Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I really wanted to like that more than I did but holy fuck it felt like I was listening to people read the comments off of March Against Monsanto fb page or something. Spent the whole hour in a permanent state of eye rolling.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Two things I learned in this episode:

1) The new Ford Explorer has nice trunk space.

2) Nothing can stop a Ford in traffic, not even a Chevy Suburban only other Fords in traffic...

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    god fucking dammit

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

I really feel that they should've given the main plot more episodes. These two episodes felt so rushed and forced to me. Tad O'Malley, Einstein, and Miller weren't great additions either. I was more interested in the older character's screentime. I guess they did what they could with less episodes, but the X-Files mythos is just not something you rush, IMO.

Also, cliffhanger finales. Ugh.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

htf can they just end it like that lol ffs

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

This would have been a great finale, if it wasn't basically a 2 episode season and fake mulder + scully were not involved.

How can Skinner not be getting more screentime? Reyes' cameo was rushed and wasted.

The plot was escalated way too quickly because they spent 3.5 episodes on MOTW stuff, which while good on the whole, really leaves you wanting more from the mythology arc episodes.

I wouldn't mind Tad O'Malley if he had 2 or 3 episodes behind him over the course of even a 12 episode season. CGB Spender needs more plotline too (though I did find it a real nice touch that he has the same face covering Jeffrey Spender did). Krychek would have been the perfect guy to send to "fetch" Mulder, but NOOOOOOOOOO. Can't have some fanservice like that in a 2 minute season.

Maybe I missed it, but the finale literally was "Wheres Mulder?" "Oops, we're all sick" "Here's Mulder" The end.

Overall: 7.5/10 for the 6 episodes.
    Mythology: 4/10. Better than some of season 8 and 9, but worse than other parts of 8 and 9 (way too rushed) and well below other seasons.

The nostalgia goggles were nice, but definitely clouding the view of the mythology arc. So much more they could have done, and they didn't even try to.

It would be a crime not to give them a 12 episode season 11 and let them do something substantial.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

i'd almost prefer just twelve MotWs tbh

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I loved it, the whole thing honestly, because I'm honestly a huge X-Files fangirl and that's never going to change. I can see its flaws and still love it or what it was.

That said, it really did need to be either/or. If it was going to have a mythology arc, it needed the entire six episodes to do that. This is Chris Carter we're talking about, so I knew there had to be some sort of main arc, but it really was rushed through and like, suddenly everyone's dying? Okay?

Bringing back CSM after all this time was the most ridiculous thing in my opinion. He literally took a fucking RPG to the face in the series finale and you mean to tell me he survived that? Come on. Even with genetic mutations I had a really hard time buying that. Let him go, Chris, and find another big bad villain. And that's not to say I don't understand - I do. Because if he'd introduced a new villain, we'd have needed more exposition which we really didn't have the time for. But literally everyone I saw who was watching it is just flabbergasted at this point that CSM survived the series finale.

I really didn't care for the Mulder and Scully copies. They seemed way too comical and basically like caricatures of Mulder and Scully. It felt like an insult to me, like you could just throw any two people into these roles. If they're going for a straight up reboot, I don't think these two characters have the same appeal of Mulder and Scully, because while Scully was always the skeptic, she was very rarely (except when played for laughs, like in Bad Blood) over-the-top about her disbelief of Mulder's theories. Sure, she didn't buy them, but a quiet eye roll or a "you can't be serious, Mulder" look went a lot further than Einstein's theatrics. I really did not like her. If Chris Carter and co. decided to reboot and bring those two on, I would not watch it. No thank you.

I too would have loved to see Krycek come retrieve Mulder. In fact, when CSM said he'd gotten someone to do it, I pretty much assumed that's who it would be. Was disappointed.

But yeah, they need a longer season if this mythology thing is going to work, or they need to scrap it and just do MotW episodes. Now that they've already set it up though, they need to at least finish what they started.

I was also really disappointed with some of their social stances they took. People making fun of the trans woman in the Were-Monster episode, the extremely anti-Islam message in Babylon, the way the finale gave credence to the anti-vaxxers, just ... it's like Chris Carter tried to be progressive but ended up depicting really vintage messages.

Oh well. I love Mulder and Scully and I can look past all the bullshit just to bask in their glory a little bit longer. I hope there's a Season 11, if only to finish what they started and save Mulder's life. And yes, I would like to see real William, not dream William. I just hope Chris Carter reads some of the articles and things fans are saying and maybe thinks a bit about what he's doing. Too much fanservice is not a good thing.

Holy shit this got long, sorry.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I would've liked it better if CSM was a cloned copy of himself, a fail-safe to be made in case the original died. I was looking forward to the mythology episodes going into this, but I ended up liking the MotW episodes a lot more. The mythology ones were way too rushed throughout and the young mulder/scully combo were really annoying.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    i'd almost prefer just twelve MotWs tbh
    Yes. The regular monster episodes are fun and interesting. The mythos episodes can just fuck off really now, they're just one setup with no payoff after another.

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

My favorite Episode was Were-Monster. That was just fun. This season was just too conspiracy theory heavy. And the Anti-vax thing in Finale really really really pissed me off. Could have gone with having food, water, or air fucked with.

Also, the time skips in the finale really annoyed me. Mulder at CSMs house looked like it took a few hours but Scullys thing looked like it took over several weeks.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

The pacing was very bad in the finale, but I certainly didn't get the anti-vax vibe from the episode. What I did get though was every conspiracy theorists wet dream though, the government covering up the existence of extra terrestrials, abductions being real but done by those in the government but with alien technology. I can just see a wacko conspiracy theorist in the corner of his room masturbating to the levels of deceit by the government by the end of the finale.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    The pacing was very bad in the finale, but I certainly didn't get the anti-vax vibe from the episode. What I did get though was every conspiracy theorists wet dream though, the government covering up the existence of extra terrestrials, abductions being real but done by those in the government but with alien technology. I can just see a wacko conspiracy theorist in the corner of his room masturbating to the levels of deceit by the government by the end of the finale.
    There was anti-vax, anti-gmo, chemtrail, every sort of anti-science conspiracy theory you can name being propped up on a pedestal. It left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    There was anti-vax, anti-gmo, chemtrail, every sort of anti-science conspiracy theory you can name being propped up on a pedestal. It left a really bad taste in my mouth.
    Well they are conspiracies.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Really? I was air masturbating with my eyes rolled as I tell my girlfriend this. Shes laughing because literally everything is a conspiracy. I want to believe, therefore I do.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

The X-Files Revival - It's official! 6 New episodes ordered

Watching the show again with gf. Her first time, my second in over 10 years. We just watched the episode where the files were discovered via a hack. It really does setup the "finale".

Things I noticed, skully really is shitty fib agent. Always getting knocked the fuck out. And they always seperated, never together when bad shit goes down. So hilarious to watch. Plus funny to see my city in the 90's.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Don't you dare talk shit about my queen Scully like that.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    Don't you dare talk shit about my queen Scully like that.
    Rewatching the show myself (I caught episodes sporadically when I was young, but never watched it chronologically), in the first couple episodes I noticed a) she was absolutely 100% out for Mulder's dick since day 1, and b) her cultural poster girl status as "the skeptic" is not even close to being deserved with what I've seen. First episode is literally "Huh, this is pretty weird, and this crazy guy says it's aliens. That's all the convincing I need, but I'm not gonna put it in the report because they would think I'm crazy too."

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

The writing of the first/sixth episode are confused. I think this is one of the messy things that should have been done differently. Joel McHale's entire character feels unnecessary. Is he supposed to be a parody of conspiracy theory quacks? It kind of seems that way. Is he supposed to be a thoughtful commentary on the way a lot of crazy conspiracy type things are actually happening on the show? It kind of seems that way. Are we supposed to like him/sympathize with his character? It sort of seems that way. Are we supposed to think his character is a nutball? It also sort of seems that way. He's badly written and so his message and his purpose turn out muddled as well.

They could have just not had the character and shown standard news reports for about 20 seconds saying that there are outbreaks of illnesses. It would have accomplished the same results in a less stupid way.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...ly-in-2017-18/
    News broke that FOX is ok with more X-Files, as are the the actors, it's just an issue of schedules. Don't expect anything until fall 2017 at the earliest, and possibly later.