+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 103 ... LastLast
    i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    If FFXI ever goes full F2P, Ill be back.
    That be the quickest way to get me to leave the game.

Gotta love those people who can't see past a small dollar sign.

If the pocket change is that much of a factor that you would play if it was free and not if its $12.95. Then you have bigger issues at hand.

F2P ruins the overall experience, and not just because you get an explosion of kids running around.

Inb4shitstorm.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

In my experience having a sub doesn't keep shit faced kids out either, I don't know where people got the idea that a sub magically keeps fucks out. I would love to go back to XI to fuck around in, but I couldn't justify another sub ontop of WoW for a game I would only really play on my offline. I agree that most companies don't do F2P right though, if it was like league of legends that would be perfect imo. I've probably spent around 200$.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I played and paid for over a decade, if I returned I would run with friends only. The other F2P newbs would have no effect on me. Only issue would be Gil Seller spam.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by aurik View Post
    Aside from Einherjar, ToAU content was teh besto Salvage, Assault, and Nyzul all blew away Dynamis and Dynamis-CoP, and was on par or better than the Proto-Omega/Proto-Ultima stuff (Promyvion? Forget what it was called...)

To this day I am still proud of being part of the first group that cleared all 4 Salvage bosses, prior to the first gigantic nerf, and all the charting/exploration work that we put into that activity. Running friendly-competitive with Ruke's crew as well was awesome. Even almost a decade later I still remember the names of the people we ran with when we did 100 salvages in 100 days. Talk about extreme raiding. So much fun.
    I remember old salvage and sharing my info with everyone else. I remember there was one "scary" zone that every was too afraid to do because it was so hard. SSR? Arra?

Salvage era was probably my favorite out of anything in FFXI. So many insane clutch moments and random luck hype as well as stupid wipes and unlocking peoples SJs only to discover they were a melee still on /blm.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post

If the pocket change is that much of a factor that you would play if it was free and not if its $12.95. Then you have bigger issues at hand.
    It is more about not wanting to feel obligated to play due to the monthly fee and being annoyed at being locked out when you stop paying for whatever reason. WoW has the same issue, and it is the main reason I never started playing 14.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordesequiel View Post
    You only came along right at the end though to be fair, when we started out it was just a small group of mates doing fun stuff. I loved the dunes because of the people I was with, then moving on to quifm then the jungle, citadel, crawlers nest... We had such a laugh.

Somewhere around that time though things started to change, docster was more interested in getting to 75 than the journey and he went off and got high level on his own, I think I hit 75 about 6 months later. By that time he was already 75 on multiple jobs and merited. He got ill irl and was using FFXI as his escape, no work to do because he was off sick and spending 20 hours a day on the game.

His actual family life suffered from it and I would honestly call it a serious addiction. Then he set up sky and dynamis shells, things were just never really the same. Avalon or w/e it was, it was all about the levels and gear not the fun. Even after abyssea, when he seemed "better" things were never really the same, I think he still plays now but I'm not sure.

Honestly, early FFXI for me was amazing. The whole experience was great and I'll always remember the friends I made, Enedin, Vlac, Fullen, Blayden, Malaki, Verrick... To name just a few!
    Took me some time to realize you posted here.

Yeah Doc was addicted. I was too, but nothing like him. We all fell for his enthusiasm but it got waaaay out of hand. Still, good memories, and I don't blame anyone here.

I remember Lorddraco. I had no idea he was Doc at first, but his insane enthusiasm (he was hellbent on getting me an Auric Dagger while moogle trials gave me 2 better daggers already) and way of talking gave him away. I played dumb and went along with it - I had so much fune following him around in Abyssea.

I still chuckle at the fact we named an entire (succesful) linkshell after I-always-use-punctuation-and-proper-spelling-Verrick's ultimate typo. I bet he found the whole thing surreal, people shouting FUNE FUNE FUNE all around Vana'Diel.

Here's all my screenshots (4238 screenshots over the course of 5 years) in 10 minutes:

Quote Originally Posted by Enedin View Post
    Took me some time to realize you posted here.

Yeah Doc was addicted. I was too, but nothing like him. We all fell for his enthusiasm but it got waaaay out of hand. Still, good memories, and I don't blame anyone here.

I remember Lorddraco. I had no idea he was Doc at first, but his insane enthusiasm (he was hellbent on getting me an Auric Dagger while moogle trials gave me 2 better daggers already) and way of talking gave him away. I played dumb and went along with it - I had so much fune following him around in Abyssea.

I still chuckle at the fact we named an entire (succesful) linkshell after I-always-use-punctuation-and-proper-spelling-Verrick's ultimate typo. I bet he found the whole thing surreal, people shouting FUNE FUNE FUNE all around Vana'Diel.

Here's all my screenshots (4238 screenshots over the course of 5 years) in 10 minutes:

Hi dude, good to hear from you. How is Vlac?! We had some good time, I recently came back but that feeling of.... I don't know, maybe being part of something huge? Like it was before, the world was gigantic, the LS had huge tough fights. I will always remember my first Kirin!

It's all a little smaller today, for better or for worse! Nice to see some familiar faces though

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

If it was F2P I'd probably mess around, but nothing serious. Just like so many free servers offered. It's just not worth it for me at this point personally. I'm not crapping on those that love it and put a ton of time into it. For me, I NEED to put that kind of time into a job/profession. I just can't do it like I used to. But, it would be fun to have actual support from SE (if it was F2P) versus the free servers. Not bagging on them 100%, but some servers I played on were straight up terrible. I actually hope it does go F2P just so I can kill some gobs and what not with cool BG peeps!

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    That be the quickest way to get me to leave the game.

F2P ruins the overall experience, and not just because you get an explosion of kids running around.

Inb4shitstorm.
    Never understood it myself. People spend way more than 12 dollars a month on things they don't need at all they just don't add it up. Just baffles me how people still use that excuse lol.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

What I always told people who complain about the monthly fee: skip two fast food meals per month and you can afford a month of FFXI, or whatever MMO tickles your fancy. Healthier for you, too.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

except for the whole black-hole effect where it sucks you in and you spend all your waking free time sitting on your ass playing the game

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    Never understood it myself. People spend way more than 12 dollars a month on things they don't need at all they just don't add it up. Just baffles me how people still use that excuse lol.
    Yeah, I never got that either. Not going out for a third of a night drinking with friends once a month is enough. And if you're playing FFXI, you'll skip many of those nights anyway. You're actually saving money by playing FFXI.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    except for the whole black-hole effect where it sucks you in and you spend all your waking free time sitting on your ass playing the game
    This, honestly. I just resubbed to WoW a week ago and I've literally done nothing but play for the past five days straight. It isn't that the monthly fee is a drawback to an MMO, it's the fact that it's there and it's so easy to get obsessed with it all over again, despite having "quit" several times now. (Though at this point, I'm prepared to say that I'm just "taking a break" from WoW whenever I unsub because I'm generally always going to come back.)

As for XI, I don't want to pay to start over from scratch again. If it went F2P I might log in just to wander around the zones I remembered from the old days, and I wouldn't feel bad if I didn't stick with it - because honestly all I want out of that game is one more run around, like a last hurrah. I quit so suddenly in 2009 that I never had that. Maybe it's stupid and sentimental but I think that's basically the reason why I feel like I never got closure on the game.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    Of course you'd agree with me. This is why we are friends.
    I think..

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Okay, Zi'Tah piano music can stay forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    If FFXI ever goes full F2P, Ill be back.
    Might want to check out the private servers scene then.

There's a 75 cap server that enables content only up to ToAU, been playing on there for a year and a half and it really feels like jumping into a time machine sometimes. 100% free, too.

More info: http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/119...ty-FFXI-Server

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I spoke to someone a few days ago on a private working 99 server. Unless I got it totally wrong.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I think he mentioned a level 75 server because some people liked the game before the level cap increase and want to go back, kind of like people made private Vanilla servers for WoW.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    I think he mentioned a level 75 server because some people liked the game before the level cap increase and want to go back, kind of like people made private Vanilla servers for WoW.
    True, but just saying there's 99 too, separately.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Okay, Zi'Tah piano music can stay forever.
    And it will; Woozie is the one you hear playing it.