1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 6 hours, 13 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 17 hours, 46 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 23 hours, 13 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 10 hours, 46 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

FF1 - Last Game Ever
    FF2 - Story
    FF3 - Gameplay
    FF4 - Story
    FF5 - Gameplay
    FF6 - Story
    FF7 - GRAPHIX+Story
    FF8 - BETTERGRAPHIX+Gameplay
    FF9 - Story
    FF10 - HAAAAA-HAHAHAHA (Story)
    FF11 - MOO
    FF12 - Gameplay
    FF13 - LOL (Story)
    FF14 - MOO+

Seems to be kind of a pattern, but ultimately you like the FF games that cater more to what you like. Either the focus on good story/characters, or the focus on good gameplay/customization.

lol I'm surprised that FFV monster is so small...

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

And then there's FFT, which had S+ Story and S+ gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    ehhhh.........

After playing TO, FFT just doesn't hold up tbh.

It's hardly perfect but at least in TO magic was functional and worth using.

FFT was just dominated by OP unique character jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    I'd say FFT had a much better story than it did gameplay, but I suppose it's even enough. It's hard for me to gauge SRPG gameplay mechanics as it's mostly about how well your stats work.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    ehhhh.........

So I'm guessing you don't consider Math Skill magic?

If we're talking about PSX release, there are few things more functional than opening round CT4 Holy with absorb Holy armor/weapons equipped on your whole team.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Didn't really change the fact that most actions with charge time (notably the entirety of Archer and any flashy spells) were pretty much irrelevant when I could just walk up and 2sword or Orlandu a guy to death :3

Calculator / Arithmetician(whatever it is in WotL) isn't something most people had access to, or at least I sure as hell didn't really grasp at ~8ish.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sukimin Yakumo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

FFT was pretty fucking good for challenge runs though. Magic holds up great pretty much the entire game. It's just when you can start mucking around with brave/faith values that magic becomes a lot less good.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Math Skill is the most broken thing in the game and I don't think it's close? No charge time, no MP costs, target anyone anywhere, blah blah. The only "downsides" to Math Skill were:

1) Calculator had worst Speed in the game... solved by Math Skill as cross-class only
    2) Calculator required heavy grinding to be effective

The latter worked out fine for me, as my primary squad had every job unlocked and every useful action/spell/trait before I entered the second open-world battlefield. Speed Break/Weapon Break/Build Up, yo.

But to be fair, I never got into the extremely low Faith magic counter scenarios. That seems more like a PvP concern (which obviously doesn't exist).

If you wanna talk solid gameplay I don't think pointing out all the 1-sided/broken shit is going to help. FFT's gameplay is a hot mess, it's not something I would generally aim for.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

FFVI gameplay was awsome, I loved the way they made you learn magic and all

Also FFVI being the first one with 'limit breaks'

It's pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    If you wanna talk solid gameplay I don't think pointing out all the 1-sided/broken shit is going to help. FFT's gameplay is a hot mess, it's not something I would generally aim for.
    ^
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukari View Post
    FFT was pretty fucking good for challenge runs though. Magic holds up great pretty much the entire game. It's just when you can start mucking around with brave/faith values that magic becomes a lot less good.
    Between having to charge MP, having to charge spells, and having to close with your target because of limited range (on top of casters being extremely vulnerable) magic was pretty ass compared to chucking insta-use potions or using insta-use MNK skills (later on insta-use OP unique char skills).

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Is there any offline FF that is not impossibly broken by targeted grinding? I mean, you had VI with >100% magic/physical evade, XII with perpetually self-sufficient gambits that played the game for you, etc. My point was not really about the fair and balanced gameplay as much as it was that FFT's magic is certainly not useless.

Between having to charge MP, having to charge spells, and having to close with your target because of limited range
    None of these things apply to magic used via Math Skill. I can target every enemy on the map with instant-cast, 0MP Holy (or Frog, or Sleep, or Stop) on my first turn.

Theory Fighter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Frejan Schultz
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

ehhhh.........

FFT was just dominated by OP unique character jobs.
    Uh, what? The entirety of TO was dominated by how stupid archers were. Hit as hard as berserks (or more), stupid range, faster... Magic was great in TO, sure, specially how the utility spells like sleep etc were useful almost anywhere, but that doesn't make it any more balanced than FFT.

It's really hard for me to be truly objective with FFT, considering how much time of my life I've devoted to the game, but magic isn't useless at all. It's true that, as the speed increases it's harder and harder to fit a cast before the enemy acts, but that's usually around late chapter 4. The fact that you can short charge Meteor (or whatever if you're not doing Time mage SCC) x5 all battles since roughly Golgorand Execution site until about the first battle of the final chain of battles, Meteor being the slowest spell there, says much about its utility. I'm talking about the superior (mechanics-wise) PSX US version, not the original japanese and WotL version with longer charge times all around. And even in those, magic is still pretty easy to use and abuse.

The thing with FFT is that almost any combination of abilities, and many times not even a combination of them, is pretty broken if you know what you're doing.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

As far as gameplay goes, for me FFT was never about killing enemies. I did such heavy early-game grinding that I could wipe every map clean before the enemies even got a turn.

The fun I got from FFT was in devising proper CC strategies to allow me to steal every unique item in every boss fight. I particularly remember some fight with a vampire and his two assassin sidekicks that either warp out or change into different enemies with different gear; these enemies were all hard-hitters with lots of immunities, so it was difficult to keep them both alive and CCed long enough to steal all their loot (without getting murdered myself).

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    Is there any offline FF that is not impossibly broken by targeted grinding?
    No, and that's why I view gameplay as "how much fun did I have playing the game?" and less of "is the system exploit-free and perfect?" Tactics Ogre had its own bullshit moments if we're going to start knocking FFT. Archers being unreasonably broken at mid/late game is but one of many. All fun, though.

Tactics was fun as fuck to play. My only real gripe aside from the obvious Chapter 3 nonsense is that I couldn't straight up make Holy Knights in the base game, as Stasis Sword was my favorite move in the game. I've always been used to my main character getting some nice bullshit strong class by endgame in the Ogre Battle series. It still gets an S+ for gameplay for me, though.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Favorite thing about Tactics was lowering an opponents bravery to zero and having him turn into a literal Chicken. Naturally my favorite character besides Agrias was Beowulf for his OP Oracle spells on crack.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I don't know how we got talking about older FFs but my favourites tend to lean towards those with good gameplay. I can't really say any of the games had a below average story. This is why I hated X, I found the gameplay terrible. XII on the other hand many dismiss but the gameplay was awesome and I rate it in my top 2. +1 for Tactics too, shame they never bothered to release more games like that.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

i liked the XIII games because it show exactly how linear and truly "thrown together" FF game storyline and progression is when you get rid of the illusion of choice and exploration. Like, if they made all of the actual lore in the game instead of datalogs, would be far less complaints..but it's weird to see the actual FF formula in the 3D era of FF games when they started moving far away from it.

My favorite is 5 then 9. I didn't care for tactics. I like TT games but FFTT just felt odd to me but I was too hooked on Fire Emblem at the time so yeah lol.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Ultimately the problem is that for some people this is fun and for some people it isn't.

You can absolutely never satisfy both camps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast