+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Wow, I thought SO4 was gonna be the last one. Been a long long time, since we heard from Tri-Ace.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Speaking of battle trophies, could we please not have any that require 50 plus hours of straight grinding for that single trophy..? Kthx

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Teknique View Post
    And the fact that some of the trophys were absolutely fucktarded. I cant remember specifics but for example. 255 enemy's with fayts lead pipe weapon.
    Yeah, I benefited hugely from replaying the game years later since it meant I could just start on (whatever the 2nd Hard difficulty is) from the beginning and keeping my old trophies. If you played very ideally you could get your (85%?) trophies in 2 playthroughs I think, but more like 3 considering not everyone would keep saves to get the missables on bosses (or want to do it on a harder playthrough). And one playthrough/trophy basically required you to keep Fayt, Sophia, and Peppita (god, have to waste a recruit slot on this or a blank slot) at level 1 too.

Albel for life. Maria broken as fuck. Frankly if this game is returning more to SO3's battle system I'm gonna seriously have to consider getting a PS3/4 lol

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Speaking of battle trophies, could we please not have any that require 50 plus hours of straight grinding for that single trophy..? Kthx
    I thought trophies were stupid in this game when it was on PS2, imagine my surprise when generations after would adopt that method as a general thing. I don't remember SO4 trophies but I generally don't plat so I didn't care but I imagine they weren't as stupid as 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    I feel like the only one who loved 3 (after playing through it again 5 years later) and hated everything about 4. 4's battle system was a massive downgrade, Blindsides included.

I mean in 3 you could potentially do silly crazy stuff like manually control your whole party and have it work
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bJpGGHcDdQ

(Really the only bad part about SO3's combat was needing nearly all the trophies to use FAM)
    You definitely aren't. Most people are vocal about their love for 2 or 1, but I like 3 the most overall (with 2 a very close 2nd). 4 was nice but a downgrade, blindsides look amazing but didn't really do much for you (unlike fury and AAA).

Fayt, Maria, Cliff and Nel so OP. It's a shame they only let you have 3 people because all 4 of them would fuck shit up. I kinda want SO3's complexity with SO4's flash (with SO3 like moves because generally SO4 ones sucked).

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    I kinda want SO3's complexity with SO4's flash (with SO3 like moves because generally SO4 ones sucked).
    90% of the time I felt punished for using moves in SO4 because herp derp too many hits ima activate my super armor. Then you need to stop and blindside again. Or the moves themselves last for like 10 centuries and you get hit out of it. There was no oomph, most everyone felt sluggish. Only one I really liked controlling was Reimi.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ardreul Galawen
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

As someone who doesn't have a psp or ps2, would it be too difficult to jump into SO4 or should I try to find ways to play 1-3?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
    Wow, I thought SO4 was gonna be the last one. Been a long long time, since we heard from Tri-Ace.
    Yeah, they've been developing smaller, lesser known titles like Final Fantasy XIII-2, FFXIII-3, & Phantasy Star Nova.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

90% of the time I felt punished for using moves in SO4 because herp derp too many hits ima activate my super armor. Then you need to stop and blindside again. Or the moves themselves last for like 10 centuries and you get hit out of it. There was no oomph, most everyone felt sluggish. Only one I really liked controlling was Reimi.
    I remember kiting one boss for like 10 minutes because it was the only way I was going to win.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    I remember kiting one boss for like 10 minutes because it was the only way I was going to win.
    The very first boss I had to kill this way because Faize and Edge wouldn't stop being retarded and killing themselves. That soured the rest of the game for me really. Every huge boss was a chore.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I thought trophies were stupid in this game when it was on PS2, imagine my surprise when generations after would adopt that method as a general thing. I don't remember SO4 trophies but I generally don't plat so I didn't care but I imagine they weren't as stupid as 3?
    They had individual battle trophies for each character, iirc doing them raised your skill point limit? Don't really remember...

But there were two battle trophies, defeat 30000 enemies for edge and amurat or whatever that guys name was.

I want to say you need to be controlling the character for it to count...? Don't remember, but regardless, doing these the most efficient way possible takes 50 to 60 hours of pure grinding. Each. Also don't remember if this count carried on to other save files..

You get some progress while doing everything else, but in pretty sure once you're done with EVERYTHING you would still have a lot left.

I'm pretty sure the estimated time to platinum is around 500 hours if you know exactly what you're doing and being efficient. Probably 600 to 700 doing it semi "casually" (I would hardly call someone who tries this casual.. Lol)

Personally, I don't really care for platinum. I enjoy collecting trophies, they give you an additional incentive to do and explore things you might not otherwise. Once I'm done with a game, I'm done, I don't slave away trying to platinum.. Those remaining trophies are going to still be there whenever I feel like replaying the game.

I'm pretty sure I still don't have a single platinum.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meek Marcello
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

The regular attacks in SO4 were very sluggish but not the skills and the chaining, super armor was cool because you could also activate your own super armor. SO4 had very fun combat and gameplay, I wasn't having fun with SO3 combat because it felt like you were battling the complicated combat mechanics most of the time. Lets also not forget the terrible difficulty spikes that SO3 had like the angel bitches. I first dropped the game around that part, the second time I got a lot farther near the end but I don't think I finished. All of the bosses each had a weakness in SO4 and if it was still too hard then leveling up was very easy with the bonus board.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    >>plays RPGs
    >>complains about grinding

Oh.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    >>plays RPGs
    >>complains about grinding

Oh.
    >>doesn't understand the difference between grinding and WAY TOO MUCH of it

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Yes because repeating the exact same fights for FIFTY hours is an acceptable form of grinding.

fucking lol @ grinding. It's an RPG so it's fine. 50 hours? That's nothing, back in my day you had to grind 200 hours for even 0.1% of a level.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely View Post
    The regular attacks in SO4 were very sluggish but not the skills and the chaining, super armor was cool because you could also activate your own super armor. SO4 had very fun combat and gameplay, I wasn't having fun with SO3 combat because it felt like you were battling the complicated combat mechanics most of the time. Lets also not forget the terrible difficulty spikes that SO3 had like the angel bitches.
    SO4 only had a few good attacks, everyone had 1 or 2 with Reimi having the most. Compared to Fayt/Claude, Edge was slow and clunky and super armour was limited it just wasn't a fun dynamic. Rush mode was silly too and very boring to watch. I liked the way 4 looked, but I didn't feel like I was playing a complicated game. It felt like 2 with unnecessary mechanics and more flash.

SO3 was (kinda?) complicated and suffered from not being explained well but was it really that hard to understand? Even after years the basics still sound simple to me. 100% fury gives you an aura shield to deflect light attacks, you use fury to attack so if you attacked constantly you couldn't defend yourself well. You could break enemy guards with heavy attacks (same on your guys) and slow them down etc. Was good shit and required some thinking.

I don't remember any difficulty spikes, but I haven't had trouble with difficulty since finishing SO2 in the most retarded way possible.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I don't remember any difficulty spikes, but I haven't had trouble with difficulty since finishing SO2 in the most retarded way possible.
    The big spider tanks that shat out billions of missiles, and the angel type enemies that made the AoE aura which annihilated dumb AI part members were kind of annoying. Other than that, meh.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Basics of SO3:

Side Kick + Maria.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Ayn View Post
    Basics of SO3:

Side Kick + Maria.
    Aiming Device > Aiming Device > Aiming Device > ...

Scatter Beam > Scatter Beam > Scatter Beam > ...

Did Maria even have any bad skills? lol

I did like how some skills in 2 and 3 got faster/better the more you used them (bigger Air Slash, Blade of Fury substantially faster, etc). I don't think 4 had this as much? You just sunk skill points into them or something?

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Motherfuck yes! Been needing a new Star Ocean game. Now if they can make a new Chrono game...

Aiming Device > Aiming Device > Aiming Device > ...

Scatter Beam > Scatter Beam > Scatter Beam > ...

Did Maria even have any bad skills? lol
    Nope. Add in Radiation Bots, Magnetic Field, Energy Burst, Triple Kick, Crescent Lotus etc, Maria was a death machine.

Fayt was also OP with Side Kick, Air Raid, Ethereal Blast, Dimension Door, Blade of whatevers etc.

Nel had Shockwave, Mirror Slice, Flying Guillotine, Splitting Sky, Whirlwind, Divine Wrath.

Cliff was OP as shit (like Maria levels OP) with MAX SHOCKWAVE, he also had other good attacks like Fists of Fury, Aerial Assault and Infinity Kicks.

Even Sophia was useful with Thunder Flare stun locks. Albel and Peppita were good, shit apart from Roger and that old guy everyone is useful. I really want to play 3 again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast