1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 12 hours, 38 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 11 hours, 21 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 5 hours, 38 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 4 hours, 21 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    I like to eat food
    BG Level

Rogue/Ninja 3.0 Discussion

The other thread was locked since the update.

I've recently returned and wanted to try out ROG/NIN, especially since my only job at 50 was SCH and I am not confident in my healing abilities after returning. I had a few questions that I tried to scan the last thread for, but didn't see the answers in there that I could find.

1. I've noticed a lot of people using Fuma rather than Raiton in streams and such. Is this because of a magical resistance that 50+ mobs have? Raiton has 120 more potency, and unless you have terrible latency issues, I would think that the extra .5 sec to cast Raiton for 120 more potency would win out. I'm guessing there is something I'm missing.

2. I didn't find a straight rotation idea from the last thread unless I'm crazy or it was on page 2 or 3 (because I read all the others). From what I can gather it'd be:
    Pre-load Huton > Dancing Edge Combo > Shadow Fang Combo > Mutilate > Suiton/TA (unless it's up sooner) > ????.
    After Suiton it seems like basically all of your buffs are going to start wearing. I would guess Armor Crush would be a good idea if you have time to complete it before Huton wears off. I would guess squeeze in an Aeolian Edge combo and then follow up with DE > SF > Mutilate, etc?

3. Is there any real way for me to tell when I should be using Goad? I usually just throw it out at about 25% of Boss HP depending on how quickly it's moving and then again when it's up again. I think they said something about adding TP bars in a future update?

4. Is Doton pretty much just for fodder? Don't see anyone using it really other than a trash pull here and there.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Terrestrial Rage
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

1. Should be Raiton unless your lag is THAT bad, which would make playing NIN difficult anyways.

2. There are some nasty openers out there if you can find em. I was never able to get ahold of one, but a friend of mine had an 870 DPS opener back at level 50 cap, can only imagine what it is now.
    2a. Huton should never drop ever during an extended fight now. Armor Crush is fantastic, its essentially 80 potency (Armor Crush x2) loss off Aoelian Edges to get an extra 360 potency every minute from the Raitons that now take the place of the Hutons. HOPEFULLY you have a WAR to keep SP up so you dont have to DE, but SF should always be up, and Mutilate has to last at least 24 seconds for it to be worth it.

3. In dungeons/alex i dont use it, its whatever. Back in Final Coil, I generally gave it out in this order: Someone who just died -> Someone who asked me for it -> MNK when my TP got to 600 after the first invigorate. If a tank asked me for it cuz they were burning through TP or whatever, sure.

4. Doton does 240 potency over its 24 second life span. Katon does 160 AOE immediately. If youre gonna put down Doton, it has to be immediately after mobs are pulled cuz its just wasted if it doesnt last the full duration. Raiton is better against bosses, Katon is better against groups that are <80% health. Its generally not very good.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sigmakan Kaph
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

3.) DRKs have terrible TP management currently. They run out of TP in 3mins while in tank stance, and 2:20mins when not in tank stance. Goad would be incredibly useful for them

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

1) Some people choose to do Fuma because it's easier (either due to lag, or refusal to memorize the combo), and the potency difference is less than you might expect. NIN Wasp/Viper damage buffs only buff physical damage, so that means Fuma becomes (240*1.2)=288 while Raiton stays at 360. With the Slashing debuff (Dancing Edge or Storm's Eye), Fuma becomes 317ish. Still a gap between Fuma and Raiton, but if hitting two mudras causes you to clip into your next GCD, you're better off throwing a Fuma. I think Fuma has longer range too, but that's rarely a factor in the decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrestrialrage View Post
    3. In dungeons/alex i dont use it, its whatever.
    That makes me sad. Any TP-using job spamming AOEs (BRD/WAR come to mind) would really like your Goad during AOE pulls in dungeons.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

2a. Huton should never drop ever during an extended fight now. Armor Crush is fantastic, its essentially 80 potency (Armor Crush x2) loss off Aoelian Edges to get an extra 360 potency every minute from the Raitons that now take the place of the Hutons. HOPEFULLY you have a WAR to keep SP up so you dont have to DE, but SF should always be up, and Mutilate has to last at least 24 seconds for it to be worth it.
    So skip AE all together in favor of Armor Crush? Seems to make sense if you're not able to keep Huton up full time while also using AE.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmakan View Post
    3.) DRKs have terrible TP management currently. They run out of TP in 3mins while in tank stance, and 2:20mins when not in tank stance. Goad would be incredibly useful for them
    I've only actually had 1 DRK tank (only returned a week ago), but I'll keep it in mind. I think for all the dungeons I've run there's likely very little TP issue considering I'm only at 30 atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    1) Some people choose to do Fuma because it's easier (either due to lag, or refusal to memorize the combo), and the potency difference is less than you might expect. NIN Wasp/Viper damage buffs only buff physical damage, so that means Fuma becomes (240*1.2)=288 while Raiton stays at 360. With the Slashing debuff (Dancing Edge or Storm's Eye), Fuma becomes 317ish. Still a gap between Fuma and Raiton, but if hitting two mudras causes you to clip into your next GCD, you're better off throwing a Fuma. I think Fuma has longer range too, but that's rarely a factor in the decision.
    That makes sense then. It does have 10y more range as well, so it's not bad to throw out if you're also avoiding an attack when Ninjutsu comes back up.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Terrestrial Rage
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

No no, dont skip AE, just replace any AE that you WOULD do when ur Huton is below 40 seconds remaining with AC. You'll still occassionally use AE, even if you're keeping up DE. Youll definitely use it if you have a WAR using SP.

Definitely need to get maximum value out of AC for it to be useful.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

No no, dont skip AE, just replace any AE that you WOULD do when ur Huton is below 40 seconds remaining with AC. You'll still occassionally use AE, even if you're keeping up DE. Youll definitely use it if you have a WAR using SP.

Definitely need to get maximum value out of AC for it to be useful.
    I'm crazy. For some reason I thought Huton was a 20s buff, not 70s to start. I don't even know how I figured that.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

personally this is the opener that I use, since I play with a war:

Pre huton, Shadewalker -> Suiton > Shadowfang combo (to give war time to put debuff) > spinning edge (B4B) > gust slash (IR+pot) > trick attack > duality AE > (kassatsu) raiton > DWD+jug > mutilate+mug > Shadowfang combo + goad the DRK

It's a lot of fucking buttons to press in a short period of time, but it is what it is. Can omit shadewalker/goad obv.

Duration on Huton:

30s+ -> use AE
    less than 30s -> maybe use AC
    less than 20s -> use AC
    less than 10s -> seriously use AC already, if anything interrupts your combo at this point you're boned

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Karina Silverstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quick question that might be stupid regarding Duality. I just got it, and it was suggested to me to just use it with AE only, but it seems like that might be a total DPS loss when compared to just using it on CD with a combo finisher (DE, AC, AE) over an extended fight. I'm not sure, since using it with AC is a 80 potency loss and using it with DE would be a 120 potency loss, which is pretty huge. But that said, if it comes up at for example, a point where I have to refresh DE, Huton, and Shadow Fang (admittedly with smart comboing this situation doesn't come up often, but sometimes it will if a fight has a lot of target swapping/moving or breaks), it'd be sitting there ready for like 15 seconds. I guess it's just a judgement call depending on how long I'd be sitting on it? Or is it always going to be better to save it for AE, provided there's nothing weird going on?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Terrestrial Rage
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Over the course of a 10 min, 30 second fight, if you pop Duality every 90 seconds, for arguments sake lets say you use it on AC every time, that would be 7 uses @ 280x2 potency for 3920 total potency. Over the same fight, if you waited 15 seconds and used it only on AE, thatd be 6 uses @ 320x2 potency for 3840. Now i assume it will fall in line relatively close to an AE every now and then, so id go with "just use it when its up"

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    The other thread was locked since the update.

I've recently returned and wanted to try out ROG/NIN, especially since my only job at 50 was SCH and I am not confident in my healing abilities after returning. I had a few questions that I tried to scan the last thread for, but didn't see the answers in there that I could find.

1. I've noticed a lot of people using Fuma rather than Raiton in streams and such. Is this because of a magical resistance that 50+ mobs have? Raiton has 120 more potency, and unless you have terrible latency issues, I would think that the extra .5 sec to cast Raiton for 120 more potency would win out. I'm guessing there is something I'm missing.

2. I didn't find a straight rotation idea from the last thread unless I'm crazy or it was on page 2 or 3 (because I read all the others). From what I can gather it'd be:
    Pre-load Huton > Dancing Edge Combo > Shadow Fang Combo > Mutilate > Suiton/TA (unless it's up sooner) > ????.
    After Suiton it seems like basically all of your buffs are going to start wearing. I would guess Armor Crush would be a good idea if you have time to complete it before Huton wears off. I would guess squeeze in an Aeolian Edge combo and then follow up with DE > SF > Mutilate, etc?

3. Is there any real way for me to tell when I should be using Goad? I usually just throw it out at about 25% of Boss HP depending on how quickly it's moving and then again when it's up again. I think they said something about adding TP bars in a future update?

4. Is Doton pretty much just for fodder? Don't see anyone using it really other than a trash pull here and there.
    1.) Raiton should always be your dedault for single target attack if Trick Attack is down.

2.) I use more of a priority system than a rotation. I keep Dancing Edge/Mutilate/Shadow Fang/Huton up as much as I can. If one one of them is about to wear off, it comes first, if I have a moment where all 4 are at a good duration I'll try to squeeze in an Aeolian Edge. But all 4 of those come before AE. (Unless the mob is about to die.)

3.) I usually only use when someone asks for it, no way to know otherwise.

4.) I usually only pop it at the start of a pull with 4+ mobs, otherwise I don't bother.

This is just my general perspective, but I've only had NIN at 60 for about a week. So I still have a a lot to learn. A couple of things that are annoying me is I can't get into the habit of using Shukuchi. ><; It's an amazing ability. But in the heat of the moment I always instictively run to were I need to go instead of using it. I really need to force myself to use it more often.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

There's a plugin for ACT that will show you part member TP. Not sure if it's still working or not haven't tried to use it in weeks.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Re: Openers

If the target will be alive and taking damage for more than 30 seconds, Mutilate should be the first thing you put up, followed by Shadow Fang. More than 20 seconds and less than 30, start with Shadow Fang.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1908513094

"Here’s what’s funny about the priority chain and the first base rotation of AC > DE > SF > MU > AE above: It has the highest opening potency if there are no other Warriors or Ninjas, but only if the target is alive for a short amount of time. If the target will be alive for longer than 20 seconds, opening with SF delivers more damage.Longer than 30 seconds and MU delivers more damage.

<...>

The priority chain is designed with both your own DPS and other group member’s DPS in mind. If a target will be alive for longer than 30 seconds, your Ninja will put out the most damage opening with MU -> SF, compared to DE -> SF and SF -> MU. The values may differ as your GCD decreases, yet within a small tolerance MU -> SF still places higher. If a target will be alive for longer than 20 seconds, then SF > MU is better than MU > SF."

Beside DEX, what's the next priority stat we shall be trying to max?
    Skill Speed? Or Crits?

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

probably crit>det

skillspeed is pretty awful on nin, you'll start clipping your dots

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Zzsark View Post
    There's a plugin for ACT that will show you part member TP. Not sure if it's still working or not haven't tried to use it in weeks.
    Still works, there was an update a week or 2 ago I think so might want to hit the check button on the plugin settings tab.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by cthalupa View Post
    Re: Openers

If the target will be alive and taking damage for more than 30 seconds, Mutilate should be the first thing you put up, followed by Shadow Fang. More than 20 seconds and less than 30, start with Shadow Fang.
    Muti>Fang>DE is the best opening in vacuum, for sure. But something many of these spreadsheets don't cover is that in a real raid, NIN is not the only source of slashing damage. They also don't add in autoattacks, as far as I can see. NIN holds a surprisingly important position of being able to get DE up faster than 3 tank GCDs, which means opening with it allows both tanks to immediately hit with boosted 3rd combo hits.

If I'm remembering correctly, the sheet said something like a 59 potency difference between vacuum DE opening vs muti>Fang opening. So long as your autos and tank was and autos provide more than 590 base potency, you've got a net gain, which I think is a safe bet. It's an extremely small hit to personal DPS (and therefore e-peen) for a somewhat small gain in overall raid DPS.

If there's a WAR he's opening with Storm's Eye regardless (people still don't get that Block is only for when you know there's no chance of Maim/Eye falling, it's not the default WAR combo by any means).

NINs doesn't help WAR's DPS, they do Eye anyway, WAR helps the NIN.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

I always have our group WAR pick up Eye after my first application. It lets them get Path up immediately, and it gives me better spacing to start my opening properly. B4B and IR before DE, suiton kassatsu TA fang, raiton mutilate, dream duality AE.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast