Closed Thread
Page 60 of 151 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 110 ... LastLast
    Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

More like "use our Skype knockoff that you have to have a monthly subscription for to talk to your friends."

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I know Nintendo makes some stupid decisions, but I'm sure they'll offer more than a paid Skype. Maybe the ability to force the Switch to party up or connect to online games using your device. It'll have functions I'm sure, but for why they couldn't just put that shit ONTO THE FUCKING $300 TABLET THEY'RE MAKING YOU BUY is beyond me...

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Sony President Shuhei Yoshida at the Japanese Switch event
    Spoiler: show

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    I mean you can have your opinion but why do you have to act like Nintendo is always right and all. You seem to think the switch is perfect and has no issues.
    I mean I guess you can have your opinion that that is how I am acting.

But I don't see some of the issues as "bad" as you or others do.

I don't care about graphical fidelity as much as others due to caring more about gameplay and story (hence my love for JRPGs, which outside mainline FF13 are not graphical powerhouses). Also, as for launch line issues, I don't really care because all I cared about was Zelda anyway. I never expected another big-title release at launch because it would have to compete with Zelda. And I've never seen any console launch with games I care about (I waited for both PS3/PS4 for these reasons). As for releases this fall, I have to assume stuff is being saved for E3. To blow your load and leave nothing for E3 would be terrible.

Regardless, I see a good amount of titles to have me excited: Zelda (which technically I already have a Wii U), Mario, Splatoon 2 (if they add true party mechanics), Project Octopath, Xenoblade 2, New SMT game

As for charging, I have USB outlets in the car, every airport has UBS outlets everywhere, planes have plugins at every seat, and conventions have charging stations everywhere. I just don't see a time when I wouldn't be able to sit down and charge it for 15-20 minutes.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    Holy crap the battery life is that bad?
    What exactly are people expecting with the Switch? I'm asking sincerely -- what were your expectations?

The estimations we have of the Switch's battery life puts it on par with both the 3DSXL and the PSVita. Battery technology has advanced notably slower than other hardware proponents. The 3DSXL and PSVita have perfectly adequate battery life for handhelds.

Frankly, it's impressive that they've managed to match those benchmarks with a console that's significantly more powerful than either of them. Current technology doesn't enable the fantasies people have of a portable console with a charge that lasts all day. That wishful thinking, coupled with expectations of a console that's as powerful as a PS4... and, well, come on.

Pretty sure it's also been reported the game is struggling to stay at 30 even in tablet mode.
    Incorrect. All of the hands-on reports indicate that BotW actually runs very smoothly in handheld mode. The only reported drops I've heard come in console mode.

As for critiques of its lineup, the PS4 and XB1 had nothing at launch. Is that an excuse? No. Obviously, the Switch is competing with both of those consoles years into their life cycles and library build-up. It's pertinent to keep in mind Nintendo never reveals its full lineups at this point in time, though, and we know of a handful of unannounced yet in-development games likely to come this year. Hopefully they supplement whatever launch lineup gaps they have with a more robust VC out of the door.

There are honest and informed critiques to be made of the Switch, but they are less with its hardware and more with Nintendo's pricing of its accessories and games. Charging $20 more than competitors for its pro controller; charging $40 for the console's tech demo minigame 1, 2, Switch, rather than including it with the console; charging $60 for Wii-U ports, etc.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

The Joy Cons are over priced as hell. I think it's $50 for 1 or $80 for a 2 pack.

Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by EternityEnd View Post
    What exactly are people expecting with the Switch? I'm asking sincerely -- what were your expectations
    I don't know about expectations because lol @ expecting anything different from Nintendo, but I think a lot of people have been hoping to be able to make a Nintendo console their primary home machine for a while now. Nintendo's first party lineup and exclusives absolutely blow away their competitors' and if all three consoles were equally powerful and lacked significant barriers to third party support, Nintendo would have the most desirable home console bar none (which is important for people who aren't willing to throw down cash on multiple home devices in the same generation).

As is, Nintendo has once again put consumers in a position where we'll have to drop money on both a "real" console/gaming PC and a Nintendo console to play games. They've added expensive extra features that no other console supports which I'm sure will see plenty of use in first party tech demos and the occasional Mario game, but likely won't receive any special attention from third party developers (HD Rumble?) resulting in increased hardware prices for occasional and marginal benefits.

It's like having to buy a Macbook every few years if Apple suddenly became a top tier first party game developer and didn't license any of their shit for Windows. Oh, and boot camp and multi booting options didn't exist.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Incorrect. All of the hands-on reports indicate that BotW actually runs very smoothly in handheld mode. The only reported drops I've heard come in console mode.
    People have linked the Digital Foundry video of them discussing the game in it's associated thread and they talk about framerate drops in tablet mode in like the first minute. It's also been mentioned in quite a few other outlets, but they could just be quoting the Digital Foundry stuff because lolgamejournalism. And aside, it's gotten fucking insulting that 30fps is now declared "smooth"

And you can fucking 100% critique the goddamn hardware in this thing. First party launch game that can't even maintain 30 fps in 900p? How many people have been giving the Xbone shit for that kind of stuff since day 1, but because it's Nintendo it's cool?

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    People have linked the Digital Foundry video of them discussing the game in it's associated thread and they talk about framerate drops in tablet mode in like the first minute. It's also been mentioned in quite a few other outlets, but they could just be quoting the Digital Foundry stuff because lolgamejournalism. And aside, it's gotten fucking insulting that 30fps is now declared "smooth"

And you can fucking 100% critique the goddamn hardware in this thing. First party launch game that can't even maintain 30 fps in 900p? How many people have been giving the Xbone shit for that kind of stuff since day 1, but because it's Nintendo it's cool?
    Pretty sure the 900p rumor was an extrapolation based on an old build, and that it's been confirmed from actual Nintendo reps that BotW runs at 1080p in console mode.

And that's the crux of the argument. That criticism is based in rumor and not fact or official sources.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Where has Nintendo officially said it will run at 1080p? I've seen claims that they want 1080p/60, but given the current state of the game that appears downright impossible. Alternatively there are multiple sources citing 900p

And before someone chimes in with "old build the current one is better", why would Nintendo intentionally be showing off the game with a shitty build that can't even maintain 30fps if it wasn't indicative of the soon to be finished product?

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

The only thing that can 'debunk' DF thingy atm is that there's a rumour that

Treeshouse BOTW version was 1.2 while the version people played in the events was just a WIIU updated for switch version

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Treeshouse BOTW version was 1.2 while the version people played in the events was just a WIIU updated for switch version
    But that goes back to what I just said, why would they show off an inferior version of the game to the public knowing it would cause a shitstorm? Or are Nintendo and their hardcore fanboys just so blind that they decided it doesn't matter?

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    Nintendo's first party lineup and exclusives absolutely blow away their competitors'
    I can't even begin to dissect how ridiculous this statement is...lmfao.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    But that goes back to what I just said, why would they show off an inferior version of the game to the public knowing it would cause a shitstorm? Or are Nintendo and their hardcore fanboys just so blind that they decided it doesn't matter?
    Only 'logical' thing i would say is that they rushed it

But it's not a valid idea lol

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    To a degree it's a correct statement. The value of the Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, Kirby, and Metroid (lol), etc franchises are enormous. While there will be individual exclusives for the various systems that are better games, no brand can sell their hardware better then Nintendo based solely on the promise of exclusives.

What exactly are people expecting with the Switch? I'm asking sincerely -- what were your expectations?

The estimations we have of the Switch's battery life puts it on par with both the 3DSXL and the PSVita. Battery technology has advanced notably slower than other hardware proponents. The 3DSXL and PSVita have perfectly adequate battery life for handhelds.
    Yeah, I wonder this too. 2.5-5h of battery life for game playing puts it in the same category as the *best* phones and tablets on the market(which is a fairer comparison than comparing it to like GBA or other old tech with long batteries).

I think most people don't actually run intensive 3D games on their phones/tablets and realize that, for instance, the battery on an ipad air or android equivalent only lasts 2-3 hours from 100%.

So from my perspective the battery thing is people seeking out things to complain about, and when they rage about this they look like fools because *no-one* is doing significantly better in this arena; the only tablet that gets better battery life is some of the 13-15inch tablets(like the iPad Pro, Surfaces, etc), and that's because they're so big they can physically fit a huge battery.

There's plenty of legitimate complaints, this really isn't one of them.

Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    Pray tell what PS4 exclusives I'm missing out on that can trample Nintendo's powerhouse IPs. I only mention PS4 because it's my understanding that XBONE dropped out of the console exclusive game to make everything work on Windows as well.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Bloodborne, Last of Us, and Uncharted?

edit: I don't care about the argument. I'm just naming good PS exclusives...

edit 2: Has Nintendo responded to the outcry/hate/salty tears? I figured they would introduce a bunch of shitty shit, then say 'oh hey we fixed all of that' then make millions from the haters.

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Here is the video showing the Floor Demo Version as Ver.12S (bottom right)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VSN...youtu.be&t=27s

Here is the Treehouse Live Version as 1.0.0 (bottom right)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qadz...u.be&t=4h24m4s

Treehouse has access to what is believe to be the full game, while the show floor version was a demo that was locked to 20 min of gameplay.