+ Reply to Thread
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

FL to CA road trip, any advice?

Leaving in about 6 hours to drive with some friends from South Florida to SoCal. Anyone have any tips on anything to see/do/eat on the way or once we get there. Cant stray too far since we have to be in cali by Friday night.

This is the route we have come up with for the trip http://tinyurl.com/nz8we6c
    This is my first time leaving the east coast so anything neat to see or try would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

It's worth spending a day and a night at NOLA. There's lots to do but definitely get your grub on with local food while there. Four years ago around this time I was able to get a great deal at the NOLA Marriott for like $120 a night so shop around if you haven't got a place already.

It might be worth it to push through to Austin next instead of San Antonio if you want another city to tour.

What are you plans for CA. I'm local to Ontario and can give you a thumbs up/down to your preliminary plans.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Drop by my house on the way out if you're coming from south fl lol

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I was going to say Carlsbad Caverns, since it's so out of the way for most trips but not this one, but it looks like you're already going there. If you can pin down the day and book a trip in advance, do one of the smaller, off-the-beaten-path tours for 12 people or so. They're far more intimate than the giant group tours.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

CARLSBAD CAVERNS! Looked at your trip map and it looks like it's a destination? Definitely make a stop if it isn't already. If you have an extra night, Austin is an awesome city; hangout at one of the rooftop bars on 6th street, kick back with some Lone Stars, and listen to live music.

I did an 8,000 mile road trip around the U.S. three years ago starting in Charlotte, NC. Your route out to CA is basically the same one I took on the way back (LAX > Grand Canyon > Albuquerque > Carlsbad > Austin); I drove along a higher parallel on the way out (Nashville > St. Louis > Kansas City > Denver > LA). The good news is that driving across the country is a great time and an experience I believe everyone should have once. The bad news is that your New Orleans to Carlsbad route is one of the most desolate portions of the United States. Southern New Mexico and Western Texas are particularly bad; you will literally only see ranches, gas stations (not that often, be careful and fill up regularly), and podunk villages for most of it. You don't have a lot of leeway though given the Friday arrival time, so good luck and bring some good music.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

seconding NOLA for at least one night. Two if you have never been.

^ I didn't plan on staying in Baton Rouge, but the car started over heating in NOLA and finally died in BR. Both places had some of the nicest people I ever met. People that actually stopped to ask if everything was ok with my car on the freeway.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Slynkee View Post
    Leaving in about 6 hours to drive with some friends from South Florida to SoCal. Anyone have any tips on anything to see/do/eat on the way or once we get there. Cant stray too far since we have to be in cali by Friday night.

This is the route we have come up with for the trip http://tinyurl.com/nz8we6c
    This is my first time leaving the east coast so anything neat to see or try would be greatly appreciated.
    6 hours of lead time? Jeez brah. Stop in New Orleans. Stop in Austin. Go to Floribama. Don't get killed in narco violence on the rest of your journey.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Glad to see New Orleans and Carlsbad are so highly recommended. We are going to Cali because Im one of the people that run a place called Versus Gaming and we are hosting a big national smash bros tournament at the Ontario convention center. I didn't think to ask bg for opinions until right before I went to sleep but the whole first day of driving is just through FL for 10 hours so won't start seeing anything new. Looking forward to good food for the rest of the trip hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Slynkee View Post
    whole first day of driving is just through FL for 10 hours
    This is one of my main points of contention for living in Miami. It's bad enough driving straight north on 95, even worse having to drive west on the panhandle on top of that. Every state after that feels like you're going at lightspeed. YOU GYZ DON'T EVEN KNOW! (Maybe S.Californians driving up to Washington...)

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Man I lived around Carlsbad for forever and never went to Carlsbad Caverns. I guess I should check it out.

[Edit] ahhh I guess that's 'cause it is in New Mexico, not socal Carlsbad lol.

Oceanside Pier is a great beach if you wanted to check one out.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Disneyland is better than Disney World imo, but if you've been to DW a lot in FL its probably not worth it.

You should go to one beach, I'd recommend Newport or Santa Monica. The Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific is also worth an afternoon.

Always lots of different things to do in L.A. depending on your tastes (Universal Studios, Hollywood tours, L.A. Live shows/events)

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    Disneyland is better than Disney World imo
    How is this possible?

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    How is this possible?
    Disneyland is spread over approximately 500 acres while Disney World is spread over nearly 25,000 acres. Therefore Park hopping is actually not worth it with the transportation logistics. Getting the most out of Disney World means multiple day resort style stays and is super expensive.

And the park per buck payoff is bad on top of that. Disneyland and California Adventure together have 80 attractions and Disney World's main four have 111 (excludes the two water parks). But when you take away shows and other non-rides it's 46 rides at Disney World and 52 at Disneyland and California Adventure.

Animal Kingdom is fun, but nothing you can't get at another zoo.

My girlfriend is a huge Disney fanatic, and I took her to Disney World when I had a work conference there. She was very disappointed and we both agreed Disneyland was better.

I've been to DW since I grew up in FL but I've lived in SD for 3 years and not gone to DL cause I thought it was the suck in comparison. You just sold a day trip though, now I wanna see it!

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

California Adventure is also easily the most adult oriented park, but if you are a coaster fanatic then Six Flags will always be a better use of your money than a Disney Park.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Id like to compare DL to DW myself but won't have the time with the tournament taking up saturday and sunday. But looking like we will be in cali early on Friday with nothing to do until saturday morning work wise

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Just a tip for the trip itself. People should have their own rooms at whatever motels you're staying at. Spending 8+ hours in a car with everyone for multiple days can start to wear on people. Had a friend who did a similar trip and there are still people not talking to each other years later.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I see you've got the south rim pegged from Flagstaff. If you've got some extra Arizona hours, Sedona is really pretty along with Jerome & the Verde Valley if you continue along Hwy 89-A. That stretch is some of the prettiest driving I've seen - bonus points on a motorcycle. You can take that road all the way to Prescott and then bounce north back to I-40.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

If there's time to reroute, I'd drive through Utah if possible. Utah's also really beautiful. Lot of scenic routes between Arizona and Utah.