• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    Nothing weird happened to you, you can't use your win 7 key to activate 10. After you upgrade the system remembers your hardware and just activates over the Internet.
    Aha, I see. Lame that I couldn't reactivate after the botched reset. They should really look into fixing that so there is no need to troll about for reactivation methods.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I'm on vacation and haven't had a chance to sift through everything, but am about to upgrade and then clean install win10 on my laptop since I have a few hours to burn.

What apps or features do I want to disable when installing? Some of them seem two faced, improves something but Microsoft gets your contacts etc.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I turned em ALL off when I fresh-installed.

There are 2 main things you'll probably want to disable - one is to disable wifi password sharing to contacts, and another is seeding windows updates to Internet users.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    I'm on vacation and haven't had a chance to sift through everything, but am about to upgrade and then clean install win10 on my laptop since I have a few hours to burn.

What apps or features do I want to disable when installing? Some of them seem two faced, improves something but Microsoft gets your contacts etc.
    choose custom settings - Disable pretty much everything. the short descriptors say what they do so it's fairly obvious.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Is there anything worth keeping? In the process of resetting now and can't see what they all are.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Might consider smart screen if you're not too worried about showing MS et. al. what you're surfing/running (checks some of the things you do against a MS database for trouble)

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Aha, I see. Lame that I couldn't reactivate after the botched reset. They should really look into fixing that so there is no need to troll about for reactivation methods.
    After you upgraded, did you check to make sure 10 was activated? I upgraded early in the day, then got around to starting my clean install a few hours later. Luckily I checked before I started, because my upgrade hadn't activated yet. I activated it, then did my clean install. That may be what caused your issue, just simply that 10 hadn't reached out to the MS servers and activated yet, so your clean install wouldn't activate either.

As a side not on the boot loader error, I also saw that when I downloaded the ISO and tried to load it on a thumb drive. I went through the download option again and chose thumb drive and it worked, so something was different about how I loaded it and how MS loaded it.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Obiron View Post
    After you upgraded, did you check to make sure 10 was activated? I upgraded early in the day, then got around to starting my clean install a few hours later. Luckily I checked before I started, because my upgrade hadn't activated yet. I activated it, then did my clean install. That may be what caused your issue, just simply that 10 hadn't reached out to the MS servers and activated yet, so your clean install wouldn't activate either.

As a side not on the boot loader error, I also saw that when I downloaded the ISO and tried to load it on a thumb drive. I went through the download option again and chose thumb drive and it worked, so something was different about how I loaded it and how MS loaded it.
    Yeah, checked and waited for about 2-3 hours and no activation came around. Then left it on, went to work and came back to surf a solution for the problem. So in all it was not activated for at least 12 or so hours. I didn't wait to wait any longer so I went about looking for another solution.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

2 questions!

Whats a good windows 7 backup/restore image program and 2nd.... has anyone figured how to prevent/disable/block windows 10 automated updates.

As much as I like updates, I don't like my PC randomly restarting whenever the fuck windows 10 feels like restarting the PC when I'[m not on it O_o

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

To block automatic updates it has to be the higher tiers of Windows 10 (Pro etc)

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    To block automatic updates it has to be the higher tiers of Windows 10 (Pro etc)
    Actually Windows 10 can only defer updates. The Enterprise versions are the only ones that can allow you to choose updates.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

You can change the setting to notify you when a restart is needed instead of automatically restarting. But automatic downloads will continue because Microsoft realized it can't trust people to update on their own.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

You can change the setting to notify you when a restart is needed instead of automatically restarting. But automatic downloads will continue because Microsoft realized it can't trust people to update on their own.
    Let's not forget the "Windows Genuine Advantage" update that came out and wrecked copies of Windows 7 that were activated with the Daz loader. Microsoft probably shouldn't make updates like that optional, for their own good.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    Let's not forget the "Windows Genuine Advantage" update that came out and wrecked copies of Windows 7 that were activated with the Daz loader. Microsoft probably shouldn't make updates like that optional, for their own good.

Windows 10 updates can disable pirated games and unauthorized hardware

Microsoft’s new Services Terms that went in effect on the 1st of August state the technology giant can prevent you from playing counterfeit games or use unauthorized hardware. The terms are valid for everyone using Microsoft services such as Office 365, Outlook.com, Xbox Live, Skype, OneDrive, Bing and MSN. Also software using a Microsoft account is covered by the terms meaning the terms also affect most Windows 10 users. Although Microsoft’s latest OS can be used without a Microsoft account the majority of users will nevertheless use it with an account from the Redmond company.

The terms now explicitly state Microsoft can release updates that could have some serious consequences. In the terms the company states it might, “download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices.”...
    http://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-...ardware-76883/

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

People shouldn't use Microsoft Accounts on their local computers anyway. This seems to only affect those who do?

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

yeah I'm getting pro 64bit of course O_o

as long as it doesn't just randomly restart whenever it feels like it its fine, I don't care if it downloads updates constantly

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Omniyoji View Post
    Actually Windows 10 can only defer updates. The Enterprise versions are the only ones that can allow you to choose updates.
    Not true. You can turn off automatic downloads on any version of Windows 10 by setting your connection to metered, and ask to be notified before anything is installed.

This thread is like 80% B.S. propaganda at this point lol

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Actually what I wrote was true and is what most users will do lol.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras View Post
    Not true. You can turn off automatic downloads on any version of Windows 10 by setting your connection to metered, and ask to be notified before anything is installed.

This thread is like 80% B.S. propaganda at this point lol
    Oh wow their whole cock block attempt is rendered pointless. I can see them patching this in the future.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast