1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 15 hours, 50 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 8 hours, 9 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 8 hours, 50 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 1 hours, 9 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast
    a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Rather have it and not need it than need it and have to re-meld everything, personally.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Rather have it and not need it than need it and have to re-meld everything, personally.
    This.

Materia was dirt cheap so I strayed from my original plan of VIT 4x2 and VIT 3 x3

I also go extremely lucky with some of the melds.

Honorary Wanglad
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaist Vaughn
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Off of the topic of melding I want to hear more people's thoughts on the skills PLD got 50-60. Namely, Clemency, Divine Veil, and Sheltron as those are the 3 cooldowns we got. When I tanked Ravana EX I tried to get the most out of these skills and I've found issues with each that I'm not sure how they'll play out in Alexander fights.

Sheltron's issue in Ravana EX is that you can't reliably get it to soak Blinding Blade as it's an instant attack. Thanks to this, he often throws out an auto-attack in a split second before he uses Blinding and I'd end up blocking that with Sheltron instead, and I can't for the life of me remember if this would happen on abilities like Flatten in Final Coil that had a channeling bar. On paper Sheltron should be a great ability for any tank buster attack, but if auto-attacks go off just as a big move happens then that hurts it a lot.

Divine Veil's issue isn't as big as it's mainly communication dependent. That said, I've made a macro to announce when I use it and I try to call out on voice chat that I have it up in cases where the group is stacking (like Laughing Rose) and it still felt like healers just don't take advantage of DV very well. I think though, that DV will be a really nice ability once groups get used to it for learning content as I can see PLD hp hitting 20k pretty easily in the next few weeks.

I agree with Taint completely on Clemency though. Clemency's cast time is, I feel, the biggest thing that kills the usefulness of the ability. As it stands, Clemency isn't really worth using when MT'ing because you're giving up block and parry to try and heal yourself for 3 seconds and your healers are likely bombing you with cures in the process. When I did try to use it on people in Ravana that got burns from fire pools/lines I often found myself interrupted by Liberation Circles and while I think part of that is just timing, it often felt like a waste of time. I really would love to use this ability more often but unlike Equilibrium, there's too much working against Clemency to justify much use of the skill. I really do hope they change it so it feels more usable in fights as a mini-CD of sorts.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I'll compare notes on Ravana EX.

First off, we're doing WAR MT and PLD OT. We have done FCoB this way for 10-12 (PLD MT on 13 just because), and it's just how we're used to rolling. That said he spends basically all of the fight after opener in Deliverance anyways (and I am obv Sword for basically any part where Ravana is hit-able).

Because I have a lot of practice in T11 steppin in front of Kaliya to only eat Resonance, Ravana is right up my ballpark and Sheltron is insanely useful as an OT for this situation BECAUSE you don't have to waste it on an autoattack. As a MT I feel it is only useful in terms of MP sustain and blocking a hit with a cast time.

Divine Veil I saved for double Prey part instead since Laughing isn't that fatal. I feel it will be niche useful but it is basically a Sacred Soil on a cooldown 5 times as long with hoops to jump through to activate it.

I don't even feel the cast time is the problem with Clemency (as an OT). It's that in all the times we've done Ravana all the points I feel I'm ok to toss a spell at my co-tank, he's at full HP so I'm using Stoneskin anyways. I -could- Clemency him on a split like Blinding but I'm usually mid-combo so again, problematic. A 5k+ self heal with Conval is nothing to scoff at though.

I feel our tools will be tested in time and, like PLD as a whole, are designed to ease progression more than anything. "Be prepared".

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I actually get 6000 clemency critical heals, and upwards of 8-9k with convalescence. Who needs a WHM, hehe.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by egolds01 View Post
    I actually get 6000 clemency critical heals, and upwards of 8-9k with convalescence. Who needs a WHM, hehe.
    You guys not running str at all? I was hitting 7k crits on dps @ ilvl 160.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Taint View Post
    Yeah i forgot to mention that. I'm sitting at 550 SS but haven't tested it yet. Hoping for 11 GCD between gorings.

554 SS is nowhere close enough to fitting 11 GCDs in between Gorings. Secondaries seem to scale like crap right now.

I've said this before but it just seems that way because we all went from wearing Dreawyrm at level 50 to "darklight" at level 60.

So yea, it's gonna seem like everything sucks, but that's just because we're wearing entry level gear again.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    I've said this before but it just seems that way because we all went from wearing Dreawyrm at level 50 to "darklight" at level 60.

So yea, it's gonna seem like everything sucks, but that's just because we're wearing entry level gear again.

No doubt, they started the scale over. I just didn't expect 554 to show extremely little SS increase.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

3.0'S PLD:
    The new weaponskills are great.
    Shelltron will probably prove to be situationally useful, probably even critical at times. As of now its not really shining. But I like the MP.

Divine Veil needs to be reworked a bit.

Clemency needs some serious changes. Either make it require less MP or cast faster, or a little of both. Personally I would like to see it take less time to cast. Why is SE so hesitant to make FFXIV's PLD, a PLD?

My biggest complaint about 3.0 PLD is the ilvls. We lost all the secondary stats.. My parry hasn't been this low since ifrit, and the lack of SS is very noticable. I can't believe how slowly my actions take to refresh.

Edit: Btw, has anyone got a new ideal attribute distribution for PLD @ Lv.60?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

IMO max STR. It's one accessory's worth of stats at this point.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I was thinking of keeping my HP floating at the 17k through vit mark (seems to be a comfortable amount with bad healers) as PLD and dumping any additional in str. But I've just found out since I came back to XIV that str/dex have been nerfed with regards to dmg mitigation and block %. (if true, wtf why?!)

Claustrum. Really?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaith Laqueus
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    I was gonna say you could have probably saved some gil using Fending accessories with good secondaries melded with STR but the STR/VIT on accessories doesn't even out until the 180 level for some reason, and STR materia gives less STR than VIT materia gives VIT, so you would get less from the melds.

It's a very odd trend:
    0-i139 -----> VIT>STR
    i142 -------> VIT=STR
    i145-i170 --> STR>VIT
    i180 -------> VIT=STR

Wonder if it's gonna keep bobbing back and forth or if they're just gonna stay equal i180+.
    Late but they aren't equal on Ravana weapons if that's any indication. VIT is higher.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Cursed View Post
    I was thinking of keeping my HP floating at the 17k through vit mark (seems to be a comfortable amount with bad healers) as PLD and dumping any additional in str. But I've just found out since I came back to XIV that str/dex have been nerfed with regards to dmg mitigation and block %. (if true, wtf why?!)
    DEX no longer affects block rate iirc, not that anyone geared for it.

For STR, they didn't so much nerf it as they just reset that progression. Instead of allowing us to climb higher, they brought us back to when we first started as level 50 darklight wielders and make us goes through to totem pole again. Can call it a nerf. I call it bad foresight from SE.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

STR literally doesn't effect parries at all anymore, are you sure it still works on blocks? I assumed they'd remove it for those too but I haven't played my PLD since 2.55.

Honorary Wanglad
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaist Vaughn
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

It's been confirmed in a dev post that the str and dex tooltips for the NA client were missed so we should be seeing them changed to reflect that both stats no longer influence block and parry. The only reason to go with str now is to help boost your damage and threat generation.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Must've missed that being mentioned. That's pretty stupid.

Not that it affects the stat priority, gearing for STR is still the best thing you do as a tank once you reach a comfortable HP threshold to handle tank busters.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Carth View Post
    Must've missed that being mentioned. That's pretty stupid.

Not that it affects the stat priority, gearing for STR is still the best thing you do as a tank once you reach a comfortable HP threshold to handle tank busters.
    This, not many people seem to realize once you out class a content in HP threshold you're wasting stats by inflating your HP. Having higher HP doesn't suddenly make fights easier, still have to be cured at some point and if your healers are not pushing some sort of DPS(there are plenty of those) then you might as well make them work so you can push out some more damage.

Currently there is zero reason to go around with any form of VIT gear, dungeons, and primals are not that scary where if you're missing HP from your potential max that it's suddenly impossible to do. I imagine that might stay that way until Savage where you're going to want melded gear, which is also the patch that is suppose to give crafters their i160+ crafts so we can take advantage of T5 materias, because currently you cannot.

Honorary Wanglad
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaist Vaughn
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

It's lazy of me but I'm still using VIT accessories as I haven't seen much in the way of the crafted 150 accessories yet and I don't know of anyone that can craft them at the moment. I'm planning on waiting a bit to see how things are before I start dumping money into that stuff but I certainly do want to get some melded accessories as I'd only lose around 700 hp and gain 155 str just from the 150 stuff alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Late but they aren't equal on Ravana weapons if that's any indication. VIT is higher.
    I was just talking about accessories, but I guess that's an indicator that it might keep going back and forth (as odd as that is) since, at a glance, the same trend seems to apply to all other gear.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast