+ Reply to Thread

Getting better/new-customer deals with comcast / Pro-tips

So just realized my comcast bill jumped from $49.99 to $69.99 since I had the blast+ bundle and I guess 6 months is up on it. I'd rather not hop to verizon and then back to comcast to get a "new customer" deal since it's a hassle. Just called up and couldn't get them to go lower then $59.99, even though they have a deal for just blast+ internet at 29.99 on their site.

Going to call up tomorrow and try to haggle again but was wondering if anyone had tips or have done this before? I know calling up and being nice + threatening to possibly cancel is a good tactic but depends on the person too and if they are authorized to deal with you.

Also please please Google Fiber...fucking come to Maryland already.

#edit:

Hmm reading online, someone mentioned that comcast considers you a "new customer" if you have not had their service in 6 months. I know I had our original sub in my wife's name, then swapped to mine for a new deal, wonder if we could just swap back to hers...

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Former DirecTV guy here, can provide some tips, as I'm certain Comcast runs a similar model. During my time with DTV, if a customer called up for anything, we would get a notification on their file notifying us of any competitors in the area, what kind of freebies/discounts the customer was entitled to based on their history, etc.

If there are any competitors in your area that are advertising a promotion, mention them specifically and indicate you are interested in switching to them if you cannot be satisfied. The person on the other end should be able to offer you a comparable deal to prevent you from canceling. Or even if they can't, they will pull the "well, I've seen you've been a loyal customer for XXX amount of months/years, and because of that we'd like to offer you XXX amount off your bill for the next XXX months". They might throw in free HBO or Showtime or something like that for 6 months.

Now the caveat here is if you are a relatively new customer without a lot of account history, or you've been a shit customer with late payments etc., they likely won't help you. Also, if you are on a super old deal that is actually causing the company to LOSE money (like one of those "Lock your rates in for 10 years!" promotions that have been run in the past), they won't help you because they WANT you to cancel.

If all else fails, ask to speak to a manager. The higher up the chain you go, the more they can offer you. The biggest thing is to be firm in stating what you want, but also be friendly about it. It's a real person on the other end of the line, and if you are a total dick, they won't put themselves out there to help you.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I had Comcast for a long time before FiOS came to my neighborhood. As usual, bills were getting progressively more expensive every couple months. FiOS came knocking and offered crazy good deals locked in for 2 years. My first thought was "fuck Comcast, I'm out." But I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt since I had been a customer so long, and it's a bit of a pain to disconnect/return/reinstall everything.

Anyways to the point, I called and said, "Hey my bill is getting a bit extreme; I've been a loyal customer for years; Can ya help me out?" Their response was, "Well we can reduce your internet speed" and "We can give you a lesser TV package." (I only had 2nd tier Internet/TV to begin with.) They refused to deal with me, so I very politely dropped the FiOS bomb and they escalated me to customer retention. Great, right? Nope. I told CR I could get exactly what I currently had and maybe better for almost half my current bill. Again with the "we can reduce your service to bring your bill down" shtick. They would not budge, to my amazement.

But then I hear of people actually having success with talking to CR, so ymmv I guess. Completely depends on the rep you talk to. Best part was 1 month after I switched to FiOS, I started getting "Come back to Comcast!" mailers. Nope.

Edit: Cancelling/Resubbing under someone else's name is a legit way to do it. I could have done it with my wife's name and they said that would be ok. But they still would have made me return all my equipment and then reorder everything.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I mean Comcast sucks ass yeah, but I'm paying about $70 for 7mbs internet my stupid ass apartment requires me to have and it's awful so... I'm sure at least it's not that bad?

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I religiously call CenturyLink and DirecTV every year to lower my bill and they have given me Promo discounts every time. Sometimes I have to call a couple of times until I get a really nice person on the phone. Also, you should bring up the AT&T/DirecTV merger because I think AT&T has some crazy deal going on right now to get people to switch to DirecTV.

I wish I could get FIOS, verizon only offers freaking VDSL here and only over Wifi because phone hook up is in kitchen. So cut down a ton on the benefit and speed too which blew. Apartment is shit and planning on moving in January and going to make sure next play is fiber ready or fuck em.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Getting better/new-customer deals with comcast / Pro-tips

It seriously depends on who you talk to, i was paying $188 before taxes for 25Mbps internet and digital preferred w/ 2 boxes (1 standard, 1HD+DVR). The first guy i talked to gave me a hell of a deal and offered to up me to Blast (50Mbps), and keep my TV package w/ HBO included free for 2 years locked in for $137 after taxes, then he mentioned i can get extreme internet (105+Mbps) for $10 more, needless to say, my bill is locked in to $147 after taxes for 2 years, i don't regret it at all. You really need to keep calling and see who you get, different call centers can possibly give you pretty good deals, so it's all dependent. I also recommend calling in the morning/afternoon time just to not get outsourced. I guess it also helped to mention that i have my own modem/router and i didn't need to lease it, cuz i know their leasing prices are dumb, and a cable modem/router combo pays for itself. Good Luck!

edit: florida taxes are bullshit btw, if it wasn't for entertainment tax, my bill would be $129.

Edit 2: another thing to mention, i have a friend who used to be in a pyramid scheme company called ACN, they actually work as a 3rd party to bring deals through different providers, comcast being one of them. The deals they can give may be something you might want to look at incase you have a friend who works for that company, you'd also be helping him/her out cuz their commission is based on you paying your bill.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I get Blast(50Mbps) for $40 a month; guess I subbed at the right time. I'm going to hate life when the promo price ends. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Auspice View Post
    I get Blast(50Mbps) for $40 a month; guess I subbed at the right time. I'm going to hate life when the promo price ends. lol
    Yeah that's promo right now for new customers lol. Need a few roomates to cycle this crap around with

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Comcast just can't stop fucking up! I recently moved and was told I qualified for the $40/yr Blast deal. Never was told about a deposit or credit check. First bill comes with a $50 deposit. Call in and get told it was due to a credit check. They try to get a manager but of course they are busy. No problem, I'll just sue and get my $1000 from the FCRA laws. There is also a class action lawsuit filed in January 2015 regarding this issue. http://www.scribd.com/doc/252734088/...-Check-Lawsuit

Be aware of them doing this!

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I have TWC and I call about every 6 months to either lower my bill back down (because it went up because some promo they gave me 6 months prior wore off) or have them up my internet speed for free. It works like a charm every time...except once. I always go straight to retentions and I guess this new guy decides he's going to nut up and not play ball. I dropped the DirecTV line on him, as I do when they push back. Always works. He gave zero fucks. So I told him that I'm going call DirecTV and get a schedule and call back with a cancellation date. He said that was fine. Bastard called my bluff. So, I called theirs. I called up DirecTV, spent 30 minutes on the phone setting up an appointment. Get this shit scheduled. I call up TWC and tell them that I'd like all my service disconnected the day after my DirecTV is installed. I walked away from that phone call with a bill sliced by $20 a month and a free upgrade to 30mpbs internet (that's the second fastest). I mean, I have 2 HD DVRs, premium channels, and cable internet. They're still making bank off me and I've been with them (well, I was with Insight and TWC bought them) for about 10+ years. I don't think they want to lose loyal customers who pay their shit.

I think I'm gonna call tomorrow and drop the "cord cutter" line and see if I cannot get up to the 50mpbs package.

So comcast says after 60 days you're a "new customer" according to them. However apparently i'd have to pay "new installation" fee which apparently is fucking $99.99 lol. wth. What new installation?! I own my own modem and cables. Literally the "install" is you flipping a switch..fuck you comcast.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Just called TWC after I went snooping through my bill. Noticed I have been getting charged an extra $5 a month for the past three months for a "Home WiFi" charge. It's their modem leasing service. I own my own modem and always have. So I called, got that fixed. I told him the reason I was looking through the bills anyway was to check pricing for internet only, as I'm looking to cut cable since I already have Prime and Netflix. In order to do so, he had to connect me to customer solutions. I beat this lady up by being the nicest and kindest person, explaining that I work 12 hours a day and that I rarely watch TV and my kids pretty much stick to Netflix. My bill got dropped $10 a month and my internet speed got boosted to the max in my area (which was another 20mbps). Yay thread.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I'm paying 100 for one hd box (no dvr), Showtime, and 50/10 internet. Am I getting hosed?

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Depends on where you live. 50mbps expense is relative to your area. In a vacuum, I'd say that's a decent deal. I have 2x HD DVR, 50mbps Internet, and some premium sports package and I pay $109 a month after tax. Was paying about $120 a month for 30mbps and the same cable pack before I called today.

Yeah really depends where you are and what you have offered in your area. If you're in upstate NY you're pretty much fucking stuck with the likes of TWC in most parts, so glad i'm not there anymore. Fucking hated TWC so much..not that Comcast/Verizon are any better.

I did once have TWC try to charge me $125 to "setup" my wifi. I called them up and was like "Fuck off, I logged in and set everything up while the tech chatted with my roommate, i'm not paying a dime" and they dropped it.