1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 17 hours, 3 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 6 hours, 56 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 10 hours, 3 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 23 hours, 56 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Bardmage 3.0     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    The Cutest
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I've played and mained Bard for for bcob,scob then changing to NIN for fcob and now coming back to bard again for Alexander, and the WM altering the class in my opinion is that now it has a really high skill/macro-management cap to further excel than your other average bards. Compared to before anyway.

It was much simpler back then, just keep your dots up while not clipping too early and spam bloodletter/heavyshot + proc of SS. Now you have to plan a bit out of how one approaches depending on what proc'd (SS/bloodletter, but definitely changes what ogcd I"ll use vs repel/or if a buff is coming up), what cooldowns are coming up and so on, on top of the dodging, moving and mechanic participation. I'd say this job has gotten more difficult if one wanted to strive to be a "good" bard imo.

That being said the play style of bard has changed drastically, definitely true but, still not something that would "break" a job per se. I just move less frequently and the only part I've turned off WM due to movement requirement is A3 tornado phase (no time for dots and need to do damage faster for adds).

With that out of the way, I'd say bards are in a comfortable position as dps number goes, definitely shouldn't be the "highest" damage dealer, much different from its former style but, ultimately I'd say WM was a good buff (in damage perspective) that asks a lot of the player. (skill/planning)

Claustrum. Really?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaith Laqueus
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by chichicha View Post
    Re: Alex Floor 4
    Base on my bard exp, I found that max. 2 brd/mch, to get it done. Any run more than 2, to save your time - boss' move will wipe you for taking too long to kill.
    Sorry to inform you on this...
    I think this purely comes down to how competent your BRD/MCH is. My damage isn't really any different to other DPS in my static (BLM, SMN, DRG). If we took 4 BRD/MCH in doing the same damage as what I did, we'd have no issue. As people have said, BRD just got a lot more complicated so it's far more likely you'll come up against subpar BRDs (and presumably MCH) right now.

The WM style still isn't fun but I have got used to it now at least. I think right now I'd settle for a minor tweak like them letting us use oGCDs whilst casting. The only fight I dislike WM in is Rav Ex but stance dancing helps there. Alex was very generous in that you can basically fulltime WM without issue, I doubt savage will be the same.

Another unexpected downside of playing BRD then switching back to PLD. PLD feels so slow in comparison because of how frenetic BRD is now. I'm tempted to try another DPS job just to compare.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    With that out of the way, I'd say bards are in a comfortable position as dps number goes, definitely shouldn't be the "highest" damage dealer
    I still don't understand why BRD in WM should not be dealing damage equal to SMN.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    The Cutest
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

As far as SMN goes, I don't fully grasp their single target potential, but I do understand they're fairly strong(er) than other counterparts in the dps category. True that we be a dps class but we still have the role/utility to support. With that in mind, nearing the end of fcob bards were able to reach to very high numbers 470~500+(? not sure) nearing the end of progression/gear farm if I recall correctly. Always a tad behind melees, a good margin if the melee were truly a master of their class and execution (heavy emphasis on execution). And at this time, summoner were suffering heavily from what I believe to the mana regen deficiency to carry on their max potential as fights dragged on.

So, summoners were buffed, quite strongly at that, to an extent that they may be the best dps as of now due to the simply mechanics laid out for us in alexander (maybe not for a3, but that might change come savage). It's multiple mobs galore, and you don't need me to spell out what bane with foes does. I mean I can't imagine anyone catching up to that extent of enhanced dmg and advantage plus mobility... now whereas in single target, again I can't say for sure however, I believe the bahamut trance and tri-disaster with all the other enhancements to their role, they're just simply a stronger job as a pure dps overall.

Bards are in difficult spot to achieve high numbers but even so I still remain competitive against other dps simply due to the nature of certain fights so, it's not like we're just being shafted because we can't simple dish out as much dps than other jobs in a dummy parse, we are still a strong asset as a dps and as a support.

To address on the WM being, or should be equaling to dmg of smn. I'd say it'd be simply too strong, SE just needs to find a balance of how to increase our dmg by different means than simply increasing potency. I can tell you now that, if we were to be able to cast double ogcd between gcd casts while in WM, we would be higher up in numbers, any higher potency would already skew things out of balance making bards too strong for its role so, I assume we'll see if they have any further plans for adjustments.

or just give auto attack during WM with normal potency idk lol. Still sucks that warrior is so easy and can dish out a very respectable number for what is supposed to be its role.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

You misunderstand; I am asking what the philosophical argument is for making WM BRD deal less damage than SMN or any other caster.

MNK, NIN, DRG, and WAR can all increase damage dealt, just like BRD. Multiple other jobs also have silence. Yes, BRD can restore MP/TP, but they have to take a direct damage penalty to do so. So why would WM BRD be "too strong" if it dealt caster damage?

@ Jem,
    You can try Ninja

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neon Sea
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

WM Bard does similar damage to st SMN doesn't it? SMN single target is on the low end.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    The Cutest
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

@ dan
    I suppose that would ultimately end up on the what a individual perceives how much a bard should do. Though you heavily suggest SMN as contender to your question. in that retrospect then, the answer would be "I don't know". As far as I recall SMN and all other "pure" dps were ahead of bard, and I believe the reasoning WM being not as a strong buff to reach, or even go beyond the numbers of said classes is, and I believe, to be a catch up tool to its spot on the range of where its dps standing was. (in reference to scob/bcob)

I've read and heard of echoing of some reasoning that OF/reddit cried out as WM simply putting bard to where it's supposed to be, being below the "pure" dps classes. Which I think is a bit of stretch but may have been the goal of SE? who knows.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Yoshida straight up said bard/mch shouldn't do the same amount of damage as other dps.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Neon_Sea View Post
    WM Bard does similar damage to st SMN doesn't it? SMN single target is on the low end.
    this kind of statement and ppl who don't even play brd at all but "saw someone else play it in a dungeon" are the worst things about trying to explain why BRD is shit atm. SMNs and everyone else can do a good 1200dps atm, SMNs are killing BRDs on single target and it's not even funny at AoE. My SMN was a good 10 ilvls lower then my BRD when it was outparsing it easily AND being perfectly mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by emmgee View Post
    Yoshida straight up said bard/mch shouldn't do the same amount of damage as other dps.
    because they are under the impression that their "support", closes the gap. It does not close a 300 dps gap. People are going to really start crying when they have to deal with more mechanics because BRDs can't do it on their own anymore as well.

Claustrum. Really?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaith Laqueus
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Is that 1200 on a dummy or 1200 in actual fights? I thought I was doing well doing ~900 in Alex on BRD with a good/clean fight (~750-800 on a bad fight). I have upgrades to come as I've been lazy (I'm still like i172 or something) but I don't see a substantial boost from that.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Some smns are hitting 12-1400 dps in fights (1400 on a1, a little inflation with dots on 2 mobs and painflare but not much since it was like a 3m fight and everyone rekt it) I have seen our nin and smn hit 1-1.k on every alex floor and we are barely trying (idk if anyone even eats food but me).

The best dummy parse I have done on brd is 1.1k and that's with food/pots/party/drg and not moving a single inch. BRD is well below other jobs and works twice as hard now.

Claustrum. Really?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaith Laqueus
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yeah I suppose I could find some DPS if I bothered to use pots and food, just haven't seen the point with how faceroll everything is right now. I really can't see me consistently breaking 1k in any sort of practical scenario though (outside of being able to abuse multi-DOTing / AoE's anyway).

I didn't realise that other DPS were that far ahead though (850-1050 is what I've been seeing)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neon Sea
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Little inflation? Do you play smn at all? ANyway I mean single target like I said. No Smn is doing 1200 or 1400. On a dummy 1k is probably what to expect(which i can not get for 4 min but im sure a good one can). I get 950 single target 182(no rav book yet), not a perfect rotation just keeping stuff up and using things as they come.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Neon_Sea View Post
    Little inflation? Do you play smn at all? ANyway I mean single target like I said. No Smn is doing 1200 or 1400. On a dummy 1k is probably what to expect(which i can not get for 4 min but im sure a good one can). I get 950 single target 182(no rav book yet), not a perfect rotation just keeping stuff up and using things as they come.
    i do 1200 on dummy on smn

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neon Sea
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

lol how, ruin 3 spam til oom?

Theory Fighter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Frejan Schultz
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I'd like to know, too. In around 4 minutes, with no ravana book but good otherwise, I get about 900 DPS or so. I'm not using RIII outside of DT and no food/pots/party buff, but still, I don't understand how 1200 is possible. Also, 6 seconds to auto-end the encounter in ACT, if that's relevant (not much in 4 minutes).

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Taruto Shippuden
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

It's easily acheivable at i175-180 with pt+buffs if you do a 3-3.5 minute parse.

At i183 I was sustaining 1150~ 3minute solo without consumables, fucking around on a dummy.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Taruto Shippuden
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

holy doubles

Theory Fighter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Frejan Schultz
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

With or without autoattacks? Lately I'm parsing myself without because many fights don't really allow them on SMN, so I don't want to get a wrong impression on the dummy. It's been a while since I last parsed myself, but, honestly, I don't think I could be consistently over 1k DPS on a sustained parse even with the use of autoattacks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast