1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 17 hours, 18 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 6 hours, 41 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 10 hours, 18 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in -1 hours, -19 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Famitsu Translation - Heavensward Interview - (EU Media Event 5/18-5/20)

-----

EU Media Event Translations

Note: All translations are done by me (Slycer) - if anything sounds inaccurate or misleading, please send me a PM or reply on one of the threads and I can look into it. My focus with the translations is on readability (staying true to the content) vs. 100% robotic word-for-word accuracy which often reads as an incoherent mess.

If you're copying portions of the translation or copying it in full please link back to this original translation as I tend to edit them heavily as I re-read them several times and update them for accuracy based on other information sources.

Game Watch: Yoshida Interview
    Dengeki: Yoshida Interview
    Famitsu: Yoshida Interview <- You are here

Game Watch: Field/Dungeon Area Trial Notes
    Dengeki: Job Updates/Additions
    Game Watch: Job Updates/Additions
    Famitsu: Job Updates/Additions, Compiled Info

-----

Source: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201505/26079368.html

Note: Full translation continues into the second and third posts of this thread.

-----

On May 18 through May 20, 2015, the European wing of the media tour for Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward was held in Nantes in western France. Primarily European media were invited to this event, which was an overview of battle capabilities for all jobs at level 60 (including new jobs), the new state of item levels at 170, and new field areas, instanced dungeons, and trials. At the same time, with the upcoming release of on June 23, each of the media outlets had a chance to interview producer and director Naoki Yoshida.

This castle town was the stage for this portion of the media tour, with mountain weather that seemed to change from one minute to the next. Some of the interviews just prior were held inside because of the dark, rainy weather, but because it was beautiful outside and it had cleared up, we decided to chat behind the castle in the gardens. Here's the exchange we had, set to the sound of birds singing and leaves rustling in the wind on a cool evening.

A real life fantasy world

What was the significance of holding this media tour at a castle?

Yoshida: Since Final Fantasy XIV is a global game, the PR teams from each country gather about once every six months at global marketing summits in Japan and the United States to meet and formulate strategies around how to continue PR in each country over the coming years. Media from around the world gather at each event, and although the media tours with their presentations are things we've done many times before, since this is the first expansion pack we're releasing, each region came up with some more elaborate ideas. Among them, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, and Northern Europe teams united, and since the visual style of Heavensward is a Gothic fantasy, they proposed that we rent a castle and invite members of the media for PR.

It was immersive... the scale of the place is tremendous.

Yoshida: When the Japanese staff heard this for the first time, including myself, our reaction was "how much is that going to cost?!" But when we compared it to estimates of what it would cost to rent out other places and have separate events in each country, we realized that the budget was actually quite reasonable. Based on that, we decided "why not try it out this one time?" Actually, in France there are a lot of little countryside towns with castles many of the owners continue to maintain them so in many cases they can be rented out as event spaces but also as a hotel. So it was definitely within the PR budget that we had originally assumed (laughs).

How were the reactions of the European media?

Yoshida: A lot of them felt like "wow, that's cool!" Although it doesn't happen in Japan so much, overseas many AAA titles that launch globally do rent out and decorate hotels for their exclusive use to invite media, so really this isn't so uncommon. We wanted to try out something more elaborate than what we currently do in Japan, so we attempted this more global PR technique.

I'm guessing they hadn't seen events like this in a European castle before (laughs).

Yoshida: As an event targeted at the gaming media, we wanted to treat it more as an event for people who have loved games for a long time rather than a sleepover at a castle. Since this place is isolated from the rest of the world, even though everyone is doing their job, they're also enjoying it themselves, so it turned out really well. Hopefully everyone returns home having enjoyed their time here.

I think most people have spent half their time trying out the game and the other half hanging out in the garden taking photos (laughs).

Lots of content... where to begin?

Although the game still feels familiar, since there are new things everywhere, I have to say I was a little overwhelmed. With all this new content, where do you think more casual players should begin after the release?

Yoshida: I was originally a hardcore gamer myself, but I don't have the time anymore to be waiting on repops for rare monsters, so I also need to consider how I can play efficiently in limited amounts of time. My situation is a little different now so I don't have as much time to play, but I'm still going to have black mage as my main job so I plan on getting into the main scenario straight away. As you go through the quests, your main job will grow from level 50 to 60. As with A Realm Reborn, the main scenario also introduces new content and systems so players can grasp the new features and explore the areas and regions during the storyline and open up the Aetherytes as they go along. You'll also need to go through the main scenario to get the item required to ride flying mounts, so I think enjoying the main scenario should be everyone's first goal.

I assume you mean to do this with an existing job from level 50 to 60. So when you obtain a new job you'll have to level them later since you'll get them at level 30 and have to advance them to 60?

Yoshida: No, no, since it's a MMORPG please play it however you'd like to (laughs). It's fine if you would rather start a new job first. As long as you've completed the main scenario through patch 2.55, you'll be able to begin the quests for Heavensward starting at Camp Dragonhead where Haurchefant of House Fortemps will direct you to Ishgard.

So Haurchefant is the first step.

Yoshida: Once you go through the main quest to the point where you reach Ishgard, new quests will pop up in the town. Since you'll be able to access the three new jobs' guilds immediately at this point, you're free to unlock the new jobs so you can change to them. For those who want to put the main story on hold for a bit and instead level up the new jobs, they can begin the job quests and start on that path.

So you can also continue leveling.

Yoshida: Since the new jobs start at level 30, if you change to one of them, you won't be high enough level to participate in activities in Ishgard. Once you return to the content from A Realm Reborn and progress from level 30 to level 50, you can go back to the main scenario content in Ishgard and continue on with the main quest. By the time you finish that, you should be level 60 with the new job.

Previously, the design was such that you'd be able to get about 60% of the experience for leveling from the main scenario and side quests with the remainder from things like the hunting log and FATEs. Has this balance changed for Heavensward?

Yoshida: In A Realm Reborn it was actually set up so you could level up to about level 42 from experience from quests alone, and supplement that experience with other experience from things like dungeons and FATEs past that. This won't be any different this time around. The experience from the main scenario will be a bit short of what you need, so you'll need to try some FATEs along the way, or try out the new dungeons where you can earn experience along with obtaining new stronger equipment, or go exploring for hidden locations in the exploration log. The level of your first job will advance through the main quest, and subsequent jobs will be easier to level by other methods due to the Armoury bonus. So the best way to level will be to get to 60 first with one job so that your other jobs can gain experience more quickly, so your first goal for leveling should be to get your main job to level 60.

Ah, I see. I had forgotten about the Armoury bonus.

Yoshida: It's there because you can't get the experience from completing the main scenario a second time, so it's to help other jobs level up. Of course, you'll also gain experience from doing things like FATE or other things on the side, but the amount of experience you get from those will be lower the first time through.

And naturally things will open up as you progress your job level from 50 to 60.

Branching through field areas, and don't skip the dungeons!

Yoshida: One thing we're doing here a little differently from A Realm Reborn is that each field area will correspond to a certain level range.

I assume it'll be something like a level 52 area, a level 54 area, etc.?

Yoshida: In A Realm Reborn the way the story progressed there were parts of areas that were immediately adjacent that were used in different parts of the story so you're moving back and forth between locations a lot. The new story will move from one field area to the next so exploring each field area will be a fundamental part.

So, for example, how much time will players be spending to explore the Coerthas Western Highlands and Abalathia Sea of Clouds areas that we saw this time in the trial version?

Yoshida: After level 50 players reach Ishgard, the first place they go for the first major main scenario quest will be Coerthas Western Highlands. Abalathia Sea of Clouds is a bit unique from the rest in that it's loaded as one zone but it's divided into an upper and lower section. The upper section is totally for high levels and the lower area is around level 50 like Coerthas Western Highlands. In other words, early in the main scenario quests, players can start out either in Abalathia Sea of Clouds or in Coerthas Western Highlands.

So that's why you chose to show us those areas to experience at this event. Any reason you chose to branch it out like this?

Yoshida: We want to disperse people early on since many people will be gathering at Ishgard (laughs). Both main quests are available from the start, but things come back together pretty quickly. That said, the reason we chose those as the play areas for the PR events isn't because they are the lower level areas, it's because we wanted to avoid spoilers. If you go to the most remote places in Heavensward, the areas dominated by dragons, there are many places to where man's reach doesn't extend. However, there are still quests available from those areas, so we don't want people seeing that and saying "what's that quest from?"

I see. As I was exploring, I found what looked to be the entrance to the Dusk Vigil dungeon, even though there wasn't any quest starting point to go along with it. Although you confirmed in the trailer that eight dungeons would be released at launch, it wasn't clear whether they would be part of the main quests. Are these related to progress through the main scenario?

Yoshida: Some are like that. Four of the dungeons are intertwined with the main scenario.

And the rest will be from side quests like the Sunken Temple of Qarn?

Yoshida: Yes. But in A Realm Reborn, you were able to skip Qarn because it wasn't necessary to leveling and by the time you needed them, there were beter dungeons to clear to level up. However, since there's a first time clear bonus for the new dungeons, as well as generous experience and equipment rewards, I think it will be best to try them all out.

So they drop items as well?

Yoshida: Since we've prepared new equipment for the different roles in each dungeon, you'll want to go through them to earn new gear, even if it's just for glamour, so that should be enjoyable. Hey, let's go back indoors.

-----

We were so involved in the interview that we hadn't noticed the sky darkening at this point. All of the staff was out in the garden at that point, so we got to see Yoshida in action making quick decisions and getting everyone moving back inside in this situation.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

All about lotting

We were able to settle back into the interview in a high-ceilinged room with a fireplace. It was a little cool, and we could faintly make out the sound of rainfall from outside.

I have a bunch of questions related to the dungeons. First, after Heavensward launches, there will be content which allows parties with fewer people than before to attempt. Will there be any kind of random matching involved here?

Yoshida: If the party leader registers for content and chooses one that a smaller group can attempt, the party will enter the content as is. In this case, unfilled roles will be ignored and members will not be added from Duty Finder. This rule will only apply to certain content. It will be possible for most content from A Realm Reborn, but it will not apply to the content from Heavensward. As updates progress, we plan to further expand the content for which this applies.

I see. How will the duty roulette categorizations be changed?

Yoshida: What was previously considered "low level" will be expanded to also include dungeons meant to be used for leveling up in Heavensward and become a new "main story" category. Level 50 dungeons will be merged as "hard" dungeons, and expert dungeons will be separate on the Heavensward side. Most of the categories have been separated as either "A Realm Reborn" or "Heavensward" content. We decided to do it this way to get better matching for those who are starting out or leveling new jobs in A Realm Reborn. If players were only leveling through the main quest then it would be better to have them all as one category, but players are not just going through the main quest, they'll also be leveling the new jobs or starting other jobs, so we decided to go this path for better matching.

Although you're preparing dedicated lotting rules for raid dungeons, are you planning the story dungeons to have the same lotting rules as previous instanced dungeons?

Yoshida: It's difficult to express in words but I don't think it's that complicated, so I hope that you're fine waiting for the release... (laughs). In a pre-formed party, there will be dedicated lotting rules that you can select as part of the system. The "loot master" system is the one where the party leader has control over the items and chooses to whom they are distributed. Another option is "all greed" where players will only have the options to "greed" or "pass" an item. These two are simple. These are system settings which are newly added lot rules, they aren't changes to the basic lotting rules.

Ah, I understand now.

Yoshida: The "loot master" or "all greed" settings will take effect once a treasure chest is opened in an instanced dungeon. Items which drop from normal monsters in the area will still be distributed automatically to individual players like before regardless of the rules selected. The "loot master" and "all greed" rules can only be applied to applicable content in Party Finder. If you get matched for content in Duty Finder, only the standard need / greed / pass lotting rules will apply.

So this can be applied to instanced dungeons?

Yoshida: The exact reference in the game will be something like "lotting rules are applied upon opening a treasure chest that appears after defeating a boss." This will also apply to primals in game - if unique rules aren't selected, the standard need / greed / pass system will apply, but players can also decide to use the master loot and all greed systems for primals. However, in primal battles, the items that drop in the first place will be changed. For example, Shiva will drop crystals that can be traded in for a weapon of your choice.

So it will be like tokens. Can you explain the lotting rules for Alexander?

Yoshida: Since talking about it in pieces will create rampant speculation, I'm not going to go into any detail. We'll be unlocking the normal Alexander two weeks after Heavensward is released, and the hard mode will be unlocked four weeks after release, so we will discuss the implementation in a future letter from the producer LIVE. So we do plan to take some time to explain the hard lotting rules.

Can you tell us more about the normal rules?

Yoshida: It's fine to think of it being the same as Crystal Tower. You can try each part of Alexander as many times per week as you want, but you can only obtain one item per week. It's separate for each part, so just because you win an item from the first part, that doesn't mean you can't also win an item from the second part.

So it will help if you can beat it repeatedly. By the way, what content were the people in charge of Alexander involved with in the past?

Yoshida: It's the same staff that was in charge of the Binding, Second, and Final Coils of Bahamut.

The Coil team has worked hard.

Yoshida: They have. We wanted to incorporate raid dungeon elements to an extent, but not all of the elements, like not falling off the area. In particular, our policies for tuning the normal version were to make it so that it isn't as easy as Crystal Tower, but isn't so difficult that you can't clear it once you've got the fight memorized. We don't want it so easy that players can one shot it the first time, but we don't want it to be too hard since players will be clearing it repeatedly. It's designed in such a way that even those who aren't familiar with raids should be able to clear it with practice, but we'll be working on balancing it until the last minute.

More about jobs

In the letter from the producer LIVE, you featured information about the jobs. Because you had a lot of details there, I'd like to ask some more general questions.

Yoshida: Go ahead.

It seems like for many of the existing jobs, many new actions added for levels 50-60 are of the stance switching variety, along with changes for pre-existing actions in accordance with the stance. In addition to the items that you noted earlier, were any other changes made?

Yoshida: There were some things that came out of side-by-side comparisons of the different roles. For example, tanks are typically hitting enemies from the front, and melee DPS, in order to avoid attacks directed at the tank, position themselves to the flank or rear of the enemy. Since the accuracy value required for tanks, then, was higher than the value required for other melee DPS, we decided that it was necessary to adjust the accuracy outside of just tank equipment.

Surely that will help.

Yoshida: The accuracy [[on equipment]] will remain where it is now so pieces which don't add accuracy should again become viable options as Shield Oath, Defender, and the corresponding dark knight stance will apply an accuracy adjustment when activated. For example, Shield Oath will not only increase the amount of enmity gained from enemies, but it will also apply an accuracy increase.

Were any similar changes made for DPS or healers where actions were adjusted instead of equipment?

Yoshida: With healers, for example, Protect from white mages increases both physical and magic defense, but scholars can only increase physical defense since they equip it as an additional skill. Because of this, the true power of Protect can only be applied by a white mage. Certainly this was one of the unique characteristics of white mage, but it became an issue in Duty Finder parties where a combination of two scholars couldn't cover this. We considered this to be too large of a difference, so we added the magic defense boost to Protect used as an additional skill so that it matches that of white mage.

What about DPS?

Yoshida: For DPS, we had to fine-tune each job. For example, on Dragoon, because the animation lock after Jump was still slightly longer than the global cooldown, we adjusted Jump techniques to allow movement more quickly. In this way they become much more usable, but it was a fine tuning.

[[second part below, added at 6:20pm EST]]

Darklight equivalent gear at item level 170?

What item level are you assuming for players first entering Heavensward content?

Yoshida: You should be fine if you have gear at the level of the gear that was dropping from dungeons towards the end of the main scenario, so I think around item level 110 should be plenty. You'll be getting new gear rapidly starting from there.

You've been mentioning that the equipment levels will change in 2 level increments.

Yoshida: Yes, it will be like that.

How will gatherers and crafters be obtaining new equipment?

Yoshida: It will be mostly crafted.

Starting with the Zodiac Weapons, there were also primal weapons, philosophy tomestones, soldiery, poetics, and Crystal Tower gear to increase item levels, and the Bahamut's Coil gear that was always the strongest. Will this be similar with Heavensward?

Yoshida: The examples you mentioned are all after the level cap. Even up through level 50 it was necessary to level up your gear as you moved through the story content. You could obtain new gear from completing quests or dungeons along the way, so I think that's reminiscent of other RPGs in that regard. The growth between levels 50 and 60 will have the same kind of flow as bringing a job from level 1 to 50.

And then what, after level 60?

Yoshida: Like before at level 50, growth will continue by raising the item level with new melded equipment or content drops. However, in the 3.X series, the increases in maximum item level will be stretched further than they were in patches 2.2 and 2.4 when item levels were raised.

Since you mentioned item level 170 equipment when we were playing through the trial, at what stage will that be obtained?

Yoshida: It will be your first goal after you get to level 60.

Is this the the artifact armor?

Yoshida: No, it isn't. Referring back to A Realm Reborn, this is similar to Darklight (Philosophy) equipment.

I see. So there will be a lot above it.

Yoshida: This time there's the Allagan Tomestone of Law equipment, which can also be enhanced, normal Alexander equipment, materia melded equipment, and of course the savage Alexander equipment, so the amount of available equipment is quite wide.

Digging into other items

At the Eorzea Cafe tasting event, one topic that was discussed were "replicas," so can you tell us again about these regarding Zodiac weapons?

Yoshida: Although the Zodiac Weapons have evolved to Zeta form, there were a large number of stages with different effects up to there and comments from many people who liked some of the effects of the middle stages better than those of Zeta. Because the previous item is taken away as you continue through the stages of the Zodiac weapons, we got a lot of feedback from players who wanted to stick with one of the earlier appearances. Since Gerolt has been involved throughout the creation of the Zodiac Weapons, he remembers the forms and appearances of the old weapons, so he'll be able to prepare replicas for those who have completed the Zetas.

So it's like a gift to people who have reached the Zeta stage.

Yoshida: That's right. You'll be able to buy your favorite look from Gerolt's shop and you can apply it with glamour prisms.

How will the crafted equipment for battle jobs be positioned within the wide variety of equipment, for example as compared to dungeon drops?

Yoshida: We had some trouble with this. First off, for NQ goods, they were originally adjusted to have 80% of the performance of HQ goods. However, we decided that the performance difference was too great, so we've decided that NQ goods will be about 90% of the performance of HQ goods. However, the 10% difference is still a sizeable one.

That might increase the desirability of NQ goods a bit, but it might increase the amount listed even more.

Yoshida: The problem is that if you rely only on crafter-produced items after level 51, the supply would probably not keep up. I mentioned this back at the beginning of the interview, but I think most people will begin Heavensward by advancing through the main quest, it will only be a small minority who focus on first leveling crafters, since the locations you can access will be restricted until you can get the flying mount from the main scenario. As an example, if you're a gatherer it will obviously be advantageous to gain access to the flying mounts. Since everyone will be leveling up during the first couple of weeks, I don't think the supply could possibly keep up. Of course, there would be some crafters who would anticipate this demand, but the price would be very high because the number of items would be small relative to the number of buyers, so most people would wind up just keeping their current equipment as long as possible, which is not what we want. It would be too extreme, though, if players were forced to pay a high price for that armor in order to continue playing.

So when do you think crafters will play an active part?

Yoshida: We're giving away at least a base allocation of equipment to be able to level up through the quests. Since the level caps of all jobs will be opened, players will also develop other jobs. I think there will be later opportunities for crafters as players level up their second jobs after they finish the main quest, so I think the demand will still be quite high.

On that note, what's happening with the implementation of grade V materia?

Yoshida: We've decided on its implementation. It will initially have a very low probability to obtain. As the item levels gradually increase, the probability of getting them will increase, but it will be quite low as of 3.0. Additionally, for new equipment in general, called "new style," of course there's also "3.0 new style" equipment, which you'll be able to create starting from patch 3.05.

How will it be limited?

Yoshida: You'll need the red crafter's scrips, but items on acquired on a weekly basis like the Allagan Tomestones of Esoterics and the crafter and gatherer scrips won't be released until patch 3.05. You can use them to exchange for the recipes, but you'll need the materials from there as well.

So instead of trying to figure out which existing items to hold on to, there will be new materials which you'll need.

Yoshida: That's right, so you won't have to be troubled with what to save.

Free Company crafting

I'd like to ask a bit about company crafting and airship content. Since Free Companies can build four ships, after you install the underground workshop for house crafting and airship crafting, what are the steps involved?

Yoshida: After you install an underground workshop, company crafting will be available immediately. After you install the workshop and go to your basemenet workshop, there will be three new elements waiting. There will be the production area to perform company crafting, the control panel for the airship, and the drafting table to invent recipes. The development of new recipes will require certain items, and if you have those items when you access the drafting table, new company craft recipes will be added.

How will you obtain the items needed for the blueprints?

Yoshida: It depends on what you're making. For airship recipes, you'll find them by performing airship voyages, and what you can find will change with the rank of the airship, etc., so there's a variety of cases to consider.

How much will it cost to install the underground workshop in the first place?

Yoshida: It won't be higher than one million gil.

It seems likely that the amount of items owned by the company will increase, do you plan to expand the company chests?

Yoshida: We don't plan to expand them. That said, you will have access to the company chest from the underground workshop. For those of you who plan on performing company crafting, try to free up some space and organize your chests. Everyone in your FC already has the pudding minion from doing laps in Wanderer's Palace (laughs).

(Laughs) So items obtained from sky maps when Heavensward is released are things you can use to power up company craftings.

Yoshida: No, that's just one kind of item you can obtain, there are of course general items, "jackpot" type items, shards and crystals, and crafting materials that you can obtain in large quantities. Crafting materials are a big one, especially rare craft items, so I think crafters will want to progress with that. It will be the free company's decision how to distribute the materials. For example, you could establish your own rules like if you make an item with something our airship obtains, the Free Company needs to receive 30% of the sale, etc. Since everyone will be able to contribute through crafting and gathering, there will be a lot of roles to play.

Will wheel stands receive new actions?

Yoshida: That's right, this time around there will be special effects that are only obtained that way.

Will the amount of actions available to crafters continue to increase through level 60?

Yoshida: It will increase. You'll get them simply by leveling through level 55, after that you'll obtain actions through Specialization.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Renovating PvP?

So, about PvP. Can you tell us anything about improvements to Wolves' Den?

Yoshida: I've spoken with the PvP battle team, and the PvP roadmap for the patch 3.X series is mostly finished. We're planning for upgrades and changes step by step in patches 3.1 and 3.2 and currently reviewing the cost of taking the changes even further in patch 3.2. For patch 3.1, we plan to alter matchmaking by having a rating system be a part of it. We'll eventually be updating the content for Triple Triad battles and Wolves' Den, especially for matchmaking in Wolves' Den, but we want to make the best use of our resources.

How do you mean?

Yoshida: By introducing a season system, we can reset the ranking with each major update and then we can have certain titles or items that only top ranked players can obtain, like in League of Legends. The final goal is to introduce a system that has elements like that.

Perhaps you should prepare some official tournaments.

Yoshida: This shouldn't be a one-time thing, we plan this to be permanent. By introducing the ranking system, new seasons would have adjustments to the PvP actions based on team structures, with the goal being to have a system where fixed teams can thrive. Those are the types of changes we're talking about implementing.

So that will be around patch 3.2?

Yoshida: That's what's scheduled, but the reality is that we're still not sure, as we have to make the best use of our resources as we take a look at all content across the board.

Various topics

The end of the interview was approaching. Although it had been night for quite some time, it was still bright outside; it seemed like we were in a dream.

Going back to our first question, but including the opinions of the Japanese media, European media, and everyone, what's the consensus?

Yoshida: Now that we've published new promotional material, had actual trial play, and performed interviews, I've heard several times that they've never seen an expansion pack with this amount of content. One opinion we got a lot, especially from media from European coutnries, was that the color schemes, area maps, characters, atmosphere, and lighting in the new content are really nicely designed and are the kind of fantasy that many European players prefer, so I think we were able to get that across well.

I could definitely feel the Gothic influences and oppressiveness, especially in Coerthas Western Highlands.

Yoshida: The shading of the graphics is definitely darker this time around. Actually, there used to be lighting on the character even if there was no ambient lighting in an area, but with more of an emphasis on the image quality, we've turned it off. However, you can bring it back with a slider in the system settings to make it look more like A Realm Reborn.

Will the lighting disappear even in 2.0 areas?

Yoshida: It will. Actually, we've also changed shadows in the 2.0 areas as a whole to make them more picturesque. I think the new style is better, but if you play with the lighting and gamma, you can get it close to the original atmosphere. We got differing feedback on the brightness of the original game where some people liked it and some were troubled by it. We decided long ago that after the patch 2.55 scenario the overall atmosphere would be plunged into darkness.

(Laughs)

Yoshida: Although many things will happen in the main scenario of Heavensward, the intention is to expand the story as a true Final Fantasy game, so please try it out and give us your feedback however you can. I think that the future scenario in FFXIV will really come alive.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Added the... uh... second part of the second part. Probably a good time for people still farming Final Coil to change their focus to something more permanent. Like ponies.

Working on the third part now.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

This is amazing Slycer, thank you!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

OK, Famitsu's done, the third part was short. I'll see about the other interviews/articles but I don't expect to get to them tonight. If there's anything specific that people are hearing about from one of the other interviews, I can take a look.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Youdaman, bruh. Nice work as always.

See if there's any more information on animation locks for me. As an old-school drg, animation locks sucked back in 2004, sucked when 2.0 drg was out, and suck now. The more I hear about them being diminished, the happier I am, even if I don't play drg much anymore. Animation locks sucked on 2.0 War just as much with the stupid overpower animation being so long.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meek Marcello
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Thanks for the translation and getting it out so quick.

One thing though I was looking at this summery on reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/commen...iew_at_nantes/.
    Your translation is obviously far more indepth and accurate but it seems you might have left something out that's pretty important for the dungeons.

Entering a dungeon with fewer than the required number of players is done simply by having the party leader select a new option in DF. You won't be able to replenish roles, and there will be no level sync. (Yes it says that. [insert broken jp text here] This feature is available for most ARR content, but not Heavensward content. The plan is to make it available for more content in future updates.
    Was this bit overlook or is he just wrong, it's not explicitly stated in your translation.?

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Would be a very nice feature if that's actually how it works.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

There might not be a "Level" sync but they will assuredly implement an "Item Level" sync. You'll be able to use your new abilities from 50-60 but since the majority of your progression comes from having higher Item Level gear it still won't be faceroll if you have stats essentially capped as a ilvl130 or whatever.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I believe that is saying that you will not be able to level sync to a LV52 dungeon (i.e. "Heavensward content") if you are LV59.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

That's not what it says at all. It's talking about the feature to enter dungeons with fewer than the required number of members and without being forced to get sync'd down. This feature isn't available in Heavensward content.

Entering a level52 Heavensward dungeon at level59 will still cap you to 52.

edit: I can type

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

You're probably right. I misread that.

Prime Minister of Salt

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Omega Deathbringer
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    Added the... uh... second part of the second part. Probably a good time for people still farming Final Coil to change their focus to something more permanent. Like ponies.

Working on the third part now.
    Welp :/

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

glamours are also forever

>Glamours
    >Final Coil

ause:

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

High Allagan tier forever.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    glamours are also forever
    Not with the amount of inventory I have these days. Wardrobe system when?

Going to be a nightmare tossing shit to make room in my armoury for new leveling gear + new jobs + going back to 8 sets of DoH gear.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Not with the amount of inventory I have these days. Wardrobe system when?
    When yoshi plays XI and realizes they can actually get creative in working around 'limitations.' I'm content with a porter mog system that can store everything relevant, since 99% of crafted stuff/aetherial shit is worthless once you hit cap anyway.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Porter mog was a slow pain in the ass to use though, and they never got around to making it usable from within your MH like you could on the test server last I checked. Even with 640 usable inventory slots in modern XI (320 of that usable outside of MH), it was never enough for the amount of gear you needed per job in that MMO for quick job changing.

Wardrobe system would let me toss about 40 pieces of glamor gear at the least.