Closed Thread
Page 61 of 151 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 111 ... LastLast
    Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by xElipsis View Post
    Bloodborne, Last of Us, and Uncharted?
    Perfect. I knew there was something I was missing. My PS4 has 3 games, 2 of which you just listed, haha.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Bloodborne at least isn't 1st party.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

No one asked for a portable home console, they only asked for a console that wasn't left behind by 3rd party and actually saw support from the 1st party, so the fact that any game worth a damn is only good for 2.5ish hours is ABSOLUTELY a critique. A lot of our favorite console games are not designed to be played in short bursts like they are on mobile, so without easy to access save points or states, the game becomes difficult to play truly "on the go". This is a software and game design issue more than a hardware one, and there are 101 legitimate hardware complaints to be made, but that leads into the next point which is WHERE THE FUCK IS THE SOFTWARE.

No, no one gives a shit if Sony or MS launches are never powerhouses either, Sony and MS don't have the absolutely and inarguably terrible history of lacking software support. Trying to alleviate those concerns with ONLY 2-3 launch titles is more than worrisome, it's "yeah we put off serious Wii U development for over a year and this is all we got" territory. If that doesn't send off alarms in your head, then how about we curve this back to hardware.

As a previous poster pointed out, people were looking to Nintendo's new console to be their only console, just like many people look at their PS or Xbox as their only real console; you can't do that with Nintendo but they call themselves a video game console manufacturer? I want to play 3rd party games, but I can't do that if I own a Nintendo console. Are Nintendo first party games good enough to ignore all other 3rd party console games? Honestly? No. Each Mario release has gotten more repetitive, the Zelda formula has admittedly gotten stale (Nintendo's words not mine) hence why they're trying open world, how many times are we going to remake Starfox 64, where the fuck is metroid let alone all the shit they left in Japan and never localized, the list goes on. With this track record, people have the audacity to say they buy Nintendo for the 1st party? That shit failed to show up last gen too!

What Nintendo has is a problem with trust and good faith. This is why people are up in arms over things like paying for online services, whereas when Sony threw that in their presser people were more like "well this used to be free but we're getting so much more now so I'll deal with it". I bet you Nintendo thought they'd get the same benefit of the doubt, because their hubris knows no bounds. They were wrong, just like people are wrong when they say these weaknesses aren't a big deal.

Let me put it this way, why spend time porting to the Switch your best game when it will be easier to keep your vision, and pocketbook, intact on competitors? This thing screams gimmick, and the fact that people don't see another Wii/WiiU fiasco coming from a mile away is sad.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Drai Draken
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Honestly, I'll use the switch almost exactly like I did the Wii U, play it on the main TV most of the time, and play it off the TV if I also want to have a show going on in the background as well, I can still keep it plugged in while I play it in handheld mode so the battery life is a moot point to me.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by EternityEnd View Post
    What exactly are people expecting with the Switch? I'm asking sincerely -- what were your expectations?
    I tell you what i expected from the WiiU after i passed on the Wii because Nintendo dissapointed me with their Gamecube promises: 3rd Party Support (didnt happen since N64), Online play with lobbys REAL ONLINE play not this friendcode bullshit. They still failed on that on the WiiU. If you cant get 3rd Party Support at least push out 1st or 2nd party titles... that was one big fail on the WiiU. Now this years WiiU Software 1st Party lineup was shit... and yet they failed to deliver on launch for the Switch. I am speechless!

The estimations we have of the Switch's battery life puts it on par with both the 3DSXL and the PSVita. Battery technology has advanced notably slower than other hardware proponents. The 3DSXL and PSVita have perfectly adequate battery life for handhelds.

Frankly, it's impressive that they've managed to match those benchmarks with a console that's significantly more powerful than either of them. Current technology doesn't enable the fantasies people have of a portable console with a charge that lasts all day. That wishful thinking, coupled with expectations of a console that's as powerful as a PS4... and, well, come on.
    Switch is not a handheld, it is way to big to be a handheld you just take with you like that. Sure its portable, but then why the fuck should i bother takeing a Switch with me when an IPad offers games too and a 392039023 other things... I seriously fail to see the point of this console, its underwhelming as a homeconsole and underwhelming as a portable device. its like 2 fails in one package

Incorrect. All of the hands-on reports indicate that BotW actually runs very smoothly in handheld mode. The only reported drops I've heard come in console mode.

As for critiques of its lineup, the PS4 and XB1 had nothing at launch. Is that an excuse? No. Obviously, the Switch is competing with both of those consoles years into their life cycles and library build-up. It's pertinent to keep in mind Nintendo never reveals its full lineups at this point in time, though, and we know of a handful of unannounced yet in-development games likely to come this year. Hopefully they supplement whatever launch lineup gaps they have with a more robust VC out of the door.

There are honest and informed critiques to be made of the Switch, but they are less with its hardware and more with Nintendo's pricing of its accessories and games. Charging $20 more than competitors for its pro controller; charging $40 for the console's tech demo minigame 1, 2, Switch, rather than including it with the console; charging $60 for Wii-U ports, etc.
    I was a Nintendo fanboy up until with the Gamecube... Nintendo just never delivered on their promises. The only thing that delivered was the Gameboy/DS/3DS line. Thats it. They stoped innovating and started with gimmick shit. I dont give a fuck for motion control crap.
    Dont get me wrong their software is good, but its come into age... I mean when was the last time you saw a Nintendo game and were like "omg wtf bbq sauce, something like that never existed before!"
    Zelda open world? I bet you considering Japanese Developers dont know how to make true open world games. Skyrim will still be a better open world game then Zelda BotW. When Japanese Developers say open world they mean: "Here you have 3 choices for your answer on the dialogue but it wont change shit in the game", bluntly said.
    Nintendo needed 8 fucking years to come up with Mario Maker after there was LittleBigPlanet.

In short words: I stoped believing in Nintendos bullshit promises and their IPs stoped innovating so they are becomeing meaningless for me after all those years... sadly.

I have had more fun on my XBOX360 (back) and on my PS4 now then on any Nintendo homeconsole past N64. My WiiU hasnt touched a game in 1 year...

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Switch is not a handheld, it is way to big to be a handheld you just take with you like that. Sure its portable, but then why the fuck should i bother takeing a Switch with me when an IPad offers games too and a 392039023 other things... I seriously fail to see the point of this console, its underwhelming as a homeconsole and underwhelming as a portable device. its like 2 fails in one package
    It is a handheld. Have you seen accurate size comparisons? The tablet has the same dimensions as a 3DSXL, with half the width. The joycons are detachable. Put them in a different pocket, and total area required is less than the 3DSXL.

Would I carry it that way? No. I'd probably have a bag with me in any situation I'd carry it around. But it's no less portable than the 3DSXL, which was a handheld.

The only thing that delivered was the Gameboy/DS/3DS line.
    Okay, I can go along with this (ignoring the fact that the Wii was a massive success). I'm the same way. I'm not a Nintendo fanboy. I didn't own a Wii or WiiU. Always loved handhelds, including the 3DS/Vita lines.

I'm with you on gimmicks -- they're not what I buy for. I didn't ever use the 3DS's 3D. I won't use the Switch's motion control. Guess what, though? Many games will, and many people will love it. Doesn't take away from my experience, and if we're talking about those gimmicks' hardware upping costs, I'll say that I think the $300 initial price tag is very realistic. 3DS launched at $250.

Fact of the matter is, the Switch is exactly what Nintendo needs to thrive domestically and overseas. It's the most powerful handheld device on the market, and the Japanese console market is a catastrophe. It's the sole successor to the 3DS and Vita for NA. If the Wii is anything to go by, people are willing to compromise specs for other incentives.

If Nintendo made the Switch a dedicated home console, they would fail in their domestic Japanese market, and they'd be betting on the question mark that is the NA market.

No one asked for a portable home console, they only asked for a console that wasn't left behind by 3rd party and actually saw support from the 1st party, so the fact that any game worth a damn is only good for 2.5ish hours is ABSOLUTELY a critique. A lot of our favorite console games are not designed to be played in short bursts like they are on mobile
    I'll wager that many people want a portable home console, or at least the most powerful handheld ever made. And if you think 2.5h is a "short burst"... I'm sure you'll be able to find an outlet.

As a previous poster pointed out, people were looking to Nintendo's new console to be their only console, just like many people look at their PS or Xbox as their only real console; you can't do that with Nintendo but they call themselves a video game console manufacturer? I want to play 3rd party games, but I can't do that if I own a Nintendo console.
    As I've said, the Switch is the sole successor to the 3DS and Vita. It will have at least as much support as those two markets had, and since we can count on 3rd parties like Bethesda giving at least token support, it should have more. Will it have the specific 3rd party games you want? Maybe not, but you may as well preclude the XB1 if we're going that far.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Rumor floating around that Nintendo has purchased Platinum straight out.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

The estimations we have of the Switch's battery life puts it on par with both the 3DSXL and the PSVita.
    Really? Long as the 3DS? Mine seems to last quite awhile. My Vita on the other hand seems like it glutton for the battery life.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    Really? Long as the 3DS? Mine seems to last quite awhile. My Vita on the other hand seems like it glutton for the battery life.
    Yep. Both the 3DS XL and the PSVita officially have 3-5hr battery lives.

The Switch's battery life is 2.5-6.5hrs.

Whatever differences you're perceiving in the 3DS and Vita are due to the games you're playing and the analytical bias of "seems/feels."

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Official battery life estimates for any electronics have and will always be compete bullshit.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    You have to be fucking shitting me.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Official battery life estimates for any electronics have and will always be compete bullshit.
    It's nice to know nothing but conspiracy and rumor has validity in conversation.

Those 3DSXL and PSVita estimations are accurate. Official word has Zelda lasting 3 hours. Considering the facts, there's no reason to doubt the battery estimations.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Where are you seeing this? A quick search found a letter to Metro UK saying that they should.

I think they'll die under Nintendo, but there's also a chance that Scalebound could come back. Obviously not under the same name and drastically changed to avoid lawsuits from Microsoft since they own the IP.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    No one asked for a portable home console, they only asked for a console that wasn't left behind by 3rd party and actually saw support from the 1st party, so the fact that any game worth a damn is only good for 2.5ish hours is ABSOLUTELY a critique.
    Not really. If you want more than 2.5 hours, just play it in the dock connected to a TV and bam, you have unlimited hours of play. The proper comparison to make is the 2.5-6 hours of portable Switch gameplay time to the 0.0 hours of portable PS4/XBONE gameplay time.

Now, you can make the argument that portability is not worth the necessary horsepower sacrifices, or that the tablet is too big, or that console games typically don't lend themselves to stop-and-go portable gameplay, and that's fine; those are all reasonable points. But to criticize the Switch because it only has (a minimum of) 2.5 hours portable gameplay time misses the point that the competition has none at all. (Unless you're comparing it to the Vita, in which case the horsepower argument gets flipped on its head.)

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwi...s_love_affair/

Found the source of the rumor and it's as flimsy as it gets.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    Not really. If you want more than 2.5 hours, just play it in the dock connected to a TV and bam, you have unlimited hours of play. The proper comparison to make is the 2.5-6 hours of portable Switch gameplay time to the 0.0 hours of portable PS4/XBONE gameplay time.

Now, you can make the argument that portability is not worth the necessary horsepower sacrifices, or that the tablet is too big, or that console games typically don't lend themselves to stop-and-go portable gameplay, and that's fine; those are all reasonable points. But to criticize the Switch because it only has (a minimum of) 2.5 hours portable gameplay time misses the point that the competition has none at all. (Unless you're comparing it to the Vita, in which case the horsepower argument gets flipped on its head.)
    Technically, the vita competes (in Japan haha)

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Yep. Both the 3DS XL and the PSVita officially have 3-5hr battery lives.

The Switch's battery life is 2.5-6.5hrs.

Whatever differences you're perceiving in the 3DS and Vita are due to the games you're playing and the analytical bias of "seems/feels."
    Would using 3D mode drain the battery faster by any chance? Since I keep that thing off since it's more of a migraine than anything for me.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Yeah, it was just a rumor in regards to Nintendo and Platinum. My only source was a contact I have through the Georgia Game Developers Association, but it wasn't much better than the link 6souls posted.

Would still be interesting though, and explain why scale bound ended up in development hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    Would using 3D mode drain the battery faster by any chance? Since I keep that thing off since it's more of a migraine than anything for me.
    Yes, it'll drain the battery a little less than twice as fast.