FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Not all of it. The music wasn't that bad. There's about 3 songs in that game I actually enjoy quite a lot. Four, actually.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more things existed in that game that I actually liked. Music aside, I liked how Tristam looted the shit out of that end-game claw from the first dungeon, and you're all like "holy shit, that thing looks badass", and all you get is a boring crystal. I liked how Phoebe gave you the cat claw only after you fell and busted your ass wide open, which was hilarious. I liked finally getting the claw from Tristam. The pace of the game, kiddy as it was, was pretty good.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I am quite partial to hating on FF2 as far as the main series goes. Could never get into that leveling system.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carth View Post
    Which is pretty much the reason why despite the massive love FF7 gets, I have no interest in playing the original because I know it won't live up to the hype. I'm perfectly content with waiting for the remake, with the added benefit of having an unbiased mindset.
    Another vote for just trying it. If you love FF period it's worth a play. Download Tifa's Bootleg and run that for a slight graphics update. The game is fun period. Shoot, I fired up III on an emulator awhile back (never played it, only played for around 2 hours) and despite the graphics I was more engrossed in that game than some newer AAA titles that have been touted as incredible games.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    I am quite partial to hating on FF2 as far as the main series goes. Could never get into that leveling system.
    Gonna agree with you there. A friend let me borrow the I/II PS1 disc. I was fun. II...just couldn't do it. Maybe I'll give it another go on an emulator.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by BWYuko View Post
    Going to the Distant Worlds @ Nokia theater on Wednesday night with m'lady. She got the tickets. Didn't even know they were going to be back in Los Angeles, let alone in the middle of E3 week. Now I'm going to hear the world premiere of Jenova:COMPLETE two days after the remake announcement.

Will also confirm the females like FF8. It's a good love story. Like I said pages ago, it's a god damned shame SE'll never give FF8 or 9 this treatment.
    Man, you guys are so lucky to be in that moment. I can only imagine the hype overload that's going to go down at that Distant Worlds. +1 Hype overload if they do the One-Winged Angel sing-a-long as well. Maximum fun.

I can co-sign on that below. Can't have it all. XD

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Gonna agree with you there. A friend let me borrow the I/II PS1 disc. I was fun. II...just couldn't do it. Maybe I'll give it another go on an emulator.
    I trudged through to the end and then the final dungeon was too much grinding for me. I asked my friend to borrow his final boss save and "beat" it that way.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    The only moments I dislike in 7 is Calm and Lifestream, the rest I have zero issue with but when the heavy story elements hit and the gameplay stop I go from a 10 to about a 3 faster than ESO went to F2P.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

as a kid i played 2 on NES emulator.. and had the incredible patience of self-mutilating my party to get high hp and other stats. most of that game you'd clear either by using the change trick, powered up instant death spells like toad, overgearing and the blood sword. it was by no means easy.. but still was incredibly fun when the stuff actually worked. for a more playable version, you can try the PSP or iOS versions of the game.. which still come with some degree of those exploits, but introduces automatic stat increases for like HP and stuff after a set number of battles.. so you don't have to specifically train everything in order to progress. FF2 is one of those games which require you to do a little homework before getting into it. personally ranks rather lowly in my list of fave FFs.

the FF7 remake should retain its old school battle system.. for that was part of what people who enjoyed the game fell in love with. i'm sure they'll change something here and there. i just hope its not too invasive to the point where it is no longer recognisable as FF7

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I remember playing FF7 for the first time in a Japanese arcade that had several home consoles bolted to tables and you had to keep putting money into the TVs to keep them turned on.

I remember FF2 on an emulator too - back before there was even a finished patch for it. To be fair, as much as I disliked FF2, it was still their first go at any kind of a real story line. That, and its leveling system laid the groundwork for the SaGa series, which I immensely enjoyed.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

agreed. the key terms system was also a nice old school system which required you to think (assuming you weren't using a walkthrough) of who might be able to help you further the storyline through asking them a proper keyword. its a pity they didn't create separate story branches in the game based on what words you threw out.. and the system itself doesn't really work in modern FFs. so much potential there.

thinking more about FF7s remake, its gonna be difficult to reimagine some scenes, like the clunky hopping in and out of tunnels.. and to some extent the way Cloud climbed from Wall market to Shinra HQ. rewatching the trailer i like how they gave shinra soldiers a more muted palette which makes more sense for soldiers.. and how they look different. I'm not sure how this gels with the portrayal of shinra troops featured in the Compilation tho

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Just think how amazing some of the CGI is gonna be though @_@

The weapons. The weapons are going to be epic. I hope they throw in a little bit more backstory for them. And maybe a proper Sapphire weapon fight before he gets rekt?

Aeris death scene in full HD

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Can't wait for all the crossdressing and Honey Bee Inn stuff in HD. Going to be hilarious.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Scythiroth View Post
    Can't wait for all the crossdressing and Honey Bee Inn stuff in HD. Going to be hilarious.
    Don't hold your breath too hard. In today's PC environment that might not make the rated T cut.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I'm stoked. There was a lot of humour and fun in the dialogue that as a teen I just totally missed. And it'll be interesting to see how they handle the combat and the overworld and etc. Stoked for the 2046 release on PS9

I'm personally expecting an overhaul of the script with, ideally, some expansions of things here and there. Will otherwise hope the battle system maintains the ATB of the original, only getting some much needed balance passes in the potency of abilities and the AP grind. Seriously, fuck throwing elixirs at a rare spawning endgame mob. Not doing even more optional content/side dungeons would be a shame, too.

Alas, I expect scaled down HD Tifa boobies a la Advent Children's design.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Don't hold your breath too hard. In today's PC environment that might not make the rated T cut.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Finally went back and read the thread from the announcement onwards. As far as the world map is concerned, I don't see why there would be issues with "zones", as in, Midgar is a fleshed out, seamless zone (to an extent maybe?) and Rocket Town and Cosmo Canyon and etc, more or less exactly like the original. You reach a town, you enter inside of it and it's fleshed out and etc. All the while, the world map is simplified, again like the original. I don't see what the big issue with this would be or why people are so obsessed with having a fully designed and fleshed out world map.

You do this with a game like FFX for example, and all of a sudden that awfully linear design at least feels like it has more depth to it, even if the story is still linear as fuck (as they all are, let's be honest).

As far as battle is concerned, well, with Nomura I'm not really worried at all. Turn-based? Sure, go for it. Action RPG KH style? I'm all for that too. My preference if I had to pick one would be a turn-based style just so you can use all the characters at least. And as much as I like materia, it did make every single character more or less the same save for their limit breaks. So I wouldn't mind some more depth/customization or something like that. Maybe certain types of materia can only be equipped by certain party members, or some shit.

Cloud was OP as fuck though lol. Farming those Strength+ items with Yuffie's conformer and using em all on Cloud, and then giving him 2/4xCut and just letting him go to town. So goddang easy lol

Anyway, much hype and I just hope we get this before I turn 30 (...in 3 years ._. )

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Biggest gaming news of the decade!

I'm not sure how the battle system will hold up on today's gaming world though, it's quite dated. I don't mind if they change it but not too much, it still needs to be turn based.

I'd like to see the game made into open world like XII or XV, there's no need for a world map. The world map in earlier games existed because they couldn't do proper open world.

Man, fuck that turn based shit and your guys' nostalgia. Come on, Nomura, go with the Kingdom Hearts battle system.

Seriously, though, as long as it's faster (or given the option to be faster), I don't really care what the battle system is like. As for the map, I think I'd prefer a FFXII/FFXV type of map, with bigger or seamless zones, personally. Although I still enjoy the world map like in Ni no Kuni and Tales of games, I find more satisfaction in walking through huge zones, kind of like an FFXII/FFXV feeling.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

still reeling in excitement about the announcement..

one thing this makes clear to me tho is that the Playstation Experience announcement was truly some masterful trolling.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 157 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... LastLast