1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 16 hours, 48 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 7 hours, 11 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 9 hours, 48 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 0 hours, 11 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Famitsu Translation - Interview with Yoshida at Gamescom 2015

If there are any formatting or consistency issues, excuse them for now. I’m kind of rushing this out as if I don’t get it posted now, I won’t be able to for another three hours. I’ll come back at that point to see if there’s anything I need to fix. Thanks to Cecil75 who PM’ed me the link to the interview this morning for the heads up.

Source: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201508/11085705.html

-----

"FFXIV" - Actively considering Astrologian readjustments. [Gamescom 2015]

Final Fantasy XIV was exhibited at Europe's largest gaming event, Gamescom 2015. Producer and Director Naoki Yoshida attended the event to chat with players and promote the game. We had a chance to speak with him about the response to the recent release of the game's first expansion, the global hit "Heavensward," as well as future updates.

Starting on August 5, 2015, Europe's largest gaming event, Gamescom 2015, was held in Cologne, Germany. Final Fantasy XIV producer and director Naoki Yoshida visited the site and we had an opportunity to speak with him and discuss the future of Heavensward, the game's first expansion.

Since the start of service on June 23, 2015, players from around the world who are playing every day have posted a number of questions and requests on the official forum.

A policy of side quests not giving valuable experience was also considered.

How is the reaction from the German fans?

Yoshida: Their response has been going up steadily. This is the fourth time in four consecutive years that I've been able to participate in Gamescom, and I'm still meeting kind and cheerful players from those days, as well as new players added to the lineup every year. We worked with our event organizers to plan a party with our European players for this evening.

So the same community is still around from the start of service, but it's also expanding.

Yoshida: That's right.

Is their reaction any different from that of Japanese players?

Yoshida: It's similar. The people we meet with in North America are hyperactive, but when we meet with players in Germany, it's similar to Japan in that they seem to be a bit nervous at first.

It's been about a month and a half now since the release of Heavensward, so tell us about some of the reactions of players, the development team, and yourself.

Yoshida: First, we value the reactions of players above all the rest because we want the game to stay popular. On the business side, the number of new subscribers has increased significantly, and many players who had stopped their subscriptions have rejoined, so I'm very happy from a business perspective.

Are many of the new and returning players still continuing their adventures now?

Yoshida: Rather than stopping after playing just a little, we've seen great numbers of players who continue to play regularly after reaching level 60. I think this is due to all of the hard work put in by the development team to produce such a large scale expansion.

Among the reactions you received from players, was there anything unexpected?

Yoshida: With an expansion of this size, there will be small bugs, so we've had many maintenances to fix bugs and fine tune certain jobs, so there has been some inconvenience. That said, there haven't been many reactions that were totally unexpected.

Were there any systems or rules implemented in the expansion pack which were not well-regarded by players?

Yoshida: There were a lot of firsts included here, so for things we didn't consider enough earlier, we've tried to correct them immediately after reviewing the feedback. So far, we've been able to stay on top of the ball. One thing we worried a bit about early in development, in response to the "click debate" that seems to be happening all over the world, was whether we should implement side quests as a resource for large amounts of experience. We seriously discussed this among the development team.

Did you consider removing the experience value from side quests?

Yoshida: The side quests are story-based, but if you're just focused on progressing quickly, it's possible to skip the text by clicking your mouse or pressing a button. Since we can't implement any large-scale mechanics for side quests, the variation is limited to things like hunt XX animals, deliver YY to ZZ, etc. Of course, we made an effort to increase the variety and to make the story itself interesting. However, the debate was considering those who are only interested in clicking through and obtaining the experience.

That debate happened even within the development team?

Yoshida: We got into a discussion among the development team about whether it would be good to get rid of it. Within the development team, there were some who thought that the of earning experience points should be primarily in dungeons and monster hunts in field areas with a focus on earning experience through party play. The risk, then, was that we wouldn't be meeting the requests of players who enjoy playing solo and wanted to complete everything on their own. We weighed the pros and cons and ultimately decided to implement it with the original plan since players will level up with the main quest.

What were the reactions of players as a result?

Yoshida: We heard feedback like "I'm tired of this" or "there are too many errands to run," but we got more positive feedback as, for the most part, we were able to mask the monotony of the quests by having interesting stories. This was the result of the efforts by the scenario team.

What instructions did you give to the scenario team?

Yoshida: I told them that not just the main quest should be interesting, but the side stories as well. Thanks to the teams that put together all of the side quests, the feedback we got from players was that there were many interesting aspects to the story of the side quests, except for the Moogle ones... (laughs).

Players around the world might hate moogles now...(laughs).

Yoshida: We've definitely thought about this... as far as quests where moogles are concerned, I think we'll give ourselves a chance to redeem them in the future.

What about other feedback?

Yoshida: The opening of the level cap was big. Level 50 adventurers were previously getting close to invincible, so with the increase in the cap they've fallen back in strength a bit. We thought there might be some confusion about this, but it seems that it was generally expected. Regarding the savage version of Alexander: Gordias, as top players have done research they've been starting to see the possibilities opened up by each job. As we promote a dialogue with all of our players, we plan to make adjustments based on that feedback.

It sounds like Hamamura (Hirokazu Hamamura, director of KADOKAWA DWANGO) plays a lot of Heavensward.

Yoshida: The other day I received an email from Hamamura that he completed the main quest. It was accompanied by the words "this is truly FF," so I was delighted. From our perspective, since we're making a Final Fantasy RPG, someone telling us that the story is interesting is the best compliment we can get, so I was really happy.

Version 4.0 finally discussed! Yoshida talks about the start of development.

Can you talk about any of the content of patch 3.1 yet?

Yoshida: The development team has already started work for patch 3.1 which will be the first major patch for Heavensward. Since FFXIV will be celebrating its second anniversary pretty soon, we'd like to start talking about patch 3.1 around that time. As far as my own work goes, I'm working hard on pushing through the update plan for the 3.X series, and we're also working on the content to be included in the trailer for version 4.0 (the next expansion).

I expected to hear you say you'd be working on the 3.X series (laughs).

Yoshida: Now that Heavensward has been successfully launched, we already have to start progressing our plans for the next work (laughs). The planning and initial production for version 4.0 will start soon.

When will you be announcing the release date for patch 3.1?

Yoshida: Coming up soon at the 14-hour live broadcast commemorating the second anniversary we'll have the live producer letter which will include part 1 of discussion of patch 3.1 features. At Tokyo Game Show 2015 in September, we'll deliver the second part of that discussion. Following that, we'll be having some events like the FATE in Kagoshima promoting Heavensward, so we might announce it at any of those (laughs).

Adjustments to astrologian's abilities based on trends in "savage."

Tell us about the roadmap for updates that you have right now.

Yoshida: On July 21 in Patch 3.05 we released Seal Rock, the new Frontline battle, as well as the savage version of Alexander: Gordias. In addition to fine-tuning and making bug fixes for this content, we'll also continue making adjustments to job balance based on player feedback.

Will you also be making adjustments for the new jobs?

Yoshida: We're working on a number of things, but our primary focus right now is deciding how we want to adjust astrologian.

Give us a little more detail on the current situation for job balance.

Yoshida: Responding to feedback that we received from players, we completed a number of immediate fixes for job balance in patch 3.05. However, specifically for astrologian, it seems that there is a significant trend where players are considering it a risk in savage Alexander: Gordias, so we'll be carefully looking at player feedback and the play log from savage Alexander to decide how we want to adjust.

Yoshida: The most feedback we've gotten has been about the luck element involved. However, since astrologians can increase a party's total power using the cards, if we gave them an ability to raise their base healing power to the same healing capacity as white mages and scholars, with the incremental increases from the raised healing power and the increased party strength, we could run into a problem with balance issues compared to the other two jobs. The primary issues we are currently focused on are the burden caused by their ability use, instability due to the luck characteristic, and the lack of healing power compared to the other two healing jobs. However, if we take it a step too far the job could easily become overpowered, so we really needed to give it time to fully assess the situation and we're sorry to have kept you waiting.

In order to maintain the balance, won't you need to decrease something if you're increasing something else?

Yoshida: Since astrologians have the ability to switch healing stances, we also want to be careful that putting together a team with two astrologians doesn't become the ideal, so we need to be most cautious. We did take a look at players in the top groups clearing portions of savage Alexander: Gordias who were using Astrologian well to try to avoid the possibility of overpowering the job by implementing upward adjustments. We realize that waiting around is a tough situation for players whose main job is astrologian, but we are almost done collecting data, and we need another 1-2 weeks to carefully consider the measures we will take to solve the frustration that players have but also make sure we don't throw off the balance.

What about other jobs?

Yoshida: For tanks in general, we've been watching whether it's been difficult to maintain enmity. Since DPS at level 60 have a high attack power, we're a bit concerned about that and will keep an eye on it. Also, this is not to say that we're not looking at adjusting any of the other jobs - there will be full consideration based on the trends that come out of savage Alexander: Gordias.

Besides astrologian, have you already noticed disparities between any of the other jobs?

Yoshida: Well, for example, there are only a few teams which have been able to clear the third part of savage Alexander: Gordias so far, but almost all of the same jobs have been used. Of course, there will always be some variation between the jobs, so equalizing the jobs in the future is a continuing challenge. Since there's no end to balance adjustments, we'll take it into consideration after we review the current situation.

The pace to clear the third section of savage Alexander was a few days ahead of expectations.

Do you have any thoughts at the moment for the teams that have cleared the third section?

Yoshida: It's cool. Really amazing. We thought it would take a little more time based on the item levels, but...

So the time to clear it was shorter than expected?

Yoshida: Yeah, it was a few days different. There were a lot of "wow, amazing!" reactions when the clear first happened.

It's a good relationship when the development team is praising the skill of the players.

Yoshida: Since it's only human to make mistakes, we have the general impression that a team of eight players can do about 80% of the limit what a perfect machine would do. But these teams are putting out like 120% by having great cooperation between the jobs and enhancing each others' capabilities. It's all due to the combination of the members, so it's really amazing.

What did the battle director think when he heard the third section was cleared?

Yoshida: I got mail from him addressed to me with the subject "team just cleared, truly amazing." (laughs)

Is there a difference to the way Japanese and overseas players approach clearing endgame content?

Yoshida: In general, players clear by refining their approach, so it's not much different in how they aim for a clear. Even with respect to the top players, the region doesn't really seem to have any effect. What seems more important is a general "awareness." Overseas teams put more of an emphasis on dark knight in early play, and an awareness of the fights led to hypotheses which they logically test out in play. I wonder if the teams who are world's first are determined by their judgment and decisiveness.

With "awareness" being part of improving their tactics, we're surprised by how broad-minded the clear parties are.

Yoshida: Without gathering a group of people who can think out of the box, it would be hard to become a top clear team in the first place. It's the same as in team sports, a team that relies on just one person can't become world-class.

This year's 14-hour live broadcast will be like a "variety show."

What are you thinking for the 14 hour live broadcast which you'll be holding on August 22?

Yoshida: We'll probably be doing a 14-hour broadcast like this in the future for every anniversary. While we survived the full 14 hours last year, we were honestly exhausted by the end of it. Instead of trying to cram in as much as we can like last time, our goal this time is to put together one continuous package that we can feasibly get through. Especially since we plan on doing this each year, we don't want to make it something that we dread doing (laughs).

So the flavor will be a bit different from last year?

Yoshida: We think this is a kind of thing that players can watch while they're logged into Eorzea. Similar to a 24-hour TV program, viewers might be in front of the screen but not watching all the time. Since the 14-hour broadcast on August 22 will be a number of different shows, please enjoy it in that way on the side as you continue your adventures in Eorzea.

On the topic of real events, do you plan to continue to hold them as frequently in the future?

Yoshida: We plan to have them at roughly the same pace of last year, once every 2-3 months. After the event in Kagoshima which will happen before the end of this year, we'll have one more early next year. We're not sure what the next one will be after that, but it might be some events that we hold at the venue of next year's Niconico Super Conference.

Do you have any say in the selection of the locations for the real events?

Yoshida: For the two week event, we narrowed down the sites and we'll be rolling the dice on community radio to make the final determination. I hoped that we could have an event in northern Hokkaido during the cold season so i could snowboard before my return home... (laughs)

(Laughs) By the way, how is the checking work for Windows 10 going?

Yoshida: The technical QA team, who looks at things like hardware requirements and the OS, is checking on the operating conditions. We're getting close to our conclusion, but due to some of the unique features in Windows 10, we are moving forward with some additional testing because we've seen problems under certain conditions. It will take a bit longer.

Planning a day where players can come to interview Yoshida directly.

You've said that the community is very important, so do you have a long term roadmap planned regarding that?

Yoshida: We want to be able to continue to have a dialogue with our players. For example, at real events we invite about 200 local players to each FATE, and we get to speak with the visitors before and after the events; however, there's a limit to how much I can talk in one day and how much people can take. Inviting a small number of people becomes more of a lottery each time, but we want to be able to chat with all of the people at the event. Since its a FF game, we'll also have larger scale branded events. By reducing the number of people involved in the small ones, the creators get a chance to get a chance to speak more intimately with a number of players. Last year, we had some events that went well with this concept, so we'll be continuing to have events like this as well as other new types.

Like what?

Yoshida: After the 14-hour live broadcast, we're planning on inviting some people and more famous players with FFXIV blogs to an open roundtable discussion. I don't know how well it will go, but it's something we want to try at least once so we can decide if we would do it more in the future.

That's certainly a new way of getting in touch with the community.

Yoshida: When we go overseas, we already invite the most famous local fan sites along with the media to our interviews. The people from the fan sites collect questions from their community and bring them to me for the interview. At the end, I leave some comments in a movie for the community. This is something we've been doing for about four years.

Any idea on when you might invite players from Japan to interview you directly?

Yoshida: This isn't limited just to Japan, but we hope if this attempt is successful we would continue to do them when we do interviews and media tours in the future.

Why have you not done this in Japan until now?

Yoshida: We tried things like this previously with FFXI, but it was easier to pick standout sites there because the number of long-running community sites was small. Now, there are more players familiar with online games so we've waited until now to decide to take the next step.

So you want to match the changes to the player base but also continue to evolve your attitude towards the community.

Yoshida: There are a number of different themes to FFXIV with related sites, so players from the community can convey the charm of FFXIV to others in a whole new way, such as with "Father of Light," [[sounds like this is a JP community blog]] etc.

For blogs like "Father of Light," does the development team take a look?

Yoshida: Of course, I'm happy to see it. In fact, when I was playing Diablo, one player I knew was writing a novel about his experiences with the game. I think people often replay games and write about them as a hobby (laughs). As media about games becomes more popular, I'm very happy to see this trend continuing in Eorzea.

The relationship between media and players has changed with FFXIV

As the media, we also feel like we have to focus more on the general community as well.

Yoshida: The Famitsu interview with Lucrezia got a lot of attention. Up until now, it wasn't considered "professional" to interview general community players. It's good to see that the relationship between the game, the community, and the media is evolving with FFXIV.

As the media, for the good of the game and the community, we want to do our best to make sure everyone knows how fun it is. Do you have anything to add in closing?

Yoshida: Thanks to everyone for their support with the release of Heavensward. We're fortunate to have a lot of players around the world so we're pleased on the business side. We've also gotten a lot of praise from members throughout the MMORPG industry who thought that games could no longer be sustained with a subscription-based billing model. We could only have made this work with the players, so thanks to everyone for that. As we continue with the development of the patch 3.X series, we'll also be working on preparing a next-generation expansion with version 4.0. Thanks for all of your encouragement!

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Good shit Slycer ! The information is starting to flow like crazy again, gonna update that other thread as well over the next week.

Following Yoshida like I have, I would love the chance to interview the man on behalf of BG someday, concerning game development and the directions he and his team took to make the game so successful. It was the fact that he's so god damn transparent about the direction of the game why it was even possible for us and other sites like Reddit to be able to draw up a list of future changes to the game, anticipate, and watch come to pass.

He's literally come through on about 80% or so of his promises & ideas stretching back to when he joined the team 4 or 5 years ago. You just don't see this very often in games anymore, and its pretty easy to see how he became a celebrity within the MMO circle. Game isn't perfect, but I be damned if the man doesn't go out of his way in his pursuit of it.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I want him to have an interview of a 80 people where each one just asks about the API plug in module. I wonder how many ways he can avoid answering the question before he says: "Listen, I said it was coming and I changed my mind and you're never gonna see it now, ok?"

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Since we need interviews that cover all sides of BG, so we need Sho (favorable), Ragns (neutral), and Destinye (unfavorable) to make sure we have the widest angle of question coverage.

Suits and ties, gentleman, and make sure you ask all the questions across the spectrum.

I'm pretty sure anyone can play all sides depending on the subject. Like overall I think most people like, respect and acknowledge the game and are more or less vocal about shit that annoys them despite that. Generally I think you get more out of saying what you don't like rather than what you do, unless what you do like is important enough to carry forward (which personally I don't think any content currently is).

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Times like these I wish I had a full cloak to billow in the breeze.

What is there to woosh when you make a general statement? I mean you aren't even using it right.

Like, good for you if you think I missed the point rather than just using it to say something else.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Since we need interviews that cover all sides of BG, so we need Sho (favorable), Ragns (neutral), and Destinye (unfavorable) to make sure we have the widest angle of question coverage.

Suits and ties, gentleman, and make sure you ask all the questions across the spectrum.
    IMO Niiro far more unfavorable about the game than Destinye. Yoshi-P on record for setting the stage for what questions can or can't be permitted for publishing; I doubt he would even answer about half of the questions I would ask, and far less from a person with a more negative outlook on the game.

I'm willing to bet that the direction of the future questions that would be asked to him and the team would only be able to stretch as far as patch 3.2~3.25, if he allowed them a little bit after this 14 hour broadcast. So essentially the questions that should be prosed should be towards future Airship patches, the upcoming CT like raid and finally the next phase of Alexander. Could also ask off the wall questions QOL questions, as well as more obscure questions about the minons, mounts, Magitek companions, new Gold Saucer rewards, and if they'll stop using circles and squares for boss arenas. Alternatively, I'm pretty certain someone could go down a line of questioning on how the team conceptualized and implemented mechanics in previous ARR bosses, raids and dungeons (all the way up to Final Coil). Of course, you ask in this manner to gleam a semblance of what's to come in Heavensward without overtly asking.

The one thing that I did notice that I like about the team is that if you ask about an interesting feature, QOL adjustment, job adjustment, mount/minion, or the like -- the fact that if Yoshi-P answers favorably about said addition, it puts everyone in the team to task in making it a reality as soon as possible. A few adjustments to the game came in this very manner, like cost adjustments for housing, 2.1 buff/revamp to Warrior, primal/magitek mount music, preview features on gear, previous FF game glamour sets, UI adjustments, and a few more additions.

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    Yoshida: After the 14-hour live broadcast, we're planning on inviting some people and more famous players with FFXIV blogs to an open roundtable discussion. I don't know how well it will go, but it's something we want to try at least once so we can decide if we would do it more in the future.

That's certainly a new way of getting in touch with the community.

Yoshida: When we go overseas, we already invite the most famous local fan sites along with the media to our interviews. The people from the fan sites collect questions from their community and bring them to me for the interview. At the end, I leave some comments in a movie for the community. This is something we've been doing for about four years.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

The price of not conforming to those FFXI community site standards, and w/e they have similar for XIV.
    Worth it, because there needs to be someplace rational that will call S-E (and "special" OF fourumites) on boneheaded shit when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    IMO Niiro far more unfavorable about the game than Destinye.
    It's an honor just to be nominated.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Niiro would work too. We just need 3 people that cover all the spectrums. The far left, the center, and the far right. We gotta hit him from every angle so he really takes the notes back home to Japan.

All of you fuckers better demand that he do fucking Mercs in PVP though. GC bullshit is bullshit.

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Ragns (neutral)

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    It's an honor just to be nominated.
    If Kappa wasn't a fucking trademark, you'd get three of them right now.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

"...working on preparing a next-generation expansion with version 4.0."

Yoshi *drops mic*

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Artifact View Post
    "...working on preparing a next-generation expansion with version 4.0."

Yoshi *drops mic*
    That's pretty much what was said about Heavensward too. And look where we are now.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    That's pretty much what was said about Heavensward too. And look where we are now.

"if I tell them we are working on next generation shit, maybe they will believe it."

dropping ps3 finally?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Nullibicity View Post
    dropping ps3 finally?
    They're dropping PS3 after Heavensward but it's old news.