FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

just grabbed this off humble bundle it's still 50% off there if anyone missed it on steam, if it sucks i'm coming back here with some words for you guys

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Really pretty good tbh. I had never played Drakengard or the previous Nier and I still enjoyed it a lot. Finished it yesterday with the five main endings and 90%+ completion for quests and everything.

Spoiler: show
    Story:
    The story gets convoluted as fuck, but by the end it kind of makes sense that the story doesn't make sense. I still could have done without a couple of random plot twists that added nothing to my appreciation of the game. Also, the way they broke apart the game as kind of genius. Felt like I got ~2.5 games for the price of one without wasting $ on DLC.

Gameplay:
    Very fun. My single critique is that the hacking minigame kind of blows. Also, I didn't figure out that both d-sticks worked in the minigame until way too late.

Characters/Voice Acting:
    9S and 2B were fine. A2's character or voice actor kind of annoyed me and I couldn't quite put my finger on why.

Overall I was shocked how well this game worked. It is the only game I've played in the last few years that really drew me in.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    just grabbed this off humble bundle it's still 50% off there if anyone missed it on steam, if it sucks i'm coming back here with some words for you guys
    it's also 50% off on the PlayStation store this week.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME

BG Level

shit is epic so far, was like 5 diff gamestyles in the first 20 minutes. really cool, i usually don't get into single player games but this one is sweet, i'll be working on this a while. just wandered the desert like moses and fought a naked dude that respawned 10/10

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Its style points are off the charts.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

shit is epic so far, was like 5 diff gamestyles in the first 20 minutes. really cool, i usually don't get into single player games but this one is sweet, i'll be working on this a while. just wandered the desert like moses and fought a naked dude that respawned 10/10
    Nier is one of the very few games I would entertain as a masterpiece.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME

BG Level

finally finished ending A, what a game so far, can't wait to play through the other endings

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

The endings are a trap. The story just keeps developing until ending E.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME

BG Level

yeah super cool how they did that

BG Level

Yeah. Endings A through E are more like chapters. All the other endings are just joke endings.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    The endings are a trap. The story just keeps developing until ending E.
    Even cooler is that the game doesn't even have a kinda route C spoiler:
    a game name/title drop until shortly into route C
    . Game gets turned up at this point in my opinion, and this sequence was amazingly well done.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME

BG Level

finally finished ending E after playing most of the day, what a great fucking game, haven't gotten sucked into a single player game like that since dark souls 1. excited to go back and do all the side quests and stuff.

pretty much agree with AG on all points here, half the game was fucking heartbreaking, my wife watched about 3/4 the game while i played cause it was like a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    after getting distracted by vacations and Zelda and girl kisses finally started playing NieR again this week, quickly turned into an obsession and i finished playthrough 1 and obliterated 2/3 in a few days. first Taro game, and the reputation is deserved. spoilers to follow-

the formatting is brilliant, using playthrough 2 to deconstruct archetypes and player assumptions ('he won't look my way' absolutely broke my heart and nearly brought a tear for a boss that had previously only gotten a, well that's one fucked up monstrous robot, response) and 3 to actually complete the narrative post-protagonist. the soundtrack is exemplary, the shifts from Bayonetta slashing to bullet hell hacking to arcade fly n shoot mixed genres successfully in a way few games do and always had a narrative rationale rather than feeling shoe-horned in, the chip system was a nice way to customize and again totally in sync with the world's rules. everything in this game was so thought out, so precisely orchestrated to support a singular vision, it is a level of careful craftsmanship that is rare outside of the small-scale indie world. thematically it punched in the heart and the brain, typical of so much Japanese art that explores heady philosophical content by way of melodramatic characters suffering terrible tragedy.

and God damn is this game tragic. after the game makes you feel like fucking shit for killing Simone and Eve they take fucking 2B from you in the most painful fucking way possible then the fucking homie Pascal begs you to euthanize him after his God damn fucking kids all commit seppuku because they don't want to get canibalized then 9S loses his God damn fucking shit and boom he runs into previously cold-as-ice 21O who has been corrupted and starts spouting off how she just wanted to be part of a family and my God damn heart started to feel the way it did at the end of Life is Strange and i thought i may never know happiness again. thank Allah for Ending E.

i could write a dozen more paragraphs which is usually a good indication one needs to conclude. the game clearly has some flaws, but there is no game that is truly perfect, and NieR:Automata is one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life, and it gets a perfect 5/5 melancholy burgeoning sentiences.

BG Level

NieR Automata (PC/PS4)

What I love about the game is even a lot of side quests add to the lore in a meaningful way.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

What I love about this game is 2B's ass.

Also, the framerate, on a serious note. Its about a dusty as an armored core game, but the FPS holds up well.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

So I got left behind on this game on my first playthrough >_< I gotta get back into it cuz clearly I haven't gotten into much of it at all.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    So, a bump for people here. I came across something interesting if anyone wants to explore the lore further. I dunno if anyone came across it on their usual travels but in the off chance that this is new to you, then I've done my job.

There was a concert in May 2017, that included a stage play which includes 5 story acts, read out by the JP voice actors. The stories can be considered prequel, side story, sequel (it has a bad and good take of the final ending of the game) and maybe an alternative point of view from A2 especially. The magical thing was, that someone fan translated it, and the official voice actors of 2B and 9S (Kira and Kyle) caught this translation and decided to do their own reading of it in character, along with some help with 3 others acting as the Pods and A2 (not official). This, combined with music and sound effects from the game, made it a very authentic experience.

One can watch it and also watch the twitch chat embedded, or just watch the expressions of Kira and Kyle especially as they read and act out their lines. It's a wonderful experience.

They read it cold, so no rehearsing was done and they only knew the basics of the story. Minor mistakes here and there, but it works.
    Thanks for posting this, I gotta find time at some point to listen to the video. This actually inspired me to go back out and buy the game again. I might use that 20% off coupon on the PSN store to buy the DLC.

BG Level

finally finished ending E after playing most of the day, what a great fucking game, haven't gotten sucked into a single player game like that since dark souls 1. excited to go back and do all the side quests and stuff.

pretty much agree with AG on all points here, half the game was fucking heartbreaking, my wife watched about 3/4 the game while i played cause it was like a movie.
    i always knew you were one of the good ones Day

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Xbox version got leaked early

https://square-enix-games.com/en_US/...ox-has-arrived

In the first of many exciting E3 announcements, we’re excited to announce that the critically acclaimed NieR:Automata is finally coming to the Xbox Store as the NieR:Automata BECOME AS GODS Edition on June 26, 2018.