BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Xantavia View Post
    But even after cap was 75, the bcnm fight right before Shadow Lord was still capped at 50.
    Shadow Lord wasn't. The BC fight against the skeletons prior to that fight was, if I recall.

Either way, I think there was more being considered than just making a fight difficult or not. Capping that fight, and the rank 3 dragon fight, served to push players together. CoP was released the same year as the NA PS2 version and the EU launch, so making (theoretically) low-level inclusive content was probably important to sell people on it.

The game isn't in the same state today, and won't be next year when I assume they'd still want people to be able to go do this stuff.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    Yeah shadow lord was aimed at level capped players when it was released, so that argument is pretty terrible. .
    Not really a bad argument for it. SL wasn't exactly the first mission in the line... also wasn't SL the last of the missions back when the cap was 50? Even if not yeah a fight decently down the lines of the mission line should be aimed at level capped. But the beginning ones weren't in the slightest which is the point I'm making. All the said was the beginning would be 60ish no one said you'd only need to be 60 to beat the whole thing. Can guarantee it will ramp up in difficulty

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    ToAU/WotG/ missions were all aimed at level capped players right out of the gate.

I suppose that depends on how you approached the missions. If you wanted to solo it yeah should be capped

But ToAU you could get about 2/3s of the way thru (basically until puppet in peril iirc) with a pt that wasn't capped or do it solo if capped and decently geared.

WotG I never had a group for but I solo'd all the first set or 2 that came out so I'd imagine a pt that wasn't capped could do it. Granted that was only like 1/4 of what ended up being the total amount of missions but it's certainly not like it was right out the gate you had to be capped and for all we know this ramps up that quickly

Working as intended.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by FaeQueenCory View Post
    No regular FF has ever demanded you be 99 to complete the story.
    Usually a player will grind up to 99, but the final boss can usually be beaten from about Lv68~80, depending on the game and all of what you have access to. (Sometimes even as low as 60 even!)
    Just because you may always level to 99 doesn't mean the game was designed at that way.
    Here we have an MMO, which we have to account for people other than yourself.
    And like others have pointed out: this isn't battle content, it's story content.
    Hitou's post said it best, so there is no reason to repeat a refutation.

EDIT: And, Dasva, Shadow Lord was 50. So Nation Missions went from ~10 to 50, RotZ and CoP from 60ish to 75, at least iirc.
    If this were SE's next FFXI expansion in a series to bring in new players, I would totally agree. But SE just said that this content is for the existing players and that they are no longer considering bringing in new players, and they said this in Freshly Picked. Yet, SE is making story content that will not satisfy those players. I'll say it again, SE has no comprehension of what they did regarding the March 19 announcement, unless they got some surprise for XI fans up their sleeve that we aren't privy to.

In short, no established player on this game is not without at least one piece of item level gear at this point. This is why SE made a mistake deciding to cancel FFXI's updates.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I think ure all just making a big fuss out of nothing. First mission in a series has always been easy. Doesn't matter who it's targeted at. CoP was targeted at hardcore gamers. Level requirement was still low. (Because hardcore not = high level).. But the point being the barriers to entry are fairly low.

Now the highest barrier to any mission thus far was actually Zilart cos it requires Shadow Lord completion. I cleared that at lv52 but for the JPs some did it at lv50 cap. 60 is actually a comfortable range. Some people might wanna take lower level jobs or whatnot. Let people play the way they want at the start and then ramp up the difficulty later. See also: scenario add ons

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Interesting that most of the dev team wasn't aware of the final chapter until like the end of SoA.

Matsui: I think I made Gadalar in my image (laughs). I thought it would be good to have an AI that wasn't so straightforward... I didn't think people would find it so annoying to use such a character (laughs).
    Really, Matsui? You didn't think people would be annoyed by a Trust that constantly aggros nearby mobs?

Two things in this interview confuse me, though. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong:

Matsui: As the culmination of events, the Rhapsodies of Vana'diel are being designed for those who have cleared all of the previous missions to evoke feelings of nostalgia. For those who haven't yet played those missions, I'd like to ask them to first go back and experience those as that will get them up to speed.
    If you haven't completed all of the expansion stories, will you be able to keep up with the story of "Rhapsodies"?
    Saito: The scenario is written in such a way that you don't have to have played them. But since all of the expansions have essentially independent stories, I think those who have experienced them all will have a better understanding.
    So it's designed for people who have completed previous missions, but you don't have to complete them? The expansions worked individually since the areas and events didn't really overlap with other parts of the world much, but a culmination of events evoking nostalgia presumably means that you're going back and meeting up with old friends from previous stories for that one last adventure.

If you don't have to have played those to take part, how would those NPCs you won't have met yet interact with you? Would they just appear, but not act familiar with you at all or talk about past stuff?

I wouldn't expect much past fluff greetings on the second part.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

They are trying to make a set of farewell missions tha t you can clear with sparks gear (ilvl117) without having to have done any of the missions. It is basically ensuring that people will be able to rejoin the game without recovering their acciunts, burn to 99, and do the finale missions without having to do CoP and shit again.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Wouldn't it just be cheaper to reactivate? Granted same problems are being fixed as a lot of people quit don't have missions done, probably aren't geared (definitely not by ilvl standards) and hell might even still be 75 capped for some

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

From what I've seen, the problem is with the director and very little else. There is no way ffxi is not still profitable given it has more players than many modern titles like wildstar and possibly even rift while it was still p2p.

The director wants to make this game into a xiv clone, which is not what anyone actually wants. he keeps lamenting that he can't afford to do this that and the other while not realising he really does not need to do any of that.

have any of you actually gone and looked at everquest 1 or lineage 1? both games are profitable, getting updates, ugly as sin to many, neither of them have been modernized. you make a game for the players, not for yourself. This is a lesson someone needs to learn to matsui.

The decline of ffxi and now death are all down to a guy running it that fails to understand it and his players.

It blows my mind they blew the farm on an ending instead of spending it to make the game profitable for the next 5-10 years, did he think making an ending would make people come back for more than a single month? What he did is like taking a giant smelly turd and hoping it will help sell the house.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by rate View Post
    From what I've seen, the problem is with the director and very little else. There is no way ffxi is not still profitable given it has more players than many modern titles like wildstar and possibly even rift while it was still p2p.

The director wants to make this game into a xiv clone, which is not what anyone actually wants. he keeps lamenting that he can't afford to do this that and the other while not realising he really does not need to do any of that.

have any of you actually gone and looked at everquest 1 or lineage 1? both games are profitable, getting updates, ugly as sin to many, neither of them have been modernized. you make a game for the players, not for yourself. This is a lesson someone needs to learn to matsui.

The decline of ffxi and now death are all down to a guy running it that fails to understand it and his players.

It blows my mind they blew the farm on an ending instead of spending it to make the game profitable for the next 5-10 years, did he think making an ending would make people come back for more than a single month? What he did is like taking a giant smelly turd and hoping it will help sell the house.
    i think you missed alot of lines why FFXI is not getting any major updates past november

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Except all evidence points to it not being Matsui's decision to end FFXI.

In addition, for companies like SE, something being profitable isn't enough to keep working on it. It has to be more profitable than what is projected if they moved the people working on it to a different project.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fwahm View Post
    Except all evidence points to it not being Matsui's decision to end FFXI.

In addition, for companies like SE, something being profitable isn't enough to keep working on it. It has to be more profitable than what is projected if they moved the people working on it to a different project.
    Explain ffxiv then. That game is NOT about profits.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

XIV was about salvaging the brand's reputation. if ARR failed, then it would have been a severe blow to the FF franchise.. having failed TWICE with the same title. everything since then is about profits. Heavensward most certainly is.. and its also about delivering content to its huge playerbase that demand it.

XI is clearly profitable.. but they cannot see a clear path going ahead in its current state. The PS2 environment is still an issue no matter what route they'd take using XI in its current form. If anything the native mobile app could be the new lease of life for the title.. and is truly the best shot that XI has if it actually wants to continue further down the road.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    XIV was about salvaging the brand's reputation. if ARR failed, then it would have been a severe blow to the FF franchise.. having failed TWICE with the same title. everything since then is about profits. Heavensward most certainly is.. and its also about delivering content to its huge playerbase that demand it.

XI is clearly profitable.. but they cannot see a clear path going ahead in its current state. The PS2 environment is still an issue no matter what route they'd take using XI in its current form. If anything the native mobile app could be the new lease of life for the title.. and is truly the best shot that XI has if it actually wants to continue further down the road.
    What do you classify as "huge playerbase"? XIV has comparable player numbers to old XI.

I don't see Heavensward being about profits either, its just more of the same that went into creating ARR. Spending money in the hope it will make XIV more successful than it is right now.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

I don't think it was his fault. It was probably some bigwig that saw the numbers for the latest expansion on XIV and figured that it would be their future and they don't need XI to support it anymore. So they came up with a plan to pass it off to some third party to take care of while they remove their dev staff to other projects. So a masterpiece like XI gets turned into a dinky phone game while they refocus their efforts elsewhere. I highly doubt Matsui wanted the game to end or anything close to that, you can even see in this interview how he had plans to keep XI going for a long time and how they were pumping updates out every month. There is really no point in caring about it anymore, I kinda see from your posts you seem really upset, which is understandable. The community itself had given up on XI the last year with the bashing and such, you can see it everywhere. Most of them have deep psychological issues in relation to this game. SE wasn't willing to invest in the game to improve it like other games (WoW, Everquest) from the same era and I think it will be a huge mistake on their part.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    I don't think it was his fault. It was probably some bigwig that saw the numbers for the latest expansion on XIV and figured that it would be their future and they don't need XI to support it anymore.
    Could also be console infrastructure going away. As they pointed out, Sony is basically still running PS2 support for them - there may be a limit to their generosity there. Similarly, there maybe end-of-life planning for the 360. Basically, stuff going on at an executive or behind the scenes level that they don't want to outright say for one reason or another (leaks, save face, etc).

I think if it had been done PC-first, it'd be seeing similar stuff to what EQ and such have gotten...but at the same time, the console versions probably got a lot of players to play in the first place.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post

I think Spira has hit the nail right on the head. The game's programming is no longer able to support any growth to appeal to 'new' players. They are trying anew with a fresh format.

I'm not entirely sure it's a matter of not wanting to as it was too expensive to do. The nitty gritty is a remake, sans all the PS2 (or eventual 360) limitations, is pretty much a new game. And in today's MMO landscape, that's probably at least 50 mil. Were we to be generous and say XI has 75k subscribers now, at $15/mo, a 50 mil budget would take a little shy of 45 months to recover with no fluctuation in population. 4 years is a long time and they probably would've needed about 2 years before that to produce even with the original serving as a skeleton.

The people thinking the mobile version is just going to be a direct port have likely never played a mobile game before or don't understand the limitations of the medium/hardware. Personally knowing a number of phone games, some from SE themselves, I dread to think of the P2W they'll apply. Otherwise, the combat we know of XI will not translate well to phones, nor will zone exploration. Cut-scenes, sure, but that's just storytelling.

My bigger hope is that one day SE shares the game code, or at worst, sells it on Steam or something. Eliminating the bugs of the private scene as a direct result of their reverse engineering would be a big deal alongside a broader dearth of completed content. From there, it'd really just be a matter of the hosts tweaking the environment to their liking with less room for said hosts being douchebags about making things (right).

Explain ffxiv then. That game is NOT about profits.
    Except the fact that 2.0 is the whole reason the company didn't go bankrupt.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by ColenzoRidesAgain View Post
    Except the fact that 2.0 is the whole reason the company didn't go bankrupt.
    And 1.0 was half the reason they were on the verge in the first place...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast