1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 18 hours, 39 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 5 hours, 20 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 11 hours, 39 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 22 hours, 20 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Knight Discussion     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    I haven't really played DRK much at all (just FATE'd it to 32 when I was bored) but is there any reason a DRK should be dropping Darkside in dungeons?
    only in between packs. and also down phases in fights where the boss jumps and you can't hit anything. the regen rate is a lot higher with it off than on even when out of battle. eyeballing it you only need to tick once (i think) with it off to either break even or net MP compared to leaving it on and ticking twice. or something like that. and if it ticks twice with DS off then you're definitely getting more back

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    I hate when I see DRKs in fates with grit on and darkside off. Not tanking.

After and around 45 a DRK might experience MP management learning but otherwise Darkside should never be off.
    Well, on FATEs even I do this since if you turn up late to something like a boss all you want to do is build enmity. Doing Dark Arts Power Slashes will drain you quickly and then it's best to just spam Power Slash with Grit on than use Syphon Strike for less enmity anyway. You're after FATE credit, not any sort of optimization on the class/rotation.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Kiarax View Post
    Well, on FATEs even I do this since if you turn up late to something like a boss all you want to do is build enmity. Doing Dark Arts Power Slashes will drain you quickly and then it's best to just spam Power Slash with Grit on than use Syphon Strike for less enmity anyway. You're after FATE credit, not any sort of optimization on the class/rotation.
    To add to this, if you're fate grinding, especially in N thanalan with all of those fates that have a lot of mobs, its better to leave grit on and darkside off to spam unleash/unmend. Better rested mp recovery between pulls so you can spam more and move quickly between fates.

Single target fates though...yeah darkside should be full time.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

or just macro 123 cause they're fates lol

here

/ac Hard Slash <wait.3>
    /ac Spinning Slash <wait.3>
    /ac Power Slash <wait.3>
    /ac Hard Slash <wait.3>
    /ac Power Slash <wait.3>
    /ac Hard Slash <wait.3>
    /ac Power Slash <wait.3>
    /ac Hard Slash <wait.3>
    /ac Power Slash <wait.3

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

btw curious what other pld or war mains think so far about having switched to drk.

i really want to like drk but there just seems to be too much to do. i spam so much more than i ever did on any other job, let alone the old tank jobs. it's kind of tiresome actually lol

anyone else feel the same way? i think the skill cap is high to make it interesting enough to play but damned if i can't just chill out for a bit anymore on a tank job.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I don't really see a difference of skill cap between WAR and DRK, if not WAR having the higher skill cap. Its really just Dark Arts that sets them apart.

That said, as a PLD main I can't seem to get totally into DRK and its probably because PLD got new toys that makes it feel more complete. That said I do enjoy DRK's middle of the road approach.

Quote Originally Posted by kisada View Post
    btw curious what other pld or war mains think so far about having switched to drk.

i really want to like drk but there just seems to be too much to do. i spam so much more than i ever did on any other job, let alone the old tank jobs. it's kind of tiresome actually lol

anyone else feel the same way? i think the skill cap is high to make it interesting enough to play but damned if i can't just chill out for a bit anymore on a tank job.

Better than PLD in dungeons without a doubt, worse than war in terms of speed but provides safer pulls if you have a pug healer.

In a raid setting can't compete with PLD as a MT or WAR as an OT.

WAR brings Eye and Path and a lot of DPS
    PLD brings a lot of party mitigation and self mitigation and STR down.
    DRK brings int down and reprisal.

Since MNK applies int down, War has path, and PLD has STR down this will be the ideal composition

if for some reason the STR down bonus is not needed, nor is the extra party mitigation paladin can bring then DRK becomes viable. Or if the mob has a lot more magic damage and no heavy hitting physical moves.

Right now DRK can do a lot of potency with double dark arting but that'll most likely be patched so I don't think that's fair to compare.

There are situations you can create for DRK to be viable but it's not going to be in the "best" setup. If they gave DRK the option to apply the STR down bonus it'd be more viable. Although this depends on how the raiding content goes. It's basically in the same situation Astro is in since they cannot give the MND buff which makes SCH AST setups weaker innately.

DRK suffers from a significant TP issue because it has no real offensive CDs and it's main one is a skill speed CD without a way to replenish TP. They BADLY need a ninja for them to be viable. Not only for TP reasons but for the slashing debuff as well if there is no war.

edit: imo

OT Perspective: I think WARs skill cap is still higher because we have to be a lot more consciousness now where we're popping our buffs, pots, and etc rather than just using things on cooldown. Although this may change as new data becomes available.

MT Perspective: Knowing when to pop Inner Beast, executing it properly and saving stacks will always make it the higher skill cap rather than popping a cooldown that lasts long enough to carry in addition to a 20% reduction stance.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

So, people who've been playing at level 60 for a bit, what stat are you putting points into? I just got to 60 last night and have been full VIT since the start, but I'm not sure if it's really necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Morvant View Post
    So, people who've been playing at level 60 for a bit, what stat are you putting points into? I just got to 60 last night and have been full VIT since the start, but I'm not sure if it's really necessary.
    STR, always STR at least for the current content. I'm also full STR on the right side, I would advise having VIT accessories depending on what healer you get though and having a back up set for big pulls.

If your healer can't handle big pulls in VIT gear as well do small ones with STR. If your healers cant handle big ones while you're in STR acc but can handle while you're in VIT acc then do that and switch to STR for bosses.

For solo tanking Ravana EX I would put all in VIT including your attributes. If you're duo tank all points in STR and your accessories feel those out based on your healer. As an OT you should be fine in all STR as a MT I would probably do VIT accessories and STR bonus points. Have to find the medium as this is going to vary on your healer with you.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by LinktheDeme View Post
    For solo tanking Ravana EX I would put all in VIT including your attributes. If you're duo tank all points in STR and your accessories feel those out based on your healer. As an OT you should be fine in all STR as a MT I would probably do VIT accessories and STR bonus points. Have to find the medium as this is going to vary on your healer with you.
    Alright, thanks, this is pretty much what I was looking for. I played STR WAR for a while in 2.0, but now I'll be MTing as DRK due to a comp change. I'll go reallocate into strength and play around with it when I get back on.

Stat allocation means less and less the higher our lvl/ilvl goes, all 35 stat points are now worth less than a single accessory.

(yasha are +35 and asuran are +36, and they're at the low end of what we'll be wearing at this level cap)

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Stat allocation means less and less the higher our lvl/ilvl goes, all 35 stat points are now worth less than a single accessory.

(yasha are +35 and asuran are +36, and they're at the low end of what we'll be wearing at this level cap)
    Yep,
    In addition to that now VIT and STR are on the same playing field now. Before VIT for some reason was always higher than STR on accessories so to change out a STR accessory for a VIT one and shift your bonus points to STR gave you higher values if you needed extra HP for some reason.

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I'm still so incredibly salty about SE dropping the ball with Reprisal. It could've been so fucking good, but instead it just strengthened the value of Storm's Path from a Warrior, and locked it (WAR) into a slot for serious progression; that 100% uptime -10% damage dealt is too good to lose.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

After getting this to 50, I have to say what I love most coming from PLD is that you have a lot of buttons to push and Dark Arts is fast enough to use it and another oGCD usually and not clip into GCD time.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice View Post
    I'm still so incredibly salty about SE dropping the ball with Reprisal. It could've been so fucking good, but instead it just strengthened the value of Storm's Path from a Warrior, and locked it (WAR) into a slot for serious progression; that 100% uptime -10% damage dealt is too good to lose.

yeah, i just don't see how you can ever take drk over war if you are serious about pushing world/server first progression. i really hope they make adjustments to drk. i don't understand the design choice of reprisal at ALL.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    After getting this to 50, I have to say what I love most coming from PLD is that you have a lot of buttons to push and Dark Arts is fast enough to use it and another oGCD usually and not clip into GCD time.
    this is kind of what i was getting at in an earlier post. i was spamming shit so much my shoulder was hurting lol. drk is fun but using it everyday is just, meh, too much effort i guess? rather just play war or pld. it's super fun to use in pvp but for everyday shit i don't want to have to wreck my hands just to play to the max.

Quote Originally Posted by kisada View Post
    yeah, i just don't see how you can ever take drk over war if you are serious about pushing world/server first progression. i really hope they make adjustments to drk. i don't understand the design choice of reprisal at ALL.
    Because if they made both reprisal and SP 100% uptime PLD would be RIP.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

i dunno, the new pld abilities seem pretty beastly to me even if reprisal were 100% uptime. but even then, 100% UT isn't what i'd be asking for with a change. someone here mentioned it i think but simply changing it to a flat 30s cooldown would be a whole hell of a lot better, cause at least you can roll with drk as OT instead of always MT to generate utility.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

how do you guys deal with abyssal drain and unleash?

both share the same gcd and abyssal drain with darkside is strong, but is it even worth wasting the MP on it?

i understand that for AOEing, darkside + drain is better but then how do you deal with unleash? feel like reassigning unleash to some remote places on my hotbar haha (and bring it back for FATES)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

i only really use abyssal with the dark arts bug. otherwise i don't like it cause it fucks up my combos and i'm often in the middle of my syphon combo when my MP is tanking. at least with unleash you can do it anytime without breaking your combo.

also i don't use abyssal + DA by itself (no bug) unless there are so many mobs i will have full MP anyway or if i thought i'd be boned without it. but with enough blues you prob won't be feeling like you need the drain to survive anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast