+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

"We've seen six characters from the captain's point of view," Fuller said.
    That makes more sense if they meant shows not characters.

And, yes, he confirmed, there will feature a gay regular character.
    Ohboy...here we go again.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Hopefully not... I'd like to think the people who watch Star Trek understand why that doesn't matter at all. The series has always been about multicultural/multinational/etc ideal future where we all co-exist with eachother. Throw in some Gendernull halfduck Demirabbits if you want so long as they don't make some loud obnoxious patriarchy-smashing Anti-Yourfuckingfanbase bullshit out of it It fits completely with the spirit of the show.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Well, this is going to suck.

Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The ship video seemed off to me. For some reason I thought the ship looked more Klingon than Human.
    I hope they iron out the design, and the effects/treatment they used a but more before the episodes hit the air/web.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Well, this is going to suck.
    I really hope it doesn't. However the world has changed a lot since Gene's original ideas. Not only that, but also what "entertaining" television is. Whatever this new show is I double it'll have much of what made the previous series great.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Star Trek has gone down that road since he died.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I wonder what the "incident" they are referring to will end up being. Earth/Romulus War maybe?

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

That was my first thought too but after some wiki searches the Romulan war was apparently more like 100 years before TOS.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I honestly have no idea what the big "event" is. The only things I can think of that happened during that period is the reboot movie that established the Kelvin timeline, and the pilot episode for the original series. Both of which have been pretty well covered.

Maybe it's hasn't been fully explored in the same way that John Harrison was totally not Khan?

Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    some loud obnoxious patriarchy-smashing bullshit
    This is literally the spirit of the show, though. Star Trek was about space Communists in the middle of the Cold War where white dudes kissed black chicks on television when interracial marriage was still illegal. You're getting old.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I wasn't born when ToS was airing, so I'd say its more... generational gap.

And I'm going to go apples and oranges on this one, both fruits, not at all the same thing.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    I wonder what the "incident" they are referring to will end up being. Earth/Romulus War maybe?
    Maybe it's whatever incident changed Clingons from ToS look to TNG look? :D

Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    I wasn't born when ToS was airing, so I'd say its more... generational gap.

And I'm going to go apples and oranges on this one, both fruits, not at all the same thing.
    Well, yes. What was loud, obnoxious patriarchy-smashing bullshit in the 1960's doesn't bother you because you weren't born. What was loud, obnoxious patriarchy-smashing bullshit in the 1980's doesn't bother you because you were either not born or just a kid and didn't have a fully developed set of values. It is only the loud, obnoxious patriarchy-smashing bullshit in the context of the 2010's that bothers you because you are now an old person. That doesn't change the fact that Star Trek has pretty much always been a vehicle for loud, obnoxious patriarchy-smashing bullshit in the context of its time of writing.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Alistaire View Post
    Maybe it's whatever incident changed Clingons from ToS look to TNG look? :D
    That has been touched on before, in the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations"

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    Well, yes. What was loud, obnoxious patriarchy-smashing bullshit in the 1960's doesn't bother you because you weren't born. What was loud, obnoxious patriarchy-smashing bullshit in the 1980's doesn't bother you because you were either not born or just a kid and didn't have a fully developed set of values. It is only the loud, obnoxious patriarchy-smashing bullshit in the context of the 2010's that bothers you because you are now an old person. That doesn't change the fact that Star Trek has pretty much always been a vehicle for loud, obnoxious patriarchy-smashing bullshit in the context of its time of writing.
    I'm more talking to the point that ToS and TNG were tackling issues of actual bigotry, where as "Patriarchy" in context of my original post doesn't actually exist and is a boogieman.

But honestly I'm not here to bash my head on rock in hopes the rock decides to move, so I'll just agree I'm getting old.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'm not sure what kind of social issues they can touch on that haven't already been done up to this point. TOS, TNG, and DS9 covered so much. Just off the top of my head--racism, homosexuality, transgender (Riker fucked the alien, of course), slavery, war, PTSD, depression, anxiety, evolution, genetic engineering, use of torture, espionage, security vs. freedom, right to suicide, religion, and probably a dozen other things I could remember if I spent a few minutes browsing a wiki to refresh my memory.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    That has been touched on before, in the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations"
    Isn't that the way they said it though? That the event "was touched on before but not explored in depth" or somethin. What did they say in DS9 about it?

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

The klingon thing was unfortunately much more than touched on. Enterprise took it upon itself to address the change in a multi-episode story about some kind of genetic engineering guest-starring brent spiner(Data) as an ancestor of data's creator.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

The only major historical events that really haven't been touched on have been the Romulan Klingon war, of Enterpise C history, and the Romulan Federation war, that happens before this timeline, but from what I recall, the latter was fought without either side seeing the other until the ToS episode. If it was something else, it must have been very 'in passing' or they are making it a bigger point then has previously been alluded. I suppose it could be from something non-TV cannon, like the games/books, but I don't know much about those.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    The klingon thing was unfortunately much more than touched on. Enterprise took it upon itself to address the change in a multi-episode story about some kind of genetic engineering guest-starring brent spiner(Data) as an ancestor of data's creator.
    Yep, this is all we got