BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Shenmue 3 (PC/PS4) - November 19, 2019

Epic game store exclusive, fuck these people.

Edit: trying to find out what version i’m getting via kickstarter is a fucking chore.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Too many games in November sigh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Man fuck them for this EGS shit.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuki View Post
    trying to find out what version i’m getting via kickstarter is a fucking chore.
    Dig thru your emails for the backer survey link.

Which of course said survey still lists the options as Steam or PS4, and the game is still listed on Steam.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Huh, genuinely curious how Suzuki navigates that epg exclusive snafu if kickstarter had it listed as steam

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Another kickstarter backed game (Phoenix Point) already pulled this shit, nothing is going to happen most likely.

It honestly looks not great anyways, I'll just give away/sell the key and move on with my life.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Shenmue 3 (PC/PS4) - November 19, 2019

People on kickstarter already mass commenting losing their minds.

Edit: to make matters worse, i think i was sent an email 6 days ago stating about requiring the steam client to play the game.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Ys Net has confirmed that Shenmue 3 will be exclusive to the Epic Games Store on PC: "Shenmue III for PC will be will be an Epic Games Store exclusive. Development for Shenmue III has been moving forward using Unreal Engine and the support we have received from Epic has been excellent. But most importantly, in looking for the most enjoyable experience on PC, it was decided together with Deep Silver after much discussion that the Epic Games Store would be the best distribution platform option."

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

The FAQ they link to on the Kickstarter post goes to the game's preorder page.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

EGS also being the home for Unreal Engine is that one-two punch that I dont think people realized at the time, prior to all these exclusives popping up, would be so disruptive in the publishing business. The small devs/teams would eat that shit up, especially at better reimbursement rates.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I will always stand by the statement better reimbursement rates =/= better profits. Fucking idiots is what they are.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm not necessarily going to fault publishers for taking a deal from Epic depending on whatever the payout is. Making a profit in the gaming industry is an incredibly volatile shit show. If Epic is giving you a guaranteed payday, you're fully within your rights to consider it.

That said, this A) doesn't apply to something we see here or with Phoenix Point, when the games were explicitly being sold as being on another platform and B) it's not gonna stop me from hating Epic themselves for this stuff (especially after it was directly stated they would stop doing this to games right before release) because it's incredibly scummy.

It's worth noting to that with the snafu for the game Phoenix Point, they gave refunds to those who wanted it, and people who didn't get refunds would get both the Epic key, and the Steam/GOG key they originally wanted once the one year exclusivity was up + the first year of DLC free.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Excuse my ignorance about the EGS exclusivity but what’s the big deal? Not trolling, never used the epic games store before.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Excuse my ignorance about the EGS exclusivity but what’s the big deal? Not trolling, never used the epic games store before.
    Epic (i.e. Fortnite, Unreal Engine, etc) launched their own store front earlier this year. It has basically zero features in comparison to the other storefronts like Steam/Origin/etc, like no cloud saving, reviews, forums, controller configuration, shopping carts, achievements, offline mode, and given that Epic is 40% owned by Tencent, there's a fair number of justifiable concerns about all your data being passed off to China (tho it's hilarious to see everyone complain about exactly that on reddit given they're also partially owned by Tencent).

Epic has been buying up exclusives from various publishers, either time limited (mostly 6 months to a year) or fully exclusive to the EGS. While i'm sure a fair number of the people complaining online are just using it as an excuse to justify that it's ok for them to pirate the game like with Denuvo DRM, it's also fair that they simply don't want to support Epic being scummy as fuck with the their business tactics. The non-functional offline mode is also a gigantic deal breaker for myself, since it means the games will be unplayable when I'm deployed. I've mostly been looking at a game going (timed) exclusive to the EGS as a 6-12 month delay in release, but by all accounts with Shenmue III being 100% exclusive to the EGS, that's a big hell nah from a lot of people.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Wow fuck that!

Hopefully I chose PS4 as the platform. Need to double check.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Epic (i.e. Fortnite, Unreal Engine, etc) launched their own store front earlier this year. It has basically zero features in comparison to the other storefronts like Steam/Origin/etc, like no cloud saving, reviews, forums, controller configuration, shopping carts, achievements, offline mode, and given that Epic is 40% owned by Tencent, there's a fair number of justifiable concerns about all your data being passed off to China (tho it's hilarious to see everyone complain about exactly that on reddit given they're also partially owned by Tencent).

Epic has been buying up exclusives from various publishers, either time limited (mostly 6 months to a year) or fully exclusive to the EGS. While i'm sure a fair number of the people complaining online are just using it as an excuse to justify that it's ok for them to pirate the game like with Denuvo DRM, it's also fair that they simply don't want to support Epic being scummy as fuck with the their business tactics. The non-functional offline mode is also a gigantic deal breaker for myself, since it means the games will be unplayable when I'm deployed. I've mostly been looking at a game going (timed) exclusive to the EGS as a 6-12 month delay in release, but by all accounts with Shenmue III being 100% exclusive to the EGS, that's a big hell nah from a lot of people.
    Pretty much this. It's a bare bones storefront, with promises to flesh it out steam like later, but on the other hand they've given hella great discounts on games to date, and they give developers a much bigger share of the game price compared to steam. Like 88% vs 70% iirc.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    developers
    Publishers, not developers.

And real talk, the consumer shouldn't give a single flying fuck about what kind of profit margins a storefront is giving the publisher unless there is a quantifiable benefit to them. There's no guarantee that a game going on the Epic Store is going to benefit the actual developers, it's more likely then not just a way for the publishers to line their pockets while providing an inferior experience to the consumer at the same price.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

When I say developers, I say it from the standpoint of small devs trying to make their first game and all that goes with it. They dont need to have a publisher, but yes if they do have a publisher then they get their cut from the 88% first. It's still more money for the dev at the end of the day tho.

And I care cause more and more were seeing articles of just how terrible the dev game is. Working crazy overtime hours with no pay, getting laid off as soon as the game ships, etc. This isn't an egs problem, but more money finding it's way back to the people who make the game will be helpful in solving this.

When the reason apex doesnt have an many and as large updates as Fortnite does because, from the devs mouths themselves, they do not let their workers work crazy crunch time/unpaid overtime and as a result they cant make Fortnite magic happen, I take notice and change my shopping habits. EGS ain't perfect, but the things they do right I really like and am willing to wait until the rest is built around it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast