• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 90 of 151 FirstFirst ... 40 80 88 89 90 91 92 100 140 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Definitely one of those reasons why warping or death porting were probably preferred.
    God so many places were like that back in the day and heaven forbid you accidentally changed your hp to there. Bonus grieve if it was an area you really got lucky to survive getting to in the first place on any job

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    I'm with you on the long pop windows but everything else you mentioned I would argue

especially having to sneak to jeuno at 20. memories of autorun with a constantly swiveling camera. also sneaking to SSG on DRG to change wyvern name. good times.
    It legitimately took me two hours to walk to Jeuno for the very first time from the dunes. I hugged every wall there was, waited for mobs to pat back and forth so I could run by, wondering if that scary new creature would aggro or not. Not having my maps sucked.

But that was what made the game special; you worked for EVERYTHING, so you appreciated it. Sure, you were cursing the whole time, and improving on your character took ages, but man once you progress, even a little? So gratifying.

I came back and played around for a few months in 2016, and it's just not the same. The friends I would log on and see every day without fail are all gone, my friends list, maxed out years ago, are all offline. Permanently. I moved through old zones and kept remembering some adventure I had with people in it, how fun and excited I was to overcome some challenge; and now they're empty, not a soul for miles. Everyone is doing this content I can't make heads or tails of. Really bittersweet. You want so bad to relive the joy you had back then, but somehow being able to play the game and not getting the same experience anymore makes it all the more painful.

It's cliche but true; you really can't go home again.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    It legitimately took me two hours to walk to Jeuno for the very first time from the dunes. I hugged every wall there was, waited for mobs to pat back and forth so I could run by, wondering if that scary new creature would aggro or not. Not having my maps sucked.

But that was what made the game special; you worked for EVERYTHING, so you appreciated it. Sure, you were cursing the whole time, and improving on your character took ages, but man once you progress, even a little? So gratifying.

I came back and played around for a few months in 2016, and it's just not the same. The friends I would log on and see every day without fail are all gone, my friends list, maxed out years ago, are all offline. Permanently. I moved through old zones and kept remembering some adventure I had with people in it, how fun and excited I was to overcome some challenge; and now they're empty, not a soul for miles. Everyone is doing this content I can't make heads or tails of. Really bittersweet. You want so bad to relive the joy you had back then, but somehow being able to play the game and not getting the same experience anymore makes it all the more painful.

Even if people were doing same content as back then, or in a private server. The feel will never be the same.

The 'adrenaline' of running to jeuno, is not there, you know the way, you know what to expect and all.

It's all different

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

And then when you finally made it: Sitting around to complete that quest to unlock your chocobo. I think that and getting my full Paladin AF set were probably my favorite achievements back in the day.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I remember tabling serket as a monk. Or claiming simurgh and getting boots when NA didn't camp it yet. Baller!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Garona

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Even if people were doing same content as back then, or in a private server. The feel will never be the same.

The 'adrenaline' of running to jeuno, is not there, you know the way, you know what to expect and all.

It's all different
    This reminds me specifically when I ran to Jueno the first time from Sandoria. I was a level 18 WHM and I got a tell about coming to heal a group (he was also power leveling) in Qufim but I didn't have the map so he blindly guided me to Jeuno and it was the most intense run ever, lol. So many tigers and goblins along the way but I somehow made it. Man, I miss those first time feelings in a MMO that "mattered".

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deecup Delight
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    oh totally. and it worked. that's why I say it's like... an awful game, but wonderful too. there is no sense of community in FFXIV like there was in Valkurm Dunes man.
    Funniest thing the other day in FFXIV, a guy pops up in my PoTD named "Valkurm Dunes". However, like you said no sense of community in XIV, so I didn't even notice until he raised me, because I died due to a roaming gobbie (what are the odds?!) I couldn't resist to make the joke: "Sorry Valkurm Dunes, I couldn't zone the gobbie." I should have a pic of it somewhere...

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Yep. Not to mention sneaking is a very important skill throughout the game so being forced to learn early was smart design.

I remember taking the Meriphataud route even though I was Bastokan, just because it had that nice little safe path throughout the map. Only problem being Sauromugue was so treacherous. Definitely made a few runs near a raptor praying it wouldn't aggro.

Even as a noob, you had all those little accomplishments throughout the beginning of the game to keep you motivated.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Especially early on when you didn't have any idea about oils/powders. Getting there from Bastok was the worst. Couldn't figure out why the Quadavs would turn around and beeline at me. I remember dying twice, saying fuck it and going through Jugner instead.

Not proud of how much after that it took me to learn Quadavs were sound aggro..

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meliadoul Tinjeru
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I had a JP I met from my first party in the dunes try and help me and another guy get to Jeuno. We were about halfway through Jugner when he aggro'd a tiger and ate dirt. We sat there for a bit and he just said "Good luck!" with some little face. So, off we went. Other guy died about two minutes later. I managed to make it through most of Battalia before a random tiger came over a hill and killed me. Was about to home point when a WHM gave me a raise and walked me the rest of the way.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Before 360 support ended, I did a mad dash to get as many achievements as I could. Almost got them all--the only one I missed was the Ballista one because nobody ever played anymore

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Did they ever end up using the boat at Norg for anything?

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

It attacks the Selbina/Mhaura ferries.

Duh.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

To this day I haven't found a final boss that was as amazing as this:

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Did they ever end up using the boat at Norg for anything?
    Yes! They actually did with the Rhapsodies of Vanadiel storyline.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyis. View Post
    Looking through some of my old pics now and I forgot how often I, and everyone else, wore a diaper.
    Diapers. Everywhere.

Spoiler: show

Bro! Lets go back all in and strut our shit AF2 pimp hat way strong! Back slapping bitches and shit.

Is AF2 rdm hat still a huge deal? Is drk apoc still a big deal?

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    Yes! They actually did with the Rhapsodies of Vanadiel storyline.
    Wait what?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Wait what?
    It became a ferry zone to...somewhere? Maybe Reisenjima. Or maybe it was only used in a cutscene. But I definitely remember it being given a use as a wink and a nod to longtime players.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    It became a ferry zone to...somewhere? Maybe Reisenjima. Or maybe it was only used in a cutscene. But I definitely remember it being given a use as a wink and a nod to longtime players.
    Think it was only cs.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Bro! Lets go back all in and strut our shit AF2 pimp hat way strong! Back slapping bitches and shit.

Is AF2 rdm hat still a huge deal? Is drk apoc still a big deal?
    Fun fact. When I quit there were exactly 3 items I left on my character. AF1 hat, AF1 hat +1, and AF2 hat. Every other rare/ex item was tossed.

Char had to die with a hat and a beard, and that's it.