1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 7 hours, 0 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 16 hours, 59 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 9 hours, 59 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Bardmage 3.0     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Online Dating DOES Work!!
    Sonic Ripoff of the Houe of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hiryo Randgris
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    I don't know why you don't just slot Sidewinder in after the next heavy, rather than before.
    That's why I need expert opinion. I don't know if anyone has a spreadsheet with B4B+Raging+IR mapped out but using Sidewinder 3-4 seconds later may cause it to not line up in the next buff activation!

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Ahh, I only unlocked Sidewinder last night and haven't used it in any serious situation, so I didn't really think any of it through.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Out of curiosity, what are the BRDs in this thread parsing on dummies without food/dex pots/pt buffs?

Claustrum. Really?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaith Laqueus
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Been a while since I parsed but about 950 for me completely solo/unbuffed. Although my BRD is still i180 gear rather than i190. That's also not putting down Flaming Circle or using Repelling as I find it hard to reliably do so in WM mode so omit it when dummy parsing (Flaming Circle I can do, just not on constant CD)

EDIT: Just tested, wasn't the cleanest of parses but came out at 957 by the time I was TP dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Been a while since I parsed but about 950 for me completely solo/unbuffed. Although my BRD is still i180 gear rather than i190. That's also not putting down Flaming Circle or using Repelling as I find it hard to reliably do so in WM mode so omit it when dummy parsing (Flaming Circle I can do, just not on constant CD)

EDIT: Just tested, wasn't the cleanest of parses but came out at 957 by the time I was TP dead.
    You did this with just i180 weapon? That's impressive. How long does it take you to clean all your TP under WM?

Claustrum. Really?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaith Laqueus
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

i190 weapon as that isn't time gated.

From my lodestone it looks like I have more 190 than I thought (Feet, Waist, 2 Accs), I honestly thought it was less than that as I've been prioing PLD for gear. I guess using melded accessories on PLD freed up more Alex drops than I realized.

Took about 5 mins to run TP dead although I was lazy and didn't invigorate as I was relying on the parse steadying out (which it did). In real fights I've never run TP dead on BRD since they gave us WM though.

I think someone who plays BRD regularly would do better than what I did though. The only thing I use BRD for is PVP and I don't use WM in there.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

A while back I saw a guy who was trying to show via math that it was always smartest to immediately refresh DoTs right after you pop Raging (and maybe B4B), even if you just put them up, because then you'd get two full cycles of DoTs from each buff period.

I've been trying to Google this for the last half hour and I'm striking out. Does anyone else remember seeing that or have any idea where I might find this info?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Soho View Post
    A while back I saw a guy who was trying to show via math that it was always smartest to immediately refresh DoTs right after you pop Raging (and maybe B4B), even if you just put them up, because then you'd get two full cycles of DoTs from each buff period.

I've been trying to Google this for the last half hour and I'm striking out. Does anyone else remember seeing that or have any idea where I might find this info?
    It'd be hard to show, since a proper comparison would need to compare the control, vs that, vs holding the buffs a few seconds to line up with the normal dot rotation. And of course, you'd need to factor in TP starvation which means each fight could potentially be different. (TP starvation being the reason why holding buffs is even a consideration in the first place.)

If refreshing your DoTs with the buff offers more than a 50 potency gain then it's worth it, really not that complicated.

50 potency is the difference between Iron Jaws and Heavy Shot, that's the only thing you'd need to overcome.

Venom+Wind is 80 potency/tic, if you want to using Raging and as an example that's an extra 16 potency/tic.

3 tics you've gained 48 potency, 4 tics make 64, so yes it's worth it to immediately refresh DoTs when using it then use it again before it wears, as Raging lasts long enough that you can re-apply DoTs after the 5th tic.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Soho View Post

It was this thread. Super interesting read.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by ebil View Post
    It was this thread. Super interesting read.
    Thank you kind sir!

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Damien Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

As someone who played a summoner since beta I was tired of cast bars. Switched over and leveled a bard to 60 and then bam; we get a casting stance. Wasn't a fan of WM at first but I am used to it; but still not a fan of my bard being a caster. I keep hoping Square will do away with it but I am not holding my breath.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by DamienSG View Post
    As someone who played a summoner since beta I was tired of cast bars. Switched over and leveled a bard to 60 and then bam; we get a casting stance. Wasn't a fan of WM at first but I am used to it; but still not a fan of my bard being a caster. I keep hoping Square will do away with it but I am not holding my breath.
    At this point, the vast majority of bards are used to WM cast bars, and it fits quite well in with the balance of the other DPS Jobs, so I doubt we'll see it get removed. I find that I'm pretty frequently out dpsing Melees and Casters in PUG Groups for Thordan EX, but that may just be because my server has less-than-good Melee DPS and Casters.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

random question from a new bard:

When do I start using my songs more? Right now I'm level 46 and I almost never have a reason to use Paeon. Ballad very rarely; only when the healer and/or tank is getting low in MP during a boss fight. Should I be using Requiem, maybe if we have a BLM on the team? And is there a point where proper use of songs becomes a lot more important? Because right now BRD feels like a DD with songs tacked on (which I gather is normal for now) and I wonder if that changes down the road. It's definitely not like it was in FFXI where BRD was the king of buffs...

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

As a BLM, use Foe's + BV when your BLM uses his cooldown rotation. If you have mana to do some in between, do it when he has Ley Lines up.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sukimin Yakumo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    random question from a new bard:

When do I start using my songs more? Right now I'm level 46 and I almost never have a reason to use Paeon. Ballad very rarely; only when the healer and/or tank is getting low in MP during a boss fight. Should I be using Requiem, maybe if we have a BLM on the team? And is there a point where proper use of songs becomes a lot more important? Because right now BRD feels like a DD with songs tacked on (which I gather is normal for now) and I wonder if that changes down the road. It's definitely not like it was in FFXI where BRD was the king of buffs...
    If you have a dungeon and your healer is DPSing, use requiem as well. Might as well buff their damage and MPs not doing anything unused.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Just don't sing in Palace of the dead if you aren't keeping an eye on surrounding targets. First pull lvl 46 brd runs in, sings foes, we have 10 mobs, quick and fast pt wipe.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

As a SMN (and former bard)
    if you have a DPSing healer, or a SMN or BLM (or all of them for that matter), Foe is your, and their friend most of the time outside of the palace (as Shaano pointed out, in the palace you're more likely to cause a wipe than a win on the normal floors)

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

good to know guys, thanks. sounds like Foe's if elemental magic damage, Ballad as required, and Paeon only if for some reason TP really becomes an issue (which seems rare to me).

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

why does everybody hate us

I feel like BRD is the lolDRG of FFXIV, the irony of which - given BRD's reputation in XI - is not lost on me :/