1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 8 hours, 37 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 15 hours, 22 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 1 hours, 37 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 8 hours, 22 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Patch 3.05 Notes     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan
    I think YoshiP lost his "pass" when 3.0 grindnotes started to roll out. But its not only crafting and gathering, its savage also. He made super-easy-faceroll mode and now 2% savage mode. There is no longer that middle ground that the 35% of the population enjoyed.. if it was even 35% of the population that cleared coil when it was relevant. He may say Normal mode is meant for everyone, but its not fun for those who want the middle ground challenge that previously existed so its isolated more players than its appeased.
    The first two Savage Alexander turns feel like they're aimed at the normal Coil crowd, not the Savage Coil one. In addition to that they'll be pretty irrelevant in three weeks when every group gets 8 welfare weapons in one lockout, because their difficulty doesn't really come from the mechanics. I can't speak for the final two, so I won't.

I don't know why you have such strong opinions on something you clearly don't know anything about.

I'm fine with crafting and gathering being a grind I'm just one of those weird people that enjoy it. What I have problem with is that it leads nowhere. I remember few times in 2.0 where people actually bought crafted and melded gear was desired for coil progression. This time around we don't even get that. Materia system was fine in 1.23 when you could meld w/e the fuck you wanted on your gear and create pieces that had best stats but the possibility of making some of them was insanely low.

The Syrup To Waffles's Waffle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Better be careful with your praise or they'll bring back the losing the gear, too.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I'll admit, it is pretty funny how Yoshida gets praise for stuff people literally wanted to fly to japan to shoot Tanaka and Matsui for.

"But Yoshida relaunched FFXIV and saved it, he deserves praise even if he messes up a few times blah blah"

Well..Tanaka and Matsui were responsible for quite a lot of good in not just XI, but most of Square's titles..they never got a pass

Seriously though, 3.1 is really when we SHOULD see if they have anything good planned for this expansion, because 3.0 was designed during...I think he said 2.3? So it does make sense that 3.0 is just 2.0 with flying.

Oh and slight formula change to weigh skill/spell speed more.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Time to quit and make our own perfect mmo where everything is perfect and nothing is wrong and everyone will love it, we'll call it Fantasy of the Perfect Finale 7, Warding Heavens.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level

XI had forms of lock out as well.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    Time to quit and make our own perfect mmo where everything is perfect and nothing is wrong and everyone will love it, we'll call it Fantasy of the Perfect Finale 7, Warding Heavens.
    Or we could rightly criticize missteps with the hope that the dev team gets the message. But hyperbole is good too.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos View Post
    Or we could rightly criticize missteps with the hope that the dev team gets the message. But hyperbole is good too.
    Missteps to you are not missteps to everyone. One could imagine if they addressed everyone's "missteps". All those OF wishes, granted. The horror.

But yes, there's always hope they'll address your specific ones.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

That goes without saying. However the pointless nature of crafting/DoL will be addressed because as it stands, it's a road to nowhere.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I don't see how you can say that its going to be addressed with any form of certainty, but I don't care enough to press on it. Time will tell, as it always does.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    I don't see how you can say that its going to be addressed with any form of certainty, but I don't care enough to press on it. Time will tell, as it always does.
    So a mindless grind with tons of walling/stalling towards no real goal won't be addressed in a game that lowers it's gating mechanisms with each passing patch? It's clear as day that DoH/L grinds are essentially just a stalling mechanism until 3.1 does something.

It's the one certainty of a vertical ladder. The grind will ease with time. Crafting will again become useful. The question is *when*.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fryte Avarise
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Wait, crafting is or has ever been useful? I don't think that's the right word to use.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Melded accessories, Food, Glamour, Housing, Spirit bonding, Bardings, Minions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ totally useless if you don't use any of those, I don't think I would want to play with someone who doesn't use food, or melded accessories.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos View Post
    So a mindless grind with tons of walling/stalling towards no real goal won't be addressed in a game that lowers it's gating mechanisms with each passing patch? It's clear as day that DoH/L grinds are essentially just a stalling mechanism until 3.1 does something.

It's the one certainty of a vertical ladder. The grind will ease with time. Crafting will again become useful. The question is *when*.
    You've said so much, and yet you've said nothing at all, really. No real goal is subjective: its your opinion. Others may not share it. SE certainly may not share it. If they don't share it, you won't see whatever addressing you're looking for.

I'm not sure what you're even looking for. I know what you don't like, but I dont know what you actually want. I -think- I know what you want, but I'd rather not speculate when you could just say it instead of himming and hawing about what SE isn't doing and how you're going to take your wallet elsewhere without actually doing.

Pardon me if I seem a bit curt, I just hear all of this so wearily often nowadays.

Reading these Yoshi = Tanaka posts are fucking hilarious. It's amazing what people will say when they're annoyed.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

He continues to deserve tremendous credit for what he did with the 1.0 takeover > ending > 2.0 launch.

He also deserves criticism for 3.0's complete similarity to 2.0 (after saying they would "take more risks"), lack of variety with regards to raids, lack flexibility in events/# of people you can take to events, lack of reasons for FCs to exist, and the idiotic content of the most recent live letter where the questions were so ridiculously chosen it might have been better to not have a live letter at all.

Both of these things can be true at the same time.

Yoshi isn't Tanaka. Both have their strengths, Tanaka was unwilling to make changes to XI for years though, and I think we might be starting to see Yoshi's weakness now, nearly 2 years after 2.0 launch. There is no growth in the game. 2.0/2.1/2.2/2.3/2.4/2.5/3.0 are the same game. 2-3 dungeons for tomes, 1 end game raid/event that is current, crafting limited to minions/furniture/glamour.

I'm beginning to believe that is the game we will always be playing. The patch number will change, and so will the gear look and the name of the dungeons, but congrats, that's the game.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

One thing that annoys me is how similar they are forcing their job classes to be. I mean, BRD was honestly the only real unique job. You have your 4 generic classes now: Tank - Healer - Melee DPS - Caster DPS. And when you actually sit down and think about it. All the classes in the game don't really deviate much in playstyle once you put them in one of those 4 categories. Oh sure, each job has it's own abilities which go together in different combinations. And right now some of those combinations flow better than others. But, right now it's just like see'ing 4 little army regimes marching in unison.

Which...... is probably just what Yoshi wants. I mean, he did really well and revamping 1.0 into 2.0, but in the end him and Tanaka probably still want the same end goal. BARANCE

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Idk man SMN and BLM play pretty damn differently, as does SCH and WHM. There is differentiation. BRD and MCH are pretty similar though and that's a shame.

If you're only looking at similarities then that's all you'll see.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    San Solara
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    Well..Tanaka and Matsui were responsible for quite a lot of good in not just XI, but most of Square's titles..they never got a pass
    Matsui is based, and I will never understand why people insist on shitting on him aside from nostalgia bitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    He continues to deserve tremendous credit for what he did with the 1.0 takeover > ending > 2.0 launch.

He also deserves criticism for 3.0's complete similarity to 2.0 (after saying they would "take more risks"), lack of variety with regards to raids, lack flexibility in events/# of people you can take to events, lack of reasons for FCs to exist, and the idiotic content of the most recent live letter where the questions were so ridiculously chosen it might have been better to not have a live letter at all.

Both of these things can be true at the same time.

Yoshi isn't Tanaka. Both have their strengths, Tanaka was unwilling to make changes to XI for years though, and I think we might be starting to see Yoshi's weakness now, nearly 2 years after 2.0 launch. There is no growth in the game. 2.0/2.1/2.2/2.3/2.4/2.5/3.0 are the same game. 2-3 dungeons for tomes, 1 end game raid/event that is current, crafting limited to minions/furniture/glamour.

I'm beginning to believe that is the game we will always be playing. The patch number will change, and so will the gear look and the name of the dungeons, but congrats, that's the game.
    Somewhat, but you also have to take into account shareholders and upper management. Even if Yoshi did want to change things, I wouldn't think it was entirely his decision to do so. I mean if you're a money person would you rather continue what you know is making you money or take a chance on losing subs but being bold? Of course there's the icky middle ground that's so hard to tread but generally I'd like to give Yoshi the benefit of the doubt.

I mean if nothing changes in 6 months or so then no matter what the situation is people will either leave like it's in fashion or stick around because they never gave a fuck. But what I'm really curious about is if this exodus happens will the game actually change?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast