Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I don't care if Opera was technically better(?), Ashton was the best bro in SO2. That 0-luck barrel-fucking son of a bitch.

I think 2 also had some weird mechanic where if 2 spells resolved at the same time they would sometimes combine (Starlight+Ray = Starlight Ray or something). It was pretty cool though 10-year old me didn't know how to do it that often.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Am I the only one that started with dejap's so1 translation?

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

iirc at the time SO2 came out emulators and translators were still struggling with the compression used in the SNES version of 1. I didn't play SO1 til a couple years after 2 had been around.

Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Am I the only one that started with dejap's so1 translation?
    I remember that! Didn't they also do Tales of Phantasia? I loved Star Ocean but could not get past this stupid cave part. I recall the main character looking more monkey like as well, and less of a wuss than the remake but maybe it's just been too long.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Hitoshura View Post
    I remember that! Didn't they also do Tales of Phantasia? I loved Star Ocean but could not get past this stupid cave part. I recall the main character looking more monkey like as well, and less of a wuss than the remake but maybe it's just been too long.
    Yes they did. That was my first tales too.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Many Screens
    Spoiler: show

Much Art

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

First Details
    (The game's target audience is Early 20's)
    Prologue:

Do the depths of space forbid peace for mankind—

Centuries after leaving Earth, after a multitude of trials, with the creation and spread of the ‘Galactic Federation,’ humanity was on the verge of unified order and peace.

But the embers of conflict have begun to burn again.

Over 6,000 light years from Earth, on the unsettled planet, ‘Feycreed.’

Just as so many times before, the waves of history begin from a remote planet.

Timeline (where it fits in the overall story):

• Space Date 10 – Star Ocean: The Last Hope
    • Space Date 346 – Star Ocean
    • Space Date 366 – Star Ocean: The Second Story
    • Space Date 537 – Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
    • Space Date 772 – Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Characters:

Fidel Camus (voiced by Kaito Ishikawa)

“I don’t care if you fail. I’ll always be there to support you. So trust me back and stand up!”

A 23 year-old man who inherited his sword skills from his father, the Leslia Kingdom’s most prominent swordsman. As the kingdom’s unstable situation persists, he uses his sword skills to protect the village’s public order.

Miki Sorvesta (voiced by Nao Toyama)

“I can be of use, too! I helped Fidel just yesterday!”

A girl who grew up with Fidel and loves him like an older brother. She always depends on Fidel, but is reliable at heart. In her village of Stahr, she is a mage with a rare healing ability.

Lilia

“I wanna know more about myself. I wanna remember more.”

A young girl who lost her memories and emotions. Fidel and company run into her during their adventure. Unable to leave her alone, the group chooses to protect her. Regardless, Miki grows attached to her, and Lilia loves her like a mother.

Areas:

Leslia Kingdom - Resides on the planet’s largest continent, Vestir, which has half of the entirety of the human population. The kingdom itself enjoyed peace and prosperity for over 300 years, thanks to the royal family. The kingdom has fallen into hard times in recent years, however, in a period known as the “Dark 7 Years.”

Stahr Village - Sits on the southern edge of Leslia and home to Fidel and Miki. Even the village isn’t spared from the effects of the Dark 7 Years. Technology-wise, though the world in general is roughly at the equivalent of the 1400s or 1500s on Earth, but with the help of special magic incantations, every city and village is able to progress on their own terms. Stahr Village specifically depends on wind energy by way of large windmills and its proximity to the ocean makes it a major fishing hub.

Seamless RTB

Real-time battles have become seamless. Events will sometimes switch directly to battles, making the scenarios more engaging. Additionally, you’ll battle against a number of enemies at once, so the nature of battles is more strategic. Cooperation with your allies is the key to victory. Players can also freely switch between characters.

Each character’s attack method varies depending on their distance from the enemy, and combos can be triggered by consecutively pressing buttons. Various skills will have different effects depending on whether they’re triggered at short or long distances, and you can use them in combination with standard attacks. This is all that’s been announced about the battle system so far, however it’s clear there are a variety of battle styles, such as cooperating with allies, consecutively striking single enemies, and attacking multiple enemies at once.

In an interview with Weekly Famitsu No. 1376, producer Shuichi Kobayashi said: “Allied party members run on an AI and attack automatically. The core combat is still the same, with the player-controlled character and their targeted enemy squaring off 1-on-1. But for boss fights, it’ll be the whole party against the boss, lending those a different flavor from normal encounters.”

Event Scenes

During the story, players will be able to enjoy a variety of situations through events. Player reactions in specific situations, such as party members being captured in an ambush, can cause branching paths, with different actions taken therefore potentially leading to different ways a given event can end.
    http://gematsu.com/2015/04/star-ocea...su-screenshots
    http://www.famitsu.com/news/201504/17076669.html

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    I don't care if Opera was technically better(?), Ashton was the best bro in SO2. That 0-luck barrel-fucking son of a bitch.

I think 2 also had some weird mechanic where if 2 spells resolved at the same time they would sometimes combine (Starlight+Ray = Starlight Ray or something). It was pretty cool though 10-year old me didn't know how to do it that often.
    I vaguely remember the spell combos, I thought it was a glitch at first but it you could combine the elements of spells together. I could never tell if I was doing more damage (or more accurately I can't remember) but the shit looked so cool I didn't care anyway.

Though how you could hear their words is beyond me.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

The characters look a little more anime-y but looks like they ported a lot of the art assets from 4 (enemies, environment. Some of those caps honestly look like direct copies of SO4 cities to my fuzzy memory). Which isn't inherently bad or lazy if the gameplay holds up.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'd love to see them bring back the different endings with each character like in 2 and 3. The whole individual "where are they now" bit they did with 4 was ok, but just didn't feel the same.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I wholly approve of Celine 2.0. I hope she has just as suggestive a mouth as her predecessor.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Higher-Res

Mmmmm, those canon fodder that have appeared in nearly every game look even better this time.

Glad they decided against the pretentious name for the leading character this time. SO2 is one of my all-time favorite games, and probably only 2nd to Final Fantasy Tactics in terms of how many times I've replayed it. SO3 and SO4 were a little disappointing, but I'm still optimistic, and I really can't wait for this to come out

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Pirian View Post
    Glad they decided against the pretentious name for the leading character this time.
    So which was more pretentious, Fayt Leingod or Edge Maverick?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

That was the struggle with SO2 for me.

I could never go with the characters that meant I had to give up Ashton and Celine.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yah I always had Celine in my group. But I think I rarely had Ashton (the one with the dragons?) cause i always forgot to go back there >__>

The only reason I took anyone else was because it took me like 2-3 playthroughs to actually find different characters. The days without guides were harsh and I would've missed a shit load if I didn't play that game obsessively.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I remember when I first played so2 I never really did the private actions. But then at this one town I decide, fuck it why not. It was the town where you got bowman or whatever the girls name was.

Talk about coincidence. Except bowman is a much superior character. I also hate choosing between Opera and Ashton. They're both awesome.

Slightly more on topic, if they do pull what they did with the Dragon Quest heroes thing and not release it on ps3 here... Looks like I may finally be purchasing a ps4.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Ayn View Post
    That was the struggle with SO2 for me.

I could never go with the characters that meant I had to give up Ashton and Celine.
    Who do you need to skip Celine for?

1 Claude
    2 Rena
    3 Celine
    4 Ashton / Opera
    5 Leon / Dias
    6 Precis / Bowman
    7 Ernest (if Opera)
    8 Noel
    9 Chisato

Unless I'm forgetting someone. So you'd only have to "choose" if you chose Opera and it would be between 2 of Celine / Noel / Chisato.

Honestly for a long time I didn't even know you could refuse to have Celine join.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

You also have the choice of Welch in the PSP version.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast