1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 21 hours, 28 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 2 hours, 31 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 14 hours, 28 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 19 hours, 31 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Also, I love that Wildstar doesn't have CD's because when you wipe you just eat and pull haha.

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Quote Originally Posted by Uryuu View Post
    You make it sound so simple, yet so many are stuck on A3S. More than were ever stuck on a raid before I'd wager.
    Armchair experts.

Of course I do, comparatively I don't think XIV is difficult. The worst people in our old raid groups have cleared or are on A4S. I'm not worried about my personal ability to do any of the things I mentioned, therefor the raid can't be "that hard" nor am I precluded from the ol' "git gud".

Raids are raids man, no games have a monopoly on what's hardest or not, just different strokes.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by W* DS 20 Man Guide
    Avatus is a nightmare of a boss. Its looooong. The fastest possible kill time on it is about 15 minutes, and longer pulls can take 20 minutes or more. There are lots and lots of ways to die, and most of them are near enough to instant kills that healers or tanks can’t really carry anyone. Add to this the fact that in a first kill situation you can only lose one or two players with small roles and still have a hope of killing the boss and you can see why Avatus is such a pain. 15 minutes + lots of ways to instantly die + 18 players minimum required to kill boss = pain in the ass. Even the most experienced guild can end up spending hours just trying to get enough players to survive to the end so they can kill the boss. That’s the bad news. Not to even mention the final phase stupid RNG fest dps check.

The good news is that Avatus is extreeeemly predictable. There is little enough RNG in the fight to call it negligible. It is all hard scripted, which means that at any given point you almost certainly know what is going to happen next. Therein lies both Avatus’ difficulty and its path to triumph. For a guild without any prior knowledge of the fight, Avatus takes many days or even weeks to learn everything about the fight. This is because you first must learn about a phase, then master that phase, then move on to the next phase, learn that phase, then master that phase, then move to the next phase, etc. Each time you progress to the next phase, you are adding minutes to each pull. So eventually you start spending 5-10 minutes per pull to get to a phase you have never seen before and need to learn. But you can only get to the newest phase once every 10 pulls because people keep dieing. And you can only do about 30 pulls a night because each pull is 5-10 minutes. Then one day the stars align and the heavens open and you finally make it to the last phase with 19 alive only to find it’s a big dps check and you have no idea what’s going on and everyone dies and you hate life.
    So does W*

And my favorite part of W* raiding?

Quote Originally Posted by Same Fucking GUide
    One of the most complex and difficult encounters in DS, System Daemons is the destroyer of guilds and the eater of dreams. Being the first boss, it more or less prevents anyone from progressing beyond it until killed.

This means that, besides a few drops from Probe mini-bosses, your first kill of this badass will be done using pretty low level gear compared to DS gear.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Is this really devolving into a "MOY GAME IS HARDA THAN YOUR GAME" argument?

Avatus is far from the hardest boss, it's just the last boss. It's the closest thing to an exhaustive 13-15m progression kill boss in XIV though.

It's just usually a 20-25m progression kill with 12 more people, so you can imagine the additional challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    I hope not, since that's the argument I'm trying to negate.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post

And my favorite part of W* raiding?
    SD is actually tough even when you have gear, haha. Asshole of an encounter.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

WoW was the first MMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    SSssshhh. Just nuke some popcorn and enjoy the ride.

Sassy Tyrant
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Falisa Asile
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Only one person is making this argument into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    Major sarcasm detector fail.
    Like 90% of BG posts, ignore the joke and answer seriously.

Especially XIV section, no jokes here.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

WoW was the first MMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sheesh

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    sheesh
    I thought we had finally got around to people removing that.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

I posted from my phone while making breakfast, but considering how this topic was devolving I felt it added to the shitpost and was appropriate, so I didn't delete the signature.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

not everyone appreciates fine art

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

WoW was the first MMO.
    There's that sarcasm detector again..

btw ohi uryuu~! The TAL gang says wassup.

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    ...said the person who is complaining about being banned by said moderators. Objectively, it would seem that the reddit mods had enough of a spine to ban you.
    You're right, banning him so that they don't have to talk with him and defend themselves against his criticisms. That's some spine, there.

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    @ranting dude, it's about respect. No one is going to take you seriously or bother to slog through your novel-length tirades if you yourself can't be bothered to pretend to show the barest facade of respect for whomever you're addressing.
    It's pretty obvious that he doesn't respect them; and why should he have to? You don't have to respect someone to give them criticism is 100% completely valid. Sure he may be a bit more liberal with his word choice than most would be, but that doesn't make the criticism any less valid. Did his harsh words hurt their poor feelings? Too bad; grow the fuck up.

---

Getting back to the original point, I agree with the majority of Nikki Seven's points. The XIV subreddit is garbage and, lull period or not, the amount of "Look at my funny picture! Kek!" and "My friend just died. Please pity me!" posts is absolutely disgusting.

The only reason I even visit anymore is either
    A) To get hotlinks to official posts for things like news and updates (because they get them fast),
    B) To shitpost a few people for my own entertainment because the hivemind is incredibly predictable,
    or C) Because I'm a masochist and for whatever reason am drawn to check it once or so every other day. I rarely ever find meaingful posts there; instead I think I'm drawn in by just how retarded people are. It's like when you're looking at someone do something so incredibly stupid that you just can't look away, but instead just look on in amazement. This one kind of ties back into B.

The main difference being that I've kind of just accepted it as being the status quo: the subreddit community is shit, and it will forever be shit; they (both the community and the moderation team) just don't care enough to/are incapable of fixing it. Nikki on the other hand was more vocal about his frustrations, and look what it's done: as soon as he delivered criticism of any kind, people just shut down. "This guy is trying too hard," give me a fucking break; that's just an excuse to not have to deal with the point he was making.

A lot of people seemed to latch onto Nikki's one point about there being too much artwork and that he should just filter it (protip: placing a bag over a turd and hiding it doesn't mean the turd is actually gone; it's still there stinking up the place) is not only not a fix, it's also not his only point. I've seen almost no discussion about his point that the community does actually have a "good is bad, bad is good" mentality, which is very much a fact. The word "elitist" gets thrown around so much that it's going out of style, and I can't help but feel that over 70% of people who drop that word nowadays don't even know what it truly means.

Side-note: Eanae is a faggot.

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice View Post
    You're right, banning him so that they don't have to talk with him and defend themselves against his criticisms. That's some spine, there.

It's pretty obvious that he doesn't respect them; and why should he have to? You don't have to respect someone to give them criticism is 100% completely valid. Sure he may be a bit more liberal with his word choice than most would be, but that doesn't make the criticism any less valid. Did his harsh words hurt their poor feelings? Too bad; grow the fuck up.
    He doesn't have to respect me, Reddit, or anyone. But no one responds well to flaming douchebags. If he really cares to make improvements he could have handled it better. Instead he chose to be edgy for attention. I don't give attention to that kind of behavior regardless the point because it promotes further douchebags for thinking that's how they get shit done. I've responded to everyone here who has voiced their concerns so obviously we're not ignoring the "issue". You're trying to be edgy and confrontational too but I respect you so I'll respond.

Getting back to the original point, I agree with the majority of Nikki Seven's points. The XIV subreddit is garbage and, lull period or not, the amount of "Look at my funny picture! Kek!" and "My friend just died. Please pity me!" posts is absolutely disgusting.

The only reason I even visit anymore is either
    A) To get hotlinks to official posts for things like news and updates (because they get them fast),
    B) To shitpost a few people for my own entertainment because the hivemind is incredibly predictable,
    or C) Because I'm a masochist and for whatever reason am drawn to check it once or so every other day. I rarely ever find meaingful posts there; instead I think I'm drawn in by just how retarded people are. It's like when you're looking at someone do something so incredibly stupid that you just can't look away, but instead just look on in amazement. This one kind of ties back into B.

The main difference being that I've kind of just accepted it as being the status quo: the subreddit community is shit, and it will forever be shit; they (both the community and the moderation team) just don't care enough to/are incapable of fixing it. Nikki on the other hand was more vocal about his frustrations, and look what it's done: as soon as he delivered criticism of any kind, people just shut down. "This guy is trying too hard," give me a fucking break; that's just an excuse to not have to deal with the point he was making.

A lot of people seemed to latch onto Nikki's one point about there being too much artwork and that he should just filter it (protip: placing a bag over a turd and hiding it doesn't mean the turd is actually gone; it's still there stinking up the place) is not only not a fix, it's also not his only point.
    https://ns.reddit.com/r/ffxiv - How is that not a good enough compromise? What possible good reason is there to filter this content 100% out of the subreddit. I've still yet to see any compelling arguments. Is some of the art shitty? Yeah probably most of it but if you hate it that much use that link and never see it in the first place or downvote it which everyone seems to love to do. We've tried selfpost only days. It offers no real improvement and we even had a feedback google doc up for a while. Did you submit your feedback there for us to read?

I've seen almost no discussion about his point that the community does actually have a "good is bad, bad is good" mentality, which is very much a fact. The word "elitist" gets thrown around so much that it's going out of style, and I can't help but feel that over 70% of people who drop that word nowadays don't even know what it truly means.
    This is the mentality everywhere right now. Have you even read the Alexander thread? There's people there literally calling people nolifers for raiding. No where is immune from this mind set because the GAME promotes being shit not Reddit. Does Reddit have a higher casual base than everywhere else? Sure. I don't know why you expect it to be the bastion of endgame greatness. It will never, ever be because the average player is not.

Side-note: Eanae is a faggot.
    Love you too.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

can we talk about how the guy is a borderline stalker

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Aren't we all?

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

I don't really even see the problem with the subreddit's content. There's a culture problem at points, yes, but by and far the subredit content pretty much reflects what you'd expect from the majority of the playerbase whom would also be inclined to be reddit - casual shenanagins, pretty pictures, and the occasional humorous how2paladin guide.

I mean really, Reddit was designed to be a content aggregator, I don't really get the need to launch into personal assaults over something working as absolutely intended, especially when the NS link exists.

Side-note: I think the only thing that's going to be accomplished by all of this is that we're all gonna find popcorn kernels in our teeth awhile later. It's pretty clear there's zero intent of a civilized discussion here, and that's kind of saddening, because if people were civilized about this we could have had a real conversation that could serve to genuinely make things better. Instead we just have popcorn drama that we're all going to forget about in a few days.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast