Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Worlds 2015     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

They're meant to be free wins. Just because someone shits the bed and loses to them doesn't mean that isn't their purpose. And if a team can't play with a level of consistency that they drop a game to the free win teams, why would you even want them to be in brackets apart from fanboy-ism?

Yes, they are still really, really good teams, they made it to Worlds in the first place. But the point of Worlds is only the best few teams from each region even come, and half of them don't even make it to brackets. The wildcard teams are definitively a notch below the actual contenders.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

my bad, i figured worlds was set up to represent the 16 best teams, not the 12 best, 2 middle of the pack and 2 sub-challenger level. guess i'll stop posting on that subject as i did not understand riots intention when they decided to host international tournaments

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    my bad, i figured worlds was set up to represent the 16 best teams, not the 12 best, 2 middle of the pack and 2 sub-challenger level. guess i'll stop posting on that subject as i did not understand riots intention when they decided to host international tournaments
    It's almost like they want to draw the biggest audience possible.

Nah.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

and can you imagine the shit the NFL NBA or MLB would take if they would do the same?

oh you mean like the NFL having games held in england and the NBA having games held in china?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

how is venue even remotely applicable in this argument...? especially when i'm clearly talking about playoffs

oh yeah i forgot you're a brick wall, nevermind carry on

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

from 2013-14-15 wildcard teams have an overall record of 3-31. that's about the statistics that a pro goes when climbing from unranked to diamond

their wins are kabuum over alliance, pain over flash wolves and gg.eu over TSM. the only team there that was an upset is probably kabuum over alliance, TSM trolled the gg.eu game iirc by picking teemo and flash wolves were severly over hyped on top of the fact that pain is still the best wildcard to ever be at worlds.
    Yeah, that overhyped team that held a strong lead on CLG and beat KOO Tigers.

You have to be trolling now. Like classic trolling. Like faking at making an argument just to argue.

You are like a horrific combination of BRP and mazmaz.

Now call me a white knight again and the cycle shall be complete!

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Actually, that has never really been the case. "Worlds" in most sports almost always have regional qualifiers where teams from regions that would be superior are sometimes not included to make sure that all regions have participants.

I mean come on man, just stop.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

and can you imagine the shit the NFL NBA or MLB would take if they would do the same?
    Almost EVERY SINGLE YEAR, the MLB has had teams that don't make the playoffs even though they have superior records to the teams in the other league.

Also, something to consider. Pain has more wins than LGD. Should China lose a spot at worlds?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    Yeah, that overhyped team that held a strong lead on CLG and beat KOO Tigers.

You have to be trolling now. Like classic trolling. Like faking at making an argument just to argue.

You are like a horrific combination of BRP and mazmaz.

Now call me a white knight again and the cycle shall be complete!
    record doesn't lie, 3-31 overall. can't really argue with that. my guess is that will be inflated to 3-37. let me drop a meme for you, they are just "unlucky"

sorry but wildcards are like putting a highschool team in the playoffs of any sport. please learn to respond in 1 post, idk why you triple post so often

& sorry chazzy, venue is completely irrelevant i have no idea why you even brought it

edit: missed your post about worlds in other sports, also not really comparable since worlds in other sports is usually an Olympics type deal, i don't think this is comparable to worlds in league of legends

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

edit: missed your post about worlds in other sports, also not really comparable since worlds in other sports is usually an Olympics type deal, i don't think this is comparable to worlds in league of legends
    How about the biggest sports tournament on the planet? The World Cup always has some garbage teams in groups that qualified just by being in a weak region. The LOL Worlds format is nearly identical to the World Cup format, just scaled down because there are fewer teams in LOL.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

i guess FIFA and riot are relatively similar.

i don't follow soccer, and i wasn't really comparing things that happen once every 4 years, that's why i mentioned the olympics thing. but whatever

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

Why would you compare NA leagues (NFL, NBA, MLB) instead of world cups (IIHF WC, FIBA WBC, WBC), where they do exactly the same as Riot?

You don't even have to go for world cups, just international events in sports like Champions/Europa League. None of those are picking the teams only from regions which are considered the best.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

i don't follow soccer, and i wasn't really comparing things that happen once every 4 years, that's why i mentioned the olympics thing. but whatever
    There's also hockey.

Shootin' rocks at monsters
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

You mean like when the Seahawks and Panthers made the playoffs with losing records, coming out of incredibly weak divisions? Yeah, I remember that.

I also remember the crap the NFL got when it played a championship game with the AFL. And the first couple of years, MAN, the AFL got destroyed. Then-- and this is key-- one AFL team won. And then another.

Every group is garbage until and unless they do well. That's nothing new. When you're growing the game, you give the outside nobodies a shot, because it increases exposure, and it increases interest in those areas as soon as one of them does well. That's the point.

The NFL has wanted to have teams in Europe for YEARS now; the biggest problem there is logistics.

The NFL had wild cards for more than a decade before the Raiders won as a wild card. Then it took another 15~ years for the Broncos to do it again. Wild cards are, by definition, less good, long-shots, but potential entertainment and upsets. Even if they don't win the whole thing, their ability to impact the tournament as a whole is... wait for it... like they're a wild card. OMG!

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

For the wildcard/weak team thing I have a perfect example! The Federations Cup (Soccer) in 2013 was like a mini worlds/MSI for a handful of countries involved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22896367

Spain, the then world champions, were grouped with Tahiti, a country a lot of people weren't even aware of that has a football team, who qualified via the Oceania Cup in their region.

Unfortunately, it was a massive mismatch, with Spain ending the game with 10 goals to 0, but the fans were probably all 90% Tahiti for that game.

I personally enjoy seeing mismatched games.

1. The curbstomp
    2. The difference in skill
    3. Cheering for the underdog is fun
    4. Quite heartwarming
    5. I like to think the underdog team takes away a massive learning experience from it; what if it forces them to train so hard that they become a dark horse the next tournament?

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

So much trolling, so little time.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    I personally enjoy seeing mismatched games.

1. The curbstomp
    2. The difference in skill
    This is most of what I enjoy about it. Just seeing the high end teams completely dismantle the weaker underdog teams really goes to show how good the middle-tier teams are for even making matches remotely close or last longer than 30 minutes.

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

All the group A games are played today, starting in 15-20 mins.

If CLG beat FW they get out of groups.
    If they lose to KOO and lose to FW they can be eliminated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast