1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 19 hours, 33 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 4 hours, 26 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 12 hours, 33 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 21 hours, 26 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    I still say they should have slapped in Mog House with 2 floors and a private Island and go to town on adding new features. Since with the exception of floor 2, it did come out prior to XIV's housing so they had time to "port over" that system seeing as the inn room already adds the necessary framework since there's never been a time there were "too many people" using an inn room that you were prevented entry or being able to actually activate it.

And if there was....

No wonder even the chinese disapproved of the game lol.
    1.0 literally had the inn room in Ul'dah closed off, then added a "back door" because it was too congested or some shit. I wish I was making this up.

Aside while I'm remembering: 1.0 let you set an inn room as a 2nd Return point in addition to whatever your homepoint was.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    the inn room already adds the necessary framework since there's never been a time there were "too many people" using an inn room that you were prevented entry or being able to actually activate it.
    The reason why the inn room never has "too many people" is because there's no custom data to load. If they were to instance housing that allowed furniture, you could indeed run into that stupid "too many people" error that keeps you from entering your house sometimes. It means it doesn't have the capacity to spin up another zone with a custom furniture layout. Actually now that I think about it, it's probably because it supports any number of people inside, so it has to spin up a brand new zone on the fly.

If I had to guess, the inn room is likely implemented just like the instanced MSQ quest giving zones (see: the house of Fortemps in Ishgard). It's secretly a single zone, and everyone's using the same one, it's just that the ability to see/hear/interact with the other people in the same zone is disabled, so it feels like you're alone.

Edit: Now that I think more on it, they probably could implement it that way as long as they didn't allow other people in your instanced house (or made you jump through hoops like XI did). Surely loading a furniture layout isn't too taxing, since XI did it just fine.

/ArmchairDeveloper

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    If I had to guess, the inn room is likely implemented just like the instanced MSQ quest giving zones (see: the house of Fortemps in Ishgard). It's secretly a single zone, and everyone's using the same one, it's just that the ability to see/hear/interact with the other people in the same zone is disabled, so it feels like you're alone.
    It didn't used to be this way though; Waking Sands used to have dozens of people in there back in actual-2.0. I don't recall when they switched over to "secret" not-instances.

It really killed the tension of having the place be trashed when 50 other adventurers were running around, so it's understandable. I sure wouldn't have wanted to see 100 other people standing around Minfilia's office while Moenbryda was on the ground and a big fucking portal was open.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Yep. I know in Xi they just stacked copies on each other, which is why you had the GLORIOUS glitches where you can have tier III Einherjar bosses spawning ontop of Tier I bosses for some pretty hilarious situations..(though your run was fucked if you weren't ready to handle it lol.) So that's why I still wouldn't have minded it since with newer technology, logically they could do it better but it just needs the frame work.

1.0's was interesting especially given all the limitations it had of the engine/servers. I know these days loading in XI was slightly increased in order to get around some stuff but with a modern platform it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    Is it a big deal? No.
    "it's not a big deal that the devs are willing to delete a 200mill gil investment if you unsub for 2 months"

ok bro

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I don't know what your point was supposed to be, but no, it's not a big deal. Play or don't.

"How dare you take away something I put so much time and effort into in a game that I.. no longer feel like putting time or effort into."

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    I don't know what your point was supposed to be, but no, it's not a big deal. Play or don't.

"How dare you take away something I put so much time and effort into in a game that I.. no longer feel like putting time or effort into."
    It just runs contrary to Yoshi's prior statement that we should be able to un-sub and re-sub when we want without feeling pressured to keep playing. It's not so much about ^ that.

The devs can take a vacation.

But not the players.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

And in all fairness, that statement applies to most aspects of this game. Cherrypicking the first example of disuasion from unsubbing isn't particularly fair.

And moreover the, "I'm going to lose hundreds of millions of gil because of this" thing applies to a very small number of people

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    And moreover the, "I'm going to lose hundreds of millions of gil because of this" thing applies to a very small number of people
    So does owning a house.

How bout that?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Being a fraction of a fraction doesn't change much. Proportionately, very few people who use housing are going to be negatively affected by this

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

I mean, the devs already replace all your gear every six months, why is it so surprising they delete your house ???

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    I mean, the devs already replace all your gear every six months, why is it so surprising they delete your house ???
    Well played, Rocl.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    Replace =/= delete. I couldn't give two fucks if the replaced my house with a better one, even if I had to pay moar gils.

Housing not a big deal to get pissy over IMO. I'd say at least 80 or 90% of you bros would not quit the game with Housing being the main reason.
    I look to it as time and gil, personally. We could shift it to taking care of chocobos, gear upkeep, or some other needlessly complicated system and I'd still be unhappy with people losing effort simply because they decided not to play for a few months.

This is also one of those instances where I feel the subscription model blinds people toward the situation of others. It's a perpetual (sub-)conscious attempt to justify continued investment, that they deserve XYZ even though the people they're willing to walk over had also paid in the past, and maybe moreso through the cash shop and/or mules. I started browsing the OF when this issue hit my radar and the sad reality is that the total number of houses available is like below 2% of the projected active player base. So, while some use that as an excuse for the demolition process, what I see is housing turning into a form of NM camping or the more... er... enterprising scooping up houses to sell to others at a mark-up. SE has done nothing to actually remedy the issue of supply relative to demand, they're only redistributing their minimal supply. And if we further consider that older games, and F2P ones at that, have "solved" this issue in their own ways, well, it makes their choice seem all the more confounding.

"But fuck dem squatters, Imma get a house!" Or so they want to believe.

Yea, that's another thing.

Other than a few initial opportunities I don't see this system vacating a significant number of plots, at all.

It's not a solution, it's barely even a band-aid.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Yea, that's another thing.

Other than a few initial opportunities I don't see this system vacating a significant number of plots, at all.

It's not a solution, it's barely even a band-aid.
    it's not supposed to be a solution to the plot shortage (or at least i hope the devs don't think it is a solution).

the problem it does and should seek to solve are dead housing wards. housing wards should be a lot more lively with more people traversing them. though this is only half the solution to that problem as well, there needs to be more stuff to do in and around the house besides gardening and hourly choco feeding (which some people like me finished almost 6 months ago).

but they also can't put too many dev resources into making housing better when most people don't have houses.

Quote Originally Posted by layoneil View Post
    but they also can't put too many dev resources into making housing better when most people don't have houses.
    "we only made enough houses for 2% of the population, and since so few people have houses we can't really put any resources into making more houses"

Yeah, this vision of a lively neighborhood of houses falls flat to the reality of development and resources. I get it from the RP perspective, sure, but when that vision is keeping content from the remaining 98%? Time for a new plan. The fact it even got green lit boggles my mind unless someone seriously thought, "If we make it expensive enough, people will stop caring!" Au contraire, it makes them care more.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    The fact it even got green lit boggles my mind unless someone seriously thought, "If we make it expensive enough, people will stop caring!" Au contraire, it makes them care more.
    the fact what got green lit? reclamation or wards in general?