+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: San Diego Trip     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

San Diego Trip

Myself and two friends are taking a trip to San Diego next week, we will be there from the 11th-15th. So far the things that we know we are going to do will be: San Deigo Zoo, taking a drive to LA for a training session at the 10th planet HQ, probably going to try a surfing lesson.

My question to any people who have either lived/visited San Diego is this: what other activities do you suggest, restaurants to eat at (for breakfast/lunch/dinner), bar's/adult locations to check out. One of the guys going with us recently turned 21, so we are going to take this opportunity to have some fun.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

San Diego*

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Since you are driving to la you could go to the universal studios city walk for something different.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    San Diego*
    Yep its one of those days. I made this at work so I did it rather quickly.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Since you are driving to la you could go to the universal studios city walk for something different.
    This may be a misconception, but isn't most of LA shady as get all? Not sure how much time we actually want to spend in LA.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy's View Post
    This may be a misconception, but isn't most of LA shady as get all? Not sure how much time we actually want to spend in LA.
    LA is just like any other city. There are some nice areas and some shady areas. It isn't all shady. The tar pits are a pretty cool visit if you are into that sort of thing. It is a museum full of prehistoric animal parts pulled out of the tar pits. Plus you get to see the pits themselves and the areas where they are actively excavating bones out.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

If you're near Downtown LA and want sausage, here's where you get sausage: http://www.wurstkuche.com/

Good korean BBQ place in LA Koreatown: http://parksbbq.com/main/

Hole in the wall taco shops in San Diego are the best thing ever! My favorite was a Colimas in Chula Vista. I think they've started up a few other locations since I was there 10ish years ago. Carne asada burrito, carne asada fries, california burrito are all good options. I think they make a good breakfast burrito too.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Duskwood

Pacific Beach for drinks, San Diego Zoo, Sea World, downtown for restaurants and sight seeing.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Should also check out a local brewery as they have become one of the things SD is known for.

Hubby and I love Karl Strauss.

A word of warning : you WILL have jaywalkers randomly throwing themselves at your cars mercy, at least in San Diego. I came close to hitting like ten of them the one day I went to the zoo there.

And as for LA, bring lots and lots of water. The air is far better than it used to be, but I felt like I had ashes in my mouth the entire time I visited an art gallery there. If you are in the area of LA though, the Getty museum is worth seeing, and pretty cheap for students too. Bring your sunglasses if you go, the architecture is amazing and amazingly white. I was half blinded by the courtyard there lol.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Most of the places below are 20 min driving of downtown San Diego. I've listed their neighborhood in parens to help you out.

I moved up to LA from San Diego about a year ago, so some of the info may be wrong but I doubt things have changed that much.

SD Restaurants:

BBQ: Phil's BBQ
    Mexican Seafood: Oscar's in Pacific Beach (standing room only, no tables)
    Mexican Food (in general): Lolita's (Claremont), Lucha Libre (San Diego proper)
    Upscale Food: Chart House (Del Mar); George's by the Cove (La Jolla); Candelas (Coronado)
    Other Food: Hillcrest neighborhood in general.

SD Drinking:

UC San Diego finals week ends on the 15th. Thursday/Friday in Pacific Beach should be pretty active.

Breweries: Stone Brewing (Escondido); Green Flash (Mira Mesa); Societe (Claremont); Acoustic Ales (San Diego)
    Brew Pubs; Hamilton's (North Park) or Monkey Paw (San Diego)
    Drinking/Bars (21 to ~26): Pacific Beach along Garnet Ave (college age kids)
    Drinking/Bars (26+): North Park near 30th Street; Gaslamp Quarter; Pacific Beach
    Cocktails: Nobel Experiment (Gaslamp) but will require reservations in days in advance (call them); Bar Pink (North Park)

Specific Nightlife: Omnia (clubbing in Gaslamp); Altitude (lounge in Gaslamp); Tipsy Crow (bar in Gaslamp), Sadaf (cheap drinks in Gaslamp), Fluxx (college girls at their first club, Gaslamp); In Cahoots (country bar in Mission Valley); PB Bar and Grill (asian people on Thursdays in Pacific Beach); Typhoon Saloon (white people all the time in Pacific Beach); Johnny V ($2 well drinks on Friday in Pacific Beach)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Best Breakfast/Brunch : Snooze // Richard Walkers
    Sushi: Sushi Diner (raggae vibe, cheap, good portion, delicious) - $
    Sushi Ota (super fresh, super pack, super expensive, super fancy) - $$$
    Pho: Pho Hoa - $
    Chinese/Vietnamese: Minh Ky - $
    BBQ: Coop's - $
    Indian: Punjabi tandoor - $
    Taco shop: El gordo - $
    Burrito/Mexican food: Lucha libre - $ (i love this place)
    Chicken Wings: Dirty Birds - $
    Ramen: Yakitori-Yakyudori - $
    Steak: Cowboy Star - $$ (a must)
    Hike: Cowels mountain, Potato chip (bring water, ppl came unprepared and were dehydrated, had helicopter came to lift them off the mountain)
    Sightseeing: La Jolla cove, downtown, ocean beach, Pacific beach (college vibe), Sunset cliff (awesome view), ferry dock off coronado (you'll get a nice view of downtown SD from the other side, chill place to hangout at nice n take pics etc...PM me if you wants direction by car)
    Stargazing: Valley of the moon
    Stripclub: Hong Kong
    Cigar lounge/bar: Liberty tobacco, Excalibur cigars or Hoffers.
    Live Music: The Casbah, The Belly Up Tavern
    Beer Pub: Blind Lady Ale House

thats all off the top of my head.I'll add in more later if i remember anything else. ask me if ya have any questions

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by gt_killa View Post
    Sushi Ota (super fresh, super pack, super expensive, super fancy) - $$$
    Stripclub: Hong Kong
    Cigar lounge/bar: Liberty tobacco, Excalibur cigars or Hoffers.
    Live Music: The Casbah, The Belly Up Tavern
    Beer Pub: Blind Lady Ale House

thats all off the top of my head.I'll add in more later if i remember anything else. ask me if ya have any questions
    Man after my own heart

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I love me some good seafood, one of the guys who is going absolutely hates it, and cant stand seafood. I figure that we will be eating out 3x or more meals a day so we should be able to try a good number of those suggestions.

I have never been one for beer, however the other two guys do so we will be hitting up some of the breweries for sure.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Mexican Food: Old Town Mexican Restaurant.

It's in old town, what used to be down town San Diego. There's also a haunted house tour there that goes on at night, wailey(sp) house or whatever. Old Town is pretty cool and you can take the tram there and back from down town. Mission Beach is pretty nice, belmonte down at the south end of the board walk is fun. Cool arcade there, some decent restaurants. They have surf lessons and stuff all over down there as well. Goodluck finding parking though @_@

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

BTW, warning on sushi. There has been a samonella outbreak in California tied to tuna and other raw fish. May want to steer clear from sushi for a few more weeks.

Source: Coworker and his gf got pwned by samonella a few weeks ago, and they both lost 10 pounds from vomiting and lack of eating over a full week period.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

So you're saying that I could potentially loose weight on vacation, sold!

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    San Diego*
    Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it "San Diago", which of course in German means 'a whale's vagina'.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Definitely seconding Lolita's and Sushi Diner. Sushi Deli 3 is also a solid choice.