Thread: XCOM 2 (PC/PS4/XB1)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meliadoul Tinjeru
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Xantavia View Post
    That video kind of gave me a tutorial vibe. Still, I liked the mobile evac site. Gives a bit more flexibility if things go bad.

And that overwatch before everyone moved seemed like a viable tactic. If you knew shooting one would cause the others to run behind cover, better to get a free shot while they were still in the open.
    My overwatch shots pretty much always miss lol. Always better to me to choose when to fire, even if they're behind cover when doing so.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I just finished up my first playthrough, an Impossible mode game, and I was a bit disappointed though, as the game felt a bet basic compared to what I remember from Terror of the Deep.

Mostly it had to do with how the Aliens were handled. In ToTD, the aliens roamed around, and seemed to work more as a team, across the map, where as EW, they only really worked within each pod as they were discovered, which also made them really easy to take out. I suppose this is somewhat necessary because occasionally, the enemy dispersion was non-existent. My first Battleship had a room with 4 drones, 2x Sectopod, and 3x Heavy Floaters all in the same room. If not for some crazy ninja-like sniper movement (without mimetic skin), I would never have cleared that mission. Also, snipers really broke the game, but without them, you couldn't pass some missions, if you got a bad pull on enemy types and locations. Ghost armor also broke the last mission; it was just too easy to Ghost up, position units, and blow up the boss.

I also didn't like how soldiers advanced. It's okay to have unit build choices, but when it takes so much investment to make your solders, it's hard to play anything but extremely safe and save/scrum. Also, why are MECS so completely useless compared to gen-enhanced soldier? Also, why are psionics so rare, both on aliens and soldiers?

I hope they address some of these issues. I played the hell out of ToTD, but I'm pretty much done with one play through on EW.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Did you do Iron Man mode or just impossible? with iron man, you can't really save scum. I think for a revamp of the series it did a good job. I never played the originals but I have read from vets that the game was pretty easy-mode compared to the older versions. If you like the older school xcoms you should check out Xenonauts. I havn't played it yet tho

Quote Originally Posted by Koul View Post
    Did you do Iron Man mode or just impossible? with iron man, you can't really save scum. I think for a revamp of the series it did a good job. I never played the originals but I have read from vets that the game was pretty easy-mode compared to the older versions. If you like the older school xcoms you should check out Xenonauts. I havn't played it yet tho
    I've played all the originals. The first one was 100% based on luck. If you get an early landed UFO instead of none you're golden. I love the new game. But I agree with Kach, none of the aliens roam(they even said in an interview they were supposed to). You always activate them.

MECs aren't useless at all. Fucking flamethrowers are the shit. That and they can tank so much damage. I agree that snipers are OP but holy shit does it take time to get them there, THEY are useless at the start, unless you pick random things for them to help them level up, which then they kinda suck. ToTD was awfully done lol. I'm thinking XCOM2 is going to revive a lot that we missed in this remake.

But if you're looking for something closer to the original, go play Long War. Shit is fucked up. First terror mission I turned a corner and found myself 4 fucking crysalids. Fuckers.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Long War is breathtakingly brutal. Nothing like popping up on a roof and seeing 8 enemies all at once.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

The ship's maintenance screen looks similar to Fallout Shelter.

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    The ship's maintenance screen looks similar to Fallout Shelter.
    It's practically the same as Enemy Unknown. Only thing is it looks like now X amount of troops can only interact with a certain bay at any given time.

They also did a deep dive and explained some things behind the Avenger trailer live yesterday - http://www.twitch.tv/firaxisgames/v/11897944

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Looks like they took pages, from Long War, and incorporated them into X2. Looks like a lot of fun.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

It's the same video that I posted above, unless you have me blocked, then you won't see this post either. =P

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    It's the same video that I posted above, unless you have me blocked, then you won't see this post either. =P
    Who what?

Yeah sorry, I didn't see any updates recently and just saw it so I posted it

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

February 5, 2016
    Hello XCOM fans,

We want to give you an update on the release date for XCOM 2. We’ve set a high bar for the sequel and the entire team has been working hard to make sure we deliver a great follow-up to Enemy Unknown. We just need a little more time to make it the best possible game.

With XCOM 2, we want to have more depth, more replayability, and more investment in your soldiers and this extension will give us the time we need to deliver on our promise to you.

We appreciate your patience and continued support as we move towards February. Good luck, Commander!

- The XCOM 2 Dev Team
    http://xcom.com/news/en/xcom-2-now-c...ebruary-5-2016

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Must be something substantial they want to add, or are having issues with something, to push it past the holiday season.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meek Marcello
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

They want it to be closer to the console release obviously.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

cool. rather have them take longer than give us a fucked up game. i expect it'll be fucked up somehow though.

Quote Originally Posted by kisada View Post
    cool. rather have them take longer than give us a fucked up game. i expect it'll be fucked up somehow though.
    I hope they fix some of the LoS issues that plagued 1. Not even the original X-Com games had such fucked up LoS lol.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

New trailer

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick