Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Seriously this is getting me frothy for SO3.

Emulation may be necessary.

Since we're on the topic, what settings do you guys use for 3 to run? I remember I had some crashing/stuttering issues when I played around with it, but I was(still am actually) new to emulating, so I didn't know how to fix it and moved on.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

So I'm trying to find the video by SE from a couple to few years ago that we thought may be a teaser for SO5. All I remember is that there was a rocket launch and I think the camera zoomed on a family photo (vague as shit I know)

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Tri-ace tech demo

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    So I'm trying to find the video by SE from a couple to few years ago that we thought may be a teaser for SO5. All I remember is that there was a rocket launch and I think the camera zoomed on a family photo (vague as shit I know)

I actually remember this video now, and how freaked out people were thinking it was SO5 because Fayt and Edge statues were shown. 4 years ago.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Skimming this thread makes me happy that SO3 was the Star Ocean that I played, since I've only played one of them. I can't remember anything except the ending CS for the first disk, dimensions door, side kick, hax hax crafted weapons, and bullshit grinds. I think I picked it back up once to play it over again and quit at the bunny races because you need 100 points and I had such bad luck that after 5 hours I still only had 7 points. Also there was totally one map that was stupid I had it at 99.9% and it was impossible to get that last .1%.

Are any of the other star oceans tied in with the story from that one? Just recalling it reminds me of how much I enjoyed it, and how I would totally play it again if I knew I wouldn't ADHD it within a week.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

The first SO I played was SO2, I was getting out of elementry school and going into middle school and I would bring my PS1 with me to school, to go over to my cousins house just so we both could play. We were so hyped when we found out that Til The End of Time was being made and would eventually release, when we finally got it... Although the two player aspect of the game had been butchered to just an arena play style we still had hundreds of hours poured into it.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    The first SO I played was SO2, I was getting out of elementry school and going into middle school and I would bring my PS1 with me to school, to go over to my cousins house just so we both could play. We were so hyped when we found out that Til The End of Time was being made and would eventually release, when we finally got it... Although the two player aspect of the game had been butchered to just an arena play style we still had hundreds of hours poured into it.
    SO2 was my first SO as well, and I loved the shit out of it. It was probably my favorite RPG to date. I loved the combat, the idea of multiple endings... hell even liked the characters and the whole art/style of the game... not to mention powering up new skills and such that they had.. the crafting I never really got good at but did try a lot lol. I liked making the Paintings/Portraits of characters, took a lot of Pens/ink/whatever to get them all. I miss RPGs having stuff like this ._.;... i played 1 after (I think it was a Vita re-release?). But I have not played 3 because I don't like what it makes 1 and 2 out to be...

Now i wanna go play Star Ocean 2 >___>

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Deadgye View Post
    Are any of the other star oceans tied in with the story from that one? Just recalling it reminds me of how much I enjoyed it, and how I would totally play it again if I knew I wouldn't ADHD it within a week.
    More like they try to ignore it as much as possible for some reason. 4 didn't really acknowledge it at all on account of being the earliest in the timeline (iirc), and any relations to 1 and 2 are pretty loose.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    More like they try to ignore it as much as possible for some reason. 4 didn't really acknowledge it at all on account of being the earliest in the timeline (iirc), and any relations to 1 and 2 are pretty loose.
    Isn't the main characters father in #2 the main character of #1 or has it really been too long >_>

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I meant 3's relation to 1 and 2 but yeah Claude's father was in 1 but I don't think he was "the" main character. I didn't actually play 1 though so!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    I meant 3's relation to 1 and 2 but yeah Claude's father was in 1 but I don't think he was "the" main character. I didn't actually play 1 though so!
    Oh right, I think 3's relation to one and two is essentially

Spoiler: show
    Some part in the story mentions that 1/2 take place in a video game of sorts, a VR? Its been a while since my older brother played it so I could be remembering it reaaaally wrong. But yah, its not integral to the storyline, you won't be lost if you start at 3.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

All games happen in the same universe but the stories are separate, you only miss some details and cameos

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    Oh right, I think 3's relation to one and two is essentially

Some part in the story mentions that 1/2 take place in a video game of sorts, a VR? Its been a while since my older brother played it so I could be remembering it reaaaally wrong. But yah, its not integral to the storyline, you won't be lost if you start at 3.
    They mention some worlds from 1 and 2 (I think you visit one?) and maybe reference some characters but that's about it. Compared to 1 and 2 the rest of the SO games have pretty loose links. Like in 4 you visit 1's world and setup those events or temporarily stopped them.

As for 3's twist, it basically suggests that SO universe is an alternate universe created in a program that became too sentient/uncontrollable so they decided to delete/destroy the world. SO3 is basically you finding out your world is a "game" so to speak and fighting to save it. In the end the universes are split off and essentially there becomes the real universe and Eternal Sphere.

I'm summarising a lot it's been years since I played 3.

SO2 was my first and I fucking loved it. Played that shit like 20 times with various party combinations and saw various endings etc. Even beat the last boss with limiter off while in training like a retard. SO2 had the best final boss that was actually pretty difficult, potentially even the hardest.

But SO3 curb stomped 2 in the face. The story is much better, the characters aren't quite as good (nothing beats your first) but the game play is so much more fun. The tension of the enemies chasing you, destroying shit and actually being pretty difficult (relates to the story) was great. Honestly, the only thing I want from SO games is actual space/planet exploration. Nothing crazy like Mass Effect but at least a few worlds to go between.

Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Wow Lenneth and Freya are ultimate bosses? Cool but too bad they made them chibi like.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by KuroTsuki View Post
    Since we're on the topic, what settings do you guys use for 3 to run? I remember I had some crashing/stuttering issues when I played around with it, but I was(still am actually) new to emulating, so I didn't know how to fix it and moved on.
    http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Best-...r-Star-Ocean-3

This might help.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Isn't the main characters father in #2 the main character of #1 or has it really been too long >_>
    Claude in S02 is the child of Ronyx and Illia from Star Ocean. Some of his attacks mirror his mothers and they have similar victory quotes.

Technically, Roddick was the main character in S01.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

No but he is a party member in the first game. SO1's main character was one of the cat people on that planet.

Like others, my first SO game was 2. I can't seem to find that commercial for it on youtube.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Hitoshura View Post
    Wow Lenneth and Freya are ultimate bosses? Cool but too bad they made them chibi like.
    Fighting them was my motivation for playing the extra dungeons. Freya can own you hard as hell if you're not ready for it.

Most secret bosses will own you hard, but that's the fun of them. Ethereal Queen is tri-ace staple but due to how SO3 is you can cheese them pretty easily (except for 4D).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast