+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Star Trek: Discovery (CBS:AA/P+) - Season 4 November 18, 2021

Apparently this is a thing. George Takei just shared the article on Facebook.

http://the-daily.buzz/new-star-trek-...=inf_10_1163_2

Trekkies around the world woke up to amazing news this morning when Alex Kurtzman, a well-known player in the Star Trek feature films, announced that he will be executive producing an all-new Star Trek series set to premiere in January of 2017 on CBS: All Access.

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Please please please be prime universe...

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-...s-january-2017

Press release, not related to the 2nd film. That's really the only confirmation.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Please be reboot universe next generation. And get Donald Glover to be Geordi

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

This is a ploy to get CBS: All Access subscriptions. First episode will be aired on CBS television, and all subsequent episodes will be exclusive to CBS: All Access for $5.99 a month.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    This is a ploy to get CBS: All Access subscriptions. First episode will be aired on CBS television, and all subsequent episodes will be exclusive to CBS: All Access for $5.99 a month.
    Yuck.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Will follow this with great interest.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's a ploy to get people to pirate every fucking episode.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Yep.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Second!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    and i suddenly lost all interest

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    interest back

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Michael Dorn, in a Reddit AMA, said the pitch was a STAR TREK: TNG THE WORF CHRONICLES series. Dunno if that's what was actually green-lit.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Dorn's been trying to get a Worf show since TNG went off the air. I wouldn't put any stock in it. Worf's episodes were always the worst anyways.

What they should make is what Andromeda was supposed to be, a show where the Federation has collapsed and the galaxy is a dark place. People stumble across the last, best ship Starfleet ever made and decide to use it to start a new Federation.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    Dorn's been trying to get a Worf show since TNG went off the air. I wouldn't put any stock in it. Worf's episodes were always the worst anyways.

What they should make is what Andromeda was supposed to be, a show where the Federation has collapsed and the galaxy is a dark place. People stumble across the last, best ship Starfleet ever made and decide to use it to start a new Federation.

Also, while I don't want to start any battle of "which crew is the best crew" Whoever plans this series really needs to take the time to put together a crew that isn't garbage. I might have watched Voyager longer than I did if I could have found more people to actually like than the hologram doctor.

Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The new universe from the most recent movies would allow for this quite nicely.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

This is a terrific idea.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I liked a couple Worf heavy episodes. Not all of them.

As for the Andromeda thing, It sounds interesting in concept but I have to wonder how far could they truly take that idea without it becoming a "Gilligan's Isle" type scenario where you just kinda know every episode is going to end with a net progress of 0. Now I'm not saying that would be an inevitability of this type of thing, but I think it would be really hard to make that kind of story remain interesting while balancing actual progress toward the goal without having a set conclusion date, and with how often series are canceled or rushed it could lead to some very unsatisfying or rushed conclusions... But I guess thats the risk any show takes. I mean, It would be a lot like Voyager if you think about it. One federation ship, all by itself, in unknown or hostile space... difference being getting home vs building a new one.

Its good, I personally just don't really think I'd enjoy the concept in practice, I like the whole exploration and adventure feel that Star Trek is known for, that isn't surrounded by depression, sadness, darkness and collapse, with a slight glimmer of hope. It could be good and If thats what it turned out to be, I wouldn't discount it. I discounted Voyager for a long time but Watched the whole series and there were some really really good episodes in that series... so who knows.

There are simply personal feelings of course. I'll probably watch it regardless if the cast has synergy and its not too depressingly dark and morbid.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    As for the Andromeda thing, It sounds interesting in concept but I have to wonder how far could they truly take that idea without it becoming a "Gilligan's Isle" type scenario where you just kinda know every episode is going to end with a net progress of 0. Now I'm not saying that would be an inevitability of this type of thing, but I think it would be really hard to make that kind of story remain interesting while balancing actual progress toward the goal without having a set conclusion date, and with how often series are canceled or rushed it could lead to some very unsatisfying or rushed conclusions... But I guess thats the risk any show takes. I mean, It would be a lot like Voyager if you think about it. One federation ship, all by itself, in unknown or hostile space... difference being getting home vs building a new one.
    The show, if done right, would definitely have similar themes to Voyager and DS9, namely whether or not people can stick to the Federation's sterling moral standards without the power and comfort of Starfleet behind them or when fighting vs enemies who don't share their ethics. DS9 really did a good job of showing people in command making ethical choices that weren't quite as clear cut as those in TNG tended to be.

I really hoped Voyager was going to continue that theme considering it's setting, but unfortunately they undercut those moments by making Janeway so inconsistent in her decision-making. "We can't make alliances because prime directive!" One season later: "I'm making an alliance... with the Borg!"

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The show, if done right, would definitely have similar themes to Voyager and DS9, namely whether or not people can stick to the Federation's sterling moral standards without the power and comfort of Starfleet behind them or when fighting vs enemies who don't share their ethics. DS9 really did a good job of showing people in command making ethical choices that weren't quite as clear cut as those in TNG tended to be.

I really hoped Voyager was going to continue that theme considering it's setting, but unfortunately they undercut those moments by making Janeway so inconsistent in her decision-making. "We can't make alliances because prime directive!" One season later: "I'm making an alliance... with the Borg!"
    Yah, the writers of Voyager seemed all over the place in some episodes. The series as a whole was sub par but there were a few really good episodes in that series at least.

But thats another fear, the margin of error would be incredibly small to pull off a series based around that concept, more so to keep it going for any reasonable length of time. But It could be done.

Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

For a while after watching the entire series, my wife would continually watch the same 3 or 4 episodes of Voyager. The finale, the one with Barclay where he contact Voyager via the micro-wormhole, and the one that takes place in the future where Harry Kim and Chakotay are trying to rewrite history. I don't know why she singles out those 4, but they are her go to episodes.

I have yet to actually sit down and watch Enterprise from beginning to end. I saw a few episodes here or there and I don't remember hating it. The original series is also one that I should sit down and watch from beginning to end as well. TNG is my favourite, DS9 was a good series, and I have no malice towards Voyager but it's my least favourite of the ones I've watched.

The thought I had after going through DS9 the last time was that Sisko could have easily had a whole self-fulfilling prophecy set up where he sends the profit out to his biological mother's body from the start.

On the topic of this show, hopefully they don't go the route of Battlestar Galactica or Stargate Universe. I think those shows were hurt by the atmosphere being as dark as they were.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast