• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Recommandation Client (work) PC upgrade to Windows 10

Client wants to upgrade all his 250 PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 due to the free upgrade. All the PC they have, have Windows 10 Compatible drivers so that should be OK

My question is, their domain is windows 2008 R2 servers (they don't plan to upgrade to 2012 R2) How well does Windows 10 Pro work with windows 2008 R2 servers

Domain wise
    GPO wise (I heard W10 Pro GPO is really different then W7)

Thanks all!

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

We started testing this about a month ago, we're not quite that big (only about 110 clients). We have a hodgepodge of servers from 2003 to 2012 R2, the DCs are both 2008 R2, planning massive upgrades when 16 arrives. We haven't run into any issues yet, but we haven't tinkered too much with distributing policies. Thus far, it's been scarily smooth.

BG Level

Yeah i'm mostly worried about stuff like GPO on W10 and stuff like that

i'll see if we can install a VM W10 and add it to the domain see if it all works

Most the GPOs will stay the same. You can download and import the new GPO settings if you want to so you can control things like Cortana and the store. You won't have any issues joining the 2008R2 domain.

BG Level

So most of the stuff works exept drive mapping

My boss uses a hand made VBS login script that automaticly connects the share drives/printers depending on which AD group the user is in

On W10, the script works, it installs the printers, and pass the drive mapping, but no drive are mapped.

I can't give the code, but anyone know if there's been a change from W7 to W10 for Drive mapping scrips?

What command is he using and why not just do a GPO if you're already separating by group...?

BG Level

He's using MapuserDevices and MapDrive with the call command

And he wants to use scrips because he's a control freak, and want as much stuff as possible be made by him the way he wants it and to rely as less as possible on stuff he 'cannot control' like GPO

He prefers using GPO to limits access on PC, but for mapping and adding features he wants scripts

BG Level

Ok found my issue ignore this

BG Level

Ok update on the problem if it helps people

The W10 is an enterprise trial (90days) that has build 10240

After doing tests it seems that there is a delay after login before map drives can be correctly mapped

My situation again is that script works #1 but doesn't connect drives, So i tried to add drives manually with a command prompt and doing net use z: \\server\share Prompt says commanded worked successfully but drive doesn't add itself and if i do z: on file explorer it says the drive doesn't exit. And then if I tried the net use z: again it says the drive already exist.

I've calculated that after exactly 3 minutes of login, if i use the net use command THEN the drive shows and work and the script ALSO connect the drives, but only after 3 minutes .

After searching online, alot seems to have the problem. Solution found was to add this in Regedit

1. Open regedit
    2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> Policies -> System
    3. On the right, you will see ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin, ConsentPromptBehaviorUser ... etc.
    4. click on empty space, ADD DWORD(32bit), then name it "EnableLinkedConnections". Double click it and set the data to 1.
    5. Reboot and you will see the mapped drives showing.

Now the script takes like 1minute to finish running, but the drives shows. it seems to be a W10 issue, and hope it will be fixed soon

Edit : on my personal PC that is W10 Pro (no build on screen) I don't have that issue

So I wonder if it's the build version I have that's an issue or what getting confused

My PC is W10 pro workgroup while the other is W10 enterprise on AD domain 2008 R2

BG Level

It's me again, It seems that the problem wasn't solved back then, I made some research and found out that Microsoft added some security to Windows 10, that doesn't let it connect to \\domain\sysvol and \\domain\netlogon for 2-3 minutes after boot. They seem to have done it for security purposes

I find this might be important if more wanna upgrade to Windows 10 here is the documentation if you need it

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3000483

To do it you

1) Create or use an existing GPO
    2) Go to Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Network/Network Provider and go to Hardened UNC Paths
    3) Enable to Policy and scroll down to show and add these info
    a) In the value name field add \\*\Sysvol and in value add RequireMutualAuthentication=1, RequireIntegrity=1
    b) In a 2nd value name line add \\*\Netlogon and in the value add RequireMutualAuthentication=1, RequireIntegrity=1

This fixed it for me