Closed Thread
Page 119 of 157 FirstFirst ... 69 109 117 118 119 120 121 129 ... LastLast
    Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    but if you delay and delay and delay, eventually that hot air balloon you keep filling with hype will explode and fall flat.
    See : DayZ and the early access survival genre

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Thiefami View Post
    It's not hard to see Hobo's point. Why not scrap the project? Instead they kept it alive for years, baiting and over promising. All game developers do it, some more than others, but we all know SE is notorious for this tactic.

If there were no perceived benefits, why continue to hype/promote or even acknowledge a stagnant project? What was the point of cryptic responses on the project status while stringing people along with skimp scattered releases of concepts, lore, and screenshots over 10 years before making any leeway on the project?

I have no idea what they thought they would gain from it, but it was a tactic they employed. Whether they actually saw any benefit is anyone's guess, but that certainly falls within the definition of 'milking it'.
    But SE didn't hype or promote Versus except the first few years of development.. the fanbase did. The whole project wouldn't have been mentioned by the company if fans or the press didn't ask anything. There were no trailers or information until the XV reveal a few years later.

I'm not sure if you're just willfully ignoring the pretty obvious psychological tricks SE has been using for quite a while with all the spinoffs and side stories, but even if we ignore that, there's still, 1.5, 2.5, 2.8, and 1.5+2.5 that are pretty blatantly milking the excitement for 3 as much as possible.
    1.5 was released before KHIII was even announced, 2.5 came out a year later and was heavily requested by fans ever since 1.5 was revealed to be in the works. If anything they were "milking" the franchise and thank god they did! These games were scattered throughout 5-6 devices if you wanted to play the whole thing.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    But SE didn't hype or promote Versus except the first few years of development

untrue, check the wiki.

2006: Announced
    2009: Private showing in theatre at E3.
    2010: in game screenshots, character designs, and subsequent trailer released
    2011: Another trailer and release date
    2012: Sparse info on actual gameplay (cutscenes), a sketch commemorating FF25 Anniversary along with a message 'please wait for his turn to appear', Nomura also confirmed that Versus was still in development
    2013: Finally rebranded as FF15

it wasn't in the 'fanbase' head. lol. They milked that shit.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

That's cool you listed a bunch of inconsequential dates before 2013. Can you please list the additional dollars SE made from "milking" a 10 year development project riddled with issues versus releasing it in a normal year cycle?

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

lol @ anyone who actually thinks SE wanted a 10 year dev cycle on FFXV.

They "milked" 15 for 10 years in the sense that they spent most of the time jerking off.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Eh, not that it needs to be said but my response was to Alkar - I quoted him. He stated that no one but the fans promoted versus, I provided proof of my original statement that they promoted versus throughout.

I never said SE did it for financial gain, I do not believe thats what Hobo was saying either. I simply agree with the statement that SE has a tendency to oversell themselves and string fans along with projects that are set far far into the future. Call it hype, call it anticipation, call it whatever you want - they tend to milk it as a marketing strategy which is largely ineffective (in my opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    That's cool you listed a bunch of inconsequential dates before 2013. Can you please list the additional dollars SE made from "milking" a 10 year development project riddled with issues versus releasing it in a normal year cycle?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

This just in: the creative process doesn't always go smoothly, especially when big names are involved.

It would have been nice if SE could have spent the extra year or so to make XV a completely finished game. But as I was reading back through the thread here after completing the game (I read all 260 pages to track the dev process), it seems like by the time they released XV in its unfinished state, everyone was about ready to give up on Final Fantasy entirely and they had to push a release out whether it was done or not.

O happy days of patchable games.

Anyway, I don't think they milked it, or at least that wasn't the intention. I think they set out to make Versus XIII, had some internal troubles, staff shifts and vision breakdowns, and by the time they realized it wasn't going to work and they needed to start working on the next numbered FF game because XIV was bombing, it was already 3-4 years in development and they had to scrap what they had already spent years doing and start with a (mostly) new vision and story. And if you watch the trailers throughout the XV dev process, half the shit they put in there didn't make it into the final game either because the vision and story was obviously changing through the whole process. It's actually kind of amazing what they did release wasn't a completely disjointed pile of shit. (Yes, there is some stuff missing/omitted for DLCs and the fact that the game couldn't have been in development forever, but honestly it could have been a lot worse)

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

FF15 was a casualty of the fuckup that was the original FF14. To correct that bastard ship, the rest of their major, current project were pretty much gutted until they got that ship sailing and sturdy. During that time, FFXI had it's years long content drought, which killed off most of it's player base, FF13 was extended into three very similar games, and FF15 just never came together because of it. Then the PS4 came along, and re-wrote their DEV schedule again for FF15, causing further issues. In retro-spec, the game never really had a chance to become what it should have been, and it still surprises me it was as good as it turned out.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I was gonna pick up ffxv eventually and all of you are making me rethink it now.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

It's still fun enough and decent. It's just not the greatness you'd want for a game so long in development.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Crash bandicoot better be good.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    I was gonna pick up ffxv eventually and all of you are making me rethink it now.
    What Tyrath said. It's a fun enough game. Not as fantastic as people hoped. It definitely has its flaws but if you're a fan of FF it's worth playing. There's also a lot of DLC left to come including a supposed "expansion" that hasn't been revealed at all save for some hints dropped by Tabata.

Director of Final Fantasy XV, Hajime Tabata, announced that the FFXV team is developing new material for an “awesome new expansion“. This is in addition to all the DLCs they’re already working on.
    That was announced back in January. I wouldn't be surprised if it's somewhat revealed during E3.

Edit: Supposedly in February there were leaks on 4chan about the expansion. Info can be found here. And it looks like they're still going to be adding more cutscenes to beef up the story. Hopefully they add a lot... it needs a lot more beef >_>

Additional cutscenes with Ravus and Niflheim to be added into New Game mode in addition to EPISODE PROMPTO content.
    Additional cutscenes with Noctis and Luna to be added into New Game mode.
    Additional cutscenes with Cor Leonis and Regis to be added into New Game mode in addition to EPISODE GLADIOLUS content.
    PLATINUM DEMO to be added to the main game as a bonus mode.
    EPISODE IGNIS to be released Q4 2017.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Like someone above said, it quite clearly could have been the best FF game ever made, if only there was a little more content in the game and certain story things were explained a little better, which they may be fixing now with DLC episodes =/. I certainly have never actually become so attached and maniacal about a FF game before to the point of reading literally everything I can about it. I feel like those kids back in the early 2000s who were all obsessed with FF7. I think maybe the story and stuff hit me more than usual because of the unique framing (bro roadtrip) and the realism games have nowadays. It's definitely a fun game as well, and more than long enough if you do all the extras (side dungeons, hunts and quests).

I'm glad to hear that Platinum Demo will be coming back, kinda sad I didn't get to play it. I did just play A King's Tale, the free action spinoff game they made, it's actually quite good/fun for what it is. I was surprised. I don't really like the idea of a single player game having expansions on top of DLC but I love the characters and world enough that I will shell out anyway

Maybe by the time PS4s drop in price and I've got some more disposable income, the game will actually be "done" and can be bought a reasonable package cost.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Edit: Nevermind, old story is old.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Ridill