1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 8 hours, 26 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 15 hours, 33 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 4 days, 1 hours, 26 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 2 days, 8 hours, 33 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: Heavensward OST     submit to reddit submit to twitter submit to tumblr

  1. #1
    The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,711
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

    Heavensward OST

    If anyone manages to track down an OST, hook me the hell up!

  2. #2
    BG Content
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,275
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    The music is awesome, isn't it? I feel like there are a tad too many remixes of the main theme and "Dragonsong," but the music is very significantly better than the stuff Soken did for 2.0. Anyway, with the patch 2.X series soundtrack just coming out at the end of August, I'm guessing the Heavensward soundtrack won't be out until the holidays at the earliest.

  3. #3

    Not sure if you already got this from the DAT thread but there's https://mega.co.nz/#!PR0hETrQ!BtO3c4...Q3HoFRtr8Cm5g4 from:
    Quote Originally Posted by solracht View Post
    From xivpads: full OST, the other link was missing tracks. https://mega.co.nz/#!PR0hETrQ!BtO3c4...Q3HoFRtr8Cm5g4
    I have no idea if it's actually the entire OST and the track names are wack as fuck but this dude put the file names for most of them:
    Quote Originally Posted by logicallysynced View Post
    Sorted all the music track ID's with their reference names. Also uploaded a version of the tracks with everything named but can't post it here due to url restriction.

    ~1b865d34 - bgm_ex1_battle_abaracia_01
    ~2a5a728e - bgm_ex1_rest_sharean_night
    ~2b8cf4e6 - bgm_ex1_boss02
    ~3a51bcca - bgm_ex1_event_dragonwar
    ~3bf47cc3 - bgm_ex1_endcredit01
    ~3e783355 - bgm_ex1_event_dungeon_dravaniah_01
    ~4c303bff - bgm_ex1_field_dravaniah02
    ~4e376f05 - bgm_ex1_field_dravaniac02
    ~5e101ff1 - bgm_ex1_dungeon_kyoko_0
    ~6e92c659 - bgm_ex1_field_safe1
    ~8ad2a400 - bgm_ex1_event_strategy
    ~9c30cc40 - bgm_ex1_rest_matoya
    ~9fcc53ce - bgm_ex1_battle_dravaniac_01
    ~16bb13b3 - bgm_ex1_ban_bismark_01
    ~19b06521 - bgm_ex1_dungeon_kyoko_3
    ~24d04c91 - bgm_ex1_dungeon_kyoko_2
    ~44c7813c - bgm_ex1_ban_ravana_02
    ~46ec4162 - bgm_ex1_battle_dravaniah_01
    ~89eafbc1 - bgm_ex1_battle_dravanial_01
    ~358b0f22 - bgm_ex1_battle_ishsebu_01
    ~367fbec - bgm_ex1_ravana_01
    ~511b6963 - bgm_ex1_ban_bismark_02
    ~528cb921 - bgm_ex1_event_soten
    ~851f365c - bgm_ex1_field_dravanial03
    ~1462bcf7 - bgm_ex1_field_magicc02
    ~1809f6eb - bgm_ex1_field_abaracia02
    ~2569df5b - bgm_ex1_field_abaracia03
    ~2932bc89 - bgm_ex1_field_safe2
    ~4541efc0 - bgm_ex1_system_title
    ~5147de8f - bgm_ex1_dungeon_ishsebu_01
    ~12392bce - bgm_ex1_battle_magicc_01
    ~63122f03 - bgm_ex1_dungeon_dravaniac_01
    ~72389a35 - bgm_ex1_event_start
    ~81269e32 - bgm_ex1_event_moogle
    ~93342c8f - bgm_ex1_town_ish01_night
    ~735746b5 - bgm_ex1_field_dravaniac03
    ~7150124f - bgm_ex1_field_dravaniah03
    ~a3ce5533 - bgm_ex1_fate01
    ~a437ce90 - bgm_ex1_dungeon_abaracia_01
    ~ad64a8e - bgm_ex1_town_ish02_night
    ~af6e7fe5 - bgm_ex1_rest_sharean
    ~b87f1fec - bgm_ex1_field_dravanial02
    ~b237bf66 - bgm_ex1_dungeon_magicc_01
    ~ba323daf - bgm_ex1_dungeon_dravanial_01
    ~bb1b1164 - bgm_ex1_boss_01
    ~c1a746da - bgm_ex1_field_ishsebu02
    ~c9c8f0fa - bgm_ex1_event_ishdragonhead
    ~c17c42b6 - bgm_ex1_event_ishwar
    ~c4724153 - bgm_ex1_event_dragon
    ~d8cd53e8 - bgm_ex1_town_ish02_day
    ~e9f715b5 - bgm_ex1_opening_5.1
    ~e040c3fb - bgm_ex1_dungeon_kyoko
    ~e1406f2d - bgm_ex1_town_ish01_day
    ~f597c5b6 - bgm_ex1_dungeon_magicc_02
    ~fcc76f6a - bgm_ex1_field_ishsebu03
    Seems better than nothing.

  4. #4
    The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,711
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

    I did not, and that is waaaay better than nothing. Thank you very much!

    This is the best OST I've heard in some years. Its taking me back to XI where multiple songs across an entire album were memorable and instantly recognizable. 2.0 had a few good songs, but this goddamn OST blows it out of the water.

  5. #5
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    393
    BG Level
    4
    FFXIV Character
    Don Kamikaze
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    As someone who hated Soken's work I would have to say that he improved significantly. If only he relied less on arrangements and motifs, it got repetitive in 2.0 and it is starting to get repetitive now.

    Decent stuff so far.

  6. #6
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,281
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    All I need is that epic Disney villain theme from Ravana

  7. #7
    New Odin
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    8,611
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Quote Originally Posted by AoE View Post
    All I need is that epic Disney villain theme from Ravana
    Reminded me of something Klingon. Or a Soviet march.

    Awesome either way.

  8. #8

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    I did not, and that is waaaay better than nothing. Thank you very much!

    This is the best OST I've heard in some years. Its taking me back to XI where multiple songs across an entire album were memorable and instantly recognizable. 2.0 had a few good songs, but this goddamn OST blows it out of the water.
    No problem. Funny you should say that though, was listening to the tracks with a friend and we both commented that the music felt more like FFXI's somehow, though we couldn't say exactly why. Definitely feels like an improvement though.

    Really fond of the Sohm Al theme. Fractal Continuum and the Bismarck themes are pretty good too.

  9. #9
    The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,711
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

    Both Forelands field themes, Western Highlands... agh, there's just too many. Too many amazing tracks to name. I'm just in love.

  10. #10
    Smells like Onions
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1
    BG Level
    0

    No actual buy / support version yet?

  11. #11
    Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,111
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    They are preparing to release the retail soundtrack soon... for 2.2-2.5.

    Suffice it to say that the 3.0 soundtrack is a long, long way off. This is one area where XIV has been far, far worse than XI.

  12. #12
    The Real Cookiemonster
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,299
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

    That Matoya theme... I need a version that cuts off in a good way to put it on endless loop.

  13. #13
    RIDE ARMOR
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    19
    BG Level
    1
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    Thanks! That OST helped a lot! I found the Heavensward Trailer OST there without the sound effects, polished it up and got this

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_xL0EIA6mg

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,879
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries
    3

    have been listening to the music for quite a bit playing the game.. and also on the side with the rips..
    i have to say HWs OST is a marked improvement over ARR. It's thematically very consistent, and really does enhance the flavor of the game by having the music on rather than off.

    What i think are Soken's weaknesses.
    -he's not very good with the whole leitmotif thing. HW appears to have 3 recurring themes throughout - Heavensward (trailer opera girl), Dragonsong (Susan Calloway) and the Ishgard theme. All three are pretty great on their own, but the numerous arrangements of them really grate after a while. Leitmotifs taken from Dragonsong and Heavensward are pretty ok, because both songs are fairly long on their own. He seems to use the whole of Dragonsong in its arrangements, but for Heavensward he chops them up, and mainly uses the middle section without bothering to layer it in, which becomes repetitive very fast. The Ishgard theme however gets old very fast, because the original song itself is really variations of a 6 note progression.
    - some of the music loops are too short, or contain fewer musical blocks than would be needed to make it seem less repetitive. This is especially taking into consideration the fact that its MMO music and the same music can be playing again and again. The battle theme is one of the biggest offenders here i think.

    What i think Soken did right.
    - General area themes are usually good, because they're independent themes that are given enough length (4-5minutes) to develop and progress. This seems unlike ARR where zones are given different 1 minute motifs and they mix in between them. Altho Coerthas Western Highlands theme is based on the Heavensward theme, it stands on its own due to its strong melancholic vibe.
    - Variations of themes. Night themes for new zones provide a different profile of the zone. Nice touch. I also noticed that dungeons in an area also take after the area's theme, which is rather clever and familiarizes you to them immediately. Dungeon music is otherwise very forgettable.

    Hit or miss?
    - boss battle themes are either very good or rather meh, tho it would seem mostly good. I like that they brought back To The Fore for midbosses. dungeon boss music is pretty good. Primal ones are different.. the waltz thing for Ravana was a nice touch.. tho i'm not really fond of vocal accompaniment for the sake of it. Bismarck on the other hand... cant say much about it. Sounds like early millennium J-euro dance and trance..? I can imagine a lot of people will either like them or not.

    But the progression is good. if he keeps this up i expect the music will seriously improve in 3.1+

  15. #15
    BG Content
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,275
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    Maybe popped up on a different thread but relevant here anyway - Distant Worlds concert in Chicago on December 26 is premiering Dragonsong. Also, among other things, a "spectacular musical tribute" to FF7, whatever that means.

  16. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,879
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries
    3

    no surprise on the Dragonsong, seeing as it was sung by Susan Calloway, who has frequently sung for Uematsu at older Distant World performances. not the best place to discuss the FF7 tribute, but its probably gonna be good, as Distant Worlds renditions have always been.

  17. #17
    Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,085
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries
    60

  18. #18
    Melee Summoner
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    31
    BG Level
    1

    Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    have been listening to the music for quite a bit playing the game.. and also on the side with the rips..
    i have to say HWs OST is a marked improvement over ARR. It's thematically very consistent, and really does enhance the flavor of the game by having the music on rather than off.

    What i think are Soken's weaknesses.
    -he's not very good with the whole leitmotif thing. HW appears to have 3 recurring themes throughout - Heavensward (trailer opera girl), Dragonsong (Susan Calloway) and the Ishgard theme. All three are pretty great on their own, but the numerous arrangements of them really grate after a while. Leitmotifs taken from Dragonsong and Heavensward are pretty ok, because both songs are fairly long on their own. He seems to use the whole of Dragonsong in its arrangements, but for Heavensward he chops them up, and mainly uses the middle section without bothering to layer it in, which becomes repetitive very fast. The Ishgard theme however gets old very fast, because the original song itself is really variations of a 6 note progression.
    - some of the music loops are too short, or contain fewer musical blocks than would be needed to make it seem less repetitive. This is especially taking into consideration the fact that its MMO music and the same music can be playing again and again. The battle theme is one of the biggest offenders here i think.

    What i think Soken did right.
    - General area themes are usually good, because they're independent themes that are given enough length (4-5minutes) to develop and progress. This seems unlike ARR where zones are given different 1 minute motifs and they mix in between them. Altho Coerthas Western Highlands theme is based on the Heavensward theme, it stands on its own due to its strong melancholic vibe.
    - Variations of themes. Night themes for new zones provide a different profile of the zone. Nice touch. I also noticed that dungeons in an area also take after the area's theme, which is rather clever and familiarizes you to them immediately. Dungeon music is otherwise very forgettable.

    Hit or miss?
    - boss battle themes are either very good or rather meh, tho it would seem mostly good. I like that they brought back To The Fore for midbosses. dungeon boss music is pretty good. Primal ones are different.. the waltz thing for Ravana was a nice touch.. tho i'm not really fond of vocal accompaniment for the sake of it. Bismarck on the other hand... cant say much about it. Sounds like early millennium J-euro dance and trance..? I can imagine a lot of people will either like them or not.

    But the progression is good. if he keeps this up i expect the music will seriously improve in 3.1+
    I agree on a few songs being too short, but my perception was that while he focused on few different leitmotifs, they didn't bore me. Since the musical phrases are SO good, they further help give HW a strong identity. I guess we just perceived the opposite sides of the weighting scale here - I just feel like the musical messages as more of a "good" than the repetitiveness is "bad".

    I absolutely love Ravana's theme. The low-key singing is glorious and quite the surprise when taking into account previous themes. And about Bismarck's theme, I felt like it really did fit - the thing is that he is not a primal who can actually at least say he'll kill us, or discuss honor. Bismarck acts and feels like a "force of nature" itself, and the battle is like we're taking a wild animal to the zoo or something. The lack of lyrics this time around further empowers the glaring difference in behavior to Ravana, who presents himself as an eloquent adversary. I prefer Ravana's, but Bismarck is good nonetheless.

    On another note, I think ARR's OST is severely underrated around here - and a few complaints might not even be Soken's direct fault, for example the earlier dungeons and world regions having no loop and whatnot...

    He manages to bring a lot of good things to the table - his adaptations of phrases in Answers to the Coil themes is nothing short of amazing for building the atmosphere of the place. The love and care he shows for existing musical staples of the series is everywhere.

    As the patches go, one can notice how he probably received more freedom to do things as the patches went on. They pretty much inserted 1.0 tracks (specially repeating on more than a couple The Dark's Kiss/Embrace) for Legacy fanservice, but his own compositions for HMs on 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5 blow them out of the water as far as atmosphere go. I love the 1.0 tracks, it's the catchy classic Nobuo there, but they aren't meant to be Ctrl+C Ctrl+V'd around. Let Soken work, he's growing fast and is the one guy I trust the FF music along with Nobuo.

    And oh, the Azys Lla theme is absolutely breathtaking. The final phrases are seriously cry-inducing. Actually, a lot of tracks in HW are. They did a good story and a good soundtrack to go with.

  19. #19
    The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,711
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

    ^ My biggest issue is the 2.0 field battle theme vs. the 3.0 battle theme. There's just no comparison. At all. Having to hear that song for so long throughout so many jobs, having the 2.0 sound so all over the place and grating compared to 3.0's just puts me in a bad mood whenever I think about it.

  20. #20
    Smells like Onions
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3
    BG Level
    0

    does anyone have the Alexander OST that was mined from the game? Can't seem to find it anywhere.