+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Caesar Salad
    BG Level

It's not like It's an actual donation either, you're getting the game at a good price. Sure, you can question the quality of a game not even in development, but the name is strong and hype is real. If this was CoD I'd be raising the red flags, but this is Shenmue 3; I'll make an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekonaruto View Post
    Hate to be THAT guy but some people in the media are pointing out something quite interesting...
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthi...ter-right-now/
    Quote Originally Posted by Talint View Post
    Suzuki's only asking for $2m though? He's got to have SOME publisher in the wings, right? You can't make a video game on $2m, and Suzuki develops HUGE games. This is just to show whoever that there's rabid interest, I would hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    http://gematsu.com/2015/06/sony-part...ii-development

Sony has stated that they are providing financial support.
    Like, you CAN be that guy. Just, y'know, the whole thread basically went over this.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

This is why i only backed the $29, a AAA game is a steal for that price.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuki View Post
    This was my exact line of thought. If the game ends up sucking, what do I care if I dropped 29 bucks on it years prior.

Quote Originally Posted by Talint View Post
    Like, you CAN be that guy. Just, y'know, the whole thread basically went over this.
    Fair enough. I missed that...I have to admit. It's just that I had a discussion about the whole thing with a friend...that it just messes up the basic idea of Kickstarter. Igavania is/was the same...they had 90% of the funding already. And iono...I don't mind, at all even...but yeah...it's more like a very early pre-order than a "we ACTUALLY need your money".

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I never view kickstarter as a donation, but rather a pre-order. If I don't think the price is fair for the product I'm not just going to throw money at it. Maybe others use it differently.

I don't really think there's any question that the kickstarter funds are required to make the game the best it can be though. It's a decade in the making and I trust both the passion and integrity of the developer.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deecup Delight
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuki View Post
    ^This

Worst case scenario: I tossed 29 bucks just to have the complete story.

I do wonder about what Yu said in the AMA though, with the 5 and 10 mil comment. Considering how much Shenmue 1&2 did for many games in the years after Shenmue, it makes me wonder if they could set another bar and if they'd be willing to toss the remaining money at those goals themselves if they aren't reached in the kickstarter.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

That article is just junk. This really is an apples-and-oranges comparison.

The whole "$70M thing to make" is a silly line. You're telling me that a non-HD game, nearly 15 years prior to GTA4, cost almost the same amount to make? Sounds to me like budgets weren't just busted, but they were absolutely obliterated. Did it really cost $70M? Or did it cost $15M, with a whole lot of money spent on marketing and love hotels? We know how broken the Japanese publishing industry has been for years. With Unity and the right tools/experience, you could probably make Shenmue for a tenth of that price today, honestly.

The whole "outside funding/publishing" angle people are seeing with KS these days is really a red herring. Deep Silver's publishing Bloodstained? Great. How many people beyond the original backers are likely to buy the product? Will it be enough to make publishing a worthwhile endeavor?

Does Sony think they can sell enough post-KS copies of Shenmue 3 to cover a $10M budget outlay? $20M? $50M?

Do I think the Shenmue 3 KS has issues? Definitely, but I don't think it ultimately makes it that likely that Shenmue 3 isn't going to happen. I don't think people should suddenly pull their funding. And I definitely don't think it should be compared in any way to Bloodstained.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Cutriss View Post
    The whole "$70M thing to make" is a silly line. You're telling me that a non-HD game, nearly 15 years prior to GTA4, cost almost the same amount to make?
    Probably not, but it was sega themselves that purported that figure.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    Probably not, but it was sega themselves that purported that figure.
    Evidently not.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1..._Shenmue_3.php

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Funding Explained
    There have been many questions concerning Shenmue 3’s budget and what outside sources will be added to the money collected through Kickstarter. I apologize for not having been more forthright in this area and would like to take this opportunity to help clarify the situation.

Ys Net and I have been putting in many long years trying to find a way to bring back a sequel that so many fans have waited so long for. After learning of Kickstarter, I knew it would be possible to get Shenmue 3 started. Wanting to make the best game possible, I also knew that I would have to look to more traditional means to obtain all the funds that would be needed to create the game I had envisioned.

Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game. Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel that will stand proud with its predecessors. While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements, I can say that with their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support as well, Ys Net is able to use more of the money we collect through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3’s development. It is also important to note that your funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 – Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars.

The outpouring of support from all of you, the backers, has been so inspirational. I cannot thank you enough. Having reached our funding goal, I am excited to say that the Shenmue story will go on, and our journey with Ryo and Shenhua will continue. Fans will be able to enjoy the sequel they have waited so long for, and newcomers to the series will be introduced to a unique gaming experience.

Of course, like with any Kickstarter, additional funding will only help us make a better game. On top of everything Shenmue 3 will already bring, the Stretch Goals that I have laid out will add extra quests, events, and new gameplay systems that will make the game even more immersive and take the series to the next level. At the $5 million mark, there will be an all new gameplay feature I would be excited to be able to add to the Shenmue legacy. If we should make the $10 million Stretch Goal, a much larger, completely open world will be yours to explore.

Even if these Stretch Goals are not reached, Shenmue 3 will already be a sequel true to its name, and one we can all be proud of. It is my hope though, that together we can make this Shenmue just as revolutionary as the first two were.

I understand this statement may by late in coming. Going forward, we wish to be as open as possible concerning the game’s development. I would like to again ask for your cooperation and support in helping make Shenmue 3 the best that it can be.

Sincerely, Yu Suzuki
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1273833

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Corey Marshall to return as the voice of Ryo
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1280725

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Official site - http://shenmue.link/us-en/

New trailer soon.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Really hope this hits 5m in the last 3 days. He seems to really want to do the character perspective system.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

if he could bundle I and II donations would probably skyrocket

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Ryo's Japanese VA, Masaya Matsukaze, to return as well
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1295577

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I don't know anything about this game but my husband's a huge fan. I'm going to surprise him with the 300$ rewards. Although I am going to steal the shirt for myself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast