+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The Martian     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Very fun watch. Obviously adapted the book to fit pacing and time. Was ok with the omissions or else it would become a full on science narrative. Mildly disappointed no (.Y.) text but I'll live. Humor was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    has anyone looked into how accurate the science in the book is? I want to google it but dont want to stumble upon a potential spoiler since i haven't finished. just wondering if he attempted to be semi-accurate or if it is laughingly inaccurate and just made for good material.
    From what I have gathered the only major complaint was that the storm at the beginning would not have been that strong, due to Mar's atmosphere. However it was just a narrative to strand him there, but I believe the author said that had he known that part he would have come up with something else. As for NASA being great at jerry rigging the ever living FUCK out of things, I can say that's 110% accurate.

Movie was awesome, sad they cut out some of the science but totally understand why, it would have been way too dull. They also put more emotion into the movie then the book had which was a good decision too.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I'm just happy they expanded on the ending a bit. The book needed 50 more pages to flesh out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    I'm just happy they expanded on the ending a bit. The book needed 50 more pages to flesh out.
    Yeah I have to agree with that, the book's ending left A LOT to be desired. Especially if you didn't read / listen to the version that had the extra ending where Watney tells the kid "Fuck Mars" to his question, which my audiobook didn't have. Was nice to see a little closure.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nicholai Tankyou
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Agreed with the previous 2 posts. Maybe 100 pages more even, but ya just kind ends haha. Still great loved both the book and the movie.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsuko Stark
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Read the book first or watch the movie first? I've done neither.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by warc View Post
    Read the book first or watch the movie first? I've done neither.
    Book is more science heavy, also, protagonist has to solve more problems in the book than the movie. Movie was almost two and a half hours long and they still had to cut a lot. Story is, for the most part, the same. You'll get enjoyment out of either. If you're genuinely interested in some of the science stuff, read the book first. If not, save yourself a couple days of reading and just watch the movie.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nicholai Tankyou
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

The audio book is excellent, I listened to it first and loved it. It's about 9 hours I think give or take. But if you have any commute you can knock it out pretty quick.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

I read the book in a day, couldn't put the shit down. I was also travelling/flying though. Can't wait to see the movieeee

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

Excellent movie, being alone in the theater was fitting.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Loved it.

Though I don't have the urge to watch it again like I did Interstellar after I watched that.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Anyone else laugh at the council of Elrond and Sean bean scene. Nice little nod there.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Jicent View Post
    Anyone else laugh at the council of Elrond and Sean bean scene. Nice little nod there.
    Hilarious. Was totally expecting a "One does not simply... something something Mars."

Funniest part was the Uncle Tommy in China line.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ardreul Galawen
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Mythe_Seraph View Post
    Hilarious. Was totally expecting a "One does not simply... something something Mars."

Funniest part was the Uncle Tommy in China line.
    I thoroughly enjoyed Captain Blondebeard.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Loved it. Very, very good movie. Will be rewatching it multiple times for sure. Up there with October Sky for me, which is saying a lot.

Science was generally very spot-on too. There were a few things that made me go "lol nope" while watching it, but I don't remember mostly what they were and they weren't huge. Biggest lolnope was just Donald Glover sitting in the cluster room with his laptop plugged directly into one of the stacks and "calculations correct!" Popping up on his screen. Like I said, super minor stuff. Overall it was spot-on.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I hated Glover's character. Everything about him in that movie sucked. Even his amazing calculations correct laptop.

Awesome movie.

Somehow I missed this though:
    Spoiler: show
    So what was the point of drilling the top of the rover off and replacing it with a bubble? Was it to lighten the vehicle or provide more cargo space?

Quote Originally Posted by Greedouw View Post
    Awesome movie.

Somehow I missed this though:
    So what was the point of drilling the top of the rover off and replacing it with a bubble? Was it to lighten the vehicle or provide more cargo space?
    It wasn't made very clear in the movie, but in the book it's explained pretty thoroughly:
    It's for the extra cargo and storage space, needed mostly to store the stuff that's keeping him alive (the water reclaimer, oxygenater, etc).

In the book, he actually also ends up towing along and using the second rover for extra storage too (food/tools/etc), along with a sort of deploy-able tent to more comfortably sleep and work in.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

I'm hoping there's a Scientist's Extended Edition for things like that.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Terrific movie. Donald Glover, as mentioned above, was a completely useless add.

It was just a gorgeous movie too, all the huge vistas and pulled back shots of everything was awesome. I wish I had seen it on the real IMAX screen but it was sold out all weekend.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast