1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 21 hours, 3 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 2 hours, 56 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 14 hours, 3 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 19 hours, 56 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by layoneil View Post
    no, because Shiva also dropped weapons that people wanted.
    Not really, Shiva came out at the same time coil 2 unlocked, people wanted HA weapons (115), not Shiva weapons (110, same as soldiery weapons which people already had access to and were now unlocked).

They didn't add the diamond dust upgrades until quite a while after.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Not really, Shiva came out at the same time coil 2 unlocked, people wanted HA weapons (115), not Shiva weapons (110, same as soldiery weapons which people already had access to and were now unlocked).

They didn't add the diamond dust upgrades until quite a while after.
    you live in a world where everyone farmed HA weapons, which is not the actual world that exists. some Shiva weapons were better than the soldiery equivalent.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

everything hinges on the Airship content not being crap.

the rest of the list is more of the same even if they do each part of it slightly better.
    I suppose it depends on whether or not you enjoy the game in its current state, which I do. I know that not everyone does though, so I'm hoping the airship stuff is as good as it sounds!

you live in a world where everyone farmed HA weapons, which is not the actual world that exists. some Shiva weapons were better than the soldiery equivalent.
    If you couldn't farm HA weapons, you weren't doing final coil, in which case whether an item is useful or not makes no difference.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

If you couldn't farm HA weapons, you weren't doing final coil, in which case whether an item is useful or not makes no difference.
    Or you just chose not to farm HA weapons for jobs that weren't your main for the marginally worse but significantly easier to obtain Shiva weapons.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

1) there were people who could not yet clear T9 but could clear Shiva EX
    2) itemization exists; some Shiva weapons had better secondaries than the soldiery weapons (e.g. SCH)

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    1) there were people who could not yet clear T9 but could clear Shiva EX
    2) itemization exists; some Shiva weapons had better secondaries than the soldiery weapons (e.g. SCH)
    If you weren't doing final coil, you didn't need any of this.

An item is useful and relevant if it has a place in the hardest content, that's what's being discussed here.

Shiva weapons did not (the bracelets, however, did).

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Too lazy to read backwards, but didn't this particular part of the discussion go in the direction of what people were doing rather than what people should have been doing?

Need goes out the window if that's the case. Goal-oriented casuals exist(I'm one of them), so farming Shiva instead of second coil was definitely a thing.

The conversation originated with gear that was relevant and useful for raid content.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

If you weren't doing final coil, you didn't need any of this.
    People do content simply because they need the drops? I figured they did it because they wanted to, you know, do the fights?

Yeah yeah relevant for raid content, but that's a tiny window to air-pack everything concerning primal itemization into.

Shiva shit looked cool. It was all frosted and cold.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

I wouldn't say the Shiva weapons were universally useless/irrelevant. They had a very obvious target audience (those who couldn't farm Darnus) and the trial was correctly tuned for them (it was a very simple fight with very low DPS/healing checks). This is a lot more than can be said of Bismarck/Ramuh since farming these fights was harder than simply taking other available options for your weapons.

Had Shiva not dropped i120 bracelets it would've still had a much longer shelf life than Bismarck/Ramuh. It really baffles me, who exactly were these two fights meant for?

Black Belt
    BG Level

The conversation originated with gear that was relevant and useful for raid content.
    no, it originated with me saying Bismarck EX and Ramuh EX were both released in a state where people did it once and quit it and you using everything else to try and debunk that assertion.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Stef View Post
    I suppose it depends on whether or not you enjoy the game in its current state, which I do. I know that not everyone does though, so I'm hoping the airship stuff is as good as it sounds!
    i do but the game definitely has peaks and valleys. for lots of people the valleys dip pretty low around the 5-6 month mark when we're only doing things for our 4th+ jobs.

you can't keep doing that to people over and over and expect all of them to come back from it every time. good new content should take away from that.

no, it originated with me saying Bismarck EX and Ramuh EX were both released in a state where people did it once and quit it and you using everything else to try and debunk that assertion.
    ........what?

I said Ramuh rings were useful.

Rocl reminded me that the rings were i100 at first, then someone else pointed out that Ramuh was released in a non-coil patch which meant we had access to i110 rings from hunts at that point.

I agreed, and said Shiva bracelets were a better example of relevant primal drops because they came out in the same patch as final coil and were equal to un-upgraded tome gear.

We were clearly discussing gear that was relevant at the time it was released, your comment about Ramuh may have triggered the conversation but it wasn't what it was about.

Black Belt
    BG Level

then someone else pointed out that Ramuh was released in a non-coil patch which meant we had access to i110 rings from hunts at that point.
    except that someone else was still me.

Ok........so you were also along with the conversation when it was focusing on relevant gear, so what's all this nonsense about "not everyone does coil blah blah casuals".

Black Belt
    BG Level

Ok........so you were also along with the conversation when it was focusing on relevant gear, so what's all this nonsense about "not everyone does coil blah blah casuals".
    i was never along for that part, apparently at some point you just started talking to yourself.

the only thing of interest to me is this:

Quote Originally Posted by solracht View Post
    It really baffles me, who exactly were these two fights meant for?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    People do content simply because they need the drops? I figured they did it because they wanted to, you know, do the fights?
    The way some people play, you'd think they don't actually want to do the fights.

Or they only want to "do" them, not clear them.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Yah, if the screw the FC content up, it could be very bad. Something, anything, that doesn't require the same group of 7 people is absolutely needed.
    Flexibility in party setups isnt FFXIV strong point sadly... (or Flexibility in general)

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

You're always going to need a healer if the content its too hard that it can't be killed comfortably by ~2-8+ individuals. You're always going to need a tank if the content hits too hard that it's not realistically possible for a DPS to handle themselves for the duration of whatever the encounter is. What you choose to use for DPS if it's casual enough.. doesn't matter what so ever, there may be lacking class synergy but you could still do whatever it is you're attempting to accomplish with 4 of the same dps is you really care to do that.

You can be as flexible as you want with whatever content you want to do, but if you handle everything of the mind set that you need x-amount of healers or you need x-amount of tanks or you need x-class for y-class and z-class to function to their best then yeah you're going to encounter that no-flexibility. Choosing to follow the heard of rather break out and try something different just to go against the norm is your choice and one you make and accept on your own.