Closed Thread
Page 109 of 157 FirstFirst ... 59 99 107 108 109 110 111 119 ... LastLast
    Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BWYuko View Post
    Well at least they tried. FF7 is really the only title in the series I can think of where they take measures to buff the stats of the final boss gauntlet in the event you capped your PCs' levels and used KoR to kill Jenova-Synth. No such luxury was afforded in any of the series titles before or following.

Lost Odyssey was brilliant for this. In each dungeon exp gain plateaued to 1 exp/kill once a certain level ceiling was attained. Prevented players from over-leveling to roll bosses, forced them to really take their time and think before in putting commands during boss fights. Failing to cast things like all-barricade/all-shield on turn 1 could result in full wipe by turn 2. Good game. Need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 or 10 so I can emulate it since my 360 bricked.
    Uh...FF8 battles scaled with your level, with certain monsters having a cap on the level they can reach. No FF before, or after, has done that afaik.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    What does upgrading to Windows 10 have to do with a game that is completely unplayable with current emulators?
    I've been dying to play Lost Odyssey again but I ain't buying a 360 for 1 game, even if it is one of the best JRPGs ever made. Plz come to Steam ; ;

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Uh...FF8 battles scaled with your level, with certain monsters having a cap on the level they can reach. No FF before, or after, has done that afaik.
    Yeah but when I start a new game, I usually just play til right before boarding the train in Balamb en route to the Timber mission, then load a previous save where I've spent 4 straight hours of Triple Triad against Zell's mom until earning 20 Elnoyle cards for Lionheart. All of the other cards I won gave me enough Wizard Stones to create 100s of -ga tier spells to overpower the shit out of the party. Scaling is moot when you're already a god right after the SeeD exam.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well that's a choice you can make. FFVIII also implemented ways to avoid gaining any EXP at all to counter the fact that enemies scale with you.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

You can't spend 4 hours grinding then complain it's too easy. You literally worked and planned "hard" to circumvent the difficulty and make it easy. That's not the developers fault, every rpg is like that lol.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    You can't spend 4 hours grinding then complain it's too easy. You literally worked and planned "hard" to circumvent the difficulty and make it easy. That's not the developers fault, every rpg is like that lol.
    Even without that grind viii is probably one of the easiest ff game.

IMO only way to make that game hard is try to stay as locked as possible in uktimecia castle

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

The game is only easy after you've figured out which GF let you junction to the stats you want, which doesn't happen unless you have a guide/beat the game already, know which GF have the abilities to craft magic from cards/magic, know which items/cards craft into the magic you want, and only after all of that does it become "easy".

Chances are if it's a first play through even after you figure out the above, you still end up going back somewhere to finish stocking up because you realize just how broken you're going to become. You can't compare subsequent/guided play throughs like they're anything except easy when you already have a plan and know what to expect. Who the fuck plays a card game with Zells mom for 4 hours for a specific card the first time through? No one, so it's a moot point to say the game is easy if you already know the wayyyy out there ways of making the game easy. No JRPG is dark souls hard, but FF8 is far from easy the first time through, and it isn't until disk 3ish that you stumble across the tools needed to finish becoming broken, since the whole time you're just flying blind.

Its FF, so I expect this, but people literally talking about how they've planned to break the game and grind a specific way but then say the game is too easy because I know what's going to unlock on GFs, which cards craft into what, etc.

Yeah, life is real fucking easy when you can see into the future guys...

Claustrum. Really?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaith Laqueus
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The only thing I remember in FF8 was spamming Aura or whatever the fuck it was called and then just constantly spamming limit breaks. And that was what trivialized the game. I'm sure I used the junction system appropriately too but I never grinded or tried to max stuff out on it

FF8 was a bit of a mixed bag, you could become completely overpowered if you knew what you were doing but at the same time if you didn't at least try and learn how to use GFs/junctions properly then the game would get quite hard.

If you just ran around and leveled up like any old RPG enemies would just get stronger and stronger while very little changed with your characters.

Also yea the LB system was completely broken even without Aura, just leave Squall in critical all the time and spam Renzokuken on everything, if he gets KOed just use a Phoenix Down to bring him right back into LB range.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

No fucking way anyone played ff8 the first time through and just unlocked everything without a guide, lol

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    No fucking way anyone played ff8 the first time through and just unlocked everything without a guide, lol
    This is all I'm saying. You can't call the game easy after you've already looked up everything/beat the game and are preparing your "let's 100%/break this game" play through.

First play through, no guide, majority of players are missing at least one GF , and don't have a good handle on stocking magic till disc 2 at the earliest. Never mind knowing which GF have what you need or the best places to farm to craft magic.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Thinking back to my first play through of FF8, I recall it being hard as hell, because I didn't really get how to junction and what to do.

Off the top of my head, I lost (or at least had trouble with) to:

Elnoyle, on the Dollet tower
    Gerogero (?), whatever the fake president transformed into... but mostly because I didn't have any junctions equipped
    Griever, first playthrough Shockwave Pulsar did like 8000 damage, not sure why - survived with Shell though
    Fuijin/Raijin, in Balamb town... Raijin Special was doing absurd damage
    Cerberus
    Bahamut
    Oilboyle
    NORG for some reason
    Countless Ruby Dragons, Elvorets and Malboros, I recall hating Trifaces too for some reason...

But yeah, I basically sucked.

First play through of FF7 had it's share of toughish stuff as well, off the top of my head...

Midgard Zolom early
    Jenova Life (w/out Water Ring)
    Schizo
    Carry Armor (probably the hardest non-optional boss in the game)
    Materia Keeper, because Trine was nasty, plus I think it used Silence (?) and I didn't have echos...
    Lost Number was tricky...
    Random encounters in the Shinra Mansion were pretty awful IIRC, the worst was some weird thing in the basement, and trying to learn the ???? enemy skill from the "scale" enemies (I think they were called Jersey?)

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Drai Draken
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I definately didn't unlock everything on my first playthrough of FFVIII, I think I was like, 13-14 when that game came out, I was super underpowered by the time I got to Ultamecia's castle, and without even unlocking everything in the castle I was able to beat the last boss pretty easily, I don't think I did a 100% playthrough of that game until in my 20's, and by then I used guides to trivialize everything lol

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Uh huh.

All I really remember about VIII was it was my 16th birthday present I coaxed out of my parents for passing my driver's license test first try.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I was 8 when I played FFVIII for the first time (also my first FF game) and I remember getting lost while looking for Ifrit's Cave XD Enemies had -agas in their draw list by then, it was hilarious.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Looks like they fed Cloud some hamburgers and milkshakes since the reveal trailer.

He looks more like his Smash Brothers entry.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I am not ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk