• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Is there a glitch in the newest update where taskbar previews won't go away after your mouse is no longer hovering over the preview image?

http://www.infoworld.com/article/304...-their-ok.html

This happened to my moms this morning. At first I found it hilarious, but when you have a "meh" PC w/ a 5400rpm HDD, the process quickly turned rage-inducing after having to wait for this garbage upgrade to finish and then reset it back to Win 7.

MS is so desperate to get that juicy bulk data collection network that they will break all marketing logic by forcing a product on people without their consent, who may end up with a broken version that performs shittier than what it actually should.

I clean installed Win 10 on my work laptop a year or two ago, works fine, with the exception of annoying ass auto-updates every week. I refuse to install it on my gaming PC, for a number of reasons, but there's no way in hell I would settle for a sloppy upgrade over a clean install. I hope they get some nice lawsuits and negative press for pulling this dumb shit, tbh. I know people under bandwidth restrictions or with slow internet are losing money/business if they get hit with this.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Oh, we had the unasked upgrade on a few customer machines (AFAIK some where domain joined...), "funny" part for some of them was that the upgrade killed both their VPN client and the (slightly ancient) citrix client we still had to use because of certain farm parameters. And I think in some rare cases reverting back to Win7 screwed the PC up completely.

Still not sure if I want to upgrade my main rig (running W7)... Upgraded my laptop last week, will see if there's anything that bugs me enough (aside from the forced updates) to stick to W7/8.1 until their support ends.
    And I still hope that someone finds a way to disable the forced updates. It's not like i'm totally paranoid about it, but it should be my choice when to install stuff and if I want the additional, not security-relevant crap...
    Oh well, but at least I can upgrade to W10 pro and postpone most updates by a few weeks/months... Already pity all those home version users who have to beta test new updates that didn't crash/screw up enough developer preview machines to get held back.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Yeah, we had an unexpected (and presumably unauthorized) upgrade from 7 to 10 today on one of our production editors. Because of time constraints we stuck it out for today with some small problems instead of trying to roll it back. I've done group policy on some machines to remove all the GWX stuff, but I didn't know this machine wasn't on the domain (not my department). Could have been much worse, but still a bit annoying.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

My wife's win7 computer might've just been hit by this.

She left it on like everyone else in the household normally does. When she goes to access the computer again Windows 7 won't even boot to desktop. Instead we get an error of a corrupted file. Windows won't let us revert to an older version so we do the best thing. Check memory problems -> None okay fuckit format everything and reinstall it.

Then we run into an issue where windows won't install to the SSD because it was a GPT not a MBT format. Use the built in format and that didn't work so I had to shift+F10 to open up cmd prompt and use disk partition from there.

Still didn't want to do it (Error 0x90300024) so I just wiped the HDD and converted that to a MBT as well. Worked like a charm.

Install Win 7 and suddenly find out that there's no ethernet drivers (First time I've experienced that with a clean install) so I use my compy and a USB stick to solve that issue because the MB driver disk isn't helping shit. Get that going and connected to the internet and let it try to update.

3 hours later and nothing. Try to diagnose the issue with windows tools and that doesn't work so I rebooted the computer and now it just started the windows 10 installation.

Fucking Microsoft at the moment and fuck my wife for just not accepting the fact that win 10 is being pushed onto her and she should accept it and not create these windows or disown microsoft and just use linux.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

On the personal and business workstations at work, it's ALWAYS come down to the user hitting the button accidentally. We're using a variety of things to track it but the most prominent thing right now is completely user error.

Also, we've been pushing Linux on everyone so it's fun to see whose been misclicking and more importantly, whose getting the update forced.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Windows10-chan goes from innocent to plain creepy with all the upgrade nagging...
    http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/05/2...rifying-manga/

€dit: it gets better: https://twitter.com/pso2tmg/status/7...853377/video/1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I got hit with the forced update. I had to decline on all the service agreements and it rolled me back to Win 7 after about 12-15 minutes. It seems to have affected my network somehow in that my primary home network is now named "(network name)-2". My PC and XB1 can connect to it fine on a wired connection, but my iPhone won't recognize it anymore even when I'm using the correct password to login.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

All I can say is yikes. My windows 10 system is working just fine tho thank you.

Need to make sure my back up is right and tight and make sure i got the driver for my network card though. Oh and I'm making a windows 10 disk in case something happens.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Jesus, just fucking upgrade. There's nothing wrong with 10 unless you're scared of all the tracking, and that stuff can be turned off quite easily.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Krandor: My brother won't because he has a problem of a network card that he had to use a older driver for or it won't work. So yes, this is ANNOYING for him. (Anyone know of any modern pci slot wireless network cards?)

I've already upgraded, that's why soon as I fix my PS4's hdd, I'm using that thumb drive and making me a full windows 10 install disk just in case I need to reinstall for some reason. ^^

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

There are a few reasons why someone might not want to upgrade to Win10. Giving into the fear mongering articles put out about a year ago is a major one, but legacy hardware that is no longer supported is another.

A lot of people with computer parts like to run the mentality of 'if it aint broke don't fix it' which doesn't really fly in the world of computing because of ELS Firmwares & Drivers that often don't work on some OSs or if certain updates are installed it will kill the driver or firmware of that component forcing you to revert to fix it. I know a handful of people that are using a 10 year old wNIC because "it works and I dont want to buy another" but cannot use it with Win10 because there is no support for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    I've already upgraded, that's why soon as I fix my PS4's hdd, I'm using that thumb drive and making me a full windows 10 install disk just in case I need to reinstall for some reason. ^^
    Win10 has a bunch of awesome tools for handling reformat and reset that doesn't require needing the full install on disk handy, I've had to go through this processes several times. The only time I would think you would ever need a install disk is if you're replacing a drive entirely, not sure where win10 throws the cd key for the reset and reformat processes but I haven't had to ever provide one with the 6-7 resets I've done over the last year on 10.

lol the forced update happened in the middle of expert roulette for me last night ;o

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    Anyone know of any modern pci slot wireless network cards?
    modern and PCI in one sentence kinda hurts... Why not a wifi stick? There are tons that are compatible with Win10.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    Win10 has a bunch of awesome tools for handling reformat and reset that doesn't require needing the full install on disk handy, I've had to go through this processes several times. The only time I would think you would ever need a install disk is if you're replacing a drive entirely, not sure where win10 throws the cd key for the reset and reformat processes but I haven't had to ever provide one with the 6-7 resets I've done over the last year on 10.
    The reset/refresh routines have been there since Vista, and they can fail sometimes. So having a USB setup stick can be handy, but then again you could always create one from another PC when needed.
    The activation info for Win10 is stored server-side at microsoft. It's basically just a thumbprint of your machine (mostly the mainboard) that says you performed the upgrade on that machine.

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

The only thing I can say I truly dislike about W10 is how half baked the menus seem to be. I have two different places to uninstall things and the like. A lot of the menus seem to serve as shortcuts to the old menus and applications that I used to use in W7 and it's a bit silly. It feels like they weren't confident enough to go through with using a full W10 setup so they left the legacy stuff just in case.

I mean, I'm glad they did. Some of the stuff (like the apps menu) doesn't work properly sometimes. Especially with older applications. Doesn't like to uninstall things or report file sizes properly.

Oh, and the attempt to shove Bing/Edge up my ass. I still want Firefox searches from windows back. I'm hoping there are plenty of people working toward fixing that little "update." Cortana could use some modifications from the community in general.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Niya; we've had bad luck with USB network sticks (especially downstairs..where Neko is) and we've always liked network cards. The trouble is I don't know if they're getting made anymore. I'm just wondering; Neko's is kinda wonky anyway.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Microsoft to add a second pop-up confirming users not wanting to upgrade
    Microsoft has u-turned over changes it made to a pop-up encouraging users to upgrade to Windows 10.

Users were angry that clicking the cross to dismiss the box meant that they had agreed to the upgrade.

Based on "customer feedback", Microsoft said it would add another notification that provided customers with "an additional opportunity for cancelling the upgrade".

The pop-up design had been described as a "nasty trick".

Microsoft told the BBC it had modified the pop-up as a result of criticism: "We've added another notification that confirms the time of the scheduled upgrade and provides the customer an additional opportunity for cancelling or rescheduling the upgrade.
    "If the customer wishes to continue with their upgrade at the designated time, they can click 'OK' or close the notifications with no further action needed."
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36376962

Users were angry that clicking the cross to dismiss the box meant that they had agreed to the upgrade.
    goddamn, so this is what got me to "upgrade" at the end...

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

So, windows decided to update itself to 10 while I was asleep. I hadn't planned on updating until the very end of the free period, after I had installed my new SSD. Am I just fucked now in terms of the free update because of the whole hardware configuration thing?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Uh, as long as you don't exchange the mainboard, your rig is now entitled for Win10 and you could even install W10 fresh on the SSD without losing your license. Changing "minor" parts like HDDs or other small parts doesn't affect that.