+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Shannara Chronicles     submit to reddit submit to twitter

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

The Shannara Chronicles

I am surprised it took me this long to find out about it:

You have no idea how pumped I am for this.

The Sword of Shannara was the first fantasy book I ever read, and really led me to be the nerd I am today. While I know many think the series is meh and just a Lotr copy, I still love them. The trailer looks really well done, too.

It looks like they are setting it during Elfstones of Shannara. First episode is on January 5th.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

It's going to end up like the Legend of the Seeker. Two seasons of crap

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    It's going to end up like the Legend of the Seeker. Two seasons of crap
    Well, at least it was an upgrade from the books.

^_______________________^

This looks like it has a decent production value. Will definitely check it out the trailer was pretty good imo

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Wow, talk about a blast from the past! I loved the Shannara series. If only Wheel of Time could be made with the budget/effort as lord of the rings.

I thought it was great. Very good production for a tv show

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Show is top quality; absolutely worth watching.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I really quite liked it.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Eps 3 and 4 are up on mtv.com

E. Body
    BG Level

thank god, that ending was at a horrible time lol Like, the episode packed a lot in. I kept checking the time and seemed like barely any had passed throughout, without that dragging on feeling. Then it cut out right there....

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

I'll have to watch this. I recall reading a few of the Shannara books but never the whole series. I think it was a bit too complicated for me at the time (i was like 12).

Maybe I should read the books, too.

E. Body
    BG Level

The show is from book 2, so you could start with book 1 without ruining it, I assume.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

the 2 chicks are cute. main guy reminds me of big mouth guy from glee haha
    why doesnt crixus teach him how to use the stones already? would think it would come in handy.
    why would u drag along thief girl in chains and make her walk while u head out on ur quest. would slow ur ass down too much. Gotta travel faster before fall the leaves fall off.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Watched ep 1 & 2 today. I really liked it.

I kinda cringe at some of the CW-esque stuff thrown in, but it was fully expected as it's an MTV show. As long as I make sure to look past that, it's really well done. More than I could hope for at any rate.

I think starting with the second book was a smart decision as too many would complain of the LoTR rip-off.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It is heavily influenced by LOTR. First book was also written in the seventies. They are tweaking some appearances to not look too similar to LOTR, even though they were paying homage originally.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Watched ep 1 & 2 today. I really liked it.

I kinda cringe at some of the CW-esque stuff thrown in, but it was fully expected as it's an MTV show. As long as I make sure to look past that, it's really well done. More than I could hope for at any rate.

I think starting with the second book was a smart decision as too many would complain of the LoTR rip-off.
    They started with book 2 for the sole reason because it contains women and live interests/relationships, and book 1 doesn't as it's all dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by macross View Post
    the 2 chicks are cute. main guy reminds me of big mouth guy from glee haha
    why doesnt crixus teach him how to use the stones already?
    Spoiler: show
    It will be revealed as to why he doesn't.

They are really cramming info down your throats to make up not having it from book 1. Actors/script are handling it well, besides Wil. He's got the cringe worthy stuff. I wasn't confident in Manu's Allanon, but every beginning scene in ep 1 + 2 where they are peeling back the layers if his character; I was HYPE. So he gets the credit for nailing it without looking the part.

The direction they are going with Paranor is extremely disappointing though. Was looking forward to it, and I understand tv show budget, but they threw every aspect about it right out the window. Hopefully they even include it, but I'm holding out for how they portray everything involved with
    Brennan and the Hadeshorn.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Saw the trailer on tv during the holidays and was wondering when someone would post about it... but then forget when it started airing lol. So hype though. Started with Terry Brooks way back with the Word & Void series then quickly started going thru the First Shanarra ones and iirc he was midway thru the 2nd series and kept up as they came out until the The Genesis of Shannara series ended. Now I'm super hyped to read the stuff I've missed in the meantime and gotta reread Elfstones wherever I have them packed away.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Tried watching this over the weekend, and for me I really don't recommended it. It's pretty much what you'd expect from a fantasy series on MTV, maybe only slightly better than that. It's not the worst thing ever, but it's not very good either. The style and the feel is very much an unoffensive Hunger Games modern youth type of deal. Most of the characters talk like Chandler Bing, except for the United States Elf King that has a posh English accent for some reason. There are ill-fitting moments of singing and funky music inserted into the background of certain scenes. And the whole thing is just as stock fantasy as it gets. Elves, trolls, gnomes, demons -- check, check, check, check. I guess it might be interesting if you like the books? I dunno. It's not for me.

At one point a character points to a portrait of a couple and it's this straight up cartoon looking Deviant Art worthy drawing. I laughed SO hard that I cried.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynplaine View Post
    And the whole thing is just as stock fantasy as it gets.
    If there were a large amount of non-cringey "stock fantasy" material out there I might agree this is a downfall of the show but there really isn't.

Another Islam Thread
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynplaine View Post
    Tried watching this over the weekend, and for me I really don't recommended it. It's pretty much what you'd expect from a fantasy series on MTV, maybe only slightly better than that. It's not the worst thing ever, but it's not very good either. The style and the feel is very much an unoffensive Hunger Games modern youth type of deal. Most of the characters talk like Chandler Bing, except for the United States Elf King that has a posh English accent for some reason. There are ill-fitting moments of singing and funky music inserted into the background of certain scenes. And the whole thing is just as stock fantasy as it gets. Elves, trolls, gnomes, demons -- check, check, check, check. I guess it might be interesting if you like the books? I dunno. It's not for me.

At one point a character points to a portrait of a couple and it's this straight up cartoon looking Deviant Art worthy drawing. I laughed SO hard that I cried.
    LMAO, yea why didn't they just use a real photograph taken with a camera?? Oh wait...

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Alistaire View Post
    If there were a large amount of non-cringey "stock fantasy" material out there I might agree this is a downfall of the show but there really isn't.
    Yea, it may be shit, but it's my type of shit. Hell, I even enjoyed Legend of the Seeker. This show is relatively better.

Read book 1, why they stick in this love history for Alanon? Was she in other books after? Just a plot device to explain things about Alanon?

Book 1 questions
    Alanon pretty much bolted at the end of book 1, and old aunt dies in first ep. Seemed like a irrelevant love story. And why are they saying Shea lost his mind to the elf-stones after mastering em? He only used em a couple times during book 1. Is there more on Panamon Creel?