Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I think it's just kind of frustrating to people who still play because it sounds like they are saying "screw you" and designing content for these magic resubscribes they really plan on getting.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Restrat View Post
    I think it's just kind of frustrating to people who still play because it sounds like they are saying "screw you" and designing content for these magic resubscribes they really plan on getting.
    I think it sounds more like they might be making a second Records of Eminence style system. Perhaps it's less a single set of missions, and more a framework for all of them. The level 50-60 to start with could be because Rhapsodies (or the first battle content in it) starts after the Shadow Lord fight, like Zilart does. They do mention going off, doing CoP, and coming back to do more Rhapsodies. Maybe that's not just "you'll go XP so you can do CoP" but something like getting bonuses for doing the missions, kinda like the CP bonus on RoE Reive first-time completions now.

Building out RoE style content now also makes sense, since it's likely something they'll be able to add to easily in 2016 and on. So building RoV like that might make sense in that respect too.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by FaeQueenCory View Post
    Real opinion time:
    It's kinda really dumb to expect the story to be "zomgsohardcoreonry"...
    Because that's not the point of the story.
    The story exists to enjoy the CSs and the plot.
    This is why we have HQMNMs and Delve and Incursion and Vagary and all the other events that comprise the endgame.
    Endgame=/=the end of the story.
    (For traditional FFs think of the endgame as stuff like Weapons and extra bosses while the plot never requires you to be 99 with full 255/999s.)
    Plenty of those games required that you be an adequate level to advance though. How many years has 99 been the defacto level at this point? FFS it's not even 75, it's 50-60. That's just downright retarded. The missions don't need to me omgwtfhardcoreonly as you say, but there will literally be no one that can't complete one of these fights, if there even is any fights. If so, that's setting the stage for a set of missions in the model of what most complain that they hate, CSs only. Hopefully it's just in reference to the areas you're going to, that 50-60 is adequate to get through them, and the entire first part is just CSs + endgame Dyna area that they referenced to. Any mission fights created at that level are a waste regardless of any reasoning about returning players. Hell, in the same interview, they go into how easy it is to level up a character and get Eminence gear. If they're not going to adjust other aspects of the game due to this ease, why in the fuck would you create new mission content with this proposed "ease" in mind?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Just remember this is just the beginning of the mission line which often start out really easy. Anyways this will probably make 0 difference as far as subscriptions amongst the people continuing to play and those who quit recently and plan on resubbing just to blow thru these. No matter what they what they do for these missions it's highly doubtful that upping the difficulty on them will result in more subs especially more at the beginning so no real reason to cater to that crowd. On the other hand the people who quit at 75 and/or gearless 75-99 who were going to come back just to for these missions might not if they felt they had to lvl and gear up before even starting them. Add in the whole lvling as you go thru them thing they talked about and there is almost no reason for someone not to come back and "finish" the game

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I don't get why people have their panties in a twist at the low starting level for rhapsodies. Does anyone honestly think they'd be challenged even if the content was 99+? This is obviously going to be story driven content with maybe some mission style battles sprinkled in. Anyone hoping for one last epic battle that will challenge them with their min/max sets and multiple mythics is setting themselves up for disappointment and should probably just quit now if they have no interest in story. This doesn't mean there won't be a cool fight at the end but this content is supposedly geared for everyone so I wouldn't expect any of it to be challenging. So I can't figure out why people are getting hung up on a number when you'd be able to breeze through it either way.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

There is a difference between easy content that anyone can win in a group and fun to go unprepared solo and die a couple time (SoA mission) and mission ANYONE in RoE gear can go in in eminence gear and AFK engage and win.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah and I'm sure as it progresses they will get harder and you can't afk RoE gear it. This is just the beginning guys. It's supposed to have lower level requirements.

Original nation storyline started out at extremely low level areas which went to a level um 30 cap fight wasn't it? RoZ started a tad higher largely because of the tie in with nation quests and not being able to start it until you defeated shadowlord.... but you could easily do the early stuff in with a group 60s. CoP first fights were level 30 cap. Aht urghan didn't even have a fight till the 13th mission and that was soloable at 75 by a few jobs. Early WoTg fights were easy to solo at 75. Addons were all starting out low. Abyssea was a weird sort of attempt to return to alliance play so that had higher requirements unless of course you went slow and farmed up atmas/abyssite slowly but surely. Soa early fights can be won without too much skill with trusts and RoE type gearing.

Ya gotta have something to build up to and with a wrap up of all of ffxi history that's a lot of ramping that can be done especially since it seems like they are going to be going sorta in order of expansions and maybe simulating the feels of those areas which somewhat include how as more expansions came out the base line strength of players and content and just general mobs in areas went up.

I'm sure when we get to the final fight with Odin jumping in to say he was really the one behind all the mission end villians and possesses and merges them into 1 it will be a decently challenging fight.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

You're prolly right, I'm just dissapointed the may update will be easier than soloing a Greater Colibri.

Working as intended.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    Assuming the mobile app follows the same story and private servers are still around, that doesn't sound completely true.
    It does seem a bit silly to think that this, the most profitable FF for SE, would ever have its legacy smashed into mobile form though doesn't it? Bonus points for making it the first numbered FF whose primary platform would be mobile. It's almost embarrassing to think that SE is allowing this.

Edit: Also, how come nobody messaged me about this news?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    I'm sure when we get to the final fight with Odin jumping in to say he was really the one behind all the mission end villians and possesses and merges them into 1 it will be a decently challenging fight.
    My ideal would be that they make the missions a cakewalk for those who want to just clear the story...

But include harder repeatable versions of the fights for people who want a challenge. Much like the existing high tier battlefields. Hell, just take a couple of the Rhapsodies fights that are balanced for lv60/75/99/whatever and straight up make them KI-accessed high tier fights exactly like the current system. Hopefully some stuff with substantial rewards/drops, to give the people who want to do the high level versions a reason to do them for a while. Kinda like the high tier AA/DM fights.

Quote Originally Posted by ccl View Post
    You're prolly right, I'm just dissapointed the may update will be easier than soloing a Greater Colibri.
    I'm curious whether the May/Aug/Nov Rhapsodies updates will come alongside other actual higher level content. Even the Abyssea updates released with some non-Abyssea content, though I get that it was a different situation as far as development resources (but also not as if they had lots of devs working on FFXI non-Abyssea stuff then).

Additional content that still seems rather likely:
    - Alluvion Skirmish chapter 3 (Outer Ra'Kaznar)
    - High tier WotG battlefields
    - More unity NMs
    - ??? (I'd personally love ilevel Salvage armors, maybe ilvel Nyzul sets...)

But maybe that kind of stuff shows up in the off month updates instead. Guess we'll see.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

im not sure about others but ive always found the existence of so many difficulty tiers unnecessary.
    like.. i think VE/N/VD would suffice as giving an easy and hard mode option.. unless of course they put in the levels past normal to stretch content out (in that case, its only 1 more than what im suggesting).

and if mission battlefields give mode options i dont think we need that many either. normal and hard is enough imo.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zumi Kasumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I came back to play FFXI during the free weeks they seemed to have after each major update, finished all the SoA missions and got full set of 119 gear by soloing arc angles on my paladin the easiest difficulty, gear seemed fairly easy to get now but incredibly boring with going to abyssea to farm merits to enter fights. FFXI always made it tedious to get gear and farming merits to enter fights stuff like this is one of the reasons I don't play FFXI anymore. But I liked the story which was pretty much why I played it during the free weeks.

If they have more free weeks when they final story missions are out I will come back and do them for sure. If they don't I will buy 1 month in November to see how it all ends. But to me having 1 final story with all the old characters seems like a really nice way to end the game and go out with a bang.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Abyssea is not really that good for getting merits anymore. lvl 100+ mobs that give tons of xp per kill and a lot of content gives good xp as well. Heck if you want to oldschool it up but still want to fight higher level stuff for good xp (and get cp too) you could do MMM. Even with the runes to raise the levels of the mobs it's extremely easy to solo. I tribox just so I can do 3 runs for each one but all that really ends up doing is cutting off a couple of minutes. Normally takes about 5 minutes and get 4 merits so if that was solo probably be more like 7-8 minutes but would get more like 8 merits

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

They changed xp bands to last for like 30k xp now. Pop one of those, and if there is a double xp campaign going on as well, mandies right outside of Aldouin were giving me about 800/kill last time I did it. Its the lazy way to grab some merits, and somebody else there slows you down, but its a mindless, totally safe way to do it. No need to build up lights or level up the mobs like in abyssea.

Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    Plenty of those games required that you be an adequate level to advance though. How many years has 99 been the defacto level at this point? FFS it's not even 75, it's 50-60. That's just downright retarded. The missions don't need to me omgwtfhardcoreonly as you say, but there will literally be no one that can't complete one of these fights, if there even is any fights. If so, that's setting the stage for a set of missions in the model of what most complain that they hate, CSs only. Hopefully it's just in reference to the areas you're going to, that 50-60 is adequate to get through them, and the entire first part is just CSs + endgame Dyna area that they referenced to. Any mission fights created at that level are a waste regardless of any reasoning about returning players. Hell, in the same interview, they go into how easy it is to level up a character and get Eminence gear. If they're not going to adjust other aspects of the game due to this ease, why in the fuck would you create new mission content with this proposed "ease" in mind?
    No regular FF has ever demanded you be 99 to complete the story.
    Usually a player will grind up to 99, but the final boss can usually be beaten from about Lv68~80, depending on the game and all of what you have access to. (Sometimes even as low as 60 even!)
    Just because you may always level to 99 doesn't mean the game was designed at that way.
    Here we have an MMO, which we have to account for people other than yourself.
    And like others have pointed out: this isn't battle content, it's story content.
    Hitou's post said it best, so there is no reason to repeat a refutation.

EDIT: And, Dasva, Shadow Lord was 50. So Nation Missions went from ~10 to 50, RotZ and CoP from 60ish to 75, at least iirc.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Famitsu Interview with Matsui and Saito - Vana'diel Project

Quote Originally Posted by Zumi View Post
    I came back to play FFXI during the free weeks they seemed to have after each major update, finished all the SoA missions and got full set of 119 gear by soloing arc angles on my paladin the easiest difficulty, gear seemed fairly easy to get now but incredibly boring with going to abyssea to farm merits to enter fights. FFXI always made it tedious to get gear and farming merits to enter fights stuff like this is one of the reasons I don't play FFXI anymore. But I liked the story which was pretty much why I played it during the free weeks.

If they have more free weeks when they final story missions are out I will come back and do them for sure. If they don't I will buy 1 month in November to see how it all ends. But to me having 1 final story with all the old characters seems like a really nice way to end the game and go out with a bang.
    Yeah last night me and two others were like "I wonder if we can trio Ouryu N" but one of us was like 2 merits short of a KI.

We were somewhere in Cirdas finishing up trioing the adoulin Rafflesia NM. Killed like idk 6? vt mobs in < 2 minutes and that got 20k exp worth of merits.

And the answer was yes, btw. Trio Oreo N in like 6 minutes.

Edit: last CP farm I was in was me (BST) and DRK + trusts (COR) and we were getting something like 550-600k EXP / hr according to plugin.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by FaeQueenCory View Post
    EDIT: And, Dasva, Shadow Lord was 50. So Nation Missions went from ~10 to 50, RotZ and CoP from 60ish to 75, at least iirc.
    Well the final nation missions (though most people didn't bother going past SL back then) kind of needed 75s . Rotz basically needed 50 just because you couldn't start them till you did SL and from what I remember the first fight was moderately difficult at 60. The first CoP missions were level 30 capped though you didn't hit a lvl 60 cap fight till ultima/omega most the way thru the mission line... though some of the random uncapped fights it was quite useful to higher level jobs

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Shadow Lord was 50 cause that's what the cap was back then lol.

Iirc anyway.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Yeah shadow lord was aimed at level capped players when it was released, so that argument is pretty terrible.

CoP battlefields were level capped, so you couldn't dodge the challenge. ToAU/WotG/abyssea/SoA missions were all aimed at level capped players right out of the gate.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Shadow Lord was 50 cause that's what the cap was back then lol.

Iirc anyway.
    But even after cap was 75, the bcnm fight right before Shadow Lord was still capped at 50.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast