+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Raises more questions than it answers. Much like his games.

Seriously though, how can you not love this man?

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

i'm just glad i finally know how to pronounce the title

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    watched a series of youtube videos covering the Drakengard/Nier storylines to get up to speed and let me just say

what

the

fuck

can't tell if Yoko Taro is a genius or autistic or an autistic genius
    each video is like 30 fucking minutes. no tl;dw versions. cant sit through it

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I just gave them the podcast treatment and listened to them while doing something else.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    i'm just glad i finally know how to pronounce the title
    OK. ABOUT THIS.

Multiple reviewers and even the English voice for 9S have said that they were pronouncing it incorrectly as "aw-to-MAH-ta" (kind of like automobile), which is how I was pronouncing it. It's "supposed" to (by what source I have no idea) be like "aw-TAH-ma-ta" (like automaton). But the game will (eventually) say the former pronunciation. So fuck whoever says it's the latter. Aw Tomata. That's more or less how our lord and savior Yoko Taro is saying it so that's what matters. Right?

But anyways.

I love this game. It's not without some flaws but the positives vastly outweigh any negatives. There are a lot of moments where it occurred to me how much effort went into (UI/music/whatever team) creating a spectacle experience that lasted about 3 minutes or less when they didn't absolutely need to do so. It's absolutely a labor of love. I hesitate to overhype it but this shot to basically my number one game of all time, edging out the likes of Bravely Default, Tales of the Abyss, and Bloodborne.

And I'll add as an aside that if you've never played it, Undertale is very spiritually similar to the Nier games (albeit unintentionally) and is extremely inexpensive. If you're hungry for a Yoko Taro-lite experience, it's worth your time.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

That music is classic NieR but also has kind of a Persona feel.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Finally caught up on games after finishing Horizon, Zelda, and Nier. For as much hype as Zelda gets it wasn't near a complete package as Horizon or Nier. Both were really exceptionally done that playing Zelda always felt like something was missing. Not to say that BOTW was a bad game but it's like a 8/10 compared to the 9/10 that these were.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Like I said in other threads. Zelda is a good, maybe great, game being lauded as a masterpiece because it has Zelda in the title.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Like I said in other threads. Zelda is a good, maybe great, game being lauded as a masterpiece because it has Zelda in the title.
    I wouldn't go that far... I know a lot of people who don't play Zelda that have loved BotW. It does a lot of stuff great outside of the lack of a story.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    I wouldn't go that far... I know a lot of people who don't play Zelda that have loved BotW. It does a lot of stuff great outside of the lack of a story.
    I love it too. But that doesn't change my point on the overall perceptions of the game or the ridiculously high critic reviews.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by KuroTsuki View Post
    5 attempts and about 2 hours later, I finally got to the first saving area on Hard lol. Liking the game so far. Although, I'm experiencing some horrible frame drops (or maybe pacing?) during cutscenes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Also good to remember you can heal at any point on hard if you use the down dpad shortcut menu. It's a lot easier to handle the first part with that. Also light/heavy attacks clear bullets.
    sweet mother of God wish i had read these posts before starting, 2.5 hours to get to the first save. prolly doesn't help i haven't held a controller since DS III released. game doesn't mess around with hard / very hard.

game's running nearly perfectly for me (outside of the cutscene FPS dips), looks p decent maxed out with Krandor's shaders and has native 21:9 support which is unheard of for a console port. god bless the 1070.

Yeah. That shit was crazy. It gets a lot easier after that, though. Mainly cause you can save more often

♥ Neliel ♥
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Suzunomia Hymnos
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I forgot you can use sword attacks during some of the bullet hell stages, made the one I did just now 10x easier.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Got my game last night, went in blind (didn't see any gameplay videos at all, just know the music is good and it plays a tiny bit like Devil May Cry), and got to the first open area, my comments to my friend were as follows:

does your ps4 pad glow white when playing
    cause it's meant to be blue usually

<after being told yes>

nah was confused that's all

<9S appears>

my paperboy can fly. can i fly... ? (soon)

<multiple camera changes>
    i see, so not only the flight sequences, but it seems the game can put me in on a 2D plane or a top down view pane at will

<my flying question was unanswered>

these fooking red balls are aids

<got told to mash R2 (dodge)>

THAT'S WHAT I AM DOING
    FEELS CHEAP BUT OH WELL, FIRST BOSS SUCKS DICK

<was on the 2 chain saws encounter>

i can't get an opening to attack

<friend tells me first boss killed him and he nearly gave up the game because there was no save point before him, and tells me to make sure I win this encounter>

WAT
    oh shit let me sit up
    i'll just shoot it to death

<2 chain saws retreat, real boss comes>

oh man
    the real boss comes
    FUCKKK!

<boss begins to unleash attacks>

oh fuck off i didn't subscribe to playing a bullet hell game lol
    more red aids

<paperboy hacks boss>

AWWWWW WHAT THE HELL i thought we fly off back to mothership but NOOOOO we fight boss again GAMEPLAY CHANGE

<I'm in the space station/lobby and going through the short tutorials>

I CAN FISH. WHY CAN I FISH.
    i guess i got rekt because of story but i gotta rebuild/buy my HUD? something tells me that i have to do this each time i blow my load
    and i guess this message system is like dark souls

<land on earth again>

KILLED BY A MOOSE. DIDN'T SEE I HAD LIKE 10% HP

HAHAHAHHA i can see other player's bodies near the moose. Glad it wasn't just me.

FARMING BODIES WOOOO

hah cool i went back on the map to where i died and picked up my own body i guess, got loads of loot
    (from story at beginning where first boss was)
    I proceeded to explore a bit and picking up items, which appear to have a respawn time? I swear I backed into the same area after a while and it reappeared.

This game needs to be clear about its "walls". At the factory beginning I jumped off and got ported back to the ledge I jumped from. Some areas I seemingly can jump off but I cannot.

This lead me to falling down in the city area with the bridge/river at the bottom; I survived the fall with 1 HP and then some level 26 mobs jumped me and I got one shot.

---

1 question, does dying often (as long as I saved) matter? The game explanation made me feel that I drop a few items/stats each time I do. Especially that I can retrieve my own body (besides the one at the bottom of the river, for now)

Also what purpose does self destruct serve? (despite it being used in the "intro")

Using the map usually lets you know what's out of bounds, it's a bit weird at first since you need to remember the game has quite a bit of verticality.

Items have respawn timers, there's RPG elements where you need ingredients to upgrade shit. Just know you get a chip that lets you auto-pick up stuff near to you near the end of route A, that makes gathering shit a lot easier.

Dying doesn't matter much, you lose your currently equipped chipset unless you recover your body. If you fear that you're going to die you can just unequip the set to save your stuff.

Self destruct doesn't have much use for 2B. You can get a joke ending if you do it in a certain place. It has more application later but it kinda functions differently. Can't really get into it without spoilers. It also does a huge amount of damage and leaves you vulnerable for a bit.

The most common application is to see more of 2B's butt tho.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meliadoul Tinjeru
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I think the chips that heal you when you kill/damage enemies work with self-destruct, so that might be something to try.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Thanks for info, i'll give it a shot tonight.

Plus the self destruct to see the butt thing.

I also half wonder if the blindfolds the main character wears is to prevent us from being too attached to them on a psychological level.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

The blindfolds are actually combat visors. Really.