• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 151 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 107 ... LastLast
    BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Retrieving/C.D/Searain View Post
    You're both missing the point, as did others. I was a single sophomore in university when I started playing XI, had about 0 responsibilities and pretty much all the time in the world and could afford doing fuck all with it.

Fast forward to 2k15, I'm 34, I'm employed and also run my own business on the side, I own an adorable yet dastardly dachschund who never seems to run out of energy and I've been living with a SO for the past 7 years - it's not that I can't afford paying XI measly monthly fee, in fact my apartment and car are paid off, my gf is a journalist and, despite the crippling financial crisis that's been plaguing our country for the past decade, we're pretty well off for our age (I guess not having kids helps), the problem is that neither my fiancee nor anyone in our circle of friends is into videogames, thus, there's no way I could ever justify paying even .50/month to keep playing a game I have, for all intents and purposes, already bought, without looking either like a dork or like an egotistical manchild;

these are people who don't know a damn thing about gaming (let alone online gaming) beyond Angry Birds because they stopped caring when they got out of puberty, which was around the time the first Playstation went mainstream (just like your parents and all the systems being "Nintendos", does it ring a bell?) and who just wouldn't get that, as far as entertainment goes, you'd be getting a better mileage off of those 12.95 than you would spending a commensurate amount going out.

...and yes, as unreasonable as it may sound, I could probably go off and buy 5 PS4 games and it'd be less frowned upon than paying month in, month out for a MMO. Go figure uh.

Bottom line, for a lot of people playing videogames at 30+ just isn't socially acceptable anymore, so you've got to try your best to be as low-key as possible (and I'm absolutely fine with it because aside from the gaming thing we're having a terrific relationship left, right and center and my friends are total bros, so whatever).

Betcha a lot of people posting in this thread can only afford playing at night for a couple of hours when everyone else is asleep and they have to match whatever amount of money they're spending on games with a similarly expensive gifts for their kids and/or SO (that's what I had to do when I bought my last console) or else they'll be called out on it.

Furthermore, the sheer fact that I'm paying for a service would then prompt me to get the most out of it (which means playing way more than I'm comfortable with) or else I'd feel like I'm wasting money, and, given the amount of RL commitments my day is comprised of, I don't think I could get away with that either. Catch my drift?

That's why free private servers or F2P would be perfect and I'd expect an adult to at least see where we're coming from instead of going "hurrdurr you cheapskates".
    I'm 34. Keep your anecdotes to yourself.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    Ryan gets everything perfectly backwards.

Game goes f2p -> people (like me) are willing to keep it installed and help out if a friend pings us -> quality of game life is generally improved and people can get more things done

Even if it does make the game less profitable and accelerate its demise, Xbox and PS2 only have about a year left anyway. I'd bet PC follows them sooner than you might think.
    The game isn't going F2P, its already been said. Nobody in this thread has control over that so pointless debate.

Also kinda silly how someone who is 35 has to hide his hobbies and interests, damn that must suck.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Once again, the amount of judgment in this thread is ridiculous. Seriously, can we talk about something else?

Like, remember how getting to Sea the first time it was basically an initiation rite to get killed by a UFO, and wonder what the fuck, like where did that even come from? Then your friends tell you after you die, "Oh, by the way, you're supposed to keep an eye up above so those don't swoop down and eat you."

And the Hpmede (sp?) that would follow you around, I loved those little non-aggressive dolphin wannabes.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

aks. You told that EXACT story earlier in the thread.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Did I? lol I was just trying to change the subject. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post

Also kinda silly how someone who is 35 has to hide his hobbies and interests, damn that must suck.
    I ain't hiding anything but I'm not being hrdcoregamerzallupinthisbitchyo either (and gaming doesn't take precedence over anything else in RL, it's just a passtime/hobby, one of several, you'll never catch me arguing over) because I'd look like a fool among my peers, heaven forbid.

I dunno how it works in the US but if we went out for dinner with new people and I was totally up-front about being a "gamer" I'd be the butt of every joke for months afterward, not even 20-somethings do that, let alone people well into their 30's. If it's different where you live (could it be a cultural thing? Might very well be...), then more power to you.

Besides, wanna know what sucks? Thinking that only your opinion/point of view matters and that whoever disagrees, no matter the circumstances, is doing it wrong. You've got to be one hilariously fun fella to have around, now, have a cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    I'm 34. Keep your anecdotes to yourself.
    Cause all 34 yr old people are the same, right? I was just giving my side of the story in hopes that those advocating the 12.95 would've maybe, you know, considered that the monthly fee might not work for everyone and that the game itself has very little to do with it. Thanks for your insightful reply though.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Personally, I think using age in an argument is silly.

As for the game. Takes them what, 13 years to make the best costumes ever? Look at that fucking porogo costume! Best ever!

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    Personally, I think using age in an argument is silly.

As for the game. Takes them what, 13 years to make the best costumes ever? Look at that fucking porogo costume! Best ever!
    Did they ever make a Dhamel costume? If so, IM BAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    Do whatcha want, but the game going free to play ruin it for good. Just because you don't like it enough to pay for it.
    It's already ruined for many because the people they gave a shit about in the community do not play anymore, and let's be honest, it was the community that made it worth it. Personally, once people started leaving, and the completely stupid 'Crysta' system was fully implemented, it was taking me more time to set up payments for my wife and I than I was playing, due to card issues. I ended up waiting for our initial stock of Crysta to run out, and that was that. Take away the heartburn, and sure, I bet I could get a few friends to tinker around again, but it isn't worth several people each paying ~$15 a month (do not forget mules) to screw around for a night or two a month.

It is not an insult against you if you want to still play, it is just that for many former players it is not worth playing any more for many reasons, and the cost is often just the last straw.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Retrieving/C.D/Searain View Post
    I ain't hiding anything but I'm not being hrdcoregamerzallupinthisbitchyo either (and gaming doesn't take precedence over anything else in RL, it's just a passtime/hobby, one of several, you'll never catch me arguing over) because I'd look like a fool among my peers, heaven forbid.

I dunno how it works in the US but if we went out for dinner with new people and I was totally up-front about being a "gamer" I'd be the butt of every joke for months afterward, not even 20-somethings do that, let alone people well into their 30's. If it's different where you live (could it be a cultural thing? Might very well be...), then more power to you.

Besides, wanna know what sucks? Thinking that only your opinion/point of view matters and that whoever disagrees, no matter the circumstances, is doing it wrong. You've got to be one hilariously fun fella to have around, now, have a cookie.

Cause all 34 yr old people are the same, right? I was just giving my side of the story in hopes that those advocating the 12.95 would've maybe, you know, considered that the monthly fee might not work for everyone and that the game itself has very little to do with it. Thanks for your insightful reply though.
    The only one who is acting like their opinion is the gospel truth is you, pal.

I'd give more insightful commentary but you've already got your mind set that gamers and hobbyists in their 30s are the exception.

Protip: You can still have hobbies.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Y'all Plowing up a nostalgia thread, the irony is not lost on me.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    Y'all Plowing up a nostalgia thread, the irony is not lost on me.
    We apologize for the inconvenience. ^.^v

Banned.

BG Level

If I had such shitty friends that they looked down on me and judged me for any of my hobbies, I'd find new friends. I don't see how/why FFXI has to be some "dirty secret" you have to hide from prying eyes unless you're extremely paranoid and insecure. It's no different from any other game. Maybe you need to find people with similar interests? Your "friends" don't seem very supportive

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    It's already ruined for many because the people they gave a shit about in the community do not play anymore, and let's be honest, it was the community that made it worth it. Personally, once people started leaving, and the completely stupid 'Crysta' system was fully implemented, it was taking me more time to set up payments for my wife and I than I was playing, due to card issues. I ended up waiting for our initial stock of Crysta to run out, and that was that. Take away the heartburn, and sure, I bet I could get a few friends to tinker around again, but it isn't worth several people each paying ~$15 a month (do not forget mules) to screw around for a night or two a month.

It is not an insult against you if you want to still play, it is just that for many former players it is not worth playing any more for many reasons, and the cost is often just the last straw.
    Matter of opinion on it being ruined now. Won't get far in a debate on that area.

As for the money if its honestly worth mentioning then people are either too money conscience to enjoy themselves (doesn't matter if it's hours or days on FFXI) or too poor and shouldn't be on the game.

We waste so much money on Starbucks, smoking, drinking, etc why the hell is $15 an issue for people?

Either you want on or you dont, and I don't like black and white statements.

I haven't been on the game or doing the front page of BG wiki for close to 2 months (because I can't ATM), and did I cancel my account temporarily over the fact I can't even play? No, so honestly I find it borderline whining over drops in our financial buckets in life.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Meanwhile, Searain is on the nasomi server all day every day so.... kinda bullshit anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatedregret View Post
    Meanwhile, Searain is afk most of the day on a free private server while he's at work (not to mention, he's not the only one with access to his account either), popping in here and there during downtime to chit chat and crack some jokes out of boredom.
    Fixed it for you <3

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Idiots.

No MMO is worth a mandatory monthly fee to play these days. Come at me, bro.

Otherwise, I can relate to keeping hobbies on the down low. Stuff like MMOs you're not going to see people "get" unless they play them, themselves. Heck, the fact there's no pause button can fly over the heads of some. Setting aside a scheduled block of time to do something with a bunch of other online people? Neeerrrrd! Or, "Don't you have something better to do?" While such isn't enough to deter me from still gaming in my own way(s), I tend to see this behavior manifest in other activities like watching anime or even reading manga. So, yeah, they're free to think the hobby is immature, but I'm equally inclined to spending so much to get shit-face drunk is equally juvenile, if not worse. Arguments of cost efficiency may ring true relative to other games or overall "night out" references, but it also seems to me MMOs have done a good job conditioning people into believing they're getting a good value precisely for such reasons when the actual quality of releases, well, sucks. Fans of a specific game will forever refute such, of course, but I'd say games trending more and more toward F2P, or at least B2P, is indicative of people overall slowly catching on to this reality. And as has been stated, a lack of sub diminished the "need" to get your money's worth. Or as Byrth put, makes it pretty easy to swoop in and help a buddy when the mood strikes and you're able, no real strings. Frankly, I think having 2-3 games to hop between is more objectively healthy than putting all your eggs into one (time sink-y) basket. And at that point, it's not just $15/mo, but more like $30-45 with subs involved. All that little shit adds up when you add other little creature comforts like Netflix or even decent internet to run it all. Cheapskate adults? Maybe. Some could argue there are plenty of financially irresponsible ones out there, too.

Whatever critique I personally levy against XI, however, I still care about the game. I'm not a fan of the current private scene at the moment and lack the hardware and code know-how to churn out something more to my liking. This is largely why I hope XI goes F2P at some point after Rhapsodies concludes, for the mix of stability and lacking host ego(s). I find that environment more likely to facilitate reuniting the proverbial gang and not so much the deathblow anti-F2Pers are quick to accuse. Being okay with SE otherwise hanging up their XI hat is another can of worms.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

F2P could revive the game for all it matters.
    It still ruin it by making SE the RMTs. We see how well they run the rest of it.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by vivbiibasjiu View Post
    If I had such shitty friends that they looked down on me and judged me for any of my hobbies, I'd find new friends. I don't see how/why FFXI has to be some "dirty secret" you have to hide from prying eyes unless you're extremely paranoid and insecure. It's no different from any other game. Maybe you need to find people with similar interests? Your "friends" don't seem very supportive
    I just remind any snooty types they have a shitty hobby I could judge but I don't, because I like them.
    *cough* crying when your sports team loses games or pitching a hissy fit when the gym is closed */cough*

Seriously if your friends are so critical that you can't do certain things without their approval you might want to grow a pair or seek better friends. But if they're trying to stop your growing obsession with an MMO then perhaps you should heed their counsel.