Closed Thread
Page 118 of 157 FirstFirst ... 68 108 116 117 118 119 120 128 ... LastLast
    Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

This E3: Results of the FF15 survey.
    Next E3: FF7/KH3 related proofs of concept, maybe artwork, maybe more screenshots.
    E3_19: FF15 DLC BONANZA; "No PC version scheduled at this time."
    E3_20: Federally Mandated Trump Term 2 Victory Celebration. Announcement of NomuraFF7.S01E01 release date announcement party.
    E3_21: Dissidia Duodenum Music Fantasy live demo; Hiroyuki Ito ritualistically kills himself during press conference.
    2022: E3 discontinued due to nuclear robot wars. Game is never released. Please look forward to it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Im going to say we'll see some screenshots and *maybe* all of 5 seconds of new footage in a redone version of the reveal trailer.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Final Fantasy VII Remake Shifts to Complete In-House Development
    http://nichegamer.com/2017/05/29/fin...e-development/

Taking the project away from the Naruto boys and moving it back home. I like that one of their stated reasons is "development schedule", where the only logical conclusion I can draw from that is that it was moving along too quickly and they wanted to milk it for a few more years.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

They can't milk a game in development. They have every interest in releasing this as fast as possible so that can't be it, probably just communication issues. We can only hope this is for the best and that they aren't throwing away all the work that has been done so far (if any).

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    They can't milk a game in development.
    First of all, it was mostly a joke. Second, you absolutely can milk a game in development. In fact, SE is probably the publisher that uses these techniques the most. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (specifically the 'augment your preorder' campaign), Hitman, and Kingdom Hearts 3 immediately spring to mind as 3 different routes they've experimented with recently to milk a game while it's still being developed. 2 of them ended up being a bit disastrous, but, bless their hearts did they try their damnedest.

And that's not even touching the whole concepts of kickstarter et al. (which, by the by, SE likes to abuse in their 'collective' program), patreon, and early access.

Edit: There's also much more subtle ways of doing it. Anticipation of more information tends to draw eyeballs to you when it comes time to make big announcements. That's pretty much how E3 as a whole works, and to point out how SE uses techniques like this again, think back to the hate that came from the World of Final Fantasy announcement/bait-and-switch.

That all being said, I don't actually think they're intentionally delaying it, because they haven't laid down their roots in a proper manner to spin this game into promoting other sales the same way they did with FFXV/KH3. They have most interest in releasing this as fast as possible, but not every. I think they need some other attention-commanding, title to be cultivated to a certain level before they're willing to trade in both KH3's and FF7R's anticipation currency for actual currency. Probably FFXVI.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

How are they milking KH3 exactly? Are you referring to 0.2? I highly doubt that KH3 had any sort of contribution there, it was barely a demo considering it doesn't even play the same.
    Deus Ex's plan blew up before they could even do anything with it and Hitman is just an episodic release like many others from different publishers. Given how they ended up I doubt any milking was done there (let's also remember that both Hitman and Deus Ex are handled by SE Europe which is not SE Japan).
    Even past the jokes I really don't see how they can possibly benefit by delaying this remake, it's not going to increase sales or result in any sort of income for the company. It's actually going to bleed money if this takes too long.
    I should also point out that FFXV didn't sell anything else really, most of the additional stuff used to promote the game was released for free with the exception of the movie. Brotherhood? Free. Mobile stuff? Free. Movie? Paid or included with the game in some packages. Am I forgetting something? I'm not counting merchandise because every single FF has those, it's unfair to single out XV for that.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

How did SE milk FFXV's long development cycle? It was vaporware for almost a decade with only the most relevant information coming out a year or two before it's actual release. Anticipation currency? What does that even mean and what is the exchange rate on it lol.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

How are they milking KH3 exactly? Are you referring to 0.2? I highly doubt that KH3 had any sort of contribution there, it was barely a demo considering it doesn't even play the same.
    Deus Ex's plan blew up before they could even do anything with it and Hitman is just an episodic release like many others from different publishers. Given how they ended up I doubt any milking was done there (let's also remember that both Hitman and Deus Ex are handled by SE Europe which is not SE Japan).
    Even past the jokes I really don't see how they can possibly benefit by delaying this remake, it's not going to increase sales or result in any sort of income for the company. It's actually going to bleed money if this takes too long.
    I should also point out that FFXV didn't sell anything else really, most of the additional stuff used to promote the game was released for free with the exception of the movie. Brotherhood? Free. Mobile stuff? Free. Movie? Paid or included with the game in some packages. Am I forgetting something? I'm not counting merchandise because every single FF has those, it's unfair to single out XV for that.

I do think delaying VII will sell more

IT WILL BUILD THE HYPE

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Before I even start, I want to point out two things. First, I don't think milking something is inherently bad. Every company does it, and honestly should do it. I can't fault them for trying to maximize profits. Second, just because milking doesn't always yield them any metaphorical milk doesn't mean the act of milking didn't occur.

I'm not sure if you're just willfully ignoring the pretty obvious psychological tricks SE has been using for quite a while with all the spinoffs and side stories, but even if we ignore that, there's still, 1.5, 2.5, 2.8, and 1.5+2.5 that are pretty blatantly milking the excitement for 3 as much as possible.

XV had Kingsglaive, and it also had XIII back when it was called Versus XIII. Let's not pretend Versus wasn't always the most popular of the Fabula Nova Crystallis trio.

Mankind Divided blew up in their face, but again, the attempt was there.

Hitman was far more devious than "just an episodic release like many others", if I was just talking about episodic releases I would've lumped in Life is Strange. Elusive targets are an amazing can of worms of a concept that I can only pray dies with its creator.

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Anticipation currency? What does that even mean and what is the exchange rate on it lol.
    Implicit value. Or, like I said, the entire reason E3 can exist. "Anticipation currency" is just a psuedo-intellectual way of saying "hype" because I hate that goddamn word ever since AGDQ started getting popular. Hype has value, and a smart businessperson can use that to increase profits elsewhere, not just on the product generating it.

BG Level

I feel the word milking is used wrongly in this thread lately

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    I do think delaying VII will sell more

IT WILL BUILD THE HYPE
    nah, the more they delay it the more everyone's gonna suspect it's another XV-style trainwreck in the making. SE japan doesn't have a lot of goodwill to trade on at this point, if this turns into another mismanagement clusterfuck i think it could be disastrous for the remake's prospects.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Moridam View Post
    nah, the more they delay it the more everyone's gonna suspect it's another XV-style trainwreck in the making. SE japan doesn't have a lot of goodwill to trade on at this point, if this turns into another mismanagement clusterfuck i think it could be disastrous for the remake's prospects.
    You underestimate the VII fanboyism my boy

BG Level

I think it's pretty ridiculous to insinuate the 10 year long development hell that FFXV went through somehow benefited SE.

BG Level

I think it's pretty ridiculous to insinuate the 10 year long development hell that FFXV went through somehow benefited SE.
    I dont know if you're talking about my comment, but i never said it was

BG Level

Not you homie.

BG Level

Not you homie.

Though so ♥

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

And I think it's pretty ridiculous that you read what I wrote and somehow, this is the message you pulled from it. Even if I thought the 10 year cycle was intentional (which I don't), I explicitly stated milking something doesn't always work out. That doesn't mean efforts weren't made. They have to work the silver linings as best they can.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

It's not hard to see Hobo's point. Why not scrap the project? Instead they kept it alive for years, baiting and over promising. All game developers do it, some more than others, but we all know SE is notorious for this tactic.

If there were no perceived benefits, why continue to hype/promote or even acknowledge a stagnant project? What was the point of cryptic responses on the project status while stringing people along with skimp scattered releases of concepts, lore, and screenshots over 10 years before making any leeway on the project?

I have no idea what they thought they would gain from it, but it was a tactic they employed. Whether they actually saw any benefit is anyone's guess, but that certainly falls within the definition of 'milking it'.

BG Level

My argument is that none of those titles were delayed with the intent of "milking" the development or promoting a stagnant product. We all know the shitstorm behind FFXIV v1, know the crazy development story behind FFXV because of it, and by all accounts KH3 was delayed until FFXV was squared away.

So the belief SE doesn't have "every interest" in releasing KH3/FF7R as soon as possible until another triple AAA title is announced seems ridiculously far-fetched. At the end of the day it was all because of shitty management that got multiple individuals fired from these delays.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Delaying something to build hype is some of the stupidest shit ive ever read.

XV took like 10 yrs to make, and it was still incomplete! Sure some delay will hype it up, but if you delay and delay and delay, eventually that hot air balloon you keep filling with hype will explode and fall flat.