Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I mean why not put all that effort they put in developing that system towards a new game.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    They should release one game with turn based or ATB or whatever you nostalgic people want and one game with the XV/new system they developed.

But they won't make double the money that way.
    PSX FF7 Just had a toggle for that, Active/ATB. I get that the characters didn't move at that point so active just meant adding an extra level of difficulty in that you didn't have time to dick around on the menus because enemies would hit you when their bars filled even if its "your turn". I think it could be done though, just lock characters into place and add movement as happening before their action on each turn.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by djzombie View Post
    PSX FF7 Just had a toggle for that, Active/ATB. I get that the characters didn't move at that point so active just meant adding an extra level of difficulty in that you didn't have time to dick around on the menus because enemies would hit you when their bars filled even if its "your turn". I think it could be done though, just lock characters into place and add movement as happening before their action on each turn.
    I meant one game with the old system and one with the new one, that way it satisfies both audiences.

I'd want the new system personally, unless it was legend of dragoon style.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I think this could be interesting, like tactics where it doesn't fucking care if its your turn or not, enemies will move and act how they want to try and take you out if you're too busy trying to play 4D chess.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

If you want the old system you can play the original game on like 10 different platform.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I mean, there's no reality where making two version of the same game with separate systems is anywhere close to being worthwhile and profitable.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    They should release one game with turn based or ATB or whatever you nostalgic people want and one game with the XV/new system they developed.

But they won't make double the money that way.
    Look the Materia and ATB system was really fun back then, but does anyone really want a turn based charge system back?

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    Look the Materia and ATB system was really fun back then, but does anyone really want a turn based charge system back?
    I want legend of dragoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    Materia system for sure, turn based can eat it unless they do it really well.

But then again any turn based system will cause less game play concerns than something action based. Definitely looking forward to the E3 demo because that will be telling to how far the combat has come since XV.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I mean we know they are keeping materia, but some of the nuances of the materia system as they were executed are unique to turn based battling so the devil is in the details with how they replace some of the materia. Particularly certain offensive linked combos and command materia are designed around the game being turn based I think.

Materia was a complex system with depth, but the concept shouldn't change that much from turn based to active. The main point is modifying magic to do extra shit, like hit all enemies or have poison added effect etc, which doesn't have to change at all provided you cast the magic and it hits a target. You could also potentially add things you couldn't before with turn based like different area of effect fields and sizes, projectile magic etc

Command materia isn't all that complicated either, and could even have cooldowns attached so not every attack is a Deathblow or 4x Cut or maybe extra commands/inputs etc. It gets weird with shit like Mime, but that was incredibly broken and has to be changed somehow. Passive materia is just passive effects, and stuff like Counterattack can be done automatically without extra animation. Summon materia can be more interesting and have unique mechanics.

Honestly this would be the most exciting part of designing a remake of FFVII for me, I don't think previously being turn based is an issue at all unless the team working on it is the least creative one ever.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If anything an action RPG like they're doing here has more options than before. Turn based is limiting in terms of space and movement.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    If anything an action RPG like they're doing here has more options than before. Turn based is limiting in terms of space and movement.
    Pretty much.

People looking to recreate exact same materia combos are going to be disappointed though. Things are going to change. Materia system will be there and will get a new iteration of it.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Materia was a complex system with depth, but the concept shouldn't change that much from turn based to active. The main point is modifying magic to do extra shit, like hit all enemies or have poison added effect etc, which doesn't have to change at all provided you cast the magic and it hits a target. You could also potentially add things you couldn't before with turn based like different area of effect fields and sizes, projectile magic etc

Command materia isn't all that complicated either, and could even have cooldowns attached so not every attack is a Deathblow or 4x Cut or maybe extra commands/inputs etc. It gets weird with shit like Mime, but that was incredibly broken and has to be changed somehow. Passive materia is just passive effects, and stuff like Counterattack can be done automatically without extra animation. Summon materia can be more interesting and have unique mechanics.

Honestly this would be the most exciting part of designing a remake of FFVII for me, I don't think previously being turn based is an issue at all unless the team working on it is the least creative one ever.
    I was thinking about things like Mime, Guard-Counter link, Quad-Summon, etc.

Some of the dumber stuff is going to get removed/changed, stuff like quad-casts could literally just be a 4x power boost rather than watching the same thing 4 times. Any counter can work like I said above (magic counters are even easier) or done with context prompts (near X character can guard > if guard is successful > counter with whatever you want). Cover can be the same thing or just have cover be contextual and countering done like any action game made in the last 10 years.

Thinking about how they do materia will make or break the experience for me. I spent countless hours leveling materia so I could do the dumbest shit with them. I think the worst thing they'll do it just strip away the combination aspect and make materia way more straight forward. That would suck.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

FFXV combat had a Wait Mode that essentially did just this.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Anyone ever play the FF7 New Threat mod? Followed a streamer playing though it and was super interesting to see some of the QoL changes, script tweaks, and boss fights that were added to help streamline the story.

Stuff like fighting the Sephiroth clones themselves as the first form of the Jenova fights using his model from the flashback. Even a flashback boss fight with you versus Zack added to the basement cutscene of when they escaped. It’s all pretty dope.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Anyone ever play the FF7 New Threat mod? Followed a streamer playing though it and was super interesting to see some of the QoL changes, script tweaks, and boss fights that were added to help streamline the story.

Stuff like fighting the Sephiroth clones themselves as the first form of the Jenova fights using his model from the flashback. Even a flashback boss fight with you versus Zack added to the basement cutscene of when they escaped. It’s all pretty dope.
    No, but I did play one mod for PC that was super high fidelity, changed models and textures of every Character, NPC, and Enemy, and even allowed you to customize which models you used for each character. Turned the original game which was like 2.3 gb into over 20 gb.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post

This sounds dope as hell, wish they had a PSX Rom of it instead of just PC-onry. But here's the link: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14938.0. Still being developed, last release was 3 days ago!

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

apparently the leaked stuff was fake this whole time, ripperino.