+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    I'd never even consider paying for it lol. I was on 2 diff dating sites for almost 3 years. Could rarely get a response to a message at all; and even in those cases, it never went very far (Never made it to meeting anyone lol)
    In theory that's the argument I guess. Girls who pay for the site are more serious about meeting someone and give more people a chance, so long as you meet steps 1 & 2. And face it, the numbers are going to be skewed no matter what you do.. the more barriers to entry the better the odds.

That said, internet bitches are already crazy so I'd say you're better off going hard everywhere to increase the odds of someone being normal. I only did the free game too, but I'd say I got responses from like 1/10.. then of those maybe 1/3 actually panned out into a meet. I'd think you'd run through the prospects pretty quickly on the pay sites, which is why I never tried it.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    I'd never even consider paying for it lol. I was on 2 diff dating sites for almost 3 years. Could rarely get a response to a message at all; and even in those cases, it never went very far (Never made it to meeting anyone lol)
    I've had more success with sites than CS?! Duuuuuuude

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    I've had more success with sites than CS?! Duuuuuuude
    lol check the RL thread. It's well known I have 0 luck w/ women

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Online dating for a black man can be difficult because so many white women will just automatically say no. Even though most of those chicks that say no to a black man on a dating website would be dickriding him in the club after two amaretto sours.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

OP where's the update? You hollering at bitches or what? Hope you are prepared for the next step

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Cue the Archibaldcrane signal, he had a lot of good advice in the online dating thread that is many pages deep into general now.

I personally used OKCupid for a long time, after some practice I could usually come up with starting messages that would get responses.

Read their profile, find something you like about it and ask a question about it. Always ask a question. "Sup?" "How are you?" "What's going on?" and other small talk, bullshit conversation starters, are not questions, and no one wants to hear them.

Keep the first message short, but not too short.

And Archi's best advice from the online dating thread, "Bitches love smiley faces"

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Counterpoint: Don't say Sup.

This shit was actually kind of a game to my brothers and I though. Me going hard and them living vicariously through me as theyre both whipped. Always shared victories (and funny failures) so I got a bunch of screenshots. Maybe I'll share some tonight when I get home. It won't be anything you can copypasta (and that's exactly the point), but at minimum should be pretty lulzy and give you an angle if you're srs about advice seeking. Home in a bit if I remember.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

L

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I made a thread about this in 2010 if you want to give it a browse: http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/927...es-and-or-tips

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

That thread is a blast from the past. Has Wop and Eaglestrike banned in the first page, rofl.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

who teh fuck was eaglestrike

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I have used Tinder, Bumble, and Hinge more than I care to admit; they're stupid effective and all conversations into a pretty basic formula after a while. If you're reaching out to a girl:

1) Find something unique in the profile in which you share an interest, find humorous, have visited before, etc. A favorite watering hole that you also frequent, a picture of a country to which you've visited recently, common friend, a favorite book, and so forth all work.
    2) Send a straightforward salutation along with an anecdote referencing said unique item; preferably some humor is involved.
    3) Ask a question; literally almost any question works. I've used everything from a follow-up query on the unique item referenced above to something generic like "Plans for the weekend?"
    4) She will likely respond in a like manner, hopefully with a question of her own.
    5) Respond as necessary and ask if she'd like to meet for a drink later this week / early next week.

Done; either it happens or it doesn't. If you don't get a response to your initial message, move on; no mushy follow-ups asking for her to give you a chance, etc. Have some self-respect and keep trucking. If the girl is reaching out to you to start then you really have to give off some serious serial killer vibes to fuck it up.

My three biggest tips are:

1) Remember this is just to get your foot in the door. Do not try to get their whole life story or relate your own; that's for a face to face meeting. Make it clear you're not a creeper, try to convey some sense of humor / being well-traveled / being a generally interesting person who can form complete sentences, and then set up a face to face meet. Way too many people draft essays for these exchanges; simple and concise almost always wins the day in my experience.

2) It's not personal; it's Tinder / Bumble / Hinge / whatever and sadly it's a volume business. That girl you thought was your future wife from a few pixels on a screen / trite profile bullshit didn't respond? She's not your future wife; move on. You're now on the 7th reply with that coed from University X despite asking to meet up in the third reply? Stop replying. She'll either write back "So about that drink..." or you'll never hear from her again; move on. When I first got into this, I used to get bummed out about each no response. Now, each girl I message is forgotten entirely until I receive a message back.

3) Be yourself. I have never used shitty pickup lines in real life and I don't in the virtual world. I am not a dick in real life and I try not to be online either. "Sup baby; u looking fine. Free 2nite?" might actually work for some people; more power to them. I'll stick with the normal salutation, light humor, and proper grammar because that works for me and I want to meet someone who appreciates the same types of conversation. This also means do not use a photo from two years and 70 pounds ago or say you're 6'0" when you're 5'8". You might get your foot in the door, but it's likely going to be slammed shut when they realize that you're full of shit.

I hate and love the online dating world. Hate it because it feels like I'm comparing people as though I would shit on Amazon. Love it because of the ease of access is ridiculous and I work 80 hours a week. Re-reading this makes me feel like an asshole, but if you spend long enough in this world, you realize almost everyone from both sexes approaches it in a pretty similar way. I live with a hot girl who uses all the same apps and she is way more brutal than I am. Happy hunting.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

How to start a conversation when online dating?

Some fantastic advice so far.

The Internet is a tool to meeting someone. It's not any better or worse when meeting someone at a club. With that in mind. Be yourself. The end goal is to meet in RL and not keep it online forever. So all the bullshit will eventually bubble to the surface.

Posting a decent picture is the first thing you should do. No major photoshopping (filters are fine), old pictures, you standing in front of a Bentley when you drive a Corolla. Things you should post include you smiling, 3/4 of your body, you doing something you're interested in and again smiling. No one wants a grumpy person.

Now to work on your profile. Search filters based on common interests. So be specific with your interests. You love to lift? Put gym. You love Mmo's? Put gamer. Music? Put the genre. You don't need to put 'I'm new to this'. It's cliche. Try something like looking for a partner in crime. Humour is always good.

Now third part is to go fishing. Twos things to consider. Their picture and profile. No picture or profile with any information move on. Focus on an interest first as that is your opening. Saying you're pretty is dumb. Let's say they have an interest in Gaming. You can ask them which console they recommend purchasing for a friend. Always ask questions, shows you can hold a conversation.

Once the messaging becomes more then a few lines. Ask if they're free to meet. Meet at a spot that you feel comfortable. Maybe a Starbucks or a pizza bar. Have a plan! If things go well, maybe head to a location both of you maybe interested in checking out like a local game shop. Stay away from movies unless both eager to see a movie.

Will add more later.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    who teh fuck was eaglestrike
    He lived in his mom's basement with his "differently-abled"/lazy gf and whined about both situations all the time.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by FNH View Post
    He lived in his mom's basement with his "differently-abled"/lazy gf and whined about both situations all the time.
    A GF that is lazy and whines? That is almost one of those true stereotype at this point in human existence, right?

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

omg i remember him now lolol

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    A GF that is lazy and whines? That is almost one of those true stereotype at this point in human existence, right?
    Eaglestrike was the whiner. He hated his living situation, but was too poor to move out because his gf was dependent on him. The clear advice was to get a better job(I think he delivered pizza or something) to which he shot down because he was comfortable with his current job. He wouldn't get a second job iirc because he had to be there to take care of his gf. And he wouldn't dump his soul draining gf because of guilt or something. I was upset that he was banned because reading his shit made me feel sooooo good about myself lol

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Didn't his GF have fibromyalgia or something like that? I remember his posts about his living situation and girlfriend. I think at some point his mom was going to kick them out because his mom and girlfriend didn't get along at all and they were constantly fighting.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Oh that fucking dude. He was a punk.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    Didn't his GF have fibromyalgia or something like that? I remember his posts about his living situation and girlfriend. I think at some point his mom was going to kick them out because his mom and girlfriend didn't get along at all and they were constantly fighting.
    That shit is only as debilitating as you let it be. My mom has it and goes to the gym 4 days a week and leads a fairly normal life. Granted she has her bad days, but still.

Anyway, as far as an opening line: Let's get the serious talk done first: "If you were a sandwich, what kind of sandwich would you be"

she'll either think you're crazy and ignore you or get a chuckle and respond. It's worked for me the short time I've been on tinder.