+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Not to mention, plenty of the fans of the game are absolutely retarded enough to do things like buy a second copy of the game and sub it for 3 months just to get a 2 seater Chocobo. They are sitting on a gold mine with XIV.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    Not to mention, plenty of the fans of the game are absolutely retarded enough to do things like buy a second copy of the game and sub it for 3 months just to get a 2 seater Chocobo. They are sitting on a gold mine with XIV.
    This has less to do with XIV players and more to do with all mmo players ever.

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The fact that XIV hasn't been a super hit in the market is plausible, however the real exam is Heavensward. A lot of people will buy it of course, but how well it will keep those players will be, I think, the crucial point of this game's life.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Seha View Post
    The fact that XIV hasn't been a super hit in the market is plausible, however the real exam is Heavensward. A lot of people will buy it of course, but how well it will keep those players will be, I think, the crucial point of this game's life.
    Yeah talking to a few people who play or were playing XIV and are coming back or joined up for the free period a lot of them seem to be in the either lets see how good heavensward is to determine if still playing or yeah XIV is getting a little meh for X reason(s) but heavensward will fix that... BELEIVE IT!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

XIV is getting meh cause there is pretty much only 1 event worth doing every 6 months and it seems like they don't wanna change the way they release content/ilvl

Meh, I'll save myself the time of doing a long, "Why all MMOs suck today..." rant, but will at least assert it's not because things take forever with a side of whomever's first game being the standard for whichever future titles are judged. In this case, it'd be XI for most. I have no inclination to argue against XIV being a "safe" move with 2.0, but I'm also seeing little indicator that it's actually a failure (even considering the frequent misuse of the term) relative to other games that have come before. Yes, I do believe the subscription model is outdated and should no longer be mandatory for any future MMO, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone wants to throw me into the "spoiled" category because of that. And condescending asshats are just as much a piece in the decline of MMO culture. Well, online culture, really.

Still, expecting XI to go on forever is being entitled in its own way. It's SE's baby, and with that comes all rights to build up or tear down as they see fit. If the choice is as simple as spending X to make Y when spending X^2 to make Y^3 (or better) is an alternative, I suspect most people with the mind for business will take the second approach. And hey, maybe that on its own is an underlying problem with MMOs, too. They're not being run by gamers, but by shareholders. People need to stop looking at MMOs as second homes (or jobs). This'll help cut back on the disappointment of whatever other game closing down, going to F2P, or whatever else is deemed a compromise in its integrity. We're drops in a bucket in a genre with over 10 million players worldwide. I just know I feel more inclined to reward a dev after seeing they've given me what I'm after instead of paying before and hoping for the best. If WoW is the template for that, then I'm probably never going to be pleased. On the other hand, I'm also staying miles away from 2005-era XI or more recent games like Black Desert that want to break your gear if you die or basically focus on impossible-to-balance-PvP-with-consequences. Do I get that some people like such things? Sure. What percentage of that 10m+ players? Well, I'll just say they'll be nowhere close to being the fabled WoW-killer. Or maybe even the ARR-killer, for that matter.

XI is still going down gracefully, or at least as gracefully as it's able. Enjoy it, or don't. I guess bitching on message boards is F2P PVP, too.

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I'd pay a sub fee for a SAO level of VRMMO!

I honestly would too if that tech ever did hit. That's a step up in how we'd be interacting with our games, and dramatically so. Yet another WASD+Mouse blah fest, though? Meh. I'm kind of surprised there's not a Tales MMO yet that'd take more advantage of controller with its faster-paced combo-reliant combat. Maybe that's a lag thing, though.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    I honestly would too if that tech ever did hit. That's a step up in how we'd be interacting with our games, and dramatically so. Yet another WASD+Mouse blah fest, though? Meh. I'm kind of surprised there's not a Tales MMO yet that'd take more advantage of controller with its faster-paced combo-reliant combat. Maybe that's a lag thing, though.
    It already happened, went belly-up really fast.

Guess I can see why. Definitely wouldn't be how I'd approach it.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Tales of etenrnia online was pretty boss

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Anecdotally, the folks in my JP LS aren't switching to XIV. Most of them already share time between XI and DQ10 and if XI closes, they'll still not go to XIV. Some folks with PS2's will be upgrading to PC to keep playing, others won't bother. So far, no one seems interested in XIV and ARR and Heavensward have done nothing to change that. When asked about the mobile stuff, they demure about the potential of both Grandmasters and the new mobile native client... and they really love slagging off Nexon (which could have a racial component to it beyond just that they have a reputation for shitty games).

Haters gonna hate, be they JP or NA, and SE has done much to earn the derision we all throw at it.

Killed in the game, you die for real- or if your credit card payment gets screwed up.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Hell I'd pay extra for the full SAO death battle experience lol

And suddenly everyone is a crafter that never leaves town.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    It's SE's baby, and with that comes all rights to build up or tear down as they see fit.
    you'd be a great parent

Yeah, sure, let's compare raising a child to an art form.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Yeah talking to a few people who play or were playing XIV and are coming back or joined up for the free period a lot of them seem to be in the either lets see how good heavensward is to determine if still playing or yeah XIV is getting a little meh for X reason(s) but heavensward will fix that... BELEIVE IT!
    Heavensward doesn't look like it will do much of anything to change the fortunes of the game.

They add flying mounts for no reason other than because wow didn't add them last expansion, not because they think it suits the game but purely to try to attract players a annoyed about no flying in the last wow expansion.

Flying mounts makes the world seem smaller, removes most of the danger, most of the running across people in the open world, and makes you skip most of the areas. Flying mounts are bad but they add them purely because wow didn't and they try to profit of that.

The really funny part though is that they are trying to attract the kind of player that wants to skip as much content a they can to level faster, and they put stupid gear and story blocks before they can access the expansion.

Campaign
    BG Level

Flying is one of those things where the community can survive until you don't have it, but once you experience it and get used to it, it's really hard to remove it from the game without causing massive drama.
    I'm very concerned about that, was hoping they would've implemented it with serious limitations on their use but appearently it's not going to happen =/

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Uh there's a practical use for flying mounts if you can only fly from 1 floating island to another. I sense some degree of twisting the facts to fit your logic