• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 115 of 151 FirstFirst ... 65 105 113 114 115 116 117 125 ... LastLast
    BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Yeah, BRD/NIN tanking was fine but you had to bring another bard to give Marches.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lrak Sevenspears
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

NIN/RDM was fun, shame I only got to do it a couple of times at khim

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Rdm/nin was my jam. I tanked everything on it. A big reason I quit was them adjusting the enmity on sleep/dispel/blind when they raised the cap to 80.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I miss old rdm/nin. With enough gear and macros and skill you could be a pro tank, solid nuker, solo melee or kiting, kite after your pt wipes etc. Then came the nerfs

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Both Mazurkas generated insane hate but it was only after they added Raptor to the game that people used it for anything more than a novelty since it could be used when subbed.
    I still can't believe how effective that was. When I first saw it I thought our NIN forgot to switch SJs.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yagrush whm/min with nas was pretty nice too

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    I miss old rdm/nin. With enough gear and macros and skill you could be a pro tank, solid nuker, solo melee or kiting, kite after your pt wipes etc. Then came the nerfs
    what were the nerfs that hit rdm anyway? i quit long before all that

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyis. View Post
    what were the nerfs that hit rdm anyway? i quit long before all that
    Was a few things. For tanking it was kind of killing all the enmity related stuff though that hit drk /drk pretty hard too. Then they went after brd and I think even whm emnity.

For other stuff they started giving mobs either flat out immunity to pretty much all debuffs (but especially bind, sleep, and gravity) or a new kind of soft immunity they invented with immunobreak where you basically could only land debuffs with immunobreak. Semi related though it hit blms worse around then was the thing that increased mob resistance to magic dmg to nms in short period of time that gave direct reductions to dmg. Also somewhat indirect but adding sch really dug into rdms utility since was a better healer and support outside of refresh. Was even better at phalanxing lol

BG Level

the bind, sleep, & gravity thing sounds like it would've really fucked up soloing too. i definitely would've quit if my soloing got kiboshed

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Was mostly new nms going forward from mid aht urghan era but yeah kiting kind of stopped being a thing for stuff after that

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by mallister View Post
    one of the shells i was in really struggled with the omega fight, like they struggled with nearly everything, because our leadership thought there were two tanks: paladin/war and nin/war. no one had a -dmg set or even knew what one was. a couple of us got tired of getting face fucked on content everyone else was steam rolling and finally convinced them to let us try nin/drk on omega. that shit was so easy in comparison, and so much fun. same thing when we finally convinced them to let us melee burn kirin.

i knew a lot of people that were convinced they were totally endgame players, and that meant sky and limbus once a week. i really wished i'd have left that shit behind and moved on sooner, but these were my friends and were a lot of the reason i played to begin with.
    Identical situation for me. I was definitely on the more "cutting edge" of players in my original social / burgeoning endgame shell; candidly, posts on BG had a lot to do with it. Had been with the original group since NA launch, so plenty of emotions/guilt factored in. Finally cut the cord in like late 2006 and it was the best decision ever. Actually ended up taking over leadership of the new shell after 1.5 years or so and running it for 2-3 years after (SymbiosisR); turned it into a merc company where everything was sold / split and we crushed it on Sandworm with some sold king abjs, etc.

As an aside, I still firmly believe the merc model was the best way to go. No loot drama, everyone gets paid based proportionately on time put in, etc. The only down side was having to be super anal about point record-keeping; I also had a substantial Excel accounting log of sales/distributions/etc that I'd post once a week. Funded half my Apoc with point cash-outs; lucky speed belt drop in KS99 finished it off.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I shouted for someone to make me some dusk gloves because none have been on AH for a week. Synthed +1 1/1 for me! I know it's somewhat meaningless in the long run, but I really enjoy taking my time exping jobs I like so I'll get a ton of use out of them. Also, finally popped Biast and got P.Helm!
    Did something like that a few months back. BRD had been sitting at lvl1 with 0xp for years. Decided to go old camps with trusts to level it up. Bubu peninsula, Qufim, the jungles, GC, CN, the works. Even doing places like trolls on Mt. Z that I vaguely remembered as having a few parties there. Only got tricky 75+ trying to remember places where they replaced mobs in low level areas with 80+ enemies.

BG Level

did you xp in the gimpest gear possible in proper brd fashion

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

More or less. Whatever ra/ex crap I happened to have that wasn't on a mule. But I'm not sure what a proper brd should have worn anyway. My first jobs were blu and bst, so not like I saw parties outside of LS/friends anyway.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xantavia View Post
    But I'm not sure what a proper brd should have worn anyway.
    subligars. only subligars.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Am I doing it right?
    Spoiler: show

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Did something like that a few months back. BRD had been sitting at lvl1 with 0xp for years. Decided to go old camps with trusts to level it up. Bubu peninsula, Qufim, the jungles, GC, CN, the works. Even doing places like trolls on Mt. Z that I vaguely remembered as having a few parties there. Only got tricky 75+ trying to remember places where they replaced mobs in low level areas with 80+ enemies.
    I recently finished Thief. Exp'd a ton on birds in Caedarva Mire starting around 75 I want to say. Links were somewhat a problem but got chain 40 a number of times. Bounced around to some other random spots and finished on worms and baby Genbu's in Gustav Tunnel. Using back to back Escha Ring and one Emperor band charge I went from 95-97 in under a half hour. At one point my exp watch said I was averaging 550K/hr exp. Was a blast doing that.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Am I doing it right?
    Spoiler: show
    you are doing it so right

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Memora De La Stona from distant worlds.

Going to see this and I hope they play it. Just heard it on Spotify and got chills. FFXI has the best soundtrack, truly underrated mainly due to most people never getting that far into the game.

Trying to find a way to play this song at my wedding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

As an update to the nostalgia, I finished the 2007 history today. Be sure to have a read, and let me know of additions or corrections. If you have seen this project yet, the main page is here.