1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 21 hours, 39 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 2 hours, 20 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 14 hours, 39 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 19 hours, 20 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Black Mage - 3.0 Changes/Rotations/Guides/Theorycrafting

3.0 Change List:

New Actions:
    Ley Lines - Lv 52 - Connects naturally occurring ley lines to create a circle of power which, while standing within it, increases attack speed by 15%. Circle fades upon leaving it. 30 second duration, 90 second recast. - Tooltip says circle fades, but it does not. Unclear if bug or intended but iirc it was mentioned in a liveletter they were considering having the circle staying
    Sharpcast - Lv 54 - Ensures the next Scathe, Fire, or Thunder spell cast will trigger all additional effects of the respective spell - 10 second duration, 60 second recast.
    Enochian - Lv 56 - Increases magic damage dealt by 5%. Also allows the casting of Blizzard IV and Fire IV for 30 seconds, 60 second recast.
    Blizzard IV - Lv 58 - Deals ice damage with a potency of 280. Can only be executed while under the effect of both Enochian and Umbral Ice. 3 second Cast - Mana Cost 884
    Fire IV - Lv 60 - Deals fire damage with a potency of 280. Can only be executed while under the effect of both Enochian and Astral Fire. 3 second Cast - Mana Cost 884

Sourced From http://www.garlandtools.org/db/

Battle System:
    - Skillspeed and spellspeed now affect damage over time and healing over time effects.
    - The effect of determination on auto-attacks has been reduced.
    - Critical hit rate now affects damage dealt with a critical strike.

Existing Actions:
    - Fire 1: Potency from 170 to 180
    - Blizzard 1: Deals ice damage with a potency of 180 (from 170)
    - Flare:
    Deals fire damage to a target and enemies near it with a potency of 260 for the first enemy, 10% less for the second, 20% less for the third, 30% less for the fourth, 40% less for the fifth, and 50% less for all remaining enemies.
    - Fire 2: No change - Garlond DB said it proc'ed firestarter but that hasn't translated ingame, at least from what i've seen, nor on the tooltips.
    - Manawall: Creates a barrier that nullifies physical damage up to 20% of maximum HP, 20 second duration, 120 second recast

Other Classes:
    Scholar - Seleen:
    Fey Glow changed to Fey Wind (Attack Speed increase of 3% for 30 seconds, 60 second cooldown)
    Dragoon:
    Battle Litany: Increases the Critical Hit Rate of self and party members by 15% for 20 seconds, 180 second cooldown

Other:
    Job Quest Starts in Ul'dah - Steps of Thal (X:12 Y:13)
    NPC: Lalai

Work in progress, will try and keep this updated. If anyone has any further information, please post and i'll update

Resources:
    Patch Notes: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodest...0a926fddc9eca8
    Screenshots from Reddit: http://imgur.com/a/FwBSu
    Live Letter XXI: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/238399
    Reddit Datamining Thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...within/csaoiwa

Aikaal's Guide:
    http://solitude.guildwork.com/_/aikaals-blm-guide

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hitome Naoki
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

That flare and manawall change. Interesting to see the cast times on fire IV and blizzard IV.

Thanks for compiling all this.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Couple of updates; F2 does not proc Firestarter, the datamining seems to be wrong. Way Lines also does not disappear if you move out - although the tooltip says it does.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I have a feeling sharpcast will be used to start an initially volley of thunders on aoe pulls, and to save you when you choose to use fire IV three times consecutively and astral drops before your fire I can renew it.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by arkaine23 View Post
    I have a feeling sharpcast will be used to start an initially volley of thunders on aoe pulls, and to save you when you choose to use fire IV three times consecutively and astral drops before your fire I can renew it.
    Pretty much. I love it for Thunder rotations. Great way to start a fight too with some burst damage.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hitome Naoki
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I don't know if you all caught this video, but it was pretty interesting to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLknGVIymm8

The general gist is as ark mentioned above: use sharp to sit in astral fire III as long as possible (via a firestarter proc) while maximizing # of fire IV casts.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by HitomeOfBismarck View Post
    I don't know if you all caught this post, but it was pretty interesting to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLknGVIymm8
    Yeah, caught it on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/commen...k_in_progress/

Some interesting stuff, although i've been working too much to get to 60. I'll work more on the rotation once I hit 60.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hitome Naoki
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Right there with you!

Also, here's hoping tonight's maintenance doesn't 'fix' leylines. I wish they had stuck with this implementation rather than the punishment for doing mechanics.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by HitomeOfBismarck View Post
    Right there with you!

Also, here's hoping tonight's maintenance doesn't 'fix' leylines. I wish they had stuck with this implementation rather than the punishment for doing mechanics.
    I didn't even know about maintenance and fearing a fix ; ;

Also, may be fearing learning this new rotation... feels much more complicated.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hitome Naoki
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Good news is that they didn't change leylines though that may change with tonight's (6/24/15) maintenance.

Getting to 60 and experimenting with the suggested rotation in the video...it's a lot to take in! He also updated it in this Reddit thread and it looks pretty solid except I tend to disagree about opening with blizzard 3.

I'm more curious about how this has affected our AoE rotation. Any thoughts?

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Wow this new rotation is not as complicated as I originally thought it would be. The only issue is sometimes I think "I just gotta eat this AoE so I can cast Bliz 4 to extend my Fire 4s"

As for AoE, I'm a little disappointed that the scaling post-50 makes it so I don't have the MP to Flare -> Convert -> Fire 2 -> Flare anymore. Also, Leylines makes it difficult to Transpose into a Fire 3 to restart AoE rotation, gotta make a small pause after MP tick before casting Fire 3.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neon Sea
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I was honestly contemplating using freeze in the new aoe rotation under leylines, gotta test it. As is leylines does not help aoe rotations at all, in fact it hurts it. Which is bullocks because it is one of the rare occasions you can actually just sit and bomb on things. I don't know about this new black mage guys they feel slow as shit right now.

EDIT: one cool thing is Ast's Arrow card + leylines = holy shit

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So, I have a lv 50 BLM from 1.0, I never touched it in 2.0 but my retainer is THM so I want to level it to 60 instead of changing my retainers job
    Anyone could point me to some guide/rotation for 50 that would get me started on how to play the job? I tried doing some hunt on it and currently feel awkward.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hitome Naoki
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Neon_Sea View Post
    I was honestly contemplating using freeze in the new aoe rotation under leylines, gotta test it. As is leylines does not help aoe rotations at all, in fact it hurts it. Which is bullocks because it is one of the rare occasions you can actually just sit and bomb on things. I don't know about this new black mage guys they feel slow as shit right now.

EDIT: one cool thing is Ast's Arrow card + leylines = holy shit
    This is what gets me. I'm going to try freeze but it has always been very clunky. I just don't know what to do with AoE anymore. On three targets, it feels like doing single target rotation seems more efficient sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    So, I have a lv 50 BLM from 1.0, I never touched it in 2.0 but my retainer is THM so I want to level it to 60 instead of changing my retainers job
    Anyone could point me to some guide/rotation for 50 that would get me started on how to play the job? I tried doing some hunt on it and currently feel awkward.
    This rotation should probably get you where you want to go. As you level, you'll have to change it up quite a bit due to MP costs of spells changing.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Amazing link, thanks. Now a noob question to that: how do I understand this: F5 T1, F5 T2, F5-T2B are these different variations of rotations?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neon Sea
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Yeah, fire x 5 then Thunder 1(bliz 1 to fill more time) is the generally most accepted ARR Black Mage rotation.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Its hard to say how the raw DPS lines up compared to other classes for sure but it seems from the info we have available that the Melee Classes + SMN are above BLM when you take into account movement/rotation etc.

Theres some quirks with the rotation that just don't feel right due to the combination of:

- Low astral fire timer + High Cast time of F4
    - Difference in Mana for F1 and F4 (Meaning if you are forced to use a F1 you can, in some cases, effectively lose two Fire 4's)
    - Slight inability to cast a F4 when going into Astral Fire (So, F3+Gap+F4) - even with the reduced cast time of Fire 3 when in Umbral Ice (and same with using B4 straight after B3)
    - Thundercloud in a lot of cases going wasted because you can't use it without breaking your rotation.
    - Using the Enochain skill when you already have enochain up refreshes at a lower timer, so you have to let it run off then weave in the cast.

I like the idea of F4/B3/Enochain. Just needs a bit more quality of life. But right now, I just don't see a point in the class with SMN as strong as what it is. Sure, BLM have had some strong buffs with the new skills, but remember the class has had MASSIVE nerfs with Fey Glow going and the nerfs to spellspeed, as well as being the class that scales the least off of WD/Main stat (assuming they haven't changed the damage formulae much).

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hitome Naoki
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

There are definitely a lot of very odd things going on with BLM at the moment.

I really dislike that they still haven't changed to a look ahead system when it comes to our astral/umbral buffs. That delay between B3 and F4 is quite noticeable as you mention and there really isn't much you can do about it unlike the umbral phase. Even in the umbrla phase, the second time you enter this phase you will have to cast blizzard IV almost immediately to save your enochian timer.

The fact that you can't right click enochian off speaks a lot about how it was planned out. Also, as you mention again, the fact that reusing enochian actually counts as casting a blizzard IV instead of refreshing the buff's internal refresh cycle makes me wonder what they were thinking when designing this.

Also consider the fact that the current itemization on our gear puts us at a whopping 539 SSPD w/o food and the adjustments to spell speed, it's going to be very rough unless you know the fight ahead of time.

I definitely think SMN is the current ideal caster for progression right now sadly.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neon Sea
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Can't say unless we see the fights. I like black mage now more, the thing is there is a bunch of quirks to the class that are either going to take mastery or we just have to take it for what it is to get results.

Here is a tip though:

(No FS proc implied)
    If you ever have to dodge during your first Fire IV after a Fire I you can only cast one.
    If you have to dodge on your second Fire IV you can not cast it
    If you think you may have to dodge after your second Fire IV, pop a cd to finish the following Fire I if possible (swift ward wall)

Note: this is also for current spell speeds, I took my spell speed to 715 and it gives you a little more leeway.

I just hit 60 myself and its awful. I'm not gonna bitch too much until I get gear and spellspeed, but I can't believe more people are not complaining.

The thing about blm 2.0 is that you could stall the rotation.. fish for procs and use them as you needed to dodge and you could keep almost 100% uptime on any fight. I often had highest dps on titan ex, just cause its burned into my mind.

Even knowing a fight perfectly I can't see how the new rotation is going to work. You can't stall, the timers are counting down and nothing you can do will help. You will take a significant hit in dps every time you so much as move an inch.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast