FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

I didnt have any problems with windows finding my flash drive. But i think it wiped it inthe process. Could have sworn I had other things saved to it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Adajer View Post
    I didnt have any problems with windows finding my flash drive. But i think it wiped it inthe process. Could have sworn I had other things saved to it.
    Yes, flash drives need to be wiped completely in order to function as system installations.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Yeah it warns you ahead of time that's it's gonna wipe it

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

So I'll upgrade my current OS on my main computer to 10 before the year is out, but next year when I build a new machine, and go to install 10, will the id key work? Or do you think I'll have to contact customer support and explain what happened?

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Anyone know of a place where they are selling Windows 10 on the cheap? About to upgrade this PC then purchase a copy of 10 for the new PC once the PSU comes through.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rulke View Post
    So I'll upgrade my current OS on my main computer to 10 before the year is out, but next year when I build a new machine, and go to install 10, will the id key work? Or do you think I'll have to contact customer support and explain what happened?
    That depends if you have a retail or OEM key. Retail is yours and can be transferred as long as it's only on one machine at a time. With OEM Windows 10 will whitelist that hardware for the "life of the device" and is not transferable to another machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Anyone know of a place where they are selling Windows 10 on the cheap? About to upgrade this PC then purchase a copy of 10 for the new PC once the PSU comes through.
    Keep an eye out for cheap Windows 7/8 retail keys and upgrade those to 10 if you get a good deal. Takes a touch more work initially, but might be worth potential cost savings.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Does anyone know if their keys for win7/8 still function after the upgrade? Might be able to squeeze 5 upgrades from 1 key.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    That depends if you have a retail or OEM key. Retail is yours and can be transferred as long as it's only on one machine at a time. With OEM Windows 10 will whitelist that hardware for the "life of the device" and is not transferable to another machine.
    IIRC I have an oem key from when I built our last two PCs. Thanks for the info.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

One those interesting articles about windows 10 that made me think for a bit!

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win...-os,29727.html

Main issue is not the "rolling back windows 10 if you don't like it" but more or less what MS is doing after those 30 days. Its a possibility MS keeps an account of how long it has been and may? possibly invalidate your old key no longer allowing you to go back to your windows 10 from your OLD OS.

Now this, like the article brings up a few questions, which the article has some answers to, just as people that upgrade parts of their PC, as the article states
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...0d6290a?auth=1

Q: What happens if I change the hardware configuration of my Windows 10 device?
    A: If the hardware configuration of your Windows 10 device changes significantly (e.g. motherboard change) Windows may require re-activation on the device. This is the same experience as prior versions of Windows (e.g. Windows 7 and Windows 8.1). The free upgrade offer will not apply to activation of Windows 10 in such scenarios where hardware changes reset Activation.
    Thats just an example device, but who knows what else can cause it, such as a video card change, or adding a new hardrive for instance.

Looks like overall though, I will be using a backup program of my current OS before upgrading, so I don't get randomly fucked down the line with nothing but a "please buy a copy of windows 10 because you changed your hardrive config" message down the line O_o

P.S. I guess its good that I bought a new video card a month or so back, but I will need a new hardrive later on for stuff, and I hope it doesn't fuck me over on windows 10 O_o

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

How do you get your new 7-to-10 key so you can do a clean install after upgrading first?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Purrrfect View Post
    How do you get your new 7-to-10 key so you can do a clean install after upgrading first?
    You don't, you can do a clean install, skip the key part during installation and they the system will activate itself over the net.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

And to clarify, if you pull the key out of the registry on an OEM upgrade, it will be a generic key that all like versions (home, pro, etc.) all share in common. Microsoft's servers are keeping track of which hardware has been successfully updated for future clean installs.

Road Tinnies

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    You don't, you can do a clean install, skip the key part during installation and they the system will activate itself over the net.
    If you are doing a fresh install how will it remember that old W7 key or recognise that its legit if you reformat your HD etc?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

As Jamison mentioned, instead of relying on the keys, it actually remembers your hardware when you first update and then it checks whether it's the same and activates it if everything agrees.

BG Level

Having issues with Chrome, ever since I updated to W10. it's just slow

Like having 2-3 tabs, click on a tab to change takes 2-5 seconds before the tab switch, taping an internet address takes forever, then after i press enter it takes 2-3 seconds before it even starts to process the command

I disabled all my extensions and nothing changed

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I had the same issue Rata. Finally caved and did the fresh install. It's gone.

Old Merits
    BG Level

The clean install was really smooth. Only managed to go through upgrade and reinstallation yesterday; can't wait to get home from work and take a closer look at everything.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Someone anyone let me know if you find, know, or have a working SMS email reply setup (mail app) and working on Win 10. Doesn't work for me ( was on 8.1).

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by DrClout View Post
    I had the same issue Rata. Finally caved and did the fresh install. It's gone.
    Meh I don't want to

Edit; Just uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled and it's fixed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast